Talco, TX
Selah Ranch - Creekside Share
Uploaded By: teamudgp Hole #5 (Taken 5/2011)

< Prev 1 2 3
Disc Golf Resort

5+    3/29/2014   4/15/2014
Review By: bjg314159
Pros: --Excellent design with plenty of variations in shot length and shot shape.
--Good blend of Par 3, 4 and 5 holes.
--Most holes have at least a couple of different options off the tee.
--Hole 9 comes back to the start of the course so it is easy to re-stock your water supply for the back 9.
--Two distinct sets of tees.
--The short tees still provide plenty of challenge for the 900+ rated player.
--Different wind directions can really change how you approach a hole off the tee.
--Course infrastructure is all top of the line......tees, baskets, scorecards, tee and directional signs, carts, bathrooms open, course manager cell phone posted on pro shop door.
--#3 is my favorite hole on this course. Too many runner-ups to decide on a second best.
Cons: I don't believe there is a legitimate "Con" here at Selah.

16 thru 18 from the longs are pretty darn tough in the wind......but they would play a lot easier if I wasn't throwing old discs I am scared to lose in the water.
Other Thoughts: --The lodging on-site is really good and reasonably priced. I have been to Selah in March for two consecutive years. The Corral House is great for a "Guys' Trip".
--We called the course manager due to a lack of a "fire pit grill". He had one to us in 15 minutes.
--The course rental carts were a more all terrain model in 2014 vs. 2013.....but the cart that comes with the Corral House rental is the light duty electric version that you need to plug in for a bit at least once a day between rounds. We played at least 3 rounds a day for 4 days and never ran out of juice in the electric.
--Check out Daysi's in Mt Vernon for the best breakfast burrito $3.50 can buy. No need to order two.
--I've been traveling to Texas on a spring disc golf trip for 18 years now......Austin, Wimberley, San Saba. Last year I was a little down on Selah due to my familiarity with the Meadow and Hill at Wimberley and also the CR2 San Saba courses. But really, Selah is absolutely the best combination of everything that I have experienced. I couldn't imagine going back to the original trip of staying in a hotel and driving around to different city courses.
--I travel to Texas every spring for the sole purpose of hanging out with my best friends and playing some great disc golf. Selah is the perfect spot.

Great Compliment to Lakeside

5+    3/1/2014   3/20/2014
Review By: jongoff09
Pros: This course is sneaky tough. When you first arrive, you see the water protecting holes 16-18, but you don't see many trees. Of the two courses on site, Creekside is definitely more open, but it makes up for the lack of trees with length, well designed holes using the terrain, and water.

Much like Lakeside, this course has a high par. It requires you to throw a drive to a good landing spot for an approach to the basket on many holes. The brilliance of the design of this course is that it seems like it should be pretty easy to just throw a long way for your drive and figure out how to get to the basket from there, but that isn't exactly the case. Once you think that and let your guard down, you will find yourself with no look directly at the basket and have to settle for trying to get a putt for par instead of birdie.

I always have fun playing Creekside. It is some awesome disc golf just like Lakeside. As a golfer, I love the well-designed par-4s and -5s. There aren't enough of these in disc golf in my opinion.

Utilizing the two sets of tees properly can make for a competitive round even with players of different skill levels. On the only hole where there is a single teepad, the red level player has a par-5 to play and the blue level player plays it as a par-4. Brilliant idea.

You have to really work to get birdies from the longer tees. You won't see the average player walking away shooting well under par, he would be glad just to make a birdie. The longer holes challenge placement on multiple throws, and most of the short holes have water making you think twice about going directly at the basket. I love this kind of challenge.
Cons: I'm generally not a fan of just using long grass as rough, and this course has a few holes where that is used (holes 1-2, and 7-9). Really the only issue I have is that it makes finding discs extremely difficult when they are in an open area.

There is no practice basket near the pro shop, and the only hole close to it is hole 18 surrounded by water so that isn't a great place to warm-up.
Other Thoughts: What a pair of courses Selah Ranch is lucky to have. This one complements the (slightly) shorter, more technical Lakeside course perfectly.

It is tough to pick a favorite hole. There are so many that are great. I think I will go with hole 3 though. The drive has to be precise, and the approach is made tough by trees that are lined up between you and the basket and there is water short and left of the basket that makes its way toward woods on the right that swing behind the basket. I have literally just pitched a putter 40-50' to a good spot on my 2nd throw here because I didn't want to risk going in the water from where I was even though I didn't have anything near me. You will have to see pictures of that hole if you haven't played it.

Hole 9 is a great downhill par-4. You can be greedy off the pad and try to bomb one in order to try to get a visual of the basket for your 2nd, or you can throw something safe and make sure you get in the fairway. The bomb option brings woods in to play on the left and there is no way to get birdie from there as you will be pitching out. Throwing short off the pad leaves you with a blind 2nd throw around the woods. Another great risk/reward hole.

Holes 10 and 16 are fun par-5s. Both have OB water looking to suck in your disc if you get too greedy or make a bad throw. They also have safer routes that you can still make birdie from if you are precise. Going for the eagle is extremely tempting though.

Carts are nice, but not absolutely necessary. I've played more rounds walking than with a cart. This is 2nd only to the other course on the property on my list of favorite courses I have played. Well worth the 4hr drive to get to Selah a few times a year.

Best destination ever!

1    3/14/2014   3/15/2014
Review By: BoilerAC
Pros: Course is amazing. Great selection of shots. Hard, but still fun. Played both courses at least once on this trip. Can't wait to get back and play them again.
Cons: 800 miles away from my house
Other Thoughts: Will be making repeat trips here every year!!!

World Class Courses in East Texas

5+    7/13/2013   7/14/2013
Review By: Nightlinger
Pros: Excellent design, beautiful scenery, off-road golf carts, Cookie & Sterling, challenging holes.
Cons: Not one thing.
Other Thoughts: Selah Ranch is the ideal disc golf course experience. Creekside and Lakeside are both challenging but not impossible courses and the design is great. Dave is a wonderful host and wants everyone to have a good time. The new golf carts are perfect. The new trees that have been planted are going to make these courses a bit more difficult in a few years. I prefer Creekside over Lakeside, but just barely.

The Ranch

1    7/6/2013   7/8/2013
Review By: championlog22
This review was updated on 7/10/2013
Pros: Never felt this way when entering a DG course. It's almost like you are part of an exclusive club. Only 1 other group was on the course the whole day. The pro shop is well-stocked and also had good deals on used discs. New off-road carts handle the bumpy roads and fairways much better than normal golf carts. The carts have a bed in the back big enough to hold your discs and a cooler and in my case a tackle box and poles as well.

The actual course was very enjoyable to play. To start out are a couple of holes on the easy side. Then you come to hole 3, my favorite of Creekside. A tough choice between forehand and backhand because a shot too far left is water, and too far right and you have no shot at the hole. Very risky and requires accuracy. The open drive shot is followed by a moderately wooded approach shot which I liked a lot. The lillie pads on hole 3 were absolutely huge and the biggest I have ever seen.

I also enjoyed hole 10 very much. A moderately wooded blind tee shot to the curve of a dogleg left, while the creek runs all along the fairway. The next shot is a tough approach with the OB creek very close to the basket. Very good use of the land and creek on this hole.

One of the factors I keep in mind when reviewing a course is navigation. Even without a map, the course is easy to navigate. When you aren't sure which way to go, just follow the beaten down cart paths and they will lead the way. On long distances between holes, there is a 4x4 post guiding the way to the next hole.
Cons: First off, I think the pars should be lowered (from the red tees at least). I know par doesn't really mean much, but I shot 9 under from the short tees and I wasn't playing at a 9 under level. Many marked par 4 should have been 3.

Hole 11 was my least favorite hole. There is no discernible fairway and is sort of a 'throw and pray' hole. I didn't dislike it. A course needs to have a luck factor I think, it just wasn't my favorite.

There are no bathrooms or water along the course, but that is cancelled out I think by the carts. We made it from the farthest part of the course to the pro shop (where the bathrooms are) in just a few minutes. The carts really take the need of bathrooms and water away, especially since you can hold a cooler in the cart.

The course can be really dusty now and then, especially with a cart or 3, but on a ranch that size, you can't expect the grass to be perfectly maintained after all that cart traffic.

There are no benches, which really only affects the people that walk the course.
Other Thoughts: Again, this is the best experience I have ever had playing disc golf. Dave is a man of few words, but is as nice and as hospitable as you can be. It took us 2 hours to play with 5 guys and 3 carts. The cart really saves your energy and that allows you to play more. I camped with 4 other guys and the campsite had a picnic table with a fire ring and firewood supplied. You would definitely need a truck or off road SUV to get to the campsites though. The farthest campsite away from the showers and bathrooms was only about a quarter mile away. The bathrooms were clean and the showers were hot. Overall, a great camping and disc golf trip.

good contrast to lakeside

2-4    3/9/2013   4/17/2013
Review By: Memphis Newbie
This review was updated on 4/24/2013
Pros: Contrast-- Though the consensus seems to be that Lakeside is the better course, I'm glad that creekside is not another Lakeside. It is more open and longer, and as such it is a nice contrast to its more wooded brother. Even though it is more open, the design still requires you to shape shots.

Design--I think Mr. Houck found the best 18 holes for this land and there is a lot of distance between some of the holes, but instead of compromising the design they used golf carts to solve the distance problem. Love it.

Cons: On windy days Creekside is much more exposed. You'll find more shelter from the wind on Lakeside.
Other Thoughts: From reading the reviews here I was expecting Selah to be dead flat. It's not. There was a lot of interesting elevation. There are, however, no top-of-the-world, open, bomb shots. The Corral House sleeps eight and is much bigger than I expected. Book it early, it's a deal.

2-4    3/16/2013   3/25/2013
Review By: grodney
Pros: Selah Creekside is real golf. The abundance of water shots and multi-shot holes means that you need a skilled physical game -- but also a solid mental game.

The variety in shot lengths is incredible. Not only do the one-shot holes vary from short touch shot to challenging long throws, but the approach shots on multi-shot holes will also vary greatly. In the end, you will test the full spectrum of your distance control.

The basics are all top notch: Tee pads, baskets, pro shop, carts, etc.

The exclusivity of the Selah Ranch cannot be over-emphasized. Having these two courses on land entirely devoted to them is well worth the price of admission.
Cons: A few of the holes are just glorified "field shots". Holes 1,2,7,8 come to mind. Yes, they are still fine multi-shot holes. But on these in particular, there isn't much thought required on placement. They are more like: Bomb a drive as far as you can, then try to get up and down for birdie. Any trees are sparse enough that you can easily find a reasonable route regardless of where your drive landed. (To be fair, the tee shot on #8 is a slight test, but after that the hole opens up and offers little challenge other than length.)

There are no benches at the tee. There might be an assumption that everyone will be in carts, but I'm sure this won't be the case. Benches at the tee would elevate this course yet another notch.

The ground is too rough for standard golf carts. I'm not sure what the solution is here, but just in standard low-speed driving the carts were being badly shaken.

Other Thoughts: Selah is a true destination. It's easily worth the money for greens fees and carts. Depending on your priorities, it's probably worth the money to stay overnight, especially in the Corral House.

Creekside

2-4    3/12/2013   3/16/2013
Review By: SuperBorg
Pros: We had a group stay for a weekend in the Corral house at Selah Ranch. The house was fantastic. The website calls it their "roughing it" house, but it was pretty posh, with 5 beds, a flatscreen with dvd, a full kitchen, and a pool table. The owners seem like great people. They were very nice, and seemed legitimately happy to have us. They treated us very fairly too. Like others have said, the dogs kept us company, which was cool.

This is the only course I have played on that has a pro shop and golf carts. It made for a great experience. You could easily play Lakeside without a cart, although the distance between holes on creekside makes a cart really helpful there. Where we were playing from sunrise to sunset, the carts really helped. We even had energy left for some night golf. At $20 per day, the carts are a good deal.

Creekside vs Lakeside? For me, I prefer lakeside, but not by much. Creekside is more open, which is good for big arms. Not many tight tree holes, like you find on lakeside. Maybe not as much water as lakeside, but creekside actually has a lot of water in play. 16, 17, and 18 are pretty tough water holes, with 18 throwing out to a tough peninsula. Hole 3 is a really hard water hole, I think the hardest hole to par on either course. Holes 10 and 14 are very nice forest holes.

Two great courses in one place. Selah is a great place to visit.
Cons: No cons worth mentioning. Creekside is definitely made for throwers. If you don't like to bomb, it is perhaps not an ideal course. Blue tees are ridiculously long. Good luck.
Other Thoughts: This course is way out there. Book a stay at the ranch. The owners are really nice. The grounds are beautiful. Make a trip of it.

Amazing Disc Golf Experience!

5+    1/9/2013   1/9/2013
Review By: DGTEXAS
Pros: Everthing about this course is a Pro. You can rent and drive golf carts while playing Disc Golf, and you dont have to break the bank to do it... My buddies and I go out there and can usually play 3 rounds of draw doubles before it gets dark... Both courses are awesome, but I like the Creekside course a little better than the Lakeside...
Cons: Nada
Other Thoughts: I would reccomend this to any player that loves disc golf!

Add this course to your bucket list for sure!

Amazing Shots & Great Texas Scenery!

Spontaneous and Instantaneous Innocence

2-4    11/27/2012   12/27/2012
Review By: Martin Dewgarita
Pros: Personal rank: 13
Top 1.5% receive a 5 rating, so Creekside is on the low end of my 5 rated courses, and might better relate to the higher end of my 4.5s than the courses that I consider the true elite. That said, I can't take away from the fact that this is an incredible course and that I gave it a 5 for a reason.

In traveling the country playing every disc golf course possible, I've seen the best of the best, and I definitely rank this one among them. Those I rated higher are typically more extreme/rugged and include significant elevation. That said, Selah stands out as one of my favorite disc golf experiences and I will make it a point to return as soon as practical.

Variety. Most of the holes will require multiple strategic shots before reaching the green. Many open holes, most with water in play of varying lengths and difficulty ranging from challenging to extremely challenging. The occasional open ace run utilizes water to raise the blood pressure. Many technical holes, from long placement line shaping to the ace run if you can hit your line. This course will challenge nearly every aspect of your game, with great risk reward shots. Every shot requires smart thinking and execution, random grip and rip won't get you very far.

Multiple tees. Provide alternate challenges, not just longer or shorter, but different routes and difficulty. Both tees are a very enjoyable round, from the shorts it's a much more manageable "all par 3" type of a round. From the longs it is a brutal beat down of an awesomely challenging round that will test your entire game. If you are only going to play one round, my suggestion is to play the longs, get the full experience that Creekside has to offer.

Camping on site. For no additional fee ($10 to camp, and $10 off the DG fee for "guests"), firewood, fire ring, fire starters, picnic table, a flat place to camp, and showers are all included. There is other lodging available for a fee, I cannot comment on that.

Carts. A necessity? Nah, I heard of people playing the courses without, but if you want to get the most out of your day, I'd suggest it. I'm confident I could walk both courses no problem, but I'd be worked at the end of the day(I measured lakeside long at just under 5 miles). As it was, I was still going strong after 4 full rounds. As others have said, 2 rounds is about max for the carts, ours made it a full 3 rounds but was moving pretty slow by the end. A rarity on the DG course, worth it for the experience. Having a cart allowed us to get a full round in on each course from each tee for 4 rounds total. So to us it was worth the price.

Beauty. Heavily wooded to Wide open lake view reflections, bring your camera, it will be hard to put it down. And the pictures never do it justice, it's one of those places you must experience yourself to believe it.

Replayability. One round wasn't enough, two rounds barely whet my appetite, this is a course that I wouldn't mind playing several times a month, it will continually test you and make you a better player.

Friendly staff. The folks at the ranch were very friendly and helpful in making sure we had everything we needed and were comfortable in our campsite and prepared for a full day of disc golf.
Cons: Limited elevation in play. Obviously not a fault of the course and doesn't detract from the round, just don't be expecting any of those epic elevated bombs.

Tough on Beginners. For the most part, the short tees cater well to beginners, or at least intermediate players. But lower level players will likely get frustrated and quite possibly lose plastic. Besides, if I had learned the game on this course, I would be sorely disappointed in most every course I encountered after that.

Most expensive round of DG I've ever played, worth it for the experience, I wouldn't want to have to pay this price on a regular basis.

It is likely you will not leave with all of your plastic, the ponds, though not terribly difficult to avoid will likely eat even the best players discs regularly.

Obviously the cons don't outweigh the pros, and this course remains very near the top of my favorites list.
Other Thoughts: I've played over 1000 courses all over the country and am happy to be sharing my opinion on many of my top favorites, and to play my part in pushing this course into the number one spot on DGCR.

I would love to see a tournament in action here, I imagine an awesome scene with a hundred people camping out, and a grueling disc golf adventure all weekend.

As far as destination areas, Selah comes in at my third favorite behind Highbridge Hills and Ozark Mt.

Make Selah a destination, give yourself at least a full day if not an entire weekend to enjoy the ranch to its full potential. I highly recommend it, you will not regret it.

Congrats Selah on being the number 1 disc golf course in the country.

< Prev 1 2 3