Cypress, TX
Texas Army Trail DGC Share
Uploaded By: Xian Hole #11 (Taken 9/2011)

Too Much of a Good Thing?

1    11/16/2013   11/18/2013
Review By: Texconsinite
Pros: My initial impression of this course, seeing the first few holes in the field, was hoping that the whole course wasn't just wide open.
Be careful what you wish for.
This course has a nice concrete long tee on each hole, and a nice sign with distance to both basket positions. Also, each sign has something I've never seen before on a course. A picture of basket on the bottom right of each sign, with a camera logo on each hole map to show the view the picture was taken from. This really helps with the MANY blind shots on this course, and saves first-time players like me the trouble of having to scout out every hole. Kudos to designers for that

This course offers a ton of variety: Some more open holes to warm up, then woods, woods and more woods, with water lurking in spots.
The course design really makes good use of what's there. The first few holes that play through the open field make good use of late trouble, at least in the long baskets.
On the field holes, just because of the terrain available, the short baskets are pretty open, but the long basket spots are really tucked into the woods with some interesting challenges on every one.
Also, the small trees planted in the field will grow into interesting, fairly wide fairways given a few more years, which will make the short baskets less of a drop-off from the tricky long placements

This course, from the current concrete tees, is probably the hardest course I have played in the Houston area so far. The course does not favor right or left-handed throwers, either way you will have to make shots that are difficult for you. Accuracy is rewarded here, the shule is thick, so staying on the fairways is key to shooting well on this course, as well as throwing far.
Many holes are blind throws off the tee, which only adds more challenge
On top of the long blind fairways. This course does a great job of throwing late trouble at you. Wherever possible, they have tucked the baskets amongst guardian trees, making precise approaches as important as accurate drives. This course does not give you an easy way out. You will need multiple good to great shots on each hole to shoot well.
Though the fairways are fairly narrow, they are very clean and intentional. The rough here is thick and punishing, but there is always a line if you stay on the fairway, so it again rewards accuracy, as a well-designed course should. There are not pro-spike hyzer routes on these holes, the thick foliage does a great job keeping big arms honest, and thus when I call this a championship course, I mean that it is a challenge no matter how far you can rip it. Most courses this length are significantly less wooded, but I prefer courses like this that force accuracy
This course also uses water for two memorable holes, where you must throw a right curve over the river/bayou/creek thing off the tee to carry the water. The designers mercifully made these two among the shortest holes on the course, allowing for birdie opportunities for those who make the scary shot.
Also, some elevation comes into play on this course. The designers have put baskets on these inclines where possible to create rollaway and high-risk putts, also a nice challenge on the course.

This course has great Par markings, all the holes that are marked par 4's are legitimate multi-drive holes, with the basket in either setting. This also adds to the challenge, since it allows this course to stretch you even more than all the long par 3's do.
Overall, this is a championship difficulty course that will test your skills and will force you to earn par. There are no throwaway holes here, every one has forces you to think and almost all are quite challenging, but very intentionally so. This course is hard, by design, and uses the limited elevation and water very well, in combination with the thick woods these fairways are carved out of
Cons: Did I mention that this course is very difficult and long? It is very tough to get pars out here, and ace runs are not part of the picture.
Its tough because you have to throw straight or avoid shanking into thick shule that's hard to even tomahawk over once youre in it, but the fairways are all blind and curve, so you need to hit precise lines around blind curves or be punished

The course has no bathrooms, which is annoying because it takes awhile to play. The arrows pointing to the next tee are well-placed, but they are only laminated paper and starting to fall apart from rain. They are much needed for navigating the course, and should be replaced with something more permanent. I was able to navigate course, but we did see several groups wandering around lost after they played the first few holes in the field.
This course was very intentionally designed. Many courses will have early or late trouble, this course kinda throws it all at you. In many cases, you throw several good drives to get around the blind curves, and when you get up to the basket, it is tucked deep amongst thick trees. Sometimes it just felt like too much. The short basket placements are all difficult and well protected, and the long ones are all significantly harder. I found myself wondering why they needed a longer basket spot in many cases, since the shorter one is already quite challenging. This speaks to my level of play, but also the length and challenge of this course.
When I looked this course up online, I thought wow the long tees look tough, but the multiple tees on every hole shown in tee signs will be great for my wife (not a distance thrower) so she can play from the short tees and have fun on this course, and I can play from mediums since its my first time here.
The only tees are the longs, which are tough even for me. My wife did not like the course much, because she doesn't have enough distance to par most of these. I love the design and layout, but you could have quicker rounds from the medium tees and it would still be quite challenging. Some longer courses have a nice mix of short, birdie opportunities mixed in. This one feels like its set up for a PDGA tournament length.
The tee maps have the medium and short tees marked, and distances for them, but walking the course, I was struck that there are no pads, or any kind of marking for the other tees whatsoever. Not even a post in the dirt. I could tell kindof where the other tees would go. It even seems like the trees are cleared off and the ground is leveled out in spots that seem to match up with where the map says they should be.
Walking up to those areas, I got very excited, imagining the shots from these spots. The shorter tees really do change the holes, not just subtracting distance, but also taking the first blind curve out of many fairways. Because of the way this course is designed, the medium and short tees would still be very interesting on almost every hole. Many of them would still be blind shots, and the well-protected baskets remain hard to park in either case. The pars wouldn't even need to be changed, presuming that for someone throwing from the shorts (my wife), 350 ft of tight tree tunnel is still a tough 4.
The short tees would have many midrange shots off the tee for a player like myself, and quite a few ace runs, but it still forces accuracy.
My point is this. I was ok playing the long tees, but I would LOVE to play this course form the mediums, and I think newer players or more finesse players would really enjoy playing from the shorts. Right now, this course appeals to the advanced players, but dang its hard. Just putting a colored stake in the ground and having dirt tees would make a big difference, and make this course way more fun for me, and fun for players like my wife. The holes still look challenging from the middle tees, and it would make the course play like 36 holes.
I say this with a big asterisk, because this course hasn't been very long, but I look forward to the day the curators stick some posts in the ground and at least mark the other pads. I will gladly rate this course higher once this has changed. I really wanted to like this course more, but the tee signs kept reminding me of what the holes could've been.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed this course, and I understand why you would put in the longest tees first:
-You can have tournaments right away and challenge the best players
-Once you have the land for the long holes approved by parks dept, it makes sense to get them in so that whole area is now DG designated
Its way easier to just put up the shorter tees afterward, once the long fairways are already clear and the holes are figured out.
This course has some interesting holes, I just think that for most golfers, these holes would be more fun from the shorter tees, instead of SO hard like it is now

Most courses don't have the space to put 3 tees on each hole. This is an awesome feature, and this will play like 3 different courses with the 3 sets of tees in. Even if the other 2 are dirt, I think many golfers will choose to play from mediums if there is just a colored post there

I'm sure this will be added in coming years,and I look forward to coming back and checking it out

BRING WATER AND BUG SPRAY, its a long round full of skeeters otherwise

Not Easy To Maintain Par

5+    6/13/2013   6/14/2013
Review By: bogeymanjr
Pros: This course has every possible difficulty that a disc golfer could think of encountering on any one course. There are quite a variety of holes here. From open and easy to tight and restricting due to many trees in some fairways. I have always appreciated a good challenge and this course has it. Very difficult to stay on par due to elevated basket or tough curving fairways. A disc golfer is challenged to throw the straightest shot they can throw or risk fading off into some unforgiving brush. I have played my share of these type of courses and have found them to keep me on my toes, so to speak. My favorite hole here is 13 with its throw over a mini gorge bordering Cypress Creek. A throw must have enough hyzer on it to get it over the opposite gorge wall and through an opening between two trees with brush on either side. The distance is only 199 feet to the basket and I have deuced this hole twice. This course is such with the level of difficulty that I feel it ranks up there with some of the better courses in the Austin area. It also proves that holes do not have to be particularly long to be tough or challenging.
Cons: There are no restrooms here but there are plenty of trash cans and places to sit at almost every tee. Lots of brush to deal with and plenty of trees in the woody part of the course. I see alternate tees on the signs but I do not see them marked anywhere on the course, so I guess that is best guess as to the exactness as to their location.
Other Thoughts: My recommendation for this course if you want to score well: bring your straightest throwing discs. I have done well with my JLS, Viking, and Avenger SS. A floating disc is not necessarily needed unless a throw is made off of hole 18 over the creek. This is a well-maintained good course and definitely a worthy challenge.

Maybe Too Unforgiving

1    2/15/2013   2/27/2013
Review By: Frasier
Pros: One of the good things about this course is that it is well maintained. The tee boxes are all cement, and the baskets are, if not pristine, at least functional. The course is also well marked with signs at the beginning of every hole and directions between many of the holes. The directions were particularly useful in the heavily forested section where I would have been completely lost, but even on my first time playing the course I was never confused about where to go.

The course layout itself is interesting and varied. The course includes doglegs in both directions, long straight holes, and short approach and putt holes. Every hole is like an interesting new puzzle that must be solved.
Cons: The most notable aspect of this course which I have not mentioned yet is the incredible difficulty. The first four holes are open, but after that every hole winds through thick forest and is constrained to incredibly narrow fairways. By the second nine I was relieved to see that any fairway was ten meters wide, because they were often much narrower. I consider myself an experienced player but I often double or triple bogeyed after bouncing back and forth between the brush on each side of the fairway.

This difficulty would have been one of the the courses greatest strengths except that the difficulty often seemed unfair and frustrating rather than fun. Often many trees were located in already narrow fairways which made strategies and skill irrelevant. Hitting or missing the trees was simply a matter of luck. Also several of the holes are elevated a meter off the ground which makes putting consistently much harder.
Other Thoughts: This course is very good due to its good maintenance and interesting variety, but the frustration prevents this course from being excellent. If some of the random aspects of this course are reduced then it could be one of the best in the Houston area. Ultimately if you enjoy a difficult course this is definitely worth a try.

Control freak

1    9/16/2012   9/16/2012
Review By: Eluwak5447
Pros: This course has the opportunity to be a gem. The concrete tee pads are nice as are the seats and or benches at every hole. The last throw over the creek is very memorable.
Cons: The course was litered with old appliances rusting in the woods. I saw a fridge and a oven. Why hasn't this been cleaned? Also the white and red tees need to be marked better than using some flags that can blow way or get knocked down. We had a tough time finding the shorts.
Other Thoughts: This course is tough but rewarding when you put that perfect touch on your disc to fly around each tree and bird a 300+ shot in the shire. Check it out, you'll only want to play it again.