Plant City, FL
Edward Medard Park Share
Uploaded By: RussMB Hole #11 (Taken 4/2012)

From good to bad.

1    10/13/2013   10/13/2013
Review By: Charbachuk
Pros: - Course is located inside of Edward Medard Park; a very large park in central Florida.
- Brand new, concrete Tee-Pads.
- Tee-signs are very nice, hand carved wooden posts with a hole profile and distance.
- Front 9 is one of the nicest, and most challenging 9 holes in Florida.
- Park offers an entire outdoor Florida type experience.
- Course utilizes the space about as well as it could.
Cons: - The entire back 9; two things to note on the back 9. 1.) There are very little fairways, most of the holes are jammed into a small section of woods and play either from tee-pad to basket or down a glorified pathway. 2.) John E. McCray is a crazy man. The entire course is extremely difficult, and could only be created by one of the greatest players in disc golf history.
- The bugs on this course are insane; I had a mosquito the size of my thumb bite me through my shirt.
- No true signature hole, and definitely no true signature finishing hole.
Other Thoughts: - This is a nice course for the space that it is built on; really good use of space.
- Definitely one of the harder courses in the area, each hole is a totally new experience and challenge.

- If you enjoy a challenge then this is a destination course for sure, if not, then don't take a day trip for this one.

I Almost Loved It

1    9/6/2013   9/9/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: This course got me at the tee signs. A wooden pole. A map of the hole carved and painted onto it. Very accurately, I might add. I've seen more informative signs but I prefer these to any others that I've encountered.

Going forward, I loved the course through twelve or so holes. I was thinking in my head, "this is a four star course." The holes were occasionally close to other parts of the park, but they were constructed so as not to be an issue.

For the most part the holes were both challenging and fair and I would love to have another shot a bunch of them. It starts out with a few open holes, that require some distance. Then it goes into the woods. Now those are some fun holes, with danger and high rewards. Especially five. The U shaped hole. I could see a bunch of different ways to play that. I also loved nine. You exit the woods to bomb one across a field, trying to place your shot to give access to the nook, where the basket lies on a steep hill. The best part: from the tee, there are two nooks which could possibly hold the basket. I don't even want to spoil because it was fun to play it unsure.

The flow is also fantastic. One hole transitions seamlessly to the next. Into the woods. Out of the woods. Under a tree. Around a sharp and short dogleg to the right. Even when you do have to backtrack from eleven to twelve, there is a nice trail carved outside of the fairway. Going on the last few holes, I was as happy as could be.
Cons: However, at around thirteen, the course design takes a turn for the worse. Some of the holes just seem arbitrary. I think its fourteen that offers no real path to the basket that doesn't mean you have a good shot of a tree knocking you into brackish water. (Although it did allow me to successfully try out my new retriever)

Sixteen uses the same trick that I liked on nine, with the open shot leading to the basket tucked on a ledge but to a far lesser effect.

And then it fizzles on seventeen and eighteen, two of the blandest holes on the course. There is something to said for finishing strong. That doesn't happen here, which is sad because of the expectations the first 2/3 of the course had built up in my mind.

To be fair, a couple of those holes might play better when the waters lower, but that doesn't fix the end problem. Finish with one more hole of the caliber of 5-8 and Medard is a gem.

If only it were a dedicated park!

5+    5/5/2013   7/10/2013
Review By: tampabay
Pros: -Hills! This is the only Florida course I've played that actually has "hills", by that I do mean Florida hills. It adds a lot of fun to a very flat state.
-Balance. It has left finishing (1,2,5,10,15,16), right finishing (6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 18) and straight (3,4,12,13,14,17) finishing shots, 14 and 17 both finish a little right but have a long straight fairway. Such a good balance of shots.
-Distance. This course has hard distance, not long distance. By that I mean most of the distance shots have a catch, except for hole 9 and 16 which are both a blast over an open field, yet the basket it still tucked under a tree at the end.
-Variety. This course has open shots, wooded shots, blind shots, water shots, it has it all.
-Challenge. This course is a monster. I would say its one of the 5 most difficult courses in Florida, especially if you don't know the "local shots", meaning the high % routes that might not be obvious.
-Teepads/Signs. Very good shape. Most of the holes have benches and trashcans as well.
Cons: -Other park traffic. This seems to be the curse of Florida. If you come on a Saturday there is usually a game of cricket happening in the fairway of hole 9 and someone grilling or playing catch next to the baskets of 1 and 2. This is a serious problem. This park also contains "florida hills", so kids will often be sprinting through the fairways and climbing on the baskets of the back 9. This is the only reason I knocked this course down from a 4, but I think that having a non-dedicated disc golf course is a serious detriment to a course's rating. I have had to go politely ask many kid's parents for my disc back.
-Climate. During the summer time the course floods really badly and the mosquitoes are brutal, even for Florida. The water hazards are made up of some of the most foul liquid you will ever experience (hole 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 all play by water) and it is often downhill from the basket, meaning a roll-a-way could mean the end of your disc. The reason I listed the water as a con is because I feel that it adds difficulty, but not in a skillful manner. The water is more frustrating than it is challenging, it is almost exclusively a result of a bad bounce.
-Fairways. Some of the holes don't have clearly defined fairways. Hole 11 is the prime offender, but 14 isn't much better either. You may say this isn't a con, but some of the holes make me feel like I'm just hucking it into the woods and hoping for the best, and I don't like that.
Other Thoughts: -$2 to get in!

I wish I could give this course a higher rating, but like many Florida courses, the other park traffic keeps this course from being a top tier course. I also wish they would do a better job of cleaning up some fairways and making them more clearly defined. I love this course but I just can't give it a four. I would highly recommend trying to go early in the morning on a weekday if you want to play. I'd also discourage you from going around holiday or celebration times, meaning end of the semester or any major holidays.

Hills and Bogs and Doglegs, Oh My!

1    5/24/2013   5/31/2013
Review By: jaymon1
Pros: Teepads, signage, overall design, landscape
Other Thoughts: Edward Medard offers an excellent Central Florida disc golf experience amidst a large, rural park set not too far from both Tampa and Orlando. Like most other courses in the area, the amenities on the course are nice, with good signs, one set of nice long concrete tee pads on almost every hole, and way finding aids where needed. What really sets this course apart from others in the region, however, is the landscape on the back nine - a run of very interesting holes playing up to, among, and out of a set of short but steep hills with (perhaps seasonal) water challenges in the low spots of these holes. The amenities, interesting landscape, and solid hole-by-hole variety add up to an excellent disc golf outing that is worth a road trip.

Edward Medard has a bit of a split personality. For the first eight holes it presents a typically interesting Florida outing; overall, each features a perfect tee pad, is mostly par 3 but on the longish side, is a good mix of open and more wooded, and has enough bend in the fairways to reward both long arms and touch games. Get off the fairway and the palmetto and salt bush will punish you. So a pretty cool course, on the higher end of those in the region. Then #9 plays across an open field, but the basket is set atop a 15-foot or so steep hill, back behind a sprawling live oak. Suddenly, there's a lot more pressure on the approach shot. Then the next eight holes play among these hills, mostly: Come out of the trees back downhill and back into the open; fully wooded holes, playing among the many live oaks; and shots from one hill, across water, to a basket on another hill. Among these holes are some of the most interesting and challenging basket placements I've seen this side of Chavez Ridge in LA. Take a run at the basket for par, miss by a little, and you could be rolling downhill into the water or the thicket and looking at a double, at best. I'd be interested to know if there is a single more steeply elevated basket in all of Florida than #16 at this course. The course finishes with a flat woods hole for #18, however, bringing you back to Florida reality.

I'm very glad I made the trip to Edward Medard Park and really look forward to returning. This is definitely the sort of course that will play better the better you get to know it. Tampa and Orlando disc golfers now have a great excuse to get out of the sprawl and into the country for a top-notch outing. Overall, I rate this course as Excellent, and well worth the effort of a road trip or going out of your way to play.

1    5/16/2013   5/23/2013
Review By: sneakytiki
Pros: Well maintained and signed. Very unique landscape in the woods with the tree roots and such. Fun to play, good balance of left/right open/wooded. Park is nice and would lend well to bringing the family out, grill up some food and enjoy a nice day.
Cons: I understand its more a geographical thing than something that can be controlled, but the course in late may had bugs everywhere. I was constantly swatting flies, mosquitoes, brushing spiders and webs off myself. In the back 9 there were some holes that had huge green ooze pits of some sort, some littered with trash. I skipped over a few holes for fear of loosing discs in the ooze pits. Those pits are probably dried up in other parts of the year.
Other Thoughts: While the wood carved posts showing the hole layout is a very nice touch and looks great, they are worse than most at depicting the scale of everything. I think early on taking them too seriously really confused me. I started walking the entirety of almost every hole before starting (luckily I was the only one)

Not your average FL dgc

1    3/20/2013   3/20/2013
Review By: Lucero 1
Pros: Unique terrain!
Concrete pads are wide and long.
Decent tee markers with basket location.
Signs with arrows to help you find the next tee box.
You can throw a wide range of shots here.

Cons: I can see where bugs may be an issue in warmer months.
If the course is wet, the back nine could be tough to play, due to the dirt/clay hills.
Other Thoughts: $2 to get in to the park was well worth it.
I played on a Wednesday morning and was the only player on the course. Since it was my first time playing here, I played it safe instead of just throwing and hoping I could find my disc, but it was still super fun.
As mentioned in other reviews, I felt like the front nine is longer and a bit more open, while the back nine is more wooded and hilly. I enjoyed he back nine more, but this is by far the coolest course I have played in my limited time in the sport.
There are garbage cans attached to some of the hole markers, yet there was some plastic water bottles, etc just thrown on the course. I picked them up so that he next players wouldn't have to see them. Clean up your trash, y'all!
From what I understand, they have "handicapped" tournaments here on Saturdays at 9:30am, so I may try to go down and try to throw in one - even though my score today was nothing to brag about. I felt good getting par on a lot of these holes!

Nice course

1    11/20/2012   11/21/2012
Review By: KimBrennan
This review was updated on 4/6/2013
Pros: Good variety in holes (not just left dog legs, or right dog legs, but different vegetation, elevation, trees, terrain.)

Good signage, including help leading to the next holes.

Cons: Other reviews have mentioned misquitoes. I'll mention red ants. Be careful where you walk, especially if you are wearing shorts. The red ants can sting, quite painfully.

Hole #5 is a blind (very blind) dog leg left. I lost a favorite disk into the Saw Palmetto, and I spent a long time hunting for it.

This is a multi use park, and the course is so new that the other park users are completely unaware of it, or disc golf protocol. I had problems with kids picking up my throws, using baskets as jungle gyms, throwing rocks at each other in the middle of the course, and being totally oblivious to the disc golfers.

Considering the length of the holes, I found the concrete pads to be a little short.
Other Thoughts: The Tee "signs" are neat. 4x4 posts, painting park brown, with a carved map of the hole. Very nice Accurate too.

The course is fairly decently long and holes are (for the most part) separate from each other with plenty of space in between (few chances of accidentally getting hit from some other golfers throws.)

I played in Nov, in fairly dry conditions (and not many misquitoes.)

While I liked the creative use of the coral ridge I'm not thrilled about the long term erosion issues this may cause. On the other paw, the other park users are almost certainly causing more erosion than the golfers will.

The rubber pads now mark the recreational (short) tees. I only played from the concrete pads.

There is an entrance fee for vehicles coming into the park. Walk-ins are free (not that walking in is going to happen all that often.)

Technical Diversity

1    11/18/2012   11/18/2012
Review By: davmer2303
This review was updated on 2/13/2013
Pros: This course really does have a little bit of everything! The first two holes allow you to pull out your drivers. The next couple bring you back through the scrub palmetto. And five is truly a clever horseshoe shape jungle! My advice is a big high hyzer, but a tomahawk could be effective as well. The course then travels through some grassy scrub through 8 and then nine allows a big open drive to an elevated basket perched on a cliff! yes!! this is Florida! After that the back nine is series of tight wooded holes containing water, ravines and precarious pin placements.
You will get better on this course or else. Many holes require an approach to stop on a small dinner plate or be ejected down the side of the ravine. On the back nine there is often murky water at the bottom so be careful. There is a lot of satisfaction to be had by making a clever shot through the narrow openings. I do want to point out, that a lot of the water areas look like they will dry up as winter advances. And, this time of year, the mosquitoes aren't around, so its a nice time to play...
Cons: There is really nothing bad here. The signs are great. There are benches everywhere, and the course flows smoothly. Maybe a couple more slightly open holes would break up the technical back nine, but honestly I loved the strategy.
Other Thoughts: This is really a wonderful, cerebral course. And the landscape on the back nine will cover your workout for the day! You are constantly climbing small steep hills, and dealing with tricky pin positions. As a side note, I noticed that the mando on 11 was removed. I'm not sure if this was on purpose, but whatever the case, there is the potential for some wild lines on 11 now! Anyway, this course is wonderful for your putters, mids, and fairway drivers. The big drivers will be left out on the back. But that's ok, as the shotmaking is peerless. Really a great experience!

Great course well maintained

1    10/24/2012   10/28/2012
Review By: GatorBait
Pros: Front 9 is good to get you warmed up. Variety of difficulty levels. Course is well maintained and has concrete tee pads.
Cons: Mosquitoes are relentless...they will bite through your clothes, bring plenty of bug spray. Lots of water on this course and some holes are very difficult....over shoot, disc lost, under shoot, disc lost....
Other Thoughts: Course is maintained by a local handicapped group. Beautiful and you can tell they appreciate this course.

My favorite course

5+    9/9/2012   9/10/2012
Review By: WAR813
Pros: + Awesome elevation changes

+ Inside of a great park with lots of other activities (Fishing, camping, picnics, trails, kayak/canoe rentals)

+ Cheap to play ( $2.00 per car per day )

+ Hole diversity ( the front nine are relatively open while the back nine are shaded under big oaks )

+ Engraved and informative wooden tees signs

+ Gateway baskets ( the best I've yet to play with )

+ Concrete tee pads ( Except for 13 where a run up really isn't necessary )
Cons: + Depending on the rain you can't play 2, 7, or 8 without getting your feet wet.
Other Thoughts: + Bring bug spray