Marengo, IL
Indian Oaks Share
Uploaded By: steakfest Hole #1 (Taken 6/2011)
3 / 219ft.   3 / 291ft.   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Terrible, waste of the drive

1    8/10/2011   11/11/2011
Review By: wolf1616
This review was updated on 12/2/2013
Pros: The first 3 holes, the last three holes.
Cons: This course is garbage. I was looking forward to it after the first hole and the amazing signage and ace cards on some of the markers. Once you head into the woods you throw blindly into a HEAVILY wooded course. The woods have not been cleared for this course. There are piles of debris everywhere and if you lose a disc in there...good luck. I basically threw like a grandma worried that around every turn I would lose a disc. I'm not in love with my discs and I don't mind losing them but this is a little ridiculous. If you like St. Charles and don't care about your discs you might like this course. For all you single driver/single putter players, don't bother.
Other Thoughts: Terrible course, if I hadn't already mentioned that.

*Update 12/2/2013 in response to the reply.
I am not a new player. I've been playing for over 8years. I throw a 400ft avg drive, and have won 2 tournaments locally. This "course" is not well designed in any way. I understand the multiuse park and space limitations, but it felt like a course built just to build a course. Not to mention the fact that there is a nature trail running within the course. I have not been back since my first time. I WILL return and will submit another review. For most people who enjoy ball golf and disc golf, this is not a golf course. It is a set of targets in the deep woods with tees. You could have done a better job. Piles of debris/garbage are not "bunkers" come on. This is disc golf, I've played courses in multiple states and never seen debris bunkers. Also, I don't understand why some of you resort to insults (calling me a n00b). I'm simply trying to save people from wasting their time. I don't know anyone who enjoys this course, maybe someone would. Epic fail IMO. Just an opinion, go play yourself if you want and put up a review. That's what this site is for right? Reviews? My review is "don't waste your time."

Date: 11/29/2013 Designer Response by: steakfest
"I basically threw like a grandma worried that around every urn i would lose a disc"

Hopefully this player learned something the day they played Indian Oaks. Disc golf is supposed to be challenging. There's nothing wrong with "playing like a grandma" Most of us call it "playing safe" and I still do it myself on the wooded holes!

I suspect that the player was bothered by the challenge of the wooded holes, not the design or quality of them. I hope that wolf1616 has evolved as a player and can appreciate what Indian Oaks has to offer now.

As for debris piles, etc. I believe that in the 2 years since this review was written there has been burning, but some of the "piles" are actually meant to be bunkers that are supposed to present an obstacle.

By the way, our course also specifically recommends that beginner players skip holes 4 - 11 and stick to the 10 holes out in the open area of the course. Some of which are still very challenging, without the added element of thick rough on both sides of the fairway.