Golden Valley, MN
Wirth Par 3 Share
Uploaded By: Steve West Hole #7 (Taken 8/2011)
3 / 192ft.   3 / 321ft.   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #7 Basket: Baskets #3 and #8 in background

1 2 Next >
 Nice, clean course

1    8/4/2011   8/5/2011
Review By: vagabond
This review was updated on 6/17/2012
Pros: I am truly a beginner, so take it with a grain of salt I suppose. This is an excellent course for being only 2 miles from downtown Minneapolis.
To start with, the guy at the chalet is very nice and happy to answer all of your questions. Additionally you get a high quality scorecard and map to get you going. The course is fairly easy, its pretty much on a golf course so its maintained very well. The baskets are all brand new, and the course has recently been redesigned, I heard, from others that were playing. A lot of the course makes good use of the numerous hills and woodlots in the park.
Cons: Since it is on a golf course, you kinda have to be aware that their could be golfers out there.
Other Thoughts: It costs $5 to play, but I don't really consider this a pro or a con. I think the fee is well used given the condition of the course. Also, if you want to you can rent a golf cart.

Slightly Disappointed

1    6/8/2011   6/8/2011
Review By: rdwyer
Pros: Always fun to have a new course in the metro area. I felt like a country club member playing on the golf course! Option to rent a cart is nice as well. Course was very well manicured, nice new baskets. Good mixture of short and long holes, some big bombs so you can break out that max distance driver, and some tough shots around trees so you have to place that Roc or Buzz just right. Pay to play format eliminates the chuckers. Ball golfers were very friendly and didn't get in your way much (possibly because I went on a Tuesday afternoon)
Cons: All in all I must say that I was slightly let down by this course. After reading all the other good reviews, I was pretty excited, but I was let down by a few factors
1. It was sometimes hard to find the next tee. Even with a map, I got lost a few times. The tees are grass, which I can understand because you don't want to go putting concrete slabs in the middle of a golf course, but still, I never much care for grass tees.
2. Some of the holes were just straight and far away. Ripping a driver at a hole that's straight in front of you can be fun but it gets tiring after a while
3. Personally, I felt that some of the technical holes were just a basket thrown in the middle of a couple of trees with no real planning or strategy to them
4. I remember a post saying that this course is "woman friendly." How? It didn't seem any more "woman friendly" to me than any other course that I've been to
5. I wouldn't say it's worth 5 bucks. Bryant and Hyland are better and cheaper options
Other Thoughts: All in all not a bad course, I'd most likely play it again. I understand that it's on a ball golf course which makes it hard to design in some aspects, but I still feel like it could have been a better experience. $5 bucks is a little steep, but it's nice not to have a bunch of duffers around. If you're around the metro area, I'd say give it a try for sure, but it's certainly not worth driving more than 20 min for.

O LOOK A SQUIRREL!!

1    5/25/2011   5/26/2011
Review By: Zambono
Pros: This has quickly become my favorite technique course. It is a perfect complement to its sister course at Ft. Snelling. If you're looking for a round that will help you improve your accuracy and force you out of your throwing comfort zone, this is it!

First, head into the clubhouse and talk to Shorty, he will "hook you up," and make you smile :) There are maps and scorecards available that will be necessary in the back nine.
The attendants and players were all very friendly, and I received quite the applause when I sunk a 100ft birdie on hole 1 (Thank you BUZZZ)

Other Pros include:
- two tees: RED (great for beginners, or if you want a low score) and BLUE (typically behind the largest tree they could find)
- short, but very technical course
- nice signs illuminating the hole tees
- awesome course for midrange work
- scenery and wildlife are a great change of pace from the city
Cons: It is $5 to play one round. The short course only lasts about an hour, depending on your party size, so it left me wanting to go through again.

The course only had 2 or 3 holes to really break out the distance. For heavy arms, you will be stuck with alot of midrange, and fairway drivers.

As least for right now, the water had extended far into the course. There is no real water boundary, so after a heavy rainfall, there will be alot of mud and overextended hazards.
Other Thoughts: During our round, we saw 1 deer, and about 5 wild turkeys. Makes for an interesting walk. However, as the summer progresses, you will NOT want to forget the bug spray.

Altogether, I recommend checking it out. As close as you can get to downtown, with all the feel of a rural course. With Par 3 is a great addition to the MN Disc Golf repertoire!

Family Friendly Course

2-4    5/25/2011   5/25/2011
Review By: djschnabel
Pros: Located near the heart of Minneapolis, this course offers two tee boxes on each hole. The 18 holes play across the Theodore Wirth Par 3 golf course, so at times, you may be playing with and around ball golfers.

I like the ability to rent a golf cart, my 4 year old has never sat so well! In fact, he gave his approval to play a second 18.

Some holes are WIDE open, and some are technical. Remember, if you land on the green, per the scorecards available at the chalet, it's a two stroke penalty. However, I can only think of one green where this may be an issue.

Very near (perhaps the closest) course to Gotta Go, Gotta Throw. Just down the road from Bassett Creek.

Very family friendly. Long throwers can throw from the white tees, and have a few ace runs, and a couple holes to air it out while their family enjoys their round from the red (short) tees. It's nice to play on a golf course, short grass is a tough place to hide a disc.

Great use of elevation to increase drive difficulty on a few holes.
Cons: After last weekend's storms and Tornado, the park was wet. I don't know if this is typical for this area, but if it is, it could become an issue.

$5 pay to play, $5 for the cart.

Most will finish under par, there's not a lot of challenge on this course, as you play back and forth across the fairways.

As previously mentioned, a few spots have you throwing under branches. I could see some upset DGers simply tearing them down.

Possible issues with ball and disc golf on the same course, none witnessed during my round.
Other Thoughts: With such a large area, I wish they would have placed some on the golf course, and the others through the hillside. I was really surprised to play across so many fairways, and I could see golfers absolutely hating a shared course. Hopefully, this concept catches on, I plan on revisiting maybe monthly, all in all, my son and I had a good time.

Slightly Above Average

1    5/23/2011   5/23/2011
Review By: Limp Forehand
Pros: amenities common to a public ball course- shop, benches, trash, etc
low-med traffic
location from TC
ball course level maintenance
ball course hazards
gentle elevation changes
Cons: short holes- alot of run-of-the-mill, birdable par 3s, without many trees they're a little uninspiring
layout is secondary to layout of golf course- zigzags along ball fairways, confusing to traverse
Grass tees- hopefully temporary
$ is for 1 round/ not a day pass
poor drainage in areas- not just around water hazards
Other Thoughts: Unless they do a cheap season pass, its hard to justify this on a regular basis.
It might be worth it when you consider proximity and course traffic (maybe).

They have carts but I'm not sure if they're available for DG

Edit to change rating from 2.5 to 3 (2.5 is a little harsh)

1 2 Next >