Talco, TX
Selah Ranch - Creekside Share
Uploaded By: johnrhouck Hole #5 (Taken 7/2011)
Hole #5 Blue Tee

Spontaneous and Instantaneous Innocence

2-4    11/27/2012   12/27/2012
Review By: Martin Dewgarita
Pros: Personal rank: 13
Top 1.5% receive a 5 rating, so Creekside is on the low end of my 5 rated courses, and might better relate to the higher end of my 4.5s than the courses that I consider the true elite. That said, I can't take away from the fact that this is an incredible course and that I gave it a 5 for a reason.

In traveling the country playing every disc golf course possible, I've seen the best of the best, and I definitely rank this one among them. Those I rated higher are typically more extreme/rugged and include significant elevation. That said, Selah stands out as one of my favorite disc golf experiences and I will make it a point to return as soon as practical.

Variety. Most of the holes will require multiple strategic shots before reaching the green. Many open holes, most with water in play of varying lengths and difficulty ranging from challenging to extremely challenging. The occasional open ace run utilizes water to raise the blood pressure. Many technical holes, from long placement line shaping to the ace run if you can hit your line. This course will challenge nearly every aspect of your game, with great risk reward shots. Every shot requires smart thinking and execution, random grip and rip won't get you very far.

Multiple tees. Provide alternate challenges, not just longer or shorter, but different routes and difficulty. Both tees are a very enjoyable round, from the shorts it's a much more manageable "all par 3" type of a round. From the longs it is a brutal beat down of an awesomely challenging round that will test your entire game. If you are only going to play one round, my suggestion is to play the longs, get the full experience that Creekside has to offer.

Camping on site. For no additional fee ($10 to camp, and $10 off the DG fee for "guests"), firewood, fire ring, fire starters, picnic table, a flat place to camp, and showers are all included. There is other lodging available for a fee, I cannot comment on that.

Carts. A necessity? Nah, I heard of people playing the courses without, but if you want to get the most out of your day, I'd suggest it. I'm confident I could walk both courses no problem, but I'd be worked at the end of the day(I measured lakeside long at just under 5 miles). As it was, I was still going strong after 4 full rounds. As others have said, 2 rounds is about max for the carts, ours made it a full 3 rounds but was moving pretty slow by the end. A rarity on the DG course, worth it for the experience. Having a cart allowed us to get a full round in on each course from each tee for 4 rounds total. So to us it was worth the price.

Beauty. Heavily wooded to Wide open lake view reflections, bring your camera, it will be hard to put it down. And the pictures never do it justice, it's one of those places you must experience yourself to believe it.

Replayability. One round wasn't enough, two rounds barely whet my appetite, this is a course that I wouldn't mind playing several times a month, it will continually test you and make you a better player.

Friendly staff. The folks at the ranch were very friendly and helpful in making sure we had everything we needed and were comfortable in our campsite and prepared for a full day of disc golf.
Cons: Limited elevation in play. Obviously not a fault of the course and doesn't detract from the round, just don't be expecting any of those epic elevated bombs.

Tough on Beginners. For the most part, the short tees cater well to beginners, or at least intermediate players. But lower level players will likely get frustrated and quite possibly lose plastic. Besides, if I had learned the game on this course, I would be sorely disappointed in most every course I encountered after that.

Most expensive round of DG I've ever played, worth it for the experience, I wouldn't want to have to pay this price on a regular basis.

It is likely you will not leave with all of your plastic, the ponds, though not terribly difficult to avoid will likely eat even the best players discs regularly.

Obviously the cons don't outweigh the pros, and this course remains very near the top of my favorites list.
Other Thoughts: I've played over 1000 courses all over the country and am happy to be sharing my opinion on many of my top favorites, and to play my part in pushing this course into the number one spot on DGCR.

I would love to see a tournament in action here, I imagine an awesome scene with a hundred people camping out, and a grueling disc golf adventure all weekend.

As far as destination areas, Selah comes in at my third favorite behind Highbridge Hills and Ozark Mt.

Make Selah a destination, give yourself at least a full day if not an entire weekend to enjoy the ranch to its full potential. I highly recommend it, you will not regret it.

Congrats Selah on being the number 1 disc golf course in the country.

Beast of the ranch

1    12/21/2012   12/26/2012
Review By: weeman
Pros: Creekside allows the bigger arms to air it out at Selah Ranch. The starting three holes (all par 4s from the blue tees) allow for some aggressive play but not without a bit of control on your shot placement. On the multi-shot holes, this course caters to the second shot/up shot in that a well placed first drive will yield a fair and easier second shot. Errant drives will not, plain and simple. Even with the length from the blue tees, there are still quite a few 2-able holes. Each of these as well as the rest force some shot shaping from arrow straight, slight hyzers/anhyzers, and big sweeping side to side shots. The spread of the course plays the front nine around one pond on one side of the creek and the back nine along the other side of the creek with several ponds/lakes coming very much into play. The difference between the shorts (red) and longs (blue) tees is at least a stroke on most holes and makes several of the holes play vastly different. This is advantageous for leveling the playing field among competing less skilled and more skilled players. That being said, this course favors longer arms though smart course management can yield good scores as well. All tees are large and grippy, yet not too sticky. The Houck signature signs are some of the best in the business with accurate visualization of the holes (which is important on the blind shots), the preferred routes off the tee and both short(red)/long(blue) distances. I'd rate the reds for an up-and-coming intermediate player and the blues for an advanced to open player though immense fun can be had by anyone on either set of tees.
Cons: Though the designers or owners of the property can't do much about it, the water levels in the ponds are way down. I know this saved me on at least two occasions but it would be nice if they could mark a permanent OB line where the water levels on average are. This is done on the peninsula of number 10 but not anywhere else I noticed. That's pretty much my only con for this course unless I think of something else later.
Other Thoughts: I've played some of the best courses in the south (Flyboy, Inverness, Idlewild, Cedar Hill, Roy G, Winthrop Gold) and these pair of courses are tied for best overall with Flyboy. Kudos to John Houck for identifying this plot of land and the challenge he's put forth. Already can't wait to come back, especially in the summer months when it'll play even harder. If you're coming for an all day experience I'd suggest getting a cart and changing it out after two rounds, otherwise they'll start to die in the middle of the third round. Also, there are a pair of dogs on the ranch, Cookie and Pete that are friendly as can be and like to ride in the carts so if you're playing solo, you can have a cart companion.

Long and tough

1    4/14/2012   7/9/2012
Review By: mashnut
This review was updated on 9/17/2012
Pros: The Creekside course offers a different feel, and a nice contrast to the Lakeside course. There is more distance and more open shots on this side. It's fun to have the chance to air out some long drives while still having rough and water lurking to punish poorly placed shots. Water is in play on many shots, with some smaller ponds and the creek offering some water carries, tricky greens and drives along the edge of water with wind to deal with.

There are a few holes that play a little more technical, offering some protected greens and a couple holes where you have to hit tighter gaps. Overall the course felt pretty balanced, with some holes favoring righties and some where the lefty shot offered an easier line.

The amenities here are fantastic, they're not a big part of my ratings but I still love to see courses with this amount of work put in to the extras. The tees are excellent, with two large concrete pads on most holes, often offering different lines and a very different level of challenge. The signs are top notch, I love the Houck signs, and having distance and hole layout is nice with long and sometimes blind shots. It's obvious that a lot of time and effort goes into the maintenance here, the couple wet spots or places where grass was long were mentioned in the pro shop along with reasons and a timetable for taking care of them.
Cons: I'm not a fan of long grass rough, and it's pretty prevalent on this course. A few too many of the Creekside holes play really open with a few scattered trees and only tall grass to contend with on a missed drive. It adds frustration without really providing much of a disc golf challenge. Through no fault of the designer, there's not a lot of elevation here, something I like to see on challenging courses like this. There are some long transitions between holes, though that's not a huge deal with good course maps and carts.

Other Thoughts: Beginners may find this course a bit much. There is a lot of length and the water is lurking on several shots. The shorter tees are a great challenge for intermediate to advanced players, and the longs will challenge even the best players. You'll need distance and accuracy to be successful here, hitting fairways on distance drives is one of the major tests on this layout.

The design here is top notch, I had a blast. Lakeside is the better of the two courses, but having two phenomenal courses on one property makes this an excellent destination overall. The carts are a nice touch, I wouldn't want to use one everywhere, but for a special treat they're fun. I understand the amount of time and work that has gone into this place, so I didn't mind the relatively high fees to play, but it is on the high side compared to other pay to play courses at this point.

A great course at a great venue

1    5/4/2012   5/5/2012
Review By: denny ritner
Pros: Creekside is one of two courses at an amazing disc golf destination. The amenities are unparalleled. The pro-shop, clubhouse, and inn are terrific. The course looks and feels very much like a golf course and the Wow factor is off the hook. (The course is much prettier than the pictures show.) Discs are very easy to find and there's very little schule to get into.

The cement tees are huge. The tee signs are top notch. The blue and red tees are spot-on appropriate with their distances for the intended skill levels.

The ponds are picturesque and well-used to provide some pucker factor on those holes.

Most of the preferred landing areas on the par 4's and 5's can be clearly seen from the tee by the shorter mowed fairway grass.

Some of the highlights:

Hole 3 is a very nice short/medium par 4 at just over 600 ft. The drive has water all the way down the left side and must be accurately placed to take advantage of one of the two distinct clear routes into the basket area that is into the woods.

Hole 5 is a short, "should-get" par 3 that can really get into your head, particularly if it's windy. The water is taunting and there's a choice to come in over the water or throw a delicate hyzer shot around the guardian trees.

Hole 10 is a wonderfully conceived par 5 with two distinct options. One option creates the opportunity to reach the basket area with two great shots for an eagle opportunity, but involves a tighter, riskier tee shot. The other, three shot option has an easier tee shot, but getting a birdie still requires three well-thrown, technical shots. (This hole could benefit from having a few more trees removed and some additional trimming, possibly coupled with a couple navigation landmarks.)

Hole 16 is a classic, short par 5 with trees and water and a challenging basket location close to the water. Players have the opportunity to take some chances and eagle is possible.
Cons: This course is terrific and among my favorites, but isn't quite a 5.0.

Why?

The huge walks that are required in between holes diminish the experience. It is a very nice amenity to offer golf cart rentals, but I don't like the idea that taking a cart is almost required to enjoy playing a course.

While there are some "next tee" navigation signs, there could be more as the routing isn't always apparent.

For me to rate a course a 5.0 it will need to be a complete challenge. Creekside has lots going for it and comes close, but there several attributes that aren't found. With the exception of a handful of baskets that are near water, there is no trouble around the baskets. There are no uphill, downhill, sidehill putts and no drop-off's behind the baskets. Overall the terrain offers only slight elevation changes.

With the exception of holes 10-11, the course is very open. There are trees and shots do need to be shaped to some extent, but the gaps are very wide. The handful of water shots are the only real pucker factor on the course.

Hole 18 affords no bailout option. Particularly for the red tee, forcing all players to carry 180 ft. of water without a bailout option is pretty harsh.
Other Thoughts: Selah Ranch is highly recommended. If you visit, plan to have at least a day and a half of playing time, because you'll definitely want to play these courses more than once.

Don't be a dirty discer; leave the course cleaner than the way you found it.

So friggin Awesome

1    3/17/2012   3/19/2012
Review By: slicemaster
Pros: Really too many pros to put in words but I'll try. I was so lucky to get to play this course in particular right after they had mowed and it had rained. The fairways are beautifully defined and every single shot makes you think. There are consequences for bad choices for sure.

#10 is simply one of the best holes I have ever seen and definitely ever played Requires an accurate first shot and even more pinpoint approach.

#13 was my personal favorite on this side. No reason than just cause.

#16, #17, and #18 will test your manhood fo sho and are a perfect way to close out on of the top courses anywhere. I can say that with total confidence event though I haven't played a ton of courses.
Extra bit of cool was I got to explain to two fathers and sons what disc golf was and how lucky they were to have this course so close to them. They had wandered on to the property after hearing some friends talk about it. They said they were going home to order discs and I really hope they did cause it was a highlight for me.
Cons: Ummm..................................Bring Off but I mean what do you expect in March in NE Texas. Seriously no cons. NONE
Other Thoughts: I'm so very happy this course is in my state and I have reason to make it up there a lot because I have family all over the area being that I was born and raised 30 min from Talco/Mt Vernon. I know most people enjoyed Lakeside more but if I was forced to just play one it would be this one. Take advantage of how wonderful this place is and keep coming back.

First Class DG

2-4    1/22/2012   1/23/2012
Review By: mike_james
Pros: Wonderful compliment to lakeside. Shortens up a bit which seems like a nice break, though I am not sure I shot any better over here. Just a lot of fun, really. The pins on this side require a bit more touch or you'll fly right past them into water.
Cons: Not many, I do prefer lakeside to creekside but that's just if I HAD to choose.
Other Thoughts: Just a great time on a couple of great courses. Be prepared to lose some plastic, but it's well worth it.

words cant describe

1    1/14/2012   1/16/2012
Review By: teamtapin13
Pros: these are these best two courses ive ever played...it was truely aww inspiring... every hole is unique and challenging, long tee pads, and golf carts make this a fun trip...
Cons: after playing these courses its hard to go play somewhere else...
Other Thoughts: if you havent been i would go...your not gonna be disappointed..

Awesome courses

1    10/8/2011   12/29/2011
Review By: Discgolf Bruce
Pros: Really nice layouts long long holes! The owners of the ranch are super super nice!!!
Cons: Can't really think of any!
Other Thoughts: Set the course record oct 8 2011 at the Selah ranch doubles shot a -15 under par on this course and took first place!

Superb Course

1    11/25/2011   12/28/2011
Review By: Digital Forge
Pros: Excellent layout with a variety of holes. Terrain varies from flat to hilly on different holes and there is a great mix of open and wooded holes. My favorite features are the water hazards. This course is completely different from the red (short) to the blue (long) tee boxes. As a recreational player, I played from the red tees and it was fantastic. For more experienced players the blue tees add significant length and extra hazards to navigate.

The course signage is excellent and there are benches and picnic tables along the way, too.

Finally, though purists might scoff, the cart was a great treat and is needed if you want to play multiple rounds in one day (and you do, of course).
Cons: For new players the water holes could be intimidating. This is far outweighed by the beauty and quality of the course.

The course is quite a ways from other attractions but is a disc golf nirvana unto itself.
Other Thoughts: Played both courses and it was the best disc golf experience ever.

Plan to stay all day and play each course at least once. Bring a picnic lunch and beverages or plan a trip back to Mount Vernon for lunch between rounds. Check out the pro shop and pick up a Selah Ranch disc as a souvenir.

Dream Course

1    10/19/2011   11/2/2011
Review By: Clue
Pros: Finally, John can sleep at night. This course has some of the holes that John used to dream about in his sleep, in particular hole 10. The course has all the usual risk/reward of a Houck Design, but also offers a little more room to let loose on the front nine. However, the back nine is really going to make you think. Position and execution is critical on a couple of the tighter holes, and then staying dry when water comes into play is a must! Like the Lakeside course, both tees provide a good challenge and fun disc golf experience.
Cons: The transitions between green and tee are a little lengthier than the Lakeside course if you're walking, but the carts take care of that and the maps are still very easy to follow. I thought the front nine was a little big arm heavy, but it's still very fair and the back nine is what really separates the men from the boys!
Other Thoughts: I'd highly recommend making a weekend of this property. Well worth the time and relatively minimal cost to play. Of the 36 holes on the property, no 2 are alike, and with the alternate tee pads there's actually 72 unique holes on one single property.