Talco, TX
Selah Ranch - Creekside Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #18 (Taken 3/2013)

The Ranch

1    7/6/2013   7/8/2013
Review By: championlog22
This review was updated on 7/10/2013
Pros: Never felt this way when entering a DG course. It's almost like you are part of an exclusive club. Only 1 other group was on the course the whole day. The pro shop is well-stocked and also had good deals on used discs. New off-road carts handle the bumpy roads and fairways much better than normal golf carts. The carts have a bed in the back big enough to hold your discs and a cooler and in my case a tackle box and poles as well.

The actual course was very enjoyable to play. To start out are a couple of holes on the easy side. Then you come to hole 3, my favorite of Creekside. A tough choice between forehand and backhand because a shot too far left is water, and too far right and you have no shot at the hole. Very risky and requires accuracy. The open drive shot is followed by a moderately wooded approach shot which I liked a lot. The lillie pads on hole 3 were absolutely huge and the biggest I have ever seen.

I also enjoyed hole 10 very much. A moderately wooded blind tee shot to the curve of a dogleg left, while the creek runs all along the fairway. The next shot is a tough approach with the OB creek very close to the basket. Very good use of the land and creek on this hole.

One of the factors I keep in mind when reviewing a course is navigation. Even without a map, the course is easy to navigate. When you aren't sure which way to go, just follow the beaten down cart paths and they will lead the way. On long distances between holes, there is a 4x4 post guiding the way to the next hole.
Cons: First off, I think the pars should be lowered (from the red tees at least). I know par doesn't really mean much, but I shot 9 under from the short tees and I wasn't playing at a 9 under level. Many marked par 4 should have been 3.

Hole 11 was my least favorite hole. There is no discernible fairway and is sort of a 'throw and pray' hole. I didn't dislike it. A course needs to have a luck factor I think, it just wasn't my favorite.

There are no bathrooms or water along the course, but that is cancelled out I think by the carts. We made it from the farthest part of the course to the pro shop (where the bathrooms are) in just a few minutes. The carts really take the need of bathrooms and water away, especially since you can hold a cooler in the cart.

The course can be really dusty now and then, especially with a cart or 3, but on a ranch that size, you can't expect the grass to be perfectly maintained after all that cart traffic.

There are no benches, which really only affects the people that walk the course.
Other Thoughts: Again, this is the best experience I have ever had playing disc golf. Dave is a man of few words, but is as nice and as hospitable as you can be. It took us 2 hours to play with 5 guys and 3 carts. The cart really saves your energy and that allows you to play more. I camped with 4 other guys and the campsite had a picnic table with a fire ring and firewood supplied. You would definitely need a truck or off road SUV to get to the campsites though. The farthest campsite away from the showers and bathrooms was only about a quarter mile away. The bathrooms were clean and the showers were hot. Overall, a great camping and disc golf trip.

good contrast to lakeside

2-4    3/9/2013   4/17/2013
Review By: Memphis Newbie
This review was updated on 4/24/2013
Pros: Contrast-- Though the consensus seems to be that Lakeside is the better course, I'm glad that creekside is not another Lakeside. It is more open and longer, and as such it is a nice contrast to its more wooded brother. Even though it is more open, the design still requires you to shape shots.

Design--I think Mr. Houck found the best 18 holes for this land and there is a lot of distance between some of the holes, but instead of compromising the design they used golf carts to solve the distance problem. Love it.

Cons: On windy days Creekside is much more exposed. You'll find more shelter from the wind on Lakeside.
Other Thoughts: From reading the reviews here I was expecting Selah to be dead flat. It's not. There was a lot of interesting elevation. There are, however, no top-of-the-world, open, bomb shots. The Corral House sleeps eight and is much bigger than I expected. Book it early, it's a deal.

A lot of fun

2-4    3/23/2013   3/25/2013
Review By: Pwingles
Pros: It's a bit less technical than Lakesides course, but it still has quite a bit of technicality. Lot's of tricky greens around water. Great use of the water and landscape for 16,17,18 area. Some more shorter technical holes using water all around the course make for a fun and challenging round. A lot of longer more open holes than Lakeside, all of which are birdie-able but still require a good amount of skill to do it. Great mix of hole length throughout the course, anywhere from 1000'+ to 200'. I preferred this course to Lakeside even though I was more worn out playing it than the other.

I think 16 and 18 are my favorite holes on this course, but I like most of them a lot.
Cons: Hole 3 I wasnt into. I think its poorly designed. But just like on Lakeside 14, just because I dont like it, doesnt mean you wont, and it doesnt make it not a ridiculously great course.
Other Thoughts: This course would be worth the 7 hour drive for me, having it on the same property as Lakeside is a huuuge bonus. Bring your retriever and some extras you dont mind losing, there is a really high chance you will have one in the water before the day is done. Same thoughts as my Lakeside review, bring hydration and snacks. Enjoy the amenities that Selah has to offer, and dont miss out on a chance to play either of those courses.

2-4    3/16/2013   3/25/2013
Review By: grodney
Pros: Selah Creekside is real golf. The abundance of water shots and multi-shot holes means that you need a skilled physical game -- but also a solid mental game.

The variety in shot lengths is incredible. Not only do the one-shot holes vary from short touch shot to challenging long throws, but the approach shots on multi-shot holes will also vary greatly. In the end, you will test the full spectrum of your distance control.

The basics are all top notch: Tee pads, baskets, pro shop, carts, etc.

The exclusivity of the Selah Ranch cannot be over-emphasized. Having these two courses on land entirely devoted to them is well worth the price of admission.
Cons: A few of the holes are just glorified "field shots". Holes 1,2,7,8 come to mind. Yes, they are still fine multi-shot holes. But on these in particular, there isn't much thought required on placement. They are more like: Bomb a drive as far as you can, then try to get up and down for birdie. Any trees are sparse enough that you can easily find a reasonable route regardless of where your drive landed. (To be fair, the tee shot on #8 is a slight test, but after that the hole opens up and offers little challenge other than length.)

There are no benches at the tee. There might be an assumption that everyone will be in carts, but I'm sure this won't be the case. Benches at the tee would elevate this course yet another notch.

The ground is too rough for standard golf carts. I'm not sure what the solution is here, but just in standard low-speed driving the carts were being badly shaken.

Other Thoughts: Selah is a true destination. It's easily worth the money for greens fees and carts. Depending on your priorities, it's probably worth the money to stay overnight, especially in the Corral House.

Phenomenal

2-4    3/9/2013   3/17/2013
Review By: Disc chaser
Pros: Creekside is an interesting collection of fairway designs. All 36 Selah holes considered, I would say Creekside has both the most difficult hole (#3) and the very best individual hole (#10) on the ranch. #3 is an awesome, menacing challenge and I would rate it as the most difficult at Selah. I would love to see some long term player statistics to see how it stacks up on a difficulty scale. The way it's designed, you have to bomb a drive and place it in a very small area of fairway. Too far right and you have no look and no shot toward the basket with your only option being a layup shot toward the water. Too far left and you are taking off your pants for a snake swim or you are headed to the proshop to buy a new disc. On top of this, the landing area is cut in half by a line of sentinel trees with fairly small gaps so you need a little luck even when you land on the sweet spot. Past this, the forest crowds toward the water leaving a 200' long sliver of dry land against the water. Additionally, the green is heavily guarded so even after a perfect drive, you are left with a precision upshot for any chance at birdie. Oh, and if you drift a little right on your approach to the basket, you risk a 'tree-hyzer' straight into the pond. What a killer awesome hole design that ate my lunch and discs both times I played it.
#10 is the very best overall design at the ranch. A shady wooded fairway leads to a landing area followed by a technical R->L turning shot out to the end of a peninsula surrounded on three sides by an OB creek. Not overly difficult for a par 5 but a canopy-enclosed, enchanting, challenging fairway design that holds your interest over and over.
One other hole worth mentioning was #15. Very nice placement of tee and basket which gives the thrower the option of going right or left. A low ceiling adds difficulty. Overall a great place to shape a shot with a high-glide midrange or a light weight fairway driver.

Cons: The rating drop-down box pairs each number rating with adjective clause. 5 says best of the best. 4.5 says phenomenal which I believe describes the overall experience on Creekside. The cons are that many of the holes can get repetitive. For example, 4,5,and 13 are all slight variations of the same short, open water hole. Also, 1, 2, 7, 8, 9, and 12 are pretty open similar holes that invite the thrower to blow an 'o' ring off the tee, maybe miss an obvious obstacle, and then an easy open upshot (or two). Not bad designs, just average and forgettable. 12 was a strange design for me. A longer uphill blind shot over large round hay bales. I didnt look forward to this hole because I couldn't see the basket or where to land my plastic for a decent second shot. Maybe staff could clear a path through the bales, or put a tall extension flag on the basket that is visible from the tees. This could be a better hole and probably will be in the future. Remember, 4.5 is still phenomenal, but this course should probably take a back seat to Lakeside.
Other Thoughts: Selah should be your next DG road trip destination. You will enjoy exceptional accommodations, you will play world class disc golf, and you will be supporting some of the nicest people in Texas. Plus I got a slightly used Star Starfire and a Sirius Orion for $5ea in the proshop. Nothin' says phenomenal like 70% off on some killer plastic.

Creekside

2-4    3/12/2013   3/16/2013
Review By: SuperBorg
Pros: We had a group stay for a weekend in the Corral house at Selah Ranch. The house was fantastic. The website calls it their "roughing it" house, but it was pretty posh, with 5 beds, a flatscreen with dvd, a full kitchen, and a pool table. The owners seem like great people. They were very nice, and seemed legitimately happy to have us. They treated us very fairly too. Like others have said, the dogs kept us company, which was cool.

This is the only course I have played on that has a pro shop and golf carts. It made for a great experience. You could easily play Lakeside without a cart, although the distance between holes on creekside makes a cart really helpful there. Where we were playing from sunrise to sunset, the carts really helped. We even had energy left for some night golf. At $20 per day, the carts are a good deal.

Creekside vs Lakeside? For me, I prefer lakeside, but not by much. Creekside is more open, which is good for big arms. Not many tight tree holes, like you find on lakeside. Maybe not as much water as lakeside, but creekside actually has a lot of water in play. 16, 17, and 18 are pretty tough water holes, with 18 throwing out to a tough peninsula. Hole 3 is a really hard water hole, I think the hardest hole to par on either course. Holes 10 and 14 are very nice forest holes.

Two great courses in one place. Selah is a great place to visit.
Cons: No cons worth mentioning. Creekside is definitely made for throwers. If you don't like to bomb, it is perhaps not an ideal course. Blue tees are ridiculously long. Good luck.
Other Thoughts: This course is way out there. Book a stay at the ranch. The owners are really nice. The grounds are beautiful. Make a trip of it.

Amazing Disc Golf Experience!

5+    1/9/2013   1/9/2013
Review By: DGTEXAS
Pros: Everthing about this course is a Pro. You can rent and drive golf carts while playing Disc Golf, and you dont have to break the bank to do it... My buddies and I go out there and can usually play 3 rounds of draw doubles before it gets dark... Both courses are awesome, but I like the Creekside course a little better than the Lakeside...
Cons: Nada
Other Thoughts: I would reccomend this to any player that loves disc golf!

Add this course to your bucket list for sure!

Amazing Shots & Great Texas Scenery!

Spontaneous and Instantaneous Innocence

2-4    11/27/2012   12/27/2012
Review By: Martin Dewgarita
Pros: Personal rank: 13
Top 1.5% receive a 5 rating, so Creekside is on the low end of my 5 rated courses, and might better relate to the higher end of my 4.5s than the courses that I consider the true elite. That said, I can't take away from the fact that this is an incredible course and that I gave it a 5 for a reason.

In traveling the country playing every disc golf course possible, I've seen the best of the best, and I definitely rank this one among them. Those I rated higher are typically more extreme/rugged and include significant elevation. That said, Selah stands out as one of my favorite disc golf experiences and I will make it a point to return as soon as practical.

Variety. Most of the holes will require multiple strategic shots before reaching the green. Many open holes, most with water in play of varying lengths and difficulty ranging from challenging to extremely challenging. The occasional open ace run utilizes water to raise the blood pressure. Many technical holes, from long placement line shaping to the ace run if you can hit your line. This course will challenge nearly every aspect of your game, with great risk reward shots. Every shot requires smart thinking and execution, random grip and rip won't get you very far.

Multiple tees. Provide alternate challenges, not just longer or shorter, but different routes and difficulty. Both tees are a very enjoyable round, from the shorts it's a much more manageable "all par 3" type of a round. From the longs it is a brutal beat down of an awesomely challenging round that will test your entire game. If you are only going to play one round, my suggestion is to play the longs, get the full experience that Creekside has to offer.

Camping on site. For no additional fee ($10 to camp, and $10 off the DG fee for "guests"), firewood, fire ring, fire starters, picnic table, a flat place to camp, and showers are all included. There is other lodging available for a fee, I cannot comment on that.

Carts. A necessity? Nah, I heard of people playing the courses without, but if you want to get the most out of your day, I'd suggest it. I'm confident I could walk both courses no problem, but I'd be worked at the end of the day(I measured lakeside long at just under 5 miles). As it was, I was still going strong after 4 full rounds. As others have said, 2 rounds is about max for the carts, ours made it a full 3 rounds but was moving pretty slow by the end. A rarity on the DG course, worth it for the experience. Having a cart allowed us to get a full round in on each course from each tee for 4 rounds total. So to us it was worth the price.

Beauty. Heavily wooded to Wide open lake view reflections, bring your camera, it will be hard to put it down. And the pictures never do it justice, it's one of those places you must experience yourself to believe it.

Replayability. One round wasn't enough, two rounds barely whet my appetite, this is a course that I wouldn't mind playing several times a month, it will continually test you and make you a better player.

Friendly staff. The folks at the ranch were very friendly and helpful in making sure we had everything we needed and were comfortable in our campsite and prepared for a full day of disc golf.
Cons: Limited elevation in play. Obviously not a fault of the course and doesn't detract from the round, just don't be expecting any of those epic elevated bombs.

Tough on Beginners. For the most part, the short tees cater well to beginners, or at least intermediate players. But lower level players will likely get frustrated and quite possibly lose plastic. Besides, if I had learned the game on this course, I would be sorely disappointed in most every course I encountered after that.

Most expensive round of DG I've ever played, worth it for the experience, I wouldn't want to have to pay this price on a regular basis.

It is likely you will not leave with all of your plastic, the ponds, though not terribly difficult to avoid will likely eat even the best players discs regularly.

Obviously the cons don't outweigh the pros, and this course remains very near the top of my favorites list.
Other Thoughts: I've played over 1000 courses all over the country and am happy to be sharing my opinion on many of my top favorites, and to play my part in pushing this course into the number one spot on DGCR.

I would love to see a tournament in action here, I imagine an awesome scene with a hundred people camping out, and a grueling disc golf adventure all weekend.

As far as destination areas, Selah comes in at my third favorite behind Highbridge Hills and Ozark Mt.

Make Selah a destination, give yourself at least a full day if not an entire weekend to enjoy the ranch to its full potential. I highly recommend it, you will not regret it.

Congrats Selah on being the number 1 disc golf course in the country.

Beast of the ranch

1    12/21/2012   12/26/2012
Review By: weeman
Pros: Creekside allows the bigger arms to air it out at Selah Ranch. The starting three holes (all par 4s from the blue tees) allow for some aggressive play but not without a bit of control on your shot placement. On the multi-shot holes, this course caters to the second shot/up shot in that a well placed first drive will yield a fair and easier second shot. Errant drives will not, plain and simple. Even with the length from the blue tees, there are still quite a few 2-able holes. Each of these as well as the rest force some shot shaping from arrow straight, slight hyzers/anhyzers, and big sweeping side to side shots. The spread of the course plays the front nine around one pond on one side of the creek and the back nine along the other side of the creek with several ponds/lakes coming very much into play. The difference between the shorts (red) and longs (blue) tees is at least a stroke on most holes and makes several of the holes play vastly different. This is advantageous for leveling the playing field among competing less skilled and more skilled players. That being said, this course favors longer arms though smart course management can yield good scores as well. All tees are large and grippy, yet not too sticky. The Houck signature signs are some of the best in the business with accurate visualization of the holes (which is important on the blind shots), the preferred routes off the tee and both short(red)/long(blue) distances. I'd rate the reds for an up-and-coming intermediate player and the blues for an advanced to open player though immense fun can be had by anyone on either set of tees.
Cons: Though the designers or owners of the property can't do much about it, the water levels in the ponds are way down. I know this saved me on at least two occasions but it would be nice if they could mark a permanent OB line where the water levels on average are. This is done on the peninsula of number 10 but not anywhere else I noticed. That's pretty much my only con for this course unless I think of something else later.
Other Thoughts: I've played some of the best courses in the south (Flyboy, Inverness, Idlewild, Cedar Hill, Roy G, Winthrop Gold) and these pair of courses are tied for best overall with Flyboy. Kudos to John Houck for identifying this plot of land and the challenge he's put forth. Already can't wait to come back, especially in the summer months when it'll play even harder. If you're coming for an all day experience I'd suggest getting a cart and changing it out after two rounds, otherwise they'll start to die in the middle of the third round. Also, there are a pair of dogs on the ranch, Cookie and Pete that are friendly as can be and like to ride in the carts so if you're playing solo, you can have a cart companion.

Long and tough

1    4/14/2012   7/9/2012
Review By: mashnut
This review was updated on 9/17/2012
Pros: The Creekside course offers a different feel, and a nice contrast to the Lakeside course. There is more distance and more open shots on this side. It's fun to have the chance to air out some long drives while still having rough and water lurking to punish poorly placed shots. Water is in play on many shots, with some smaller ponds and the creek offering some water carries, tricky greens and drives along the edge of water with wind to deal with.

There are a few holes that play a little more technical, offering some protected greens and a couple holes where you have to hit tighter gaps. Overall the course felt pretty balanced, with some holes favoring righties and some where the lefty shot offered an easier line.

The amenities here are fantastic, they're not a big part of my ratings but I still love to see courses with this amount of work put in to the extras. The tees are excellent, with two large concrete pads on most holes, often offering different lines and a very different level of challenge. The signs are top notch, I love the Houck signs, and having distance and hole layout is nice with long and sometimes blind shots. It's obvious that a lot of time and effort goes into the maintenance here, the couple wet spots or places where grass was long were mentioned in the pro shop along with reasons and a timetable for taking care of them.
Cons: I'm not a fan of long grass rough, and it's pretty prevalent on this course. A few too many of the Creekside holes play really open with a few scattered trees and only tall grass to contend with on a missed drive. It adds frustration without really providing much of a disc golf challenge. Through no fault of the designer, there's not a lot of elevation here, something I like to see on challenging courses like this. There are some long transitions between holes, though that's not a huge deal with good course maps and carts.

Other Thoughts: Beginners may find this course a bit much. There is a lot of length and the water is lurking on several shots. The shorter tees are a great challenge for intermediate to advanced players, and the longs will challenge even the best players. You'll need distance and accuracy to be successful here, hitting fairways on distance drives is one of the major tests on this layout.

The design here is top notch, I had a blast. Lakeside is the better of the two courses, but having two phenomenal courses on one property makes this an excellent destination overall. The carts are a nice touch, I wouldn't want to use one everywhere, but for a special treat they're fun. I understand the amount of time and work that has gone into this place, so I didn't mind the relatively high fees to play, but it is on the high side compared to other pay to play courses at this point.