Superior, WI
Mont du Lac - White Cedar Share
Uploaded By: discoholic Hole #8 (Taken 8/2011)
Hole #8 Approach (B Position)

What they said

5+    9/19/2014   9/20/2014
Review By: artigasplaza
Pros: All of the other recent reviews are accurate. Logger keeps adding new pins and new pads. He also keeps the course well-manicured.
Cons: Need to finish remodeling the tee pads. Long walk to parking from hole 18. That's all.
Other Thoughts: I have nothing to add to the most recent reviews. The course is as close to perfect as it get and keeps getting better. Just wear decent footwear. Cabins are currently being built that will enhance on-site lodging options.

Can not believe I have not played this course

1    9/20/2014   9/20/2014
Review By: timj5304
Pros: In my 10+ years of playing I can not believe i have not played Mont Du Lac until today. With 2 courses on the property this makes it a destination with the new course being put in at spirit mountain in Duluth, sadly there was a large wedding today which I was unable to play there because of reservation. 18 solid wooded holes. Hole 1 is comparable to hyland ski final hole 720 ft downhill. We had a big tailwind and my heart said fairway driver but my dumb brain told me to throw that for a second shot, threw a distance driver, went near the camping area hyzer a couple hundred feet deep. Awesome not difficult layout to follow, great use of elevation to say the least. I list this as a pro but most will as a con, great exercise going through the walks from pad to pad. Good mix of straight holes and lefty and righty biased holes. This kind of course is what disc golf was meant to be, out in the woods with friends and having to actually control your discs.
Cons: Some would list the teepads as a negative but I would rather have none or a mat than some slick blacktop as are at acorn and bassett creek. A few mudslide holes on the back half, would like to see some more steps on a few of these if possible and maybe even railings someday but until then just walk carefully.
Other Thoughts: Had a fun round, started to play well after hole 6 and killed it after that but had a rough start. This is a great course for me to smash someone like my brother who can throw 425 all day and 475 max, he can kill me on Eagles peak but not a chance on white cedar.

Amazing Northwoods Experience

5+    4/20/2013   5/13/2013
Review By: Ajampalm
Pros: This course has the best scenery of any course I've played. Even Giants Ridge, which is beautiful, can't touch the White Cedar's setting.

This course is very technical, and certainly provides looks for all types of throws equally. There are many holes where the birdie is in plain sight, but very rarely will they all be in your grasp.
Doubles as your daily exercise, while I know some that consider walking a hard trail a burden I still believe it is for your betterment...
But I know that is not a universal belief.
Stunning settings, and if you have the chance to play all of the A & B pin placements you will really see the wonderful variety the course has to offer.
Cons: Lack of cement tee pads is without a doubt the only drawback I come back to on this course. The hike is hard so if you bring your cheap flip flops you will be punished. That being said if you have read any of the reviews than you should know better.
Other Thoughts: If you are ever in the area, passing through, or want to find the next great disc golf destination Mont Du Lac has it all.
With 2 courses, a chalet with food and beer, and scenery inspired from the Hobbit you will be sure to enjoy this treasure of a course. It may not have the amenities and upkeep of a BRP, but it makes up for that in the type of golf only a setting this epic and special can provide.

Do not miss this course!

1    6/6/2012   11/1/2012
Review By: frolfer97
Pros: This course has it all! It almost feels like you've been transported to another country.
-Beautiful scenery
-Great signage
-Numerous elevation changes
-Numerous wooden bridges crossing over the creeks that criss-cross the course
-Very fun shots including shots over ravines
-Definitely will be a challenge for every skill level
Cons: -Some holes required a spotter to locate the basket
-I wasn't able to play it more.
Other Thoughts: Of all the courses I've played, this one tops the list! I recommend that anyone that likes disc golfing should put this course on their list of "must play" courses.

1    11/3/2011   11/4/2011
Review By: nblahna
Pros: -An utterly gorgeous slice of the North Woods.
-Challenging fairways that reward good lines.
-Great backwoods hiking between holes!
-Onsite camping, bar & grill!
Cons: -A few short tee pads.
-Some steep ascents and slick segments of trail.
Other Thoughts: Besides my home course, this is my favorite course. The local league players and employees are quite friendly! If you're looking to spend a weekend camping and discing near the North Shore without the hassle of seasonal traffic or crowds of "out-of-towners," this is a destination you absolutely shouldn't pass up. Besides, at $5/night/person, and $5/day for all the disc golf you can handle, the price is sooo so right! You just need to get up there...

A Destination

1    8/14/2011   9/13/2011
Review By: discoholic
This review was updated on 5/9/2013
Pros: The White Cedar course at Mont Du Lac is carved out of a dense cedar forest on the beautiful back side of their ski slope. The tightly wooded layout and dramatic elevation will challenge every shot in your bag.

You will negotiate wooded fairways that turn; left, right, both, either and neither. Trees also come into play on the greens. You will find baskets surrounded by cedars and even a basket mounted on a stump. The fantastic vegetation is complimented by severe elevation changes. You are rewarded with downhill shots for conquering up hill shots. The hills form many ravines that you will throw across and through. Like the trees, elevation is a factor on the greens too. The steep slopes can easily turn a birdy into a bogey. As if that wasn't enough, creeks are in play on at least five holes. The creeks don't just bisect fairways, they form greens.

White Cedar is truly an adventure. It is easy to navigate, but due to the setting you will get lost... in your round.
Cons: There are no concrete tee pads, but the natural pads are ok. Even though the signs have gps distances, the direction is unclear and the creeks are not shown. There are no holes that demand big distance, but I didn't even notice until I wrote this.
Other Thoughts: Fun as curse words. They set up the pin positions so that if the odd numbered holes are short then the even holes are long. They change the baskets every week. The Eagle's Peak course is on the other side of the mountain. If your up to the challenge you can play the White Cedar course as a loop after hole 9 of the Eagle's Peak course, that makes 40 holes. Be prepared for an intense hike. Bring good shoes, lots of water, and bug spray. They have a pro shop with a good selection of discs. There is camping available practically on the course. They are continually working to improve the courses and facilities. The staff is awesome. The 5$ day pass is well worth it.

I have only played this course once, and generally don't review courses that I have only played once. However, due to the great experience I had there and the lack of reviews, I felt that I need to do my part to get the word out about this great course. The course is not a perfect 5 yet, but it's much better than 4.5.

superior course

1    5/28/2011   5/28/2011
Review By: alexaaron
Pros: This course is far superior to any other I've played. You need every kind of throw to play this course. Tight fairways, snaking shots through the trees, huge uphill bombs, this course is challenging for any level player. And the scenery is beyond description. Several times I just had to stop and take it all in.
Cons: The signs on the forest course are useless. They have just straight lines drawn on blank white with dots indicating pin position. No trees or topography to indicate direction. Most of the holes you could not see where the pin was and the signs gave no real indication other than distance. They did not indicate which position the pins were in, A or B. I had to walk each hole before I played it to have an idea where I was going. I was about to quit the course when I caught up to a group playing ahead of me that had played before. Once I knew where I was going, my opinion completely changed. This course will wear you out.
Other Thoughts: Wear comfy shoes, bring lots of water, be prepared for climbing. Play with someone who has played the course before. Though I hated it through the first 9 holes, once I had a guide helping me navigate, this course was awesome. As of today, it is my favorite course I've ever played. Very tough shots but I almost aced hole 16 and 19. Cant emphasize enough that if you love disc golf, you will love this course (as long as you dont have a heart attack trying to play it).