Talco, TX
Selah Ranch - Creekside Share
Uploaded By: johnrhouck Hole #18 (Taken 7/2011)
Hole #18 Blue Tee

So friggin Awesome

1    3/17/2012   3/19/2012
Review By: slicemaster
Pros: Really too many pros to put in words but I'll try. I was so lucky to get to play this course in particular right after they had mowed and it had rained. The fairways are beautifully defined and every single shot makes you think. There are consequences for bad choices for sure.

#10 is simply one of the best holes I have ever seen and definitely ever played Requires an accurate first shot and even more pinpoint approach.

#13 was my personal favorite on this side. No reason than just cause.

#16, #17, and #18 will test your manhood fo sho and are a perfect way to close out on of the top courses anywhere. I can say that with total confidence event though I haven't played a ton of courses.
Extra bit of cool was I got to explain to two fathers and sons what disc golf was and how lucky they were to have this course so close to them. They had wandered on to the property after hearing some friends talk about it. They said they were going home to order discs and I really hope they did cause it was a highlight for me.
Cons: Ummm..................................Bring Off but I mean what do you expect in March in NE Texas. Seriously no cons. NONE
Other Thoughts: I'm so very happy this course is in my state and I have reason to make it up there a lot because I have family all over the area being that I was born and raised 30 min from Talco/Mt Vernon. I know most people enjoyed Lakeside more but if I was forced to just play one it would be this one. Take advantage of how wonderful this place is and keep coming back.

First Class DG

2-4    1/22/2012   1/23/2012
Review By: mike_james
Pros: Wonderful compliment to lakeside. Shortens up a bit which seems like a nice break, though I am not sure I shot any better over here. Just a lot of fun, really. The pins on this side require a bit more touch or you'll fly right past them into water.
Cons: Not many, I do prefer lakeside to creekside but that's just if I HAD to choose.
Other Thoughts: Just a great time on a couple of great courses. Be prepared to lose some plastic, but it's well worth it.

words cant describe

1    1/14/2012   1/16/2012
Review By: teamtapin13
Pros: these are these best two courses ive ever played...it was truely aww inspiring... every hole is unique and challenging, long tee pads, and golf carts make this a fun trip...
Cons: after playing these courses its hard to go play somewhere else...
Other Thoughts: if you havent been i would go...your not gonna be disappointed..

Awesome courses

1    10/8/2011   12/29/2011
Review By: Discgolf Bruce
Pros: Really nice layouts long long holes! The owners of the ranch are super super nice!!!
Cons: Can't really think of any!
Other Thoughts: Set the course record oct 8 2011 at the Selah ranch doubles shot a -15 under par on this course and took first place!

Superb Course

1    11/25/2011   12/28/2011
Review By: Digital Forge
Pros: Excellent layout with a variety of holes. Terrain varies from flat to hilly on different holes and there is a great mix of open and wooded holes. My favorite features are the water hazards. This course is completely different from the red (short) to the blue (long) tee boxes. As a recreational player, I played from the red tees and it was fantastic. For more experienced players the blue tees add significant length and extra hazards to navigate.

The course signage is excellent and there are benches and picnic tables along the way, too.

Finally, though purists might scoff, the cart was a great treat and is needed if you want to play multiple rounds in one day (and you do, of course).
Cons: For new players the water holes could be intimidating. This is far outweighed by the beauty and quality of the course.

The course is quite a ways from other attractions but is a disc golf nirvana unto itself.
Other Thoughts: Played both courses and it was the best disc golf experience ever.

Plan to stay all day and play each course at least once. Bring a picnic lunch and beverages or plan a trip back to Mount Vernon for lunch between rounds. Check out the pro shop and pick up a Selah Ranch disc as a souvenir.

Dream Course

1    10/19/2011   11/2/2011
Review By: Clue
Pros: Finally, John can sleep at night. This course has some of the holes that John used to dream about in his sleep, in particular hole 10. The course has all the usual risk/reward of a Houck Design, but also offers a little more room to let loose on the front nine. However, the back nine is really going to make you think. Position and execution is critical on a couple of the tighter holes, and then staying dry when water comes into play is a must! Like the Lakeside course, both tees provide a good challenge and fun disc golf experience.
Cons: The transitions between green and tee are a little lengthier than the Lakeside course if you're walking, but the carts take care of that and the maps are still very easy to follow. I thought the front nine was a little big arm heavy, but it's still very fair and the back nine is what really separates the men from the boys!
Other Thoughts: I'd highly recommend making a weekend of this property. Well worth the time and relatively minimal cost to play. Of the 36 holes on the property, no 2 are alike, and with the alternate tee pads there's actually 72 unique holes on one single property.

BEST DG exp of my life

1    9/23/2011   10/12/2011
Review By: tweissm
Pros: Legit Green FEE! Yes! I know many hippie DG players hate this fact. I count this as a major PRO. Pay the fee, and rent a golf cart, and experience DG in a whole new way. This is hands-down the absolute best experience playing DG I have ever had. The location is simply gorgeous. The place is highly manicured and you can tell that a lot of care and love has gone in to creating this DG retreat. The owners are amazing people and the lodgings are stellar for the cost.

The course has a great deal of variety, from long to short, from tough PARs to birdie holes to Ace runs. Water risks, elevation, it pretty much has it all. It compares well to the best courses I have played. However, the overall experience has utterly no competition in my mind. This sets the standard for what the future of DG can be.

Cons: At least a 90 mile drive from any major Airport, but if you are making it a DG weekend, it's not bad at all. It would be tough to play on a whim.

Also, I think more tweaks are still needed. Hole 10, in particular, needs a little more clearing of the fairway, and perhaps an alteration to the OB area. Also, on hole 18 from the long tees, there is no option to lay-up. It seems a bit stringent there to force us to tin cup it.

It's too bad we can't keep it a secret!
Other Thoughts: If you love DG and have the resources to experience this, you can not miss out.

Blown away with this place

1    10/9/2011   10/10/2011
Review By: emook
Pros: Short holes, Long holes, open holes, technical holes. Amazing tee pads, amazing tee signs, amazing course design
Cons: The only con I had actually was the distance from where I live, Turns out if we took a different route it was only 1 1/2 hrs away
Other Thoughts: If they get their exposure out there more this place would be rolling.

2-4    10/2/2011   10/2/2011
Review By: frizbro
Pros: Both courses are a must play. These courses are CHAMPIONSHIP caliber - thru and thru. You will need to bring your complete game for these course, with any and every type of shoot possible.

Dave (the owner) and his family will treat you right. Make it a full weekend of DG with the family. Your significant other can relax in a beautiful BnB, while you play the greatest golf of your life.
Cons: Will need a cart.
Other Thoughts: Play the Short tees first, then play the big boy tees.

John - you have out done yourself.

2-4    7/6/2011   9/17/2011
Review By: DoctorDisc
Pros: Like the Lakeside course, this is a tremendous all-around disc golf experience. Long and challenging, even in most cases from the Am pads, the course makes great use of a huge and beautiful piece of private property with lakes, creeks, woods, and rolling hills. It's well-groomed, the pads are long, and the holes are a variety of left, right, open, tight, flat, and hilly. Championship quality in every way. The property owners are very friendly. While it's not cheap to stay and play, my wife and I had an ideal disc golf vacation here, and we'll be back.