Golden Valley, MN
Wirth Par 3 Share
Uploaded By: Steve West Hole #10 (Taken 8/2011)
3 / 162ft.   3 / 234ft.   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Decent

1    8/16/2012   8/16/2012
Review By: aajpity
Pros: -Not many people.
-Learn to use your Mid-Ranges and Putters more.
-Easy to navigate.
-Helpful employees.
-Scorecard/Map.
Cons: -Tall grass on one hole.
-2 Baskets were missing from the course.
-Very easy (Short holes with no challenges).
-Pay to play.
-No actual Tee.
Other Thoughts: It is a fun course but for the price it's not worth going out of your way for. It's in very nice conditions and other then the tall grass hard to lose a disc. It is well maintained and the scorecards and maps are nice. Not much variety on the holes but trees can get in the way. The wild turkeys were interesting to see and the regular golfers sometimes got in the way. Overall fun course, better then alot in the area.

Clean and Easy

1    3/14/2012   4/5/2012
Review By: Deadbishop
Pros: Nice, well maintained course. Hard to lose a disc here. Low traffic (from the few times I've been there). Good place for a leisurely game.
Cons: I expected a more exciting course for having to pay a fee. Bland pitch and putt, no real technical holes. Seemed like an afterthought to put a disc golf course on an actual golf course.
Other Thoughts: For the $5, I'd rather go to any of the nearby free courses.

Disappointing

1    10/2/2011   1/9/2012
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays along a ball golf course, using some fairways and some of the wooded areas around the fringes. The maintenance is very good, ball golf standards are a bit higher so it's in great shape for disc golf. For the most part, the disc golf either plays parallel to golf holes or away from the golf fairways so there isn't too much conflict and you'll know when you're sharing space. There are decent signs to go with the scorecard and map available at the pro shop. There are two tees per hole, a few of which change things up significantly.

The course has a few more technical holes, and those call for a decent balance of left and right turning shots. There isn't a ton of distance, but a couple longer holes are mixed in with the easily reachable shots. There are some nice hills that provide some interesting challenges at times.
Cons: For a golf course, there aren't really any air it out type holes, but it's also not technical enough to provide much of a challenge that way. It ends up feeling a bit repetitive without any real signature shots or wow factor. Some of the tees that are in the more wooded areas are rutted out and not level. The grass pads throughout the rest of the course could get pretty worn and muddy with more traffic.

The design does a decent job of avoiding conflicts with golfers, but there's still a chance of getting hit with an errant golf ball if you're not paying attention. The course map shows multiple pin positions, so you still have to scout ahead on a few holes where the pin isn't visible from the tee.
Other Thoughts: This course was a bit underwhelming, and with many less expensive but more interesting courses in the area this wouldn't be at the top of my list to play again. Beginners will enjoy this one, with reasonable hole lengths, only a few holes that make you hit a tighter line and not a ton of punishment for errant shots. More experienced players will not find much of a challenge or many interesting tests of their skills.

Carts were no longer available when I played due to some disc golfers taking them places they weren't supposed to go and damaging the course and carts.

Country Club Feel!

1    7/16/2011   9/3/2011
This review was updated on 1/10/2012
Pros: Sometimes I felt like a member of an exclusive country club, like when I was able to drink ice cold water from their little stand. But other times I felt like a intruder sneaking on the course. And I'm not saying anyone made me feel unwelcome in any way. It just felt strange sharing the course with the ball golfers.
You start by paying your $5 at the clubhouse. There's an option to rent a cart for $5. The course record of negative 11 is posted in there. The baskets are brand new Phil Knight Oregon Duck Nike Green/Gold models. The tee signs are professional signs like on a golf course. Oh yeah, this is a golf course! You get a pro style scorecard with the distances measured in yards. Two sets of tees-the shorter Reds and the longer Whites. There are no teepads, you just tee off the grass between the markers like you do in golf. The course plays at an intermediate level. It's really nice to be playing across freshly cut grass and in such a pretty setting. There was nice gentle elevation changes although they weren't used to their full potential.
Cons: As Limp Forehand writes, the disc golf layout is secondary of importance to the ball golf course, so many of the DG holes have that filler or uninspired feel to them.
Grass tees would be slippery when wet.
Navigation was confusing. I got lost and am pretty sure I never got it right.

They missed a chance to have their signature hole on # 11. I stepped up to the tee box and looked down the fairway. It's a beautiful downhill, golf type open, fairly narrow fairway with enough distance for a 500-600' downhill drive. I thought, "Here it is." I launch my drive to the basket down there in the distance about 600'. I think it's # 11. Only when I walk down there down there, I find the # 11 basket is tucked away in the woods on the left above halfway down the hill less than 300'. So instead of having an Epic drive, you have a blind downhill touch shot into the trees. Disappointing!
Other Thoughts: I was just a little under-awed here. The holes at the end, especially # 18, felt a little like filler holes. The course was worth a trip for the one time experience. There are just so many other great choices in the area, I'm not sure sure if I'd find the time to play here on more than the rare occasion.

Nice, clean course

1    8/4/2011   8/5/2011
Review By: vagabond
This review was updated on 6/17/2012
Pros: I am truly a beginner, so take it with a grain of salt I suppose. This is an excellent course for being only 2 miles from downtown Minneapolis.
To start with, the guy at the chalet is very nice and happy to answer all of your questions. Additionally you get a high quality scorecard and map to get you going. The course is fairly easy, its pretty much on a golf course so its maintained very well. The baskets are all brand new, and the course has recently been redesigned, I heard, from others that were playing. A lot of the course makes good use of the numerous hills and woodlots in the park.
Cons: Since it is on a golf course, you kinda have to be aware that their could be golfers out there.
Other Thoughts: It costs $5 to play, but I don't really consider this a pro or a con. I think the fee is well used given the condition of the course. Also, if you want to you can rent a golf cart.

Slightly Disappointed

1    6/8/2011   6/8/2011
Review By: rdwyer
Pros: Always fun to have a new course in the metro area. I felt like a country club member playing on the golf course! Option to rent a cart is nice as well. Course was very well manicured, nice new baskets. Good mixture of short and long holes, some big bombs so you can break out that max distance driver, and some tough shots around trees so you have to place that Roc or Buzz just right. Pay to play format eliminates the chuckers. Ball golfers were very friendly and didn't get in your way much (possibly because I went on a Tuesday afternoon)
Cons: All in all I must say that I was slightly let down by this course. After reading all the other good reviews, I was pretty excited, but I was let down by a few factors
1. It was sometimes hard to find the next tee. Even with a map, I got lost a few times. The tees are grass, which I can understand because you don't want to go putting concrete slabs in the middle of a golf course, but still, I never much care for grass tees.
2. Some of the holes were just straight and far away. Ripping a driver at a hole that's straight in front of you can be fun but it gets tiring after a while
3. Personally, I felt that some of the technical holes were just a basket thrown in the middle of a couple of trees with no real planning or strategy to them
4. I remember a post saying that this course is "woman friendly." How? It didn't seem any more "woman friendly" to me than any other course that I've been to
5. I wouldn't say it's worth 5 bucks. Bryant and Hyland are better and cheaper options
Other Thoughts: All in all not a bad course, I'd most likely play it again. I understand that it's on a ball golf course which makes it hard to design in some aspects, but I still feel like it could have been a better experience. $5 bucks is a little steep, but it's nice not to have a bunch of duffers around. If you're around the metro area, I'd say give it a try for sure, but it's certainly not worth driving more than 20 min for.

Slightly Above Average

1    5/23/2011   5/23/2011
Review By: Limp Forehand
Pros: amenities common to a public ball course- shop, benches, trash, etc
low-med traffic
location from TC
ball course level maintenance
ball course hazards
gentle elevation changes
Cons: short holes- alot of run-of-the-mill, birdable par 3s, without many trees they're a little uninspiring
layout is secondary to layout of golf course- zigzags along ball fairways, confusing to traverse
Grass tees- hopefully temporary
$ is for 1 round/ not a day pass
poor drainage in areas- not just around water hazards
Other Thoughts: Unless they do a cheap season pass, its hard to justify this on a regular basis.
It might be worth it when you consider proximity and course traffic (maybe).

They have carts but I'm not sure if they're available for DG

Edit to change rating from 2.5 to 3 (2.5 is a little harsh)