Macungie, PA
Bear Creek - Original Share
Uploaded By: zapplayer12 Hole #4 (Taken 7/2012)

Could have been better, could have been worse.

1    4/7/2013   4/7/2013
Review By: Golden
Pros: Concrete tee pads on most holes, good flow and easy to navigate. Holes 10 and 11 are the signature holes on this course, but bring some throwaway discs (or floating plastic). The back 9 is much more fun than the front, but is very tight and could use some tree maintenance.
Cons: The first 9 holes are a little on top of each other. There is a ton of land out there, and I feel like they went way too short, and most holes are left hand hyzer fades. It is apparent that the course needs to be played more, and has a lot of potential to be a nice beginner friendly course.
Other Thoughts: The cleanliness, flow, and signature holes make up for the lefty friendly and shortness of the course. Can be played in less than 2 hours, but wouldn't recommend making a trip out there for a full day trip. It might be a good ending round as I believe they have a restaurant and bar on the premisses.

A Decent Ski Course

1    7/4/2011   7/6/2011
Review By: bcr123psu
Pros: Bear Creek is a rugged combination of two disctinctly different courses. The front nine features a pair of open risk/reward holes followed by seven wooded holes. These seven holes feature both left and right-turning doglegs over rocky terrain and includes a wandering stream that could easily add a circle and an extra stroke to your score. The back nine is a verticle hike that meanders up the face of the ski slopes. While most of the first nine holes are fairly flat (#1 and #2 being the exception), the second nine most definitely has elevation in play, including uphill, downhill, and across the fall line.

This course is a great example of the type of course that forces players to weigh the value of "going for it" or "laying" up. This is always in play on the downhill holes, but this really gets kicked into high gear right from the start on holes #1 and #2, throwing over disc-stealing water.

The baskets are in great shape and feature tape to point to the next tee. If that wasn't enough, there is no shortage of arrows that also point to the subsequent tee. Garbage cans are all over the course and appear to be used as there is no garbage on the course. Picnic tables are also available on/between several holes and are a great way to take a break from all the verticle elevation changes. The steps after hole #9 are well crafted and make it easy to start your ascent.
Cons: Some of the lanes on the front nine didn't seem to be quite there yet. Hopefully as time goes on and this course evolves, the lines required on the wooded fairways will be easier identify. For the back nine, most of the holes seemed to be straight throws from guarded tees to open baskets or straight throws from open tees to guarded baskets without many doglegs. WIth the exception of a few holes, most of the fairways seemed to be a similar length.

The walk from the tee on #16 down to the basket is very steep and dangerous. The safer route down is to head back down the fairway to #15, which brings its own set of dangers.

Given all the land available at this course, it doesn't seem that it was utilized to maximum potential. Specifically, the nearly half mile walk from the 18th basket back to the parking lot is somewhat ridiculous.

The elevated tees at Bear Creek are pieced together from pieces of rubber mats and are fairly small. This combination is no good for those holes that require any kind of run-up.

The mosquitos and gnats were absolutely opressive. Large pools of stagnant water all over the course likely serve as breeding grounds for these nuisances. Normally, I'd put this into "Other" because this type of problem is only in play for part of the year, but considering that this course is only open part of the year, this is going to be a full-time issue.

Goose poo was all around the basket on hole #2. Drives parked on this hole might end up being punished anyhow.
Other Thoughts: This course is a workout. The first half requires careful, sure footing. The second half is a hefy cardio climb and will quickly make you huff and puff...even for those in fantastic shape. If you're easily winded, not good on your feet, or not in good physicial condition, I wouldn't recommend attempting the back nine.

Overall, I'm happy to have another course in the Lehigh Valley. Given the space available at this resort, I just wish there would have been a bit more to it from a hole length and variety perspectie (specifically on the ski slope holes). That being said, once you've had a chance to play the championship caliber courses in the Lehigh Valley, give Bear Creek a rip.

Mixed Review

2-4    6/30/2011   7/5/2011
Review By: discreview1
Pros: Hole 1 & 2 are very fun opening shots for the course. Hole 18 is excellent as well
Cons: Holes 3-7 are difficult and some with virtually no lane or path to the pin. This is a new course so with time these holes could be very fun. The tee pads aren't leveled with the ground which may be ackward for some and also some of the tee pads are on the smaller side. ******* THE BIGGEST CON YET : Hole 18. Hole 18 is an excellent hole with 1 MAJOR problem. The opening leads to the pavilion where people have weddings. On this day after we threw and were enjoying the long drives, when we were looking for our discs, we were greeted by someone from security walking towards us. She was telling us that we were talking to loud and that the wedding party could here us (even stated that she could here us from the teepad) . Now normally I wouldnt mind being told to not be loud except for the fact that she wanted us to whisper as we walked and played. She was also extremely rude and interrogated us about what we were doing (as if the discs in our hand, the pin we were walking to, and the bags of discs on our backs wasnt a big enough sign) and she also escorted us to just about the parking lot. Perhaps they should have thought about placing hole 18 within ear shot of where someone could have a wedding or perhaps maybe the wedding should have thought about having their wedding by where a FREE disc golf course is located.
Other Thoughts: The course all in all was fun since it was new but, with the lack of the front holes being cleaned up (3-7) and the extremely rude personel, this course gets a 3. Once its cleaned up, ill be able to look past the rude persons and rate this course better.

room for improvement

1    5/30/2011   6/7/2011
Review By: blazerico
Pros: Like most people, I was excited about playing a free ski hill course after seeing the pictures on fb (before it was listed on dgcr.) My excitement came to a peak when we pulled into the parking lot and saw the awesome drop from tee to basket on hole1. 30 mph cross winds added to the experience that day! My excitement was quickly squashed when we got to the wooded holes 3-9, none of which seemed to have a discernable fairway. I like wooded holes as much as the next guy, but some use of a chainsaw would make these holes more pleasurable. After a short walk past the scum filled pond-complete with floating dead animals- you get to the open holes 10-18 and the workout begins. There is a nice mix of up and downhill shots with very little hiking in between. My group (2 big guys and 2 skinny guys) didn't really have a problem with getting winded, just take your time and it will be okay. 18 dumps you right at the lodge, so you can clean up a bit and get a drink or food if you like. You might want a drink as you contemplate the long uphill walk to get back to your car. Luckily we had two cars so we didn't have to deal with it.
Cons:
-The major con is the walk after 18. If I was there with only one car, I would probably park at the bottom and warm-up by walking up that hill first.
-I don't remember seeing any benches or trash cans on the course, not a problem for me but others seem to like those perks.
-There is no water, except at the lodge.
-New course = rough is REALLY rough! Forget about finding lost discs on certain holes. 18 took three of our discs and 1 stole a disc too.
-3-9 need a little clearing and maybe some alternate/longer tees.
-A few of the holes could use alternate/shorter tees to make the course beginner friendly-again, not a concern of mine.
Other Thoughts: -When I heard that someone mentioned having the worlds here in a few years, I literally laughed out loud. This course is no where near that caliber and I don't know if it ever will be. As it sits now, the course is pretty good and there is great potential for improvement, but whoever had that worlds thought needs a reality check.
-Holes 3-9 really bring this course down, but 1-2, 10-18 almost make up it.
-Teebox for the short downhill hole, 16-I think, is the smallest teebox I've ever seen. It's probably only 3x3 and really that's all you need because the pin is so short that a run up would be complete overkill and is totally unnecessary.
-I can't really say that I will go back anytime soon, maybe because Tyler, Nocky, Iron hill etc are closer to me.
-Bear Creek is a resort that hosts some expensive weddings and other functions, so I can't help but wonder if dirty/sweaty dg'ers will be welcome in the lodge during such functions. I can see it now: daddy pays 30k for the wedding only to have it spoiled when someone yells F**K after losing a disc and it echoes down the hill and interrupts the vows. Just kidding, I don't know if sound would travel down the hill that well.