Cypress, TX
Texas Army Trail DGC Share
Uploaded By: Xian Hole #11 (Taken 9/2011)

Increasingly Disappointing

5+    11/10/2012   2/14/2012
Review By: jimjohnmarks
This review was updated on 2/20/2013
Pros: The only course I know of in Harris County that gives you the slightest sense of what it is like to play this game outside of the state of Texas.
Cons: Apparently no one responsible for the design of this course has ever played McClain Park in San Antonio. If they had, they would have the balls to stand up to the ace-run obsessed complainers who have obviously demanded that this course be ruined for the sake of their bragging rights.

Every time you play this course, it will be a bit less like those outside of Texas, and a bit more like every other course in Harris County.

Despite making the fairways ever wider, they leave the underbrush just as dense all around. You can still lose a disc on almost every hole, you'll just have less excuse for having not kept it on the fairway. The course would have been much better served by thinning out the rough and keeping the links themselves narrow and challenging.
Other Thoughts: Take a weekend trip to San Antonio. Dine on the Riverwalk, see the Alamo, and then go throw a round (or two) at McClain Park DGC. Then come home and throw Texas Army Trail and remember what it looked like a year ago and what it looks like now.

Then weep over lost opportunities.

AFTER they put in the course signage, they have since moved a number of baskets closer to the tees (making the signs both wrong and confusing).

Every time I throw here, things get a bit wider, a bit shorter, a a bit straighter and the baskets get less and less well protected.

What a shame.

The first time I threw this course I threw a 70 and thanked gawd above it wasn't more like 85.

These days I'm having a horrible round if I can't throw below 60 and my game hasn't improved THAT much in the past year.

It used to be worth battling the traffic past the Galleria to get dog fights with the solo-driver F-350's on 288 because this course challenged and improved my game every time I threw here.

Now? I'll save myself the hour in the car and throw at TC Jester. The course is no less challenging at this point and there's far less risk of losing a disc.