Macungie, PA
Bear Creek - Original Share
Uploaded By: zapplayer12 Hole #9 (Taken 7/2012)

excellent

5+    2/14/2013   2/16/2013
Review By: Hartley444
Pros: Quickly becoming one of my favorites in Lehigh/Bucks area. This course is well maintained and a fun and relatively fast play. It has a lot of ace opportunities and hole 10 in particular is the gem playing over a portion of a large pond. It has a good combination of holes that are not wooded 1-11, and heavily wooded 12-18. Concrete tee pads make for better tee offs and were recently added to the wooded portion of the course. A boat is also provided to retrieve your disc should it go in the pond if its a floating disc.
Cons: Tee pads in the unwooded portion are small. Although you don't need a lot of power on these holes, it would be nice if they were larger.
Other Thoughts: Its not as good as the mountain course but definitely a top 5 in the surrounding area.

Too Much of a Good Thing?

2-4    3/25/2012   6/6/2011
Review By: Hyzer_Soze
This review was updated on 4/11/2012
Pros: Amazing layout, design and condition. The tee boxes are rubber and pristine. Course was easy to follow and filled with signature holes.

It's a disc golf experience that you won't forget, for many reasons, almost all of which are good. There are however, some challenges to overcome, see the cons.
Cons: I hesitate to call some of the problems cons. You can't have the joy of incredible elevation changes without having to traverse that elevation. And if I'm not in shape, it's my own fault. But seriously, this is a physical challenge that shouldn't be underestimated.

If you're not in excellent shape, make sure to take some breathers from 10-14, or you will be hurting and unable to enjoy 15-18. I'm not in great shape, and I was suffering.

Poison Ivy is everywhere on the back nine. It's nearly impossible to avoid.

The joy of seeing your disc sail downhill on the epic 18th is quickly washed away when you look out over the lodge and see your car in the parking lot. It will look like a matchbox. It's a LONG walk in from 18. And it's uphill, but if 10-14 didn't kill you, my money is on you making it.
Other Thoughts: Some hole information:

If you came, played 1 and 2 and left, you'd still have an experience.

#1 Right off the parking lot, under a gazebo you'll find the pristine # 1 tee box looking out over the a lake. You better have your A game or a disc you don't mind losing. Thick woods on the right, nothing but lake to the left and a precarious strip of sloped land where the basket sits in the middle.

#2 - This has an L shaped fairway that hugs the water. You can go for the pin but it's all carry over the lake. I'm not very long but I throw consistently between 280-300. There's no distances out yet for the course, but it looked closer so I took some off my drive and came up just short. I recommend throwing it a full 300 and being safe. I was able to recover my disc with the help of a big stick left behind by others.

#3 - #7- **EDIT (ALL of these holes have a clearly defined lane now. They are all fair for short holes. I removed my previous criticism). It is well laid out and the next tee box is almost always visible from the basket of the hole just finished. There are also orange arrows pointing you in the right direction.

#8 - This plays along a creek bed and has a clearly defined fairway. It requires a little anhyzer shot. It's a short hole with a lot of character.

#9- This hole is tight as well, but has a fair gap.

#10-14- I'd love to go into detail on these holes, because I think they were cool, but I was so intent on putting one foot in front of the other and not passing out that I can't recall much. They go up. That much I'm sure.

#15 - I was so happy to get to the 15th tee and see that I was going across the mountain. The mountain to my right the slope to my left. I throw a right hand backhand. I threw a pretty good one and was pleased, until it started hyzering down the slope. 250 feet later, I realized that I'd have to trek down and fight my way back up to the basket. Great hole, stupid me. (EDIT - If you get one of these hyzers...leave the disc, get it after putting out on 16, you'll thank me later.)

#16- This is a steep downhill short touch shot. It's easy to overshoot. The walk down is steep and I was tempted to just roll down to the basket to save energy.

#17- This is another side hill hole but without the threat of losing a hyzer down the mountain. It's a good solid hole that one day I hope to enjoy without being exhausted.

#18- This is an epic bomb down a massive hill. If you have anything left to give, you'll love this hole. Try not to look for your car over the lodge though, because the walk that awaits you can be depressing. (Keep a close eye on your disc, it's traveling a LONG way and can be tough to find.

I'll play this course again, but I'll make sure to take 10-14 real slow and hopefully I'll be in better shape. My hat's off to the designers of the course. They had an epic vision and pulled it off. I'm a diehard and I never thought I'd say this, but it might just be too much course for me. I gave it a 4.0. If 3-7 gets some more defined throwing lanes I could easily justify increasing that ranking. Not sure if anything can be done about the poison ivy, there's just too much of it.

Another Lehigh Valley Gem

1    5/29/2011   6/1/2011
Review By: zapplayer12
Pros: Brand new rubber tee pads with hole number either on wood border or a tree by the tee

DISCatcher baskets - yellow makes them easy to locate and best of all they're new

Easy to navigate even without tee signs - there are small signs with orange arrows pointing towards the pin position as well as to the next tee throughout the course

Significant elevation changes -pretty much the entire back nine (and hole #1)

Water hazard in play on four holes : Holes 1 & 2's large pond where disc loss possibility is high and holes 7 & 8 bordering a creek in the woods where disc loss probability is low

Excellent design incorporating many of the elements one would expect in a high caliber course which will keep the avid disc golfer coming back for more.

Nice mix/balance in throw types & hole types which are mentally/physically challenging - essentially a complete game will be needed to score well here

Great starting/finishing holes - particularly signature hole #1's drive from up high in the parking lot over a large pond to a pin on an incline. You will remember this hole forever.

A natural flow (see cons for one exception) most notably on the woods holes 3-9.

The back 9's ski/lift area holes aren't your 'typical' ski area holes where the majority of drives off the tee are downhill. Nope, two-thirds of them are uphill and will test your endurance - especially in hot and humid weather.

Fortunately, holes 3-9 are mostly flat with the central challenge being tight, technical, heavy woods.

In a ski area, so amenities are on site (not sure as to the availability however)

Free of charge!!!!
Cons:

Extended walk from 9 to 10 (follow blue spray paint directions on the ground) followed by five grueling uphill holes (10-14) may tucker out those not in the best shape so be prepared.

Extremely long walk from 18 to the upper parking lot

No tee signs (I'm sure they will be installed eventually) - for first timers, this isn't so much a problem with navigation as it is knowing the length of the holes and some of the pin positions (the orange arrows don't always do them justice).

With any new course, the woods holes are overgrown but not disc-loss thick. Just be careful of poison ivy and other itch-causing plants throughout.

Ski area stuff abounds on the back nine detracting from the aesthetic appeal

Other Thoughts: It's obvious when approaching the first tee that this is a place for serious disc golf. Much will be said about the epic first hole & it's a tremendous opener -a big, open elevated
bomb over a large pond with dense rough lining the narrow landing area - there's a lot of risk as the pin is on an incline not far from the water's edge and even a successful drive could easily roll away into the drink. Then there's temptation on hole 2 with water on the left, rough on the right and a narrow landing area in front. It's as if the devil is on your left shoulder enticing you to drive over the large pond & go for it while the angel on your right shoulder begs you to think better of it and lay up on the slim strip of fairway. Fun stuff indeed!

The wooded holes (3-9) remind me of the courses I played when first starting out in the late nineties. First off there's the trees -tight, technical and lacking the typical, clearly defined driving lanes encountered on older, more broken in courses where the infuriatingly smaller shot-killing trees are cleared out over time. However in this case, these lesser trees add to the complexities of the lines you must hit which is a characteristic I find appealing. Secondly, there's plenty of rough around - not the disc eating kind thankfully - but enough to make you mindful of where the disc lands and more importantly WHAT it lands in (poison). Thirdly, the length of the holes are fair and most pins are reachable off the tee if you sculpt your drive properly. Still, recovery from errant throws can be challenging so concern is warranted. Fourth, the flow of these holes was pretty much seamless as the next tee is only a short walking distance from the previous pin - this saves energy you will certainly need on the brutal back nine. Finally, a non-disc eating creek comes into play on holes 7 (lining the right side of the fairway where you eventually have to cross over to reach the pin) & 8 where the creek IS the fairway. The latter being the standout hole in this wooded sequence.

Follow the blue paint on the ground for an extended walk to the back nine where the grueling, uphill holes 10-14 await. These will seriously test your endurance with extreme, ascending elevation, tees/pins placed at the edge of/in the woods & primarily throwing up/across open fairways which are in essence cutouts for the ski/lift areas. Thankfully, hole 15 provides a reprieve with a downhill drive but wait - the pin is placed on another incline! #16's downhill drive bordered by a ski lift on the right has a tee so small you basically can only stand and deliver. However this is good because no run up is necessary as this hole can easily be overshot with even the tamest drive. 17's uphill has a nice, flat landing area (by the ski lift exit) providing a clean look at the pin in the woods cutout. 18's a fun finisher with a downhill ski-slope bomb. The bummer after this is the realization of how far you have to walk to get back to your car in the upper lot.

This is a no doubt 'wish list' course for DGCR-ers and one that out of town-ers will want to hit if visiting the Lehigh Valley. Area golfers are once again spoiled with another outstanding course which is only going to improve as time passes. And from what I understand, there's another 18 holes going in at Bear Creek which will only make this destination that more appealing. My hope for this additional course is that it will somehow intertwine with the existing course so you can play 9-hole mix/match combinations as the current course is really like two different (but wonderful) 9 hole worlds (woods world and mountain world).

I'm a tee sign stickler and while I'm confident they will be installed soon (if not already - or perhaps a map/scorecard?), I have to rate the course based on my experience when I played. Therefore while I feel this course is closer to a 4.5 than a 4, I have to round it down for lack of tee signs. No worries though - I'll be here regularly and consequently will update the rating as improvements/changes are made.