Asheville, NC
Richmond Hill Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #1 (Taken 6/2009)
3 / 369ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #1 Basket (Short Position): Considered an island green. You must land in the dirt surrounding the basket. If you skip off the dirt to OB you can place your mark in bounds at the point where it went out. Re-tee until in bounds.

Awesome Course!

5+    12/10/2008   2/16/2009
Review By: xellotath1111
Pros: A really great workout of a course located in the beautiful Applachia Mountains. Very laid back and background noise is minimal from distractions.
Cons: Tees like others say, but nothing more than that. Doesn't hold back anything.
Other Thoughts: Yeah!!

Sllight downgrade from Original

2-4    7/7/2010   2/13/2009
Review By: bjreagh
This review was updated on 8/8/2010
Pros: This is a nice course in the mountains. It plays through the woods with lots of elevation as you might expect. The fairways are pretty well defined. There is ample parking, a nice kiosk, and a practice basket and putting area.

The area is pretty well dedicated to the course, (although it does not have that isolation feel the old course did.) The layout is good, with #9 and #18 ending at the parking area.
Cons: It still has a new feel to it as it needs some breaking in and seasoning (one of the things I really liked about the old course.) It needs some time to erase the scars of construction.

I liked the turf tees ok, but I could see where they could get slick and lumpy over time or in bad weather. They are new now, but time tends to wear out turf quicker than concrete.

The light blue baskets were pretty, but harder to see in the woods than the standard yellow.
Other Thoughts: My original review was for the old course, which was one of may all-time favorites. The new course is a solid course, but to me it is not as nice as the original. I was looking forward to playing the new layout, but was actually a little disappointed. I would play the course again, however, anytime I am in Asheville or passing through.

To find the course follow Richmond Hill Dr. (not Richmond Hill Rd.) until it ends, pass the roundabout into the parking area.

Do have the "skill" to tame the Hill?

1    6/27/2006   1/27/2009
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: Elevation, elevation, elevation. This course used it better than any that I have seen. Albeit, I have not ventured out west to play the ski slope courses, but I thought that the design here was amazing. The woods and fairways are very mature. I found this part to be odd since the course doesn't seem to be that old...but I really have no idea. I was just going on the impressions. You will need every shot in order to score well on this course. The fairways are well defined. You will be able to escape from the rough with some adequate "rescue" shots, however, you will be much better off if you are able to stay in the fairway.
Cons: Only two...and they are minimal. The tee-pads at the time we played were green turf or carpet laid down over, what appeared to be a natural base. They were lumpy in a lot of spots. This may have been attended to as it has been a few years since I played the course. The other is the lack of an open hole or two. I think the best courses have a mixture. I understand that this not always an option and the wooded holes at Richmond Hill are second to none. I only mention this because there are a lot of "bombers" out there who just want to throw a long way. This may not be the ideal course for those people.
Other Thoughts: I love Richmond Hill because I am not the longest arm...but I am fairly accurate. I think that a course like this would allow me to compete against some guys who just can absolutely crush their drives. It is a gorgeous piece of property. There must be strong local club support as it remains well kept. I felt the need to review this course simply because I loved it a few years ago, and I am happy to see that those who play it now are still as thrilled as I was. That to me shows the true character of a course. Longevity is important and can only be attained through the hard work of the local clubs and players. Thank you all for this gem.

Dude, play this course!

5+    11/30/2008   1/7/2009
Review By: Middy
Pros: Tough, tight and pretty damn long...bring all of your throws. Serious elevation changes - just hiking this course was a workout. It was obvious that the local club has done a ton of work on this course: handmade tee signs, benches on every hole with room for 8 people, impressive wooden bridges/steps. Multiple basket placements. Great parking and a putting basket. A disc golf only facility. Very nice local folks.
Cons: The tee pads are wide - but a bit short and slippery when wet.
Other Thoughts: Put this one on your "to be played" list if you haven't done so already.

1    10/29/2008   11/11/2008
Review By: danhyzer
Pros: Of all the courses I've played this one shines out as one of the ones you want to play again and again and again (unfortunately I'm after a body count and usually only play a course of distance once). But this puppy is a must play for eveyone as it will test all of your shots you have in your bag. Each hole offers some differance from the others with the exception of a few, but those few might have a different basket placement to make it slightly different. Most holes where VERY challenging. Some courses I've played I just go out there and hack away and play em, but this one was special. You could tell as you decend into the parking lot and walk up to hole # 1 and seeing all the love that the local DG club and Park department has done that this one was special. I saw Men and Women playing this beauty. Locals we're very helpful with both the course layout and what Asheville and the area has to offer (Very Hospitable People). I liked the handmade tee signs, good flow of holes.
Cons: tee pads we're of slippery artificial rug type substance and the pads we'ren't very long for my stride. Only fault. Well, having # 17's basket not up on top of the ridge was dissapointing for this traveling player, but maybe next time, right?
Other Thoughts: Like I said before, This one you'll want to play again and again and again and.....

Keep up the GREAT EFFORTS that your doing, it will only benifit everyone involved and really makes Disc Golf shine.

Solid Course

5+    11/7/2008   11/8/2008
Review By: petecarp
Pros: Great Elevation Changes, Great Views, Everything is well marked with a good mix of simple and challenging holes short and long. The club works hard to make the course playable all year.
Cons: Artificial Turf tee pads can get muddy and slippery and some are also a bit small for my long legs.
Other Thoughts: A must if youre in the Asheville area, and its Asheville!

5+    1/5/1999   11/5/2008
Review By: Mando
This review was updated on 12/30/2010
Pros: If you like challenging, extremely tight wooded holes with elevation changes, you will be hard pressed to trump this one.
A fantastic tract of mixed pine hardwood forest land for disc golf. There is a ravine that bisects the middle of the tract that you will throw over on 5,9,10 and 14.
These are the signature holes of the course. Great layout with nice flow. On #15, you will shoot down into the ravine and stay in it for 16 and 17. These were my favorite holes.
The amount of work put into this course is staggering...the steps alone had to be a huge undertaking. Very strong club support. Mountain biking trails in separate area of the park.
Cons: One very minor thing is that you will not have the option of playing long or short...pin placements on a given day are the luck of the draw, with one set of T-pads.
Richmond Hill and Seven Oaks (Asheville and Nashville) are the two most crowded disc golf courses I've played.
Other Thoughts: Asheville is a fun town to visit and Richmond Hill meshes perfectly with the vibe.

1    9/14/2008   9/15/2008
Review By: Cool Daddio
Pros: +Wow what a class act from the terrific scorecards to the mulched fairways to the big level tee boxes.
+It is was very challenging for a newbie like me but none of the holes felt sadistic so I always had that 'someday I'll kick ass here' feeling which is great.
+The light blue basket rims made it easy to spot them as the signs show multiple basket locations and most required a scope out before throwing.
+The setting is beautiful and I found it well marked and with the scorecard map a breeze to get around.
Cons: +Probably just me (as the tees were very large) but I had a hard time adjusting to the drop off in front of many tees.
+That I don't live closer :)
Other Thoughts: I changed my travel plan to spend the night nearby and so got there 8 am Sunday morning. Right from the first tee it's hard not to have that "now this is what I'm talking about" feeling about the course. I'm certain it is going to change many of my future travel plans through the Asheville area.

The challenging one

5+    7/22/2008   7/28/2008
Review By: DiscChainBasket18
This review was updated on 11/12/2009
Pros: Technical AND long! The challenge is there in a big way. Learn to play this course well & you could play well anywhere. This is a designated Disc Golf park. There are no bicycles, picnics or joggers on the course. You are there to play Disc Golf. Practice basket.
Cons: This is a hike! Bring sturdy shoes & long pants or sox for the poison oak/ivy. Trees! There are too many of them stopping my discs from getting to their home. It is too popular! Weekends can get crowded.
Other Thoughts: There are plans to install another 18 hole course on the property. This will help with the crowds.

My New All-Time Favorite

6/16/2008   6/30/2008
Review By: CaptainKickAss
Pros: This course is absolutely breathtaking. The elevation changes were superb, the course markings were excellent, there was ample parking, and the views on some of the holes were second to none. While this may not be the best course for the first time player, this is a destination worthy course for the established thrower. The design was truly inspired, and called upon every shot that I had in my bad, including a few I didn't even know I had. Almost the entire course runs through the woods, and the holes provide a great deal of variety in length, width of fairway, and direction of approach.
Cons: The only negative I can think of is that I live 600 miles away from this course, and can't play it every day.
Other Thoughts: If you find yourself anywhere near Asheville, NC...you must, must, MUST play this course.