South Sioux City, NE
Crystal Cove Park Share
Uploaded By: Reinhart90 Hole #1 (Taken 6/2012)
3 / 344ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

MOW THE FAIRWAYS ON THE BACK 9

1    10/30/2013   10/31/2013
Review By: adiscted
Pros: -Only 18 hole in the immediate Sioux City area
-Lots of variety
-Front 9 good for recreational players and/or beginners
-Handful of hard pars for well-seasoned players
-couple of ace runs
Cons: -Rules state "no alcohol"
-Back 9 is brutal if you go off the beaten path; watch where those discs go, or you're GOING to lose plastic
-Houses close to fairways on 14 and 15, an errant shot can make for a break from playing to go knock on someone's door to retrieve plastic from fenced backyards
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed playing this course. I actually live in Oregon, and this course felt more like home to me in comparison to Sertoma or WIT. There's a few easy shots, a few hard holes, and a bit of play in the trees :) I would give this one a better rating, but the possibility of losing plastic is entirely too high. TALL GRASS IS MY BITTER ENEMY, and the back 9 has PLENTY of it. If someone would just mow some of it (particularly hole 11) I would have been much more impressed with the layout. A 700 foot hole does NOT need a 15ft wide fairway with 3ft tall grass on the sides. Other than that though, I enjoyed playing here. I'm actually going back today, but considering that I'm taking my grandma with me to play, we'll be restricted to the front 9 in order to have more fun than time spent hunting for discs. Open up the faiways more, and I would probably rate this course a 3.5 or 4. Throw bright colors, and enjoy :)

It's not that bad.

1    9/4/2013   9/10/2013
Review By: mndiscg
Pros: -Some really long holes and lots of ace runs make for an interesting shot variation.
-Concrete tees
-Signage (see below as well)
-Front 9 is pretty well manicured, clean and mowed
-Some decent pin locations and tree placements made for some fun shots
Cons: -The back 9 is only for disc golf and as a results doesnt get as much attention as the rest of this multi use park
-Some of the landing areas on the longer holes are a bit ridiculous and could afford to be widened
-Could lose a disc in the tall grass or maybe the water with a real bad throw
-The signage is that really vague kind with stickers on a white background. It is fine if you can see just one hole but if you can't see any or can see more than one it is a problem. The signs are also mounted right into the tees which is annoying.
-The flow is ok through the front 9 but isn't as good through the back 9. Some navigation signs would be very helpful.
Other Thoughts: This course had a decent fun factor for me with a lot of different lengths of shots as well as some danger with the water and tall grass on the back 9. The grass wasn't as ridiculous as it seems to have been for other reviewers. This course is about the same quality as the other two in the SC area. It gets a little boost for being 18 instead of 9. None of the courses are truly worth a stop but none will severely disappoint either. This course could really improve with a little more maintenance including better mowing, and better signage on some of those longer holes.

Not as Bas as it Looks

1    6/17/2013   6/18/2013
Review By: msfried53
Pros: I found a wide variety of shots on this course. For the shorts came some longs, for the open came some wooded and everything in between. Seemed to be a good blend of left and right.

I myself found the 400' narrow lane number 7 to be my favorite hole, it forces some placement and control golf. Just playing smart after an arrant drive, I was able to get up and down for par 5 after missing my 20' for 4.

The front was well manicured as well.
Signs on every tee were informative enough to guide me to the right area and next tee.
Cons: The major thing that I did not like on this course was that the tee signs were place right on the back right corner of the tee. I found myself have to step over an extra foot to not feel crowded in.

The majority of the fairways on the back have some thick tall grass right off of them which can be a nuisance, although still somewhat easy to spot your disc. Along with that, some of the fairways on the back only have a couple passes with the mower and are not very generous. My main gripe was with 11, it had a fairway but just randomly snaked down to the basket, it didn't have any logical path to it.

All the holes with potential water seem to be favored for the right handed player for the fade away from it. Not a problem for me but others might have a gripe with it.

On a smaller scale, you are dealing with a walking path that parallels several holes. Not a big deal but you just have to be alert for people.
Other Thoughts: A decent course overall that is for sure worth a play if you are in the area. If the fairways were mowed up a little bit larger and a more typical golf route I would bump this course up a little bit but for now, I can't give it more than state, but should be rated higher than the overall current rating is at.

Same junk different year

1    6/17/2013   6/17/2013
Review By: Chad Churchill
Pros: Same as the other reviews
Front nine was mowed good and fairly easy to follow signs
Cons: Back nine has 10' wide mowed lanes and shoulder high grass for the rest. Luckily I didn't lose any disc... I don't know how
#7 needs to be trimmed back a little wider...unless you can throw your disc down a 10' corridor for 700'
Other Thoughts: I had fun on this course but like everyone else says...with a lot of work this could be a real good course. Not sure why the city only mows a 10' path for the fairways.
I did see 4 deer bedded down on #7...I think they were waiting to see if I lost a disc....lol

I would play this course again...not bad but has potential to be great with some work

Better than the reviews lead on

1    7/22/2011   7/24/2011
Review By: Rob Martin
This review was updated on 8/20/2011
Pros: Nice park with shelters, restroom, garbage cans, concrete tee pads. For a right hander, has some challenging anhyzer shots (2, 6), tunnel shots, a couple of tight OB lines (13, etc.).
Cons: Hole 7 is a ridiculous tunnel shot through the woods. Hole 11 & 16 rough was at least 40", with the grass tassels over 6' tall. Most farmers would bale this hay. Living in Kansas though, crazy as it may sound, I found the grass a little more forgiving in that it didn't tear at your skin when you walked through it. Hole 17 tee pad was still under water. The Missouri River 2 miles away is at historic flood levels causing other bodies of water to not drawn well, this pond included. I just teed off 3' to the left of it.
Other Thoughts: Mainly, the other reviews are very good in their detail, but a little harsh in their score. This course is better than the average 0.83 given to it so far.

Potential...but only potential

2-4    6/15/2011   6/25/2011
Review By: Schuur451
Pros: The park itself is very nice. There are easily accessible bathrooms, and people seem genuinely interested in what you are playing. I've explained to sport to at least three people while playing now.

There is lots of potential. The front nine have some interesting shots, especially when it comes to tree cover/water hazard involvement. Selecting overhand/straight shots can come into play, though I think big s-curve or straight shots will typically serve you better.I love wooded shots, and there are a couple which use the space moderately well.

The back nine offer some variation in elevation as well as hole length. There is at least one good uphill shot, as well as a 700' par 5 that has the potential to really let you rip your driver. Many of the back nine shots are relatively open, however.
Cons: While not every hole can be super interesting, there do seem to be several throw-away holes. The two shortest holes on the course are around 150' or less, and will be aced frequently.

The wooded shots on the front nine are extremely tight. The par 5 that winds through the trees is overly tight in the fairways, and it is next to impossible to get more than 100' out of any throw unless it's perfect. I love wooded shots, but this seems too unforgiving to me.

There is some interference from the walking trail, and I've had joggers give me dirty looks before. I don't think this is a big issue, though, we all have to share the park.

The back nine is where the trouble begins. The lengthy par 5 has not been mowed at all as far as I can tell, and is mostly swamp anyway. I've lost one disc in the two play-throughs on the course, and have talked to several other people who have lost their discs on this hole as well. Several other holes on the back nine are unmowed, making every throw dangerous. I skipped three holes on the back nine on my second time through to avoid this.

Hole 17 is placed on a very narrow strip of open land between a belt of trees and the lake. With the water level being higher this summer there is a scarce 15' of space for the majority of the fairway.
Other Thoughts: If it stops raining and the land has a chance to dry out, I think they should be able to mow the back nine a little bit better. If their plan was to leave it unmowed this course will remain only partially playable.

There should be better markings to direct people to the course, and an overall map would be nice.

I was very excited to have an 18 hole course in the area, and even more excited to have an alternative to Sertoma Park (which I do still like). This course, however, is a big disappointment so far. There are major maintenance issues that need to be addressed, and if they are not addressed, the course should be shortened to 12-14 holes that are more thoughtfully placed.

1    6/2/2011   6/9/2011
Review By: happytree290
Pros: This course has some creative holes. And the layout is okay.
Cons: This course really needs a makeover. I know it's new but some of the baskets and tees were poorly placed. Several tees are hidden away in the long grass, and on some of the holes they obviously did NOT mow the grass. Making it difficult to locate your disc after a throw. I really think this course needs a lot more maintenance. They maintain the open holes pretty well, but that doesn't make up for having to throw down a fairway that has grass that is nearly as tall as me.
Other Thoughts: Understanding this is a new course. It does have the potential to be better. The holes are somewhat creative, and provide some challenge, but unless they deal with the grass issue, I won't give this a higher rating.

i guess you could call it a course?

1    5/31/2011   6/1/2011
Review By: wolf pack
This review was updated on 4/2/2012
Pros: I enjoyed most of the front nine of this course. It's in pretty good shape and most holes have challenging obstacles.
Cons: The signs point in the general direction of the holes but if the hole is not in sight chances are you'll be lost. although i thought this was a fairly new course i found it under kept. some holes of the back nine were completely covered in tall grass and when i went to play they were flooded.
Other Thoughts: Honestly i had high hopes when i heard there was another dg course in the sioux land area, but when i got there my expectations were anything but filled. With a lot of work this could be a great course.