7 Helpful / 1 Not
My New All-Time Favorite
Pros: This course is absolutely breathtaking. The elevation changes were superb, the course markings were excellent, there was ample parking, and the views on some of the holes were second to none. While this may not be the best course for the first time player, this is a destination worthy course for the established thrower. The design was truly inspired, and called upon every shot that I had in my bad, including a few I didn't even know I had. Almost the entire course runs through the woods, and the holes provide a great deal of variety in length, width of fairway, and direction of approach.
Cons: The only negative I can think of is that I live 600 miles away from this course, and can't play it every day.
Other Thoughts: If you find yourself anywhere near Asheville, NC...you must, must, MUST play this course.
7 of 8 people found this review helpful.
14 Helpful / 4 Not
Fun & challenging course
Pros: Classic mountain course. Plenty of elevation, rough terrain and trees present plenty of challenges.
- Course has great variety of holes - straight, doglegs, up & down, open & wooded holes.
- Great, descriptive tee signs. Very helpful on holes where you can't see the basket from the tee.
- Multiple basket locations present different looks on each hole. Some holes give tremendously different looks from long to short. #17 with the basket on hill in long vs on flat surface in shorts is perfect example.
- Course puts more emphasis on accuracy than distance. On many holes, getting off the fairway present real trouble. Better to throw short, but in the fairway.
- Locals put a lot of TLC into course. You'll see the truck selling discs at the course on many occasions. It has one of the largest, and best selection of discs you'll find anywhere.
- I love that the course has so many benches. You'll get a workout just walking the course, so having a chance to sit down on just about every hole is a huge plus.
- Park is for disc golf, and hiking/biking only. Always a major plus when DGers don't have to worry about other park goers.
Cons: Basket positions aren't clear or consistent. Some are in longs, some in short locations. It'd be nicer if things were uniform (all in longs or shorts, etc) or if there was a sign at kiosk clearing explaining basket positions. Probably not a problem for locals, but an issue for out of towners.
- It'd be nice to see the holes crossing the ravine actually do a better job of making the ravine an obstacle. On most of these holes, you throw over the ravine to a basket essentially at the same level you're at standing on the tee. Seems like a couple holes have a missed opportunity to make a tougher layout.
- The grass/underbrush is really thick on some holes. Definitely needs a good trimming.
- No water fountains / drink machines. Make sure you bring your own water, especially on hot, summer days. Course also has no restrooms, port-a-jon only.
Other Thoughts: Course takes great advantage of the terrain. Elevation changes and woods will penalize bad throws. Nothing worse than watching a disc roll downhill back at you or watching it sail away after a bad shot.
- This is one of the best risk/reward courses I've played. If you keep shots in the fairway, pars or better are aplenty.
- Got my third career ace at this course. Hole #2, dogleg right. The shot could have easily smacked a number of trees, perfectly emphasizing the risk/reward aspect of this course.
- I really enjoy the longer, par 4 holes on this course. They all do a good job of winding through the woods, with varying degrees of trees and elevation. They all require several good shots to get to the basket, but are all reachable even for shorter throwers.
- This is the signature course of western NC. It's not far from I-40 & I-26. This is a no-doubt, must play course for anyone in the region.
14 of 18 people found this review helpful.
15 Helpful / 1 Not
A top tier NC course
Pros: As you might expect for a course in the mountain region of NC this course has some great elevation changes (1 Flat/ 9 Up/ 8 Down). There are also several Down-Up or Up-Down fairways over ravines and hills. This course has some sweet holes! Almost all of the holes are woods holes. Holes 1 and 18 have more open mixed terrain that bookend the 16 holes through the woods. There's good length variety with 8<299/ 8 of 300-399/ 2 of 400-434. The Carolina blue double chain DISCatcher baskets were a distinctive touch.
Cons: It would be very helpful to have a marking system to tell you if you were playing to the short or the long basket position. The tee signs are adequate but minimal. The Astroturf tee pads are fine, but a few are uneven, and concrete would be even better.
Course level = Blue. (best for Advanced players rated 925-975)
My favorite hole is number 5; it's a challenging down then up drive in beautiful woods on a tough par 4.
Although the old course had some classic holes, there are many really good holes on the new course, so this new layout may even be better overall. This course is in the top tier of NC courses, so it's well worth even a long drive to play!
You can read more of my reviews at the Yahoo group "DG Course Reviews", http://sports.groups.yahoo.co...urseReviews/.
Look in the Files section for my Overall Rating notes and Hole-by-hole ratings.
15 of 16 people found this review helpful.
5 Helpful / 3 Not
Just Plain Awesome
Pros: Variety of Terrain. Very Challenging Course. Extrememly Beautiful Setting. This course winds all through the woods and is marked very well with hand carved tee markers at each hole. This is also a very remote course and fairly clean.
Cons: There are 3 holes that are similary. (teeing off from one side of gorge and the basket is on the far side.) But even with that downfall this course is my easily in my top 3 courses I've played.
5 of 8 people found this review helpful.
4 Helpful / 9 Not
Pros: This course is awesome, it is almost as if the woods were grown for disc golf. THere are fairways in a huge deciduous forest. Some holes are very long, Some are shorter. Play this one if you ever get the chance.
Cons: Not marked well when I was there, and also quite hard to find.
4 of 13 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.