Holt, MI
Burchfield Park - Devil's Den Share
Uploaded By: DirtyMittenDG Hole #18 (Taken 8/2011)
3 / 222ft.   3 / 350ft.   3 / 243ft.   3 / 367ft. Par / Distance:

Someone sold their soul for this course!

2-4    10/13/2013   10/14/2013
Review By: BogeyNoMore
This review was updated on 7/9/2014
Pros: Sorry for the length, but there's a lot worth mentioning, starting with a beautiful course in a beautiful park that was fairly litter free. Everything 1s well maintained and in great shape. Attention to detail is apparent everywhere you look.

• Disc Play:
+ Trees and elevation well utilized throughout; nothing huge but definitely a factor - keeps you engaged the entire round.
+ Fairly open design allows for numerous routes to the pin. Most holes are sparsely dotted with well-placed stands of trees and brush, forcing you to make decisions on the tee. Relatively few holes were "point and shoot."
+ Really doesn't favor lefties/righties, FH/BH/OH... it favors players who can adapt their game to avoid obstacles (including judicious use of OB) and execute. Evidenced by some tee signs displaying different distances for lefty/righty routes. Provides plenty of variety. You may not need every shot in your bag… then again, you might.
+ Wonderful execution of dual tees with full time dual pins (and some occasionally masterful placement) allows you to select the level of challenge you want. Yellow tees are longer than the blues, and typically have tighter/tougher lines to hit. Yellow pins were not only much longer, but better protected than the blues, with trickier approaches... so well done it merits elaboration:
• Short Tees/Short Pins: fun for experienced players without being too intimidating for beginners.
• Long/Short: increases distance while requiring more accuracy off the tee.
• Short/Long: requires even more distance than Long/Short plus greater accuracy on approaches.
• Long/Long presented a suitable challenge to local Pros I saw playing.
Consider that sometimes the tees/pins on a given hole are at different elevations, and the "season to taste" layout scheme truly provides expansive variety as well as red, white, blue and gold level challenge, allowing any skill level to "appropriately" use pretty much every type of disc off the tee.

• Equipment: Wonderfully maintained, everything's in tip-top condition.
+ Quality tee markers at all tees show layout, pin locations and accurate distances along - some even show different distances for different routes.
+ Yellow/blue flags on baskets help you spot Chainstars hidden among the trees from a distance, and help gage wind.
+ Concrete tees are level, large enough for reasonable run-ups, provided excellent footing and in great shape.

• Routing/Nav: Course is fairly well secluded from other park activities - I've seen very few non DG'ers in this section of the park. Flows pretty well for the most part, but there are a few spots where finding the next tee is less than intuitive. Fortunately, they've provided plenty of help:
+ Signs with the next hole # and an arrow pointing the way.
+ Mowed paths from green to next tee scream "that-a-way."
+ Map on back of scorecard.
+ Concrete tees and tee markers are fairly easy to spot as you make your way around the course.

• Aesthetics - Plenty of eye appeal and some special touches (11's long tee and 18's long pin) show they put time, effort, and money into this. Nicely manicured fairways, tees and greens all look wonderful (I hope they hold up well to traffic over the years). Feels very much like country club disc golf, everything's nicely groomed and beautifully presented.

• Extras:
+ Clean bathrooms with running water located near the parking lot.
+ Scorecard/map & pencils available near parking lot closest to 1st tee.
Cons: This really is a great course. It doesn't need gimmicks like:
• Gimmick 1: The wall in front of 2's long tee is artificial, contrived, and stupid. The ultimate Mando? Perhaps, but playing long tees to long pins is challenging enough. Toquote Ronald Reagan "...tear down this wall!"
• Gimmick 2: 17's "reverse" island green, where the "green" is defined as OB. Fascinated at first, my 2nd time around, I realized it's just dumb: if you hit metal off the tee and chain out, you take a stroke? That's BS. Tourney rules (posted on a temp sign) called for a conventional island green: land inside the zone or shoot from the drop zone with a stroke penalty - makes a lot more sense. But unlike the wall, you can play this however you want.
• Not that the course lacks shot variety, and maybe it's just me, there are no tunnel shots that really force one specific line and dare you to execute it. If nothing else, their more claustrphobic nature changes the feel of a hole. While Devil's Den requires you to hit some tight windows, you never have to thread a shot a long way through a gauntlet, nor does it have even a small smattering of densely wooded holes. These elements would make the course more complete.
• 11 and 15 play parallel and close to each other. While I was playing 15, a disc thrown from 11 came fairly close to me - there seems to be enough room available to avoid this.
• Much of the rough is the kind of low lying prairie grass, weeds, and burrs that serves no purpose other than to make looking for discs miserable and frustrating without affecting disc play. More on point, bad shots aren't necessarily penalized.
• While the tee distances seem quite accurate, the fairway shapes/pin locations as illustrated often seemed exagerated, to the point of being misleading in some cases.
Other Thoughts: They got all the big things right, and most of the little ones, too. Attention to detail and little touches are everywhere. The result is a 1st class course that's polished and suitable for any tournament or player.
• Not sure how typical wind is here, but it definitely affected my disc choice and shot selection on this relatively open course.
• One element (employed on 2-3 holes) I haven't seen elsewhere: baskets sunk into a large depression in the ground. Hence, approaches that roll are likely to help rather than hurt, as they roll toward the pin at the bottom of the pit… those who throw rollers might really like these. Intriguing perhaps, but could be listed in cons to the extent they minimize risk reward, and provide no incentive to lay up whatsoever.
• I can't really complain about the $5/per car entry, plus $4/per player fees because everything's thought out and kept up so well you'll never wonder "Where's the money going?" It's steep for one solo round, but with a 2nd quality course onsite, and all the extra touches, it's hard to argue that it's not worth it, and only a bit more than Hudson Mills or Deerfield park. If it bugs you, bring friends to split the entry fee 'cause this gem's worth sharing.
• You pay the entry fee coming into the park, but where do you pay the add'l disc golf fee? There's no collection/donation box or attendant anywhere near the courses. The person collecting the park entry fee never asked if we were playing DG, so all I paid was $5 entry fee. If they truly want the add'l $4 to play, make it obvious and easy to pay it.
• While some of cons seem unnecessary (wall, reverse island green, even the sunk pins), at least they're the result of trying too hard, rather than mailing-in something that's "good enough." That said, effort doesn't factor into my ratings. Don't come here because they tried - come here because they succeeded.

Overall, this is a phenomenal course that could stand on its own anywhere. The good news is the few elements I thought were lacking are present in spades on River's Edge. They're so dissimilar that they provide a sort of disc golf Yin and Yang. Two high quality courses that feel and play so completely different from each other make this a splendid location for mutliple round tourneys and a no-brainer destination if you can get here.

Would play this course again

1    6/12/2013   6/13/2013
Review By: ZdybelT
Pros: - short and long tees
-variety of holes
-very clean with garbage cans everywhere
-easy to find your way for first timers
-water coolers at a lot of the holes for hot days
-very scenic
Cons: -alot of mosquitoes when muggy out
-if you are a non resident it is a little pricey
Other Thoughts: We played when it was on an off rain but not to bad so I believe there were more mosquitoes out then normally but I would advice to bring bug spray otherwise you will get eaten alive. (I don't know about this for dry days however) I found it strange that they would build very nice brick wall just to be used as obstacles around the park but it was a nice addition I have never seen at a DG park. The 18th hole is very unique and I loved the idea of the fountain. I am not from the area so when my friend and I came to pay we were surprised we had to pay 9 dollars for one round but If I was in the area again most likely I would come back.

A chaotic but fun first visit to Burchfield

1    4/27/2013   5/6/2013
Review By: apparition
Pros: + Multiple tees and pins maximize playability
+ Looooong teepads
+ Necessary tee signs helped navigate and explain the layouts on some holes
+ Carved/mowed fairways were in great shape
+ A big disc golf equivalent of a regular golf course in terms of layout and features
+ FLAGS - I loved the blue and gold flags that improved visibility of baskets
+ Stones marking distance to long pins (300 feet)
+ Memorable holes/amenities (18's basket placement, 2's obstacle, sandtraps)
+ Low repetition on hole layouts, but distance was often rewarded more than accuracy
+ Benches/trash cans
+ Great facilities
+ Great parking
+ Right next to River's Edge
Cons: - Rough brush off the fairways is gonna suck when it thickens (but will up the difficulty for a +)
- Although I really learned to like the options at each hole, without a guide the first round played here is probably going to be stressful for anyone
- Layout options also made it difficult for people searching for bad throws that landed on fairways that bordered shared rough between holes
- Flimsy, temporary tee signs were absent from many tees
- Hole 17's OB was a bit odd
- Hole 2's wall is silly
- Course map isn't very easy to follow
Other Thoughts: OVERALL: I really liked Burchfield's original course. Accurate upshots was not the challenge here, shaping long drives was, so I could see it being a very fun place to develop distance and good form (although you'd be spoiled with the large tee pads). Fortunately, the grand scale of the course made grabbing different drivers based on wind direction and the various obstacles really, really fun. The varying levels of difficulty kept the layout interesting as well, especially as I struggled to stay near par up to hole 18.

DESTINATION COURSE: This course could provide an excellent reason to visit the park, which has a lot more to offer than just disc golf. Also, the park is very family and dog-friendly. Lots of activities for everyone. I really appreciated how nice it was. We visited on a disc golf road trip to Grand Rapids from up north and were very happy we chose to go out of our way to play here. I have to admit, however, that I had way more fun on the 11 holes of the "River's Edge" course (hopefully won't be flooded soon) than the original for sure (despite mixed tee pads). So, put the two big, nicely maintained courses together and you have an amazing opportunity to fill a whole day with 3-4 different rounds. Your arm might be jelly by the end, but it'd be worth it.

COMPARISON TO HUDSON MILLS: Please excuse me for using Hudson Mills as my main comparison for this course, but it truly embodies a similar feel. It's a very large and well-maintained piece of land requiring a bunch of drivers, throwing grass in the air to get wind direction, and well-placed, long and accurate throws. Burchfield Park's Original layout is like an expanded and better maintained Hudson's Original course holes A-F. Similar to those holes, the majority of Burchfield's original course plays through fields with the rough being unmowed growth and several sparsely located large trees providing the majority of obstacles. Pin placement is also very similar, except Burchfield has more trees, which makes it more fun!

LAYOUT CONFUSION: The layout problems really were a bummer and I weigh them significantly in my rating.

Like I said before, I really liked the course a lot, especially after getting into the layout's quirky and sometimes confusing rhythm. We gained some momentum on our first round here around hole 8. My biggest gripe with this course isn't the layout, however, it's that quite a few of the tee signs were missing. The signs are just flimsy laminated pieces of paper stapled to wood blocks about a foot off the ground and therefore were blown away from many tees. If there were more directional markers and if every tee had a sign, the course would be "Phenomenal". However, I think these small details have been taken for granted. In my opinion, they're essential to give first timers a smooth round since the provided course map just isn't enough. The random absence of each one provided us with just enough doubt to make the layout confusing. [What tee is this? I don't know, check the map. Well it could be this one or this one. Hmm, it must be this one! Oops, it was that one... Sound familiar?] My advice is to print the map from here on DGCR. It helped to bring it up on the smartphone at times.

By the way, other people on the course definitely had the same confusing experience as we did. We asked a few groups some simple layout questions and anyone who was playing it for the first time had the same confused look we did.

Once we come back and play all the layouts and if the tee signs are all in place, I'm sure this review will go from 4.0 to 4.5 discs. Not perfect, but it has the potential to be amazing.

Thanks for reading!

Great Course!

1    11/16/2012   2/25/2013
Review By: sebtacular
Pros: Love it. Can spend ALL day here. Worth the 5$.

...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Cons: None really. So much to pick from
Other Thoughts: Massive holes if you play gold.

The Future is Here!

2-4    10/15/2012   10/15/2012
Review By: Central Scrutinizer
Pros: Designed and manicured very well. Lots of perfectly placed autumn olive shrubs and the like make its many open holes not feel at all like open holes.

Long and short tees and baskets for each hole means 18^4 different game permutations are available! Long tee to long basket setup is over 9,500 feet for the pro and advanced player. Short to short is in the 4,500 feet range, and you could devise anything between the two to suit your desires. There's something for everybody.

Artificial O.B. is created niftily in many spots throughout the course. There are several unique features, too, such as the brick wall on #2's long tee, the "island" basket placement nearer the end of the course, and the breathtaking use of box elder trees that grew diagonally for the long tee on one of the holes later in the course.

Pay to enter and pay to play (as much as $9/day for out-of-county residents) probably helps keep the riff-raff to a minimum.
Cons: Anything in the "con" category is merely nit-picking...

I dislike the basket placements on top of pimple-like artificial mounds.

There could be a few more tightly wooded holes to balance the game-feel. Only #8 sticks out in my memory as I sit here as primarily a wooded hole.

The logistics between #10, #11 and #15 can be confusing if you miss the signs.
Other Thoughts: Burchfield Park (in combination with the brand-new River course) is a destination Disc Golf facility all day long. I played it today for the first time, and the excitement I've got is similar to when Hudson Mills first put in their Monster course back in about 1997, and many of the holes feel similar. In fact, my 79 and 81 playing the Long to Long setup is commensurate to what I'd shoot playing Hudson Mills' Monster...except that Burchfield is only 18 holes, HMM 24!...and I loved nearly every inch of it.

I want to draw particular attention to Hole #10. Every course should have several holes like this one. It's not even close to the best hole here in terms of cool terrain, unusual trees, or some sort of unique device on it (such as #2's brick wall!), and it's dead flat in terms of elevation, but I just adore the designer's eye for creating an actual GOLF hole here. There is risk/reward if you choose to go right...You risk going O.B. due to the perfectly-placed park road, and if your Disc barely peters off to the left, you've got the large circle of dense shrubbery...BUT, if you pinpoint a great 300ish foot drive, you've got an easier (not a breeze, though!) upshot at the basket. If the drive to the right seems too risky for your desires at the moment, you can instead aim way left and have a longer, tighter tunnel to the basket for a second shot. Less risk at the beginning, but more at the middle to end of this option. #10 is simple, yet outstanding...And I'd like to see a lot more of this kind of thing throughout all of our courses (especially since it doesn't take a lot of special terrain or obstacles to make it happen).

The four permutation-per-hole setup is...is...astonishingly awesome, and this layout is a prime example of how you're supposed to make "open" holes. My 1996 self is giddy to see that we've finally arrived at a time and place in our sport's history when courses like this seem to be popping up on the map all the time. To think I used to travel this far for courses much more banal...

A new favorite.

1    9/26/2012   9/26/2012
Review By: mrblonde314
Pros: - Pro tees / Pro Baskets
- Wonderfully maintained
- Wide variety of difficulty
- Very long course
Cons: - Sort of confusing for a first timer. The next hole doesn't start until after the Pro basket which can sometimes be hundreds of feet further.
- Some of the signs were missing
- No bathrooms
- Very long course
Other Thoughts: Hole 17 is a 100 ft basket surrounded by an island of sand. You must land your disk in that island or else it is out of bounds. I LOVE this concept! Very creative.

this is a gem of course

2-4    9/23/2013   9/17/2012
Review By: discNDav
This review was updated on 9/23/2013
Pros: This course is super, it has elements of Flip City (my favorite) with the some rock landscapings and Hudson Mills (my 1st favorite course) with some "prairie" golf holes while being extremely well mowed. Generally I despise "prairie golf" but it was so well maintained it didn't feel like it.

The park/course is beautiful. The cut grass defined the fairways in a terrific fashion. Moderate elevation and sand traps made this feel like a ball course at times. It's one of the best manicured courses that I have seen including Idlewild.

Two baskets on every hole, the blue (short) was a nice challenge for this Adv Masters player while the yellow (long and extremely) were pro or world class caliber.

Extra long concrete tees.

A few ace runs and some holes over 500 ft from the short tees, nice variety. Nothing too tight on the wooded holes.

Secluded feeling in the park is much appreciated.

#18's long basket area with a rock wall, flowers and a waterfall!

It's now in my top five out of 300+ courses played!
Cons: Not obvious from the parking lot to find tee #1, after you start it's well marked with plenty of next tee arrows.

The long baskets were EXTREMELY long in places. I thought about playing from the short basket to the long basket several times.

Other Thoughts: I played here after Labor Day and didn't have to pay but am willing to send a donation to this great DG destination. Donation sent!

The baskets and flags do NOT have the hole number on them.

The mando wall on hole #2 made me think "WTF" from the tee but my tomahawk shot cleared it easily.

When playing #11 it is easy to throw at short #15.

While playing it I was thinking of rating it a 5 but due to some slight repetition and not enough elevation as my other 5's have, I'd like to give this course 4.75, it's that good!

Playing it a 2nd time a year later (short tees to long baskets) I'm upgrading my rating to a 5!

A 2nd course is also in the same park, you have to see and play #2 down the toboggan run. Do not leave without doing this!

Visually Stunning!

2-4    8/19/2012   8/21/2012
Review By: Ricky_Rick
Pros: One of the most attractive courses I have ever played. Great visuals on some holes, as lone photo shows the yellow basket on 18 is something to be seen.

The actual course is rated above average, minimal elevation changes and some wide open prairie holes. It is well kept, mowed and a healthy green color which is always welcomed.

The cool features about this course are the extras... Mandatory wall on #2, various Sand Traps marked OB, the new island hole on #17, the closing work of art basket on #18. Baskets tucked behind trees, placed in ground bowls, all kinds of fun holes.

With 2 tee pads (long & short) as well as 2 sets of baskets (blue-short, yellow-long), this course offers any length you want to play. Very cool way to make the most of 18 holes.

This course is some what set-up to let you drive wide open, and then it narrows considerably at the hole, making for tough approach shots on some holes. Nice concept.
Cons: Most of these are minor, but cons none the less...

Lack of signage at hole #1 left some doubt on where to go. Hidden behind trees, was unsure at first but once I found no more problem.

The cost, just not a fan of getting hit double to play. First you need to drop $5 per car to get in park, then another $4 per golfer to play. For just 18 holes it might be a negative, played 36 since I already paid. Not a fan of getting double hit to play, either I pay to get in park or pay to play, but both can be a negative.

Little confusing to a new player or new to course, trying to find where to go to next tee. They have some nice signs to get you from one tee to the next. First time thru a little overwhelmed, second time it was much easier and no problem at all.
Other Thoughts: From the signs, it appears this course is now called "The Devil's Den". Maybe opted to name it after putting in River's Edge 18 hole course.

Heard a lot of people on course, saw people on course, but didnt run into many groups while playing. Seemed to space everyone out nicely and flowed great!

Aprox 30 minutes from my house and I plan to play this course a lot more. Very fun course, variety for all skill levels. Very creative use of land and of OB's to make round more challenging. Hats off Burchfield, job well done!

best in Lansing

1    8/7/2012   8/7/2012
Review By: apdrvya
Pros:
Aesthetic- plays through a multi use park but the disc golf seems secluded from the rest of the world. which is great

Navigation-Very easy!! tons of next tee signs paths are very well worn/cut grass to lead the way.

Signage- Big bright and easy to follow. lists all four distances between the two tees. some are in poor repair though.

teepads- long and concrete, maybe about 1/3 bigger than they need to be.

baskets-grippy discatchers with powdercoat. how could it get better?

Originality- #17 is an island where you have to land in the "sand trap" or be OB (not the original layout) but very short.
#18 has one of the more beautiful "greens" in DG. #2 has a 10' wall mando.

Pin placement-Impecable. protected pins abound and keep the game seriously ineresting...
Cons:
Repetition- this is hard. the course is great, but there isn't much challenge without much elevation change or trees. the challenge in this course is the course itself and the length it's capable of.

Risk v Reward- As said above, there isn't much
Other Thoughts: the original course is better than the newest course but when it's completed, Rivers Edge will give the original a run for it's money!

Mixed feelings

1    2/22/2012   2/22/2012
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through a sprawling park, and the course doesn't have any real interference with other park activities. There is a nice secluded feel to several parts of the course, it's always nice to feel like you're out away from civilization. There are two tees and two baskets per hole, offering a lot of variety and chances to mix things up. The biggest difference on many holes is distance (large differences on many holes between the longest and shortest layouts), but a few of the tighter holes offer some different lines.

The fairways were mowed nicely, and the course was generally in good condition when I played. There are some nice touches, like a large wall and some small water hazards that add a little variety. There are some ace run type shots and some long bombers where you can open up and rip a drive. A few holes have enough trees to make you hit some interesting lines. Some minor elevation comes into play. The signage is adequate enough to follow the course and know where to throw.
Cons: I'm not a huge fan of prairie courses, long grass (especially when thorns are involved) adds more frustration than challenge in my opinion. Too many of the holes play basically wide open with only wind and long grass to contend with, just not my favorite type of shot. There are a handful of spots where the alternate baskets and tees are really creative, but on the whole they just offer longer and shorter versions of the same line. Several of the longer holes' tee signs are a bit misleading, the hole layouts don't match the signs all that well which can be a bit frustrating on an 800'+ hole.
Other Thoughts: Beginners will find the shortest layout challenging, but not so much that it's too terribly frustrating. Newer players might not be big fans of the rough, especially with wind and less accurate drives. The longest setup offers a lot of distance, and a few interesting challenges. Experienced players will enjoy the chance to air out some drives and work on shot placement, but there aren't a ton of line shaping skills required here. The layouts in between offer a nice balance so there's something available for most skill levels.