Arlington, VA
Bluemont Park Share
Uploaded By: ERicJ Hole #9 (Taken 5/2013)
3 / 326ft.   3 / 345ft.   3 / 373ft.   4 / 267ft. Par / Distance:
Baskets on #9; right/silver C pin; left/blue D pin

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Good, tight woods course

2-4    9/10/2014   9/10/2014
Review By: neanderthal85
This review was updated on 9/19/2014
Pros: This is a tightly wooded course that is open. I know that doesn't make a lot of sense. There are trees galore, but there are clear paths and as a somewhat noob, I didn't get too frustrated. You really only start to have issues when you move back to white and especially blue tees.

There are fours tees to choose from. Blue is really out there - some of them are bombs. Green would be perfect for kids or others with little throwing power who just want to learn.

Most of the holes have some nice movement and structure:

#1 - Straight shot through trees to an elevated basket
#2 - Straight or dogleg right depending on the tee to elevated baskets surrounded by woods
#3 - Elevated tees in the woods down course to an elevated basket
#4 - Tees in a field to a small wooded area with two baskets that have sudden drop-offs within feet
#5 - Huge valley with a big shot opportunity if you can avoid bunches of trees on right and upper left near basket
#6 - Toughest in my opinion...Elevated tees to a sudden dogleg right to guarded baskets near the road and a parking lot
#7 - Narrow shot from tees to baskets through a grove of trees
#8 - Similar to #7, but a little more open; Baskets guarded by trees
#9 - A sweeping dogleg left to elevated baskets tucked into the woods
Cons: The baskets were confusing to me. They show several different basket locations, but apparently they just rotate them, so knowing which baskets are which and where they are requires some walk-ahead investigation.

#1 and #3 share an elevated basket, and by elevated, I mean 6 feet tall. Someone shorter than 5 feet could not reach up into the basket without jumping or a boost. Not at all a legal height and it means some long missed putts. Not a fan.

Some of the baskets are older and seem like they have fewer chains, like the far basket on #4. That same basket is also guarded by a huge uprooted tree. As in, it blocks the approach to the basket.

I just got the sense that it's heavily used and enjoyed, but a little more upkeep would do wonders. It's not rundown by any means, but for as nice as the holes are situated, it could be a primetime 9-hole course with some TLC.

Holes 1/3/4/7/8 share an open field. And many of the shots are blind as to whether or not anyone is down there. So check when you throw and also watch out! Some knuckleheads were chucking several discs from the #3 tee while I was putting on #1 and a few almost hit me.
Other Thoughts: Give this course a try, maybe on an early weekend morning or a weekday. It's beautiful and really is a challenge. Hopefully, the parks department or a group can put a little more care into maintaining it and improving the baskets in a few spots.

All in all, it's very worth your time!

1    6/21/2014   6/21/2014
Review By: evilempire
Pros: Lots of fun in a small space. great layout. good to bring a photo of the map for the different tee layouts but pretty intuitive. fun challenging but easy enough on beginners. hard to lose a disc. very nice locals, even found my pair of glasses I dropped a couple holes back (thanks!) Fun course you can play 27 diff holes on a 9 fairway place, def worth the stop.
Cons: Little bit of signage would help at the main park entrance to find the course for out of towners. On the course the signage is decent but could be slightly improved but its not bad. Fairways for noobs can be a little tight.

Good for the City

2-4    2/22/2014   2/25/2014
Review By: chillumz
Pros: Right in the heart of Arlington; it's within 30 minutes of a million people, literally.

I think the course was designed cleverly given the relatively tiny space allotted for the course. Sure, some of the holes jut right up to the others, but this should only be a problem for beginners.

Excellent use of elevation changes; there are only two medium hills in the park and the ups and downs offer some cool shots (holes 3 and 5 specifically)

Some holes are deceptively challenging with pin placement.

Multiple pad locations give you the variety you need on such a tight course
Cons: Even at 9 AM on a crisp saturday morning, the park was rather busy; the walkers/joggers/cyclists taking the paved trail can be distracting on holes 7, 8, and 9.

It is very easy to land a disc in the creek on hole 4. The damn pin is 3 feet from a 10 foot drop off and it's nearly impossible to get a great approach with the low trees and the fallen tree across the clearing there.
Other Thoughts: Overall I like this course a lot; it is probably my favorite in the NOVA region despite the above cons.

Play 5 from the pro tee to far basket and cover that HUUGGEE gap back uphill into the woods. One of the best ones on the course.

Avoid nice weather here

5+    2/5/2014   2/14/2014
Review By: danielccockerspaniel
Pros: Bluemont has 3 teepads for each hole, and each one provides a significant change, so it really does play like a 27 hole course. There are also 2 pin positions for most holes. The new long pin position on hole 4 is really challenging. Many people don't even know where some of the pro tee pads are, and are surprised at how far back, and challenging they are when they are pointed out. The pins often move around, too, and the variations are nice. There are some elevation changes, not huge, but enough to make it way better than a flat course. The course is very accessible, and the locals know the at least two of the three access points, to avoid the congested parking from other park users.
Cons: The accessibility of Bluemont is its downfall. For many newbies it's a gateway course, and these newbs will walk right up to the red tee pad on hole one, not realizing that some gorilla arm is about to blaze a deadly laser right over their heads from the blue tee pad behind them. There are other park users who will jog through the course, completely oblivious that they are on a fairway. I once came across a teacher who had set up a science demonstration on the long teepad for hole 4. He had no idea why there was this convenient concrete pad, and his assistant got mad at me because my disc golfing was distracting the kids from their science demonstration! As others have pointed out, the parallel and overlapping fairways, mainly hole 9 and 1, are problematic.
Other Thoughts: The locals know to park at hole 7, off of Carlin Springs Rd. Play when the weather is off. If you come on a nice sunny weekend afternoon, Bluemont will be full of newbies throwing plastic into every tree, and it gets crazy.

Played Course In Some Trying Conditions!

1    7/11/2013   7/25/2013
Pros: I played Bluemont DGC early one July morning in a constant, steady downpour. The course was saturated making everything a miserable, wet experience. To make matters worse, the nearest gate was locked at 7:15 am forcing me to walk an extra ways through these downpours trying to locate the course and # 1.

With the realization these weather conditions were not the fault of the course or it's designers, I will attempt to write an honest, unbiased review, although what I am trying to remember was only seen through my rain soaked eyeballs.

An amazing amount of work and effort has been put forth to squeeze this course into a fairly small partial of park land. The stairs, steps, tee pads and baskets placements are indeed impressive in their creativity. With multiple sets of concrete pads and multiple baskets placements, players have plenty of options here. Through the showers I was able to occasionally glance upon and sail my disc down some interesting and challenging fairways to some wonderful, creative baskets placements.
Cons: Squeezing this many holes into this small area of an area will invariably lead to some conflicting situations with other park users. I hope these are few and far between. Also, on heavy course usage days, I understand the course can get quite backed up. I had no such problems on my miserable ass, rainy morning. Just me and the ducks!

Players with those big arms might not find the chance to unleash those 400 foot drives here. With the terrain basically flat, there's no chance for the big downhills.
Other Thoughts: This is probably one of those courses where the designers have done the absolute most with the space they have to work with.

"forehandfranz" previous reviewer, from my neck of the woods, Seattle area, compares Bluemont to a north Seattle course called Mineral Springs. His comparison is spot one. Both are small urban courses artfully squeezed into small pieces of land, with creative planning of the holes, and tons of engineering hours having gone into the building of stairs, steps, bridges, pads. etc.

I don't think the effort I put forth on this rainy, wet Virginia morning did justice to the course. I basically wimped out.

Fun course!!

1    4/28/2013   4/28/2013
Review By: Dupree721
Pros: I'm here on business right now and I got out around 7 today and headed right over as it was only an hour from my hotel.

Once I found the course, I was fighting daylight, but thats okay because this course was worth it! It's only 9 holes, but it offers 3 different teepads every hole which increases the difficulty and makes for some fun shots from hyzer/anhyzer to complete full-power drives. The course is challenging, but at the same time nice and condensed so you don't have to walk around forever to the next hole.

The course was very clean and trails were clearly highlighted. This course offers it all for every player and the holes were far more challenging than other courses I've played at.
Cons: It took a while to find the course. I went in the very first entrance near the tennis courts and the baseball fields and had to walk a bit down the field towards the volleyball courts before I found the first tee. Signage would help as more people need to know where this place is!
Other Thoughts: Literally playing at this course after a stressful work weekend was just what I needed!

Little Course... Lots of Fun!

5+    4/21/2013   4/21/2013
Review By: Jimb
Pros: In Arlington, VA, so there are plenty of places to eat, shop and get gas within 5 minutes. And Washington D.C. is just a short drive away, too (depending on traffic). Quite easy to find. There's a good bit of parking available, but this park seems to be very well used. There were already people setting up picnics by 7:30 a.m. each morning that I played, which indicates to me that it's going to get busy.

Nice park setting with lots of other things to do... Fields for baseball, soccer, etc., kids' playground with a big sandbox, basketball court, nice hiking/walking/biking trails, picnic tables, etc. Bathrooms on site.

The course circles around nicely and ends close to where it began. There are nice wood steps/terraces throughout the course to help you traverse the ground, and to help with erosion, I'm sure. The course was very easy to navigate once I found the first tee. Next tee signs hang from each basket. One of the maps, which I didn't even print, would help simplify things even more. The tee signs, located at each of the red tees, are a bit faded, and apparently dated, but still help with navigation. Benches are in place on most, if not all holes, at least at one tee location.

The baskets are all in good shape. There are multiple pin positions for each hole and two baskets on #2 and #5-9. Hopefully #1, 3 & 4 will be getting 2nd baskets, too.

There are three sets of concrete tees providing varying distances and lines to the baskets. The tees have wooden numbers embedded in them that are painted the color of the tee, but the numbers are badly faded. What I didn't see mentioned anywhere else is that there is also at least one set of additional natural tees per per hole. They are marked by two square pavers in the ground, and identify the shortest tee locations that would greatly benefit beginners and kids. For most of the holes, just follow the fairway from the Red tee towards the basket and you'll see the shorter tees. I'd love to take my 8 year old daughter and wife with me next time and let them play from these tees. Most were marked with green paint, but I also saw a couple with orange paint.

As far as the course itself, it provides a little bit of most everything I would want in a course. There are short technical lines to hit. And from the long tees, there were a couple opportunities for me to rip a full drive. (I throw around 325' on level ground, for comparison.) The park uses virtually all of the space available and takes full advantage of the elevation changes, with a pretty even makeup of level, uphill and downhill holes. And the tee that you choose also greatly affects the elevation on some of the holes. There's as stream that can come into play on a couple holes.

There are dead straight shots, left turners and right turners off of the tee. And several holes give distinct options regarding which line to throw. Hole #3 Red is the only totally open hole that I can think of. The #9 drive is also relatively open, depending on your tee choice. Otherwise, each tee shot requires accuracy to avoid early and mid-fairway trees.

Playing from multiple tees to varying basket locations, I got to throw a very nice variety of shots from the tee including straight shots, hyzers, hyzer flips, anhyzers and some nice "S" shots. I even chose to throw a roller, which is very unusual for me, on #4 from the blue tees. Some of the holes play through nice, big, trees and lush grass. Others, though, get into the woods with a lot more smaller trees and such to interfere with your throws. I had no issues with "un-fairways" here at all. Yes, several holes can be very tight, depending on the tee, but I feel that each hole did have at least one reasonable line to hit, if not more. To put it simply, there's a lot of variety in a little space here.

I don't play fast, but still completed 9 holes in 20-25 minutes from the Reds and just a little longer from the Blues. So once you have the navigation down, you can really get in a lot of holes in a short time.

This course can be played and, I think, enjoyed by players of all levels. It would be good for a total beginner, with the extra paver tees, and should be fun for most any experienced player who doesn't hate trees. ;-)

Ran into two groups of locals (it was very early) and both were really nice and accommodating as I cleared out of the fairway in front of them, etc.
Cons: The biggest cons for me are directly related to the variety that the course offers. From the Red tees, there isn't much of an issue. But from the longer tees, there are several crossing fairways. On a busy day, this could create confusion, and could potentially be dangerous. Plus several of the holes are also very close to the walking/biking paths. And the basketball court is very close the #9 fairway.

It would be nice to have more opportunities to just rip some big drives, but that's not the nature of this course.

Since I was on the course at 6:30 a.m. each time I played it, I didn't have any issues with parking or overcrowding. However, I can see these issues easily coming into play.
Other Thoughts: I obviously enjoyed this course a lot. If there was more space so that these same holes could be laid out as 18 different holes, instead of 9 holes with multiple tees, my score would easily go up a half point. I understand that this can't happen, but just want to give an indication as to my perceived quality of the holes themselves. This would also address the safety concerns.

A previous review mentioned bag holders. I only saw one on the entire course, and it looks to be falling over. (Not a con, just a thought.)

Personal story here. During my first round I heard a big "thwack" while walking the #8 fairway. I thought it was a disc hitting a tree on #1. Nobody was there so I didn't give it another thought, until... When I was walking back from #9 to #1, I heard another crack and a huge branch fell out of a tree close to the #1 basket. A couple seconds later, the whole tree came down, from the #1 fairway into the #8 fairway. What incredible timing. Had it fallen 2-3 minutes earlier or later, I would have been right there. Crazy!!!

Anyway, if you're North of DC, it might not be worth the trip. But if you're South of DC, in the Northern VA area, I would definitely recommend playing here. I say in a lot of reviews that I just love the game, no matter what the course. This course, however, is definitely more than "just any course" for sure!

The best "nine hole" course I have played

1    3/21/2013   3/21/2013
Review By: Jashwa
Pros: Even though Bluemont is technically only a nine hole course, if you take full advantage of the layout, it really feels like 27 holes or more. It fell just short of getting a 4 disc rating from me, which to me is like the PERFECT nine hole course.

Bluemont Park is incredibly maintained and it's obvious that a lot of time has been put in to make this a great park overall. There are plenty of trash cans and benches as well as very clean bathrooms. There is also a playground, a basketball court, and a bike trail, each of which don't really interfere with the course (except maybe the bike trail a little bit).

The best part of this course is the fact that there are THREE sets of CONCRETE tees!!! If you play Bluemont, you really should play from all three because they are each very different.

Red tees- Play these for a quick, easy round of golf. Plenty of variety, but no real signature hole

Whites- This was the most fun round that I played at Bluemont. Another quick round, but with significantly more challenge than the reds. My favorite hole on the course is number 6 from the whites.

Blues- You're not messing around when you're playing from these tees. Many very long, very difficult holes that resemble those of the highest caliber courses.

There were also a few "Blue baskets" scattered about the course on four or five of the holes... I didn't play to these baskets, but they appeared to be a bit longer than the "regular" ones.

The different teepad options allowed for 27 different holes to be played despite the fact that this is technically a "nine hole" course.
Cons: Whenever a course has multiple tees and pins, there's a risk of congestion and difficulty navigating. At Blluemont the "pros" of the above amenities definitely outweigh the "cons," but the negative aspects are definitely present. Here are the problems I ran into:

*Safety: Fairways of different holes criss-cross all over the place! If there are more than four groups playing the course at one time you had better watch out.

*Alternate alternate baskets??? Alternate baskets are of course, a good thing overall, but there was a set of blue baskets that seemed to be on a few of the holes that were "alternate alternate baskets." I wanted to play to these because they looked a bit more challenging, but I could never tell if a hole had a blue basket from the tee, or if the tee sign was only denoting an alternate pin placement for the "regular" holes. Made it a bit confusing (though overall the signs were very descriptive and helpful)
Other Thoughts: If I ever find myself anywhere near Arlington, VA again I will go well out of my way to play this awesome course!

Interesting Course

2-4    10/13/2012   1/19/2013
Review By: timbur3
Pros: good tee pads for both tees. Multiple tees and baskets for most holes. Some tough short shots and some decently long drives that have to go through tight areas.
Cons: All the holes are very close together and could be easy to get hit by a disc from another hole. Pars are kinda weird.
Other Thoughts: Good course if you are close. I suggest it if you are close.

Good Use of Space

2-4    1/12/2013   1/14/2013
Review By: Ogroat
Pros: - This course makes very good use of the space they have available.
- There are a couple holes that are relatively memorable. The #1 basket is behind a sprawling tree that has a small window where a drive might get through. One of the tees on hole 3 is close to a large tree that you must throw around to get to the basket.
- There are three concrete tee boxes per hole and many holes have two pins in the ground at any given time. There are several pin positions for each hole.
- For such a small area, there's a good amount of elevation change going on. About half the holes are either up or downhill.
Cons: - Only nine holes.
- Because of the small area that this course is laid out on, the holes bunch up. Some tee positions are even in the line of fire for other holes. You may have to wait to throw in order to avoid hitting others.
- Some of the tee boxes are within spitting distance of others for the same hole. They don't all offer a different experience.
- This course is generally very short. You could probably get away with only bringing mids and putters.
- Signage was present, but lacking. You could see the general layout of the hole, but distances were mostly missing.
- The tee boxes were not a consistent size. Some were comically long, while others were too small.
- Parking is limited and shared with other park activities.
Other Thoughts: - I went on an unusually warm winter day and the park was quite crowded. Waiting wasn't fun, but I did like seeing so many people playing and having fun.
- I would recommend taking your small bag, as there's no real need to have a full assortment of distance drivers.
- One thing that I really like (though I didn't factor into my rating) is the location. It's in Arlington, near a bunch of houses and at least one school. It may be a small course, but it's within walking distance for many people. Kudos to the park authority that decided to put it here and expose more people to the sport. That said, I wouldn't go out of my way to go to this course.
- With the right disc and a big arm, you might be able to drive from one side of the course to the other with two throws.

< Prev 1 2 3 4