Arlington, VA
Bluemont Park Share
Uploaded By: Timber Hole #5 (Taken 2/2002)
3 / 168ft.   3 / 256ft.   3 / 311ft.   3 / 122ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #5 Blue Tee (Winter)

Lots O' Great Golf Here

2-4    4/15/2012   4/16/2012
Review By: clipnfly
Pros: Overall a very good place to play. Course is clean. Many amenities. Water, bathrooms, etc. There is a board for flyers and info at the 1st tee. Garbage cans, benches, bag holders at all holes. Good signs. As busy as this park is the course does not cross walkways or overlap other park use areas. Tee pads are ample and plenty. Baskets are in good shape. Next tee arrows on all baskets. Looks like this course has been here a while, is well developed and well maintained. There is one of everything here. Open holes(#3), Tree tunnels (#8), Tree pinball (#7), Annies (#2, #6), Hyzers (#5, #9), Uphill (#2, #5), Downhill (#3, #6), Blind holes (#4, #6, #9), mandos (#1). See hole-by-hole comments in bottom "other" section. Multiple tee pads and baskets/basket options make this a great place to play often. I played through 2X and played different tees and different baskets on every hole. As the course was set there are at least 38 unique "holes" to play. If you play toe short tees and the close baskets this can be a fun and challenging middie course. If you play the back tees and the deep baskets it does have some bigger arm opportunities. I always pick a signature hole… one that truly exemplifies the character of a course. Toss up on this one… I have to go with either #5 or #6… Both are slightly blind, one uphill, one down, using the terrain well. Lots of trees to contend with. Much physical improvement to the hillside with steps, etc.
Cons: Hole 3 basket plays close to hole 1 basket, small thing but it is what it is. Parking was O.K. today, but on a busy weekend… and if there was a DG event, fuggetaboutit.
Other Thoughts: Hole-by-hole impressions

Hole #1
I took the arrow on the ground by the tree on the left to be a mando… prevents you from shooting "annie" over to the landing area in front of the tree. Must go hyzer. The landing area in front of the tree is a nice place to set p your putt… but beware… a middle placed shot gives you an over and in birdie… but the branches might make a straight in put a non-option making a arcing putt and a duce less likely. Nice hole. Great tree.

Hole #2
Good stair setps up to the basket(s). Nice slight annie. Close basket is birdie-able. Good warm up as to what is to come in the hillier 5 and 6 holes.

Hole #3
Simplest of the holes. Slight downhill, slight hyzer. Aceable from the forward tee pad. I hit metal on my second attempt.

Hole #4
Blind, up and over a ridge. Nice OB behind basket. Set up is everything here. Aan ace attempt with enough height for the chains will land OB. You have to gamble… either go for ace and get a 3… or set up for birdie and skip the ace attempt. Sweet.

Hole #5
Waaaay up… and Waaaay over if you go for the deep basket. Nice stair steps up. Many tee pad options. Plenty of tree pinball problems here… and the worst of it is the rollaway that can steal most all of your distance if the disc does not land flat. Esp putts to the lower basket. The clearer ground is ideal for a put to roll away and give you a second putt that will be DOUBLE the length of the one you just missed.

Hole #6
I liked 6 more the second time when I knew where the baskets were. I like annie holes and the length of this own is great for my arm. With more than one pad and more than one basket… can you not just play this hole 9 times and call it a course on its own?

Hole#7
One of the best (worst) tree pinball galleries I have shot in some time. There is NO clean, clear shot here. Multiple pads and multiple pins combined with about a zillion shot shaping choices for how you can and might wish to play the trees… awesome forest disc golf. Play this hole over and over until your arm falls off. You will never play it the same way twice. Bring a premium disc since all that tree chopping will kill a cheap-o disc pretty fast.

Hole #8
A great tree tunnel. From any pad and to either basket there is a straight, clean shot to be drilled here. Problem is… you are just not that good at tossing a lazer beam. This is a great contrast to 7 where there is Zero clean line shot. A perfect follow up to 7 is 8. Maybe a bit boring for some as it is a straight, clean shot… But… a welcome challenge.

Hole #9
A simple blind hyzer. It is a great hole on its own merits… but with 8 great holes in front of it… kinda less exciting. Don't get me wrong. Still a great golf hole. Problem is for most RHBR tossers with a bit of distance in their arm this becomes just an easy and simple duce.

2-4    10/15/2011   11/9/2011
Review By: H3LlIoN
Pros: Close to D.C., good neighborhood, plenty of amenities in terms of bath facilities, picnic tables, a playground. Like others have said, this is a small course on a small piece of land. It plays quick, but it's still a fun course. I played it twice from each tee location when available, as I'm used to 18. There are multiple tees (concrete) and multiple cages on MOST holes. The signs on every hole do a decent job of laying out the hole with pin and tee locations. There are trash cans everywhere, and the park is quite nice. The course lays out around a nice stream, and there is decent elevation going on. Pretty much everything is tight and wooded...losing discs shouldn't be a concern at all.
Cons: Well, first and obviously, it's only a niner. It's a little confusing at first, as the holes lay out across each other, so we spent a good bit of time the first round pre-walking the holes trying to figure out where we were headed. The park is crowded, and the parking isn't the best. If you enjoy frosty beverages, better brown bag it....kids/families are everywhere.
Other Thoughts: This course was shorter than I expected and not much of a work out, but it is a fun little course that I would play again from time to time, and would be great for playing with children or beginners, or perhaps to sneak a quick round in after work.

Never again

1    6/12/2011   6/12/2011
Review By: agentdozzer
Pros: Course had mutiple pins and tees at each hole. The course was almost all under tree cover providing nice break from the sun.
Cons: The course had no flow at all. The extra tee pads were all over the place many times on another holes fairway.
Other Thoughts: I think people are trying to do to much at this course, the extra pins and pads seem like a good idea but it is a small park with nine holes. I went to DC and wanted to play a course in Virginia and Maryland, after reading reviews for Bluemont and Calvert I was really excited, well Calvert delievered and Bluemont did not. I wish I would have played Calvert twice and not wasted my time at this park. I cant believe it has so many reviews and is this highly rated. There were maybe three good holes, that doesnt equal a 3.5 to me. If your in the DC area go to Calvert it is a much better course.

Try the Bluemont "Blues"

2-4    5/28/2011   5/29/2011
Review By: forehandfranz
This review was updated on 11/10/2013
Pros: This course is squeezed onto a tiny, pretty piece of land but milks it for all it's worth. You really get your money's worth here (it's free, actually) as they have three tee pads per hole and varying pin positions. They had dual pins on 4 of nine holes when I played.
You will be challenged to a wide variety of shots, but bring your short game, not much room to unwind (except a couple of shots on 8 and 9). The terrain is hilly and very woodsy

My favorite hole was the blue tee on #1 - you must go around a tree about 50' off the tee, place your drive perfectly, to set up along a thin fairway for another 275' to a pin that's protected by a cool, gnarled tree.
Cons: Well, several of the blue (long) tees interfere with other fairways- I can only imagine what it would be like during a tourney or a crowded day. It could impose danger, but I guess that people just need to be very alert. The Blue tee on #7 is very vulnerable to a stray drive from #6 (one of my drives landed very close to this tee). Also, a pedestrian walkway along 7-9 would also fall under the same category - just be careful and considerate.
Other Thoughts: The day I played there were 6 possible layouts to play which kept things interesting. Also, it was Memorial Day weekend and there were many families having picnics right next to the course, but nobody wandered onto the course, as they seemed to be well aware that it was the disc golf area. What a great symbiotic relationship with Discers and park goers! That OB path was like a force field!

Hole # 5 has a it's long pin protected behind a thick 50'-long group of thin trees. Where's the route? I enjoyed how it forces you to improvise a "route", but I also think it could be only slightly thinned and would still make for a nail biter.

A few have spoken about how this is the best 9-holer they've played. I would suggest you try Mineral Springs (Northpark) out in my neck 'o the woods in Seattle, as it has a very similar feel as this one, and would yield the same rating as I've given it here.

sweet little 9

1    5/11/2011   5/11/2011
Review By: aimonetony
Pros: quick throw, easy walk. nice people and i got a beautiful day. #5 is as nice a signature hole as you could wish for. There is a nice, hidden parking lot near #7 that the locals can meet on and throw. The easy pads are easy enough to use trash can lid frisbees on and the blue holes are very challenging.
Cons: could be signed a little better.

A- = Amazingly cool crowded course

1    8/15/2010   3/3/2011
Pros: Although there are 3 sets of tees and multiple basket locations on this course most of which give the hole a totally different line, it is still a 9-holer. As such, this review is a review of the "best of" tees for each hole.

In some people's minds having extra tees can only boost the course's rating; and others think that adding inferior tees diminish the course. I spent a lot of time finding all the basket collar locations and considering the best one for each tee pad (I feel sorry for my nephew who was with me and had to put up with this)….and there are a lot of dumb combinations but more great combinations…..all depends on the day you show up and what basket locations are in use. I cannot really make up my mind how to fairly rate this course, but I settled on doing "best of".

What I personally like and how this course stacks up in my list of 9 hole courses (over 110 played):

1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == A
(With the exception of 1 or maybe 2 holes, this course nails it in this department. There is a good mixture of holes that will punish errant go-for-it shots and the type that you need to really figure out the best line to take….and then perform well to execute it.)

2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I'm a Blue level player (950ish skill) who throws 300' accurately, 360' max. == B+
(This would be a solid A except that 2-3 holes were a little short so the thrill of parking those is less. Still, playing best-of is a worthy challenge and breaking much below say a 24 is an accomplishment.)

3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == A
(This course has absolutely amazing variety of hole types and shot shapes - everything you could ever expect out of a 9-holer…..except for a nice downhill let-er-rip sort of hole (which there simply is not room for).)

4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == B
(If this course was spread out on the same sort of land, trees, and terrain rather than being all on top of each other, it would be a solid A. It is indeed very very nice, but all the fairways and tee pads all over and on top of each other along with the walking path and views of other park activities takes things down a few notches.)

5) Bonus points for multi-throw holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == 1-2 bonus points for this
(Hole 1 from the longest tee to the first basket behind the sprawling tree is a legit 2-throw hole that will stress finesse. You gotta land your drive perfectly and well past the middle tee to have a dead straight hard shot through the sprawling tree. Or you could do a skip hyzer around the right side of the tree to get close to the pin. Very challenging….bordering on too challenging - but I love it!)

Bluemont NEW MOUND

5+    9/28/2010   9/29/2010
Review By: elnino
Pros: three tees concrete
Baskets very nice and 4 different pin locations
pin locations moved frequently
good for beginner and pros
huge variety of trees
Cons: small amounts of poison ivy
some fairways intersect so must be careful on crowded days.
Other Thoughts: I play here 4 times a week and i don't really get tired of it. so much variety and really for the accurate players. anybody that is just a brute thrower will hate it cuz only one hole is really open and only from one of the 27 pads do you get a wide open shot! practice basket for putting is kind of weak really would like to see this feature updated so that more players would stay off the course to work on putting.

Where do i throw?

2-4    9/8/2010   9/18/2010
Review By: kennykaka
Pros: nice park, some oddly placed tees. kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
Cons: kids, course traffic, hard to find/see holes, no making of current pin placement, innconsistant second holes, very compact
Other Thoughts: hole five and 18 are nice

Some confusion...

2-4    7/25/2009   3/26/2010
Review By: jdgdreamer
Pros: Wonderful variety...I played three rounds of 9 holes and none were the same!

Some of the distances and tree lines made accuracy the goal instead of brute force for throwing.

This was my first course with multiple pins AND multiple baskets...having the variety was wonderful...

During the weekday, there were few people on the course, so I got to stop and throw some practice discs around obstacles and get a better feel for some new discs flight path.
Cons: As this was my first course with multiple pins AND multiple baskets, it was a bit confusing to keep straight in my head with which 'exact' basket/pin combo I was playing. The map I printed from the website helped a bit, but I was also glad to happen to meet a local who directed me to one basket deep in the woods that added to the challenge on a couple of holes.

It seems that there aren't all the baskets at all the holes, which makes the map a bit troublesome...and a couple of the holes cross over each other, so if you're new to the course, there might be confusion if you're not used to that (and watching for other throwers that might be on the course).
Other Thoughts: If this course had all baskets all the time, I think that I might just make special trips to visit this course (I have family in the area, even though I'm not local) the location is quiet, other people in the park were friendly and it's close to transit if you're visiting the area!

"Man, if it wasn't for that tree!"

5+    3/10/2010   3/15/2010
Review By: hedfan1
This review was updated on 10/12/2010
Pros: Played this course dozens X dozens of times = My Review

Well for me it's two miles away but besides that, this course is accessible by road and by pedestrian city trails! I often drive but when the weather is great and I feel the motivation, I hop on my bike and ride to this "9" hole course.

This get's a bit long, so grab yourself a beer or some popcorn and let's get to it!

**Three tee pad positions
**Tee pads are all cement
**Pad positions alter each hole significantly
**Multiple pin positions (changed regularly)
**Holes #5 #8 and #9 have permanent blue pro baskets
**During daylight saving time there are weekly doubles each Thursday to meet new players and motivate you to keep practicing and finding new ways to improve
**Garbage cans closely available by holes 1-2-4-7-8-9 keep this park fairly clean!
**Great elevation changes
**Water comes into play but don't expect to loose your disc, it's slow flowing and shallow creeks!
**OB and Mandos make you respect the courses layout as well as help protect other Discers from getting hit
Cons: Well, it depends on what type of disc golfer you are to call out cons on this course but I'll try to cover any issues I have come up with in my experience... I don't consider these cons anymore, but I know others do.

1. If you have strength but don't have finesse in your shot, the trees on this course will frustrate you very quickly. That's how I felt for a long time when I began playing this course. If your new to the course, start on the red tees and work your way back to the blues, it will save you from pulling chunks of hair out of your head! At first the trees make it seem like there is no good path to take on some holes but trust me, you can do it! After many rounds here I have really picked up my finesse game!

2. The pedestrian path runs right down the right side of hole #8's fairway but just be patient for path users to get clear and it's not a huge issue, respect their safety, their not always watching you so be careful.

3. Not the courses fault but their are a number of areas that get very wet and soggy after the rain or melting snow, if you decide to play after those conditions, expect to get a little muddy.

4. To shoot from the Blue or White pads on #1 you have to throw across #9 fairway. Just keep your eyes open!

5. To shoot from the Blue pad on #2 you have to throw across #8 fairway. Just keep your eyes open!

6. To shoot from blue on #4 you have to throw across #8 fairway. Just keep your eyes open!

7. To shoot from the Blue or White pads on # 7 you are shooting across the walking path so like I said in 4, 5 and 6, just keep your eyes open, rarely do I find these issues to actually be an issue.

7. Hole markings could be better but plenty sufficient for this course. If you have a problem, just ask someone and they can probably help you out!

Other Thoughts: Bluemont is marked as a 9 hole course but in fact, when you shoot from all three tee pads it feels like a 27 hole course! If you take into account the different pin positions laid out through out the year it becomes 112 different challenging holes to play!

My 9 hole break down...

#1
RED - Trash Can and Bench at tee. Depending on pin placement this is an ace run hole, although I never have...
WHITE - Bench at tee. This fairway is divided by a few trees right down the middle, pick your path right or left and go for it!
BLUE - Bench at tee. A tunnel shot off the tee to a fairly open fairway, once you cross that then your near the red tee and you can go for a great upshot to make 3, don't feel bad with a 4 or 5 on this one.

#2
RED - A deceiving uphill shot to the right, depending on pin placement, ace run possible but difficult.
WHITE - Just to the right of the red tee but creates a harsher right angle shot
BLUE - Trash can and Bench near by. From here your adding about 200 ft. from the red or whites. There is a mando on this hole that has increased it's difficulty greatly, again don't be disappointed with a 4 from here.

#3
RED - Bench at tee. This is going down hill to the left, over shooting can be an issue here. It is deceptively more difficult than it appears.
WHITE - Places you up higher but from the same angle, I tend to over shoot from here all to often.
BLUE - Actually a bit closer than whites but it creates a harsher angle and also adds some extra obstructions. Note: Look for the mando on the tree up to your left, you need to shoot to the right of it!

#4
RED - Trash can and Bench at tee. Depending on pin placement this is a very deuce-able hole but also can be a difficult 3. This is a dog leg to the right for most of the pin positions, look for the mando to the right..
WHITE - Bench at tee. A bit longer with a harsher right curve to the hole. This has two mandos that come into play.
BLUE - Quite a bit longer, small gaps to hit and then curves right. Two mados can come into play here as well.

#5
RED - Big Elevation change, your shooting from the base of the stream's ravine to the top of the hill, lots of trees!
WHITE - Bench at tee. Here your shooting over the stream and then up the hill to the pin, lots of trees!
BLUE - Bench at tee. Further up the hill from white, now your close to the same elevation as the pin but a long shot across the gap over the stream and up the hill. This is my favorite tee pad on the course!

#6
RED - Bench at tee. This has a mando that forces you left but right after that mando your going to be going right. This is a great hole if you miss the trees, trust me there are plenty here.
WHITE - Bench at tee. Down the hill near the red pad of #5. This is a tough shot but doable. You still need to curve right but watch out, if you go left a tree could kick you in to the OB stream very easily!
BLUE - Just behind the red tees but now you have a narrow gap to shoot before you pass the mando and fade right.
RAG - I'm not sure but I see it as a tribute to who I consider the Godfather of Bluemont, his name is Rag, pronounced Rog with a hard G. I'll say, good luck from here, its back from blue about 20 feet but makes a huge difference!

#7
RED - Bench at tee. Here you have a doable deuce but good luck they don't come easy! Your teeing off between two large trees down a fairly technical fairway greeted by some well placed trees just before the pin.
WHITE - Bench at tee. Here your shooting to the right of the two big trees I was talking about, from their it plays like red.
BLUE - Trash can and bench at tee. Here your shooting down hill trying to make that gap where the red tee is located. This is my second favorite tee at the course, just a really cool layout.

#8
RED - Bench at tee. Fairly open fairway but not an easy one to hit, watch out for the blond twins (trees) sitting in the middle, they will eat you up from your drive. Watch for pedestrians on the path, not only for their safety but also it will cost you a stroke if you land on it or over it, you go to far, your fishing your disc out of another stream!
WHITE - Similar distance from red, a tad longer just a different angle.
BLUE -Similar distance from white, a tad longer just a different angle.

#9
RED - Bench and trashcan at tee. This is a fun hole as well to let loose and go for a long shot, you have an open fairway with a few trees to watch for on the left, get past those, turn left and shoot up a small hill!
WHITE - Right off the tee pad you need to shoot left past a big tree. Then stay right long enough to clear those trees on the left of the fairway! This tree has eaten a few discs of mine as well as others I play with! If you don't believe me take a look at the tree your self, it's got the scars to prove it!
BLUE - Here your shooting right of that big tree, here the blue tee seems easier than the white to me!

Playing all par 3's from the winter pin positions -
Just to get an idea of difficulty, I play this course on average 3 times a week...
My Best from Reds - (-3)
My Best from Whites - (-1)
My Best from Blues - (+1)
All 27 Tees - (+1)

During the winter it's nice and quiet in this park but when the weather is nice and it's the weekend things can get a bit crowded. This course in my opinion is well worth the effort to try out, but play it 5+ times before you judge it, trust me you'll like it! Eventually ;)