Talco, TX
Selah Ranch - Creekside Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #15 (Taken 3/2013)
Hole #15 Blue Tee Sign

Dream Course

1    10/19/2011   11/2/2011
Review By: Clue
Pros: Finally, John can sleep at night. This course has some of the holes that John used to dream about in his sleep, in particular hole 10. The course has all the usual risk/reward of a Houck Design, but also offers a little more room to let loose on the front nine. However, the back nine is really going to make you think. Position and execution is critical on a couple of the tighter holes, and then staying dry when water comes into play is a must! Like the Lakeside course, both tees provide a good challenge and fun disc golf experience.
Cons: The transitions between green and tee are a little lengthier than the Lakeside course if you're walking, but the carts take care of that and the maps are still very easy to follow. I thought the front nine was a little big arm heavy, but it's still very fair and the back nine is what really separates the men from the boys!
Other Thoughts: I'd highly recommend making a weekend of this property. Well worth the time and relatively minimal cost to play. Of the 36 holes on the property, no 2 are alike, and with the alternate tee pads there's actually 72 unique holes on one single property.

BEST DG exp of my life

1    9/23/2011   10/12/2011
Review By: tweissm
Pros: Legit Green FEE! Yes! I know many hippie DG players hate this fact. I count this as a major PRO. Pay the fee, and rent a golf cart, and experience DG in a whole new way. This is hands-down the absolute best experience playing DG I have ever had. The location is simply gorgeous. The place is highly manicured and you can tell that a lot of care and love has gone in to creating this DG retreat. The owners are amazing people and the lodgings are stellar for the cost.

The course has a great deal of variety, from long to short, from tough PARs to birdie holes to Ace runs. Water risks, elevation, it pretty much has it all. It compares well to the best courses I have played. However, the overall experience has utterly no competition in my mind. This sets the standard for what the future of DG can be.

Cons: At least a 90 mile drive from any major Airport, but if you are making it a DG weekend, it's not bad at all. It would be tough to play on a whim.

Also, I think more tweaks are still needed. Hole 10, in particular, needs a little more clearing of the fairway, and perhaps an alteration to the OB area. Also, on hole 18 from the long tees, there is no option to lay-up. It seems a bit stringent there to force us to tin cup it.

It's too bad we can't keep it a secret!
Other Thoughts: If you love DG and have the resources to experience this, you can not miss out.

Blown away with this place

1    10/9/2011   10/10/2011
Review By: emook
Pros: Short holes, Long holes, open holes, technical holes. Amazing tee pads, amazing tee signs, amazing course design
Cons: The only con I had actually was the distance from where I live, Turns out if we took a different route it was only 1 1/2 hrs away
Other Thoughts: If they get their exposure out there more this place would be rolling.

2-4    10/2/2011   10/2/2011
Review By: frizbro
Pros: Both courses are a must play. These courses are CHAMPIONSHIP caliber - thru and thru. You will need to bring your complete game for these course, with any and every type of shoot possible.

Dave (the owner) and his family will treat you right. Make it a full weekend of DG with the family. Your significant other can relax in a beautiful BnB, while you play the greatest golf of your life.
Cons: Will need a cart.
Other Thoughts: Play the Short tees first, then play the big boy tees.

John - you have out done yourself.

2-4    7/6/2011   9/17/2011
Review By: DoctorDisc
Pros: Like the Lakeside course, this is a tremendous all-around disc golf experience. Long and challenging, even in most cases from the Am pads, the course makes great use of a huge and beautiful piece of private property with lakes, creeks, woods, and rolling hills. It's well-groomed, the pads are long, and the holes are a variety of left, right, open, tight, flat, and hilly. Championship quality in every way. The property owners are very friendly. While it's not cheap to stay and play, my wife and I had an ideal disc golf vacation here, and we'll be back.

1    8/13/2011   9/16/2011
Review By: Kamala
Pros: A dream come true! This course features alot of +600ft holes that suits just about any throwing style; however I found my favorite ones to be the select few (+/-)225 ft misdirected alleyways and hyzer/anhyzer sensitive holes. John really challenged my imagination, it was so much fun to watch how the lines everyone took worked out. While this course is definitely not for beginners it is certainly one for nature lovers as this course is kept in great condition. One of the finest I've had the privilege to play.
Cons: 20bucks! !!!THIS COURSE IS LOOONG, RENT A GOLF CART!!! Practice skipping rocks on a pond, it feels way better than watching your Eco-Star Boss sink if you try to go big on hole 18. It's 5 hours away from Austin!

JUST GO! Seriously shut up and Throw!

1    8/15/2011   9/15/2011
Review By: Brucewitte
Pros: AMAZING! I really love both courses here, it was well worth the 5 hr drive from Austin and I can tell you now, living in Austin I get to play John Houck courses all the time, and these seriously are the best two new courses I have played! John just gave Circle R a run for its money on the my favorite duel courses. Great Job! lots of big fairways and woods! creek runs thoughout! Signs are up and look really great!!!
Cons: One hole has an area of Elephant ears (I believe) in water that is about 1 1/2 ft deep of darkness, not only is this area pretty scary to walk through, but impossible to see through your disc is gone- Also keep in mind I am mad because my friend threw one of my discs into that area. Other than that it is amazing!
Other Thoughts: GO PLAY IT! GO PLAY IT! GO PLAY IT! GO PLAY IT! GO PLAY IT! GO PLAY IT! GO PLAY IT! GO PLAY IT! GO PLAY IT! GO PLAY IT! GO PLAY IT! GO PLAY IT! GO PLAY IT! GO PLAY IT! GO PLAY IT! GO PLAY IT!
nuff said

A New Level

1    8/14/2011   9/9/2011
Review By: Nascar Dave
Pros: I have played many John Houck designed courses and after playing Selah Ranch, I believe the bar has been raised. The Creekside Course may have had a little more rolling terrain and a little more water but you are constantly surrounded by beauty on both courses. It is definitely a risk versus reward course, making you play what the course gives you and can easily penalize you for trying to take too much.
There is a good mix of open and tight fairways with an emphasis on the landing zones.
There are multiple water hazards but they can be easily avoided with well placed throws. I threw par the first time on the course and like any round, I can go back and count the strokes I should have saved and been well under par, but that's the beauty of a CHAMPIONSHIP caliber course.
Cons: If you haven't been playing very long, you may have trouble here but it is still worth the trip. Just bring some extra plastic that you don't care to lose or be careful on the water holes.
I didn't lose any plastic on this course so I'm not sure this is a Con anyway.
Other Thoughts: We played the Championship Tees which add another 2387 feet of awesomeness. I would advise playing the Standard Tees your first time out unless you're an experienced golfer.

A Great Time

1    8/14/2011   9/9/2011
Review By: dduffer
Pros: An absolutely amazing course. This course is several steps above any out there. This is the future of disc golf. John spent tons of time on this course to make it a Championship Venue (Even has a club house). Its not only the course, but the amenities that go along with it (lodging, clubhouse, golf carts, scenery).

This course doesn't favor the right handers or the left handers, flicks or backhands like other courses I know. The 2 courses not only challenge you physically but mentally as well. I can't wait to see what happens in tourneys. I think you'll see that the finesse players will score better. Its not about having a big arm, its about playing the hole as its meant to be played (thinking ahead). I only played each course once so I don't have many specifics to rave about on certain holes. I know anyone that goes will love it and look forward to the next trip.
Cons: I agree with the above comments that it is not for the "Faint of Heart". This is a true Championship course. If you are looking for a pitch and putt course stay home.
Other Thoughts: Definitely reserve a golf cart. It is definitely worth the extra money. It will probably be a little easier to walk in the Spring and Fall, but would have been murder in the 110 degree heat that we played in without a cart.

Absolutely Incredible

1    7/21/2011   7/22/2011
Review By: hookem41
Pros: Selah Ranch as a venue in general is simply a really beautiful place with a very tranquil feel to it. It's a huge, very well taken care of piece of property. You get a map that will help with navigation when you pay and sign your waiver. We played Creekside first, from the over 9100 ft blue tees, and it is every bit as long as it sounds. Three 600 footers right off the bat, with water to a avoid on the 3rd. Don't let the name fool you, it may be Creekside but there's 4 ponds on this course and 7 holes that bring water into play. The 16th, 17th, and 18th are possibly the most fun finish in disc golf. The 16th is a big par 5 at over 725 ft. with water all along the right (and you have to cross it off the tee from the blue box). You throw across water 290 ft. to the 17th pin and again 322 ft. to the 18th, and the 18th green is a peninsula. Great use of elevation, even better use of water. While it's the less wooded of the 2 courses, the tree holes usually have multiple lines all with great risk/reward shots. Creekside holes that stood out to me are the 3rd, a 605 footer with trees to navigate and water to avoid on the left, 8th (1000 footer with OB all along the left), 13th is another great 280 ft. risk/reward par 3 on the waters edge, 16th was probably my favorite, and the 18th is an amazing finish. Fun factor is through the roof on both these courses. The best part of Creekside is that it's fair. Even with the water and the length, there are plenty of opportunities to score on this course if you commit to your shot and hit your lines. Houck has truly outdone himself with these two gems. Anyone that wants to experience championship disc golf at it's finest owes it to themselves to make the drive to Selah Ranch and play these courses.
Cons: Once this course if finished, there will be zero cons for anyone that isn't easily frustrated. As of right now, there's no signage yet and there's still trees marked to be removed and plans to plant some. I believe there's plans to put grass in on some holes too, a few of them are a little dusty if your not in the front cart.
Other Thoughts: ***BRING "LOOSE-ABLE" DISCS"***There are rooms, cottages, and a 3 BR house that can be rented on the property. You're welcome to bring a cooler with food/water. We didn't bring beer, not sure about alcohol but bring what you need because you're out in the country, closest gas station is probably a good 15 minutes or so. BUNGEE CORDS for our coolers and bags made our day MUCH easier! $10/play all day for guests staying overnight, $20/play all day for public (call ahead), $25/golf cart. *website also says they have season passes available, which I will certainly be looking into!*