Plant City, FL
Edward Medard Park Share
Uploaded By: Osotogari Hole #1 (Taken 6/2011)

< Prev 1 2 3
Enchanting back 9

1    12/6/2016   12/6/2016
Review By: wellsbranch250
Pros: (3.669 Rating) A challenging par 54 with unique natural terrain.
- UNIQUENESS - Although an all par 3, the course offers just about all the shot layout elements. There is some elevation and water elements in play. The layout also features pocket shots, window shots, tunnel fairways, a 90 degree par 3 bender, skip plays and bomb it opportunities for those that max out at 400. But, what I found most unique about Medard, was the terrain on the back 9. This part of the course plays thru an area called so aptly named "Sacred Hills"
- ELEVATION - A nice amount of elevation changes for a South Florida course. A few up shots and a few down shots. However, the max elevation change on any one hole is about 20 feet, so many parts of the country would consider this course flat.
- SHOT SELECTION - I probably played 70% backhand and the rest flicks. Most drives need to be well thought out and placed, especially on the holes thru the Sacred Hills.
- CHALLENGING - One of the more challenging courses I've played. Holes 12-15 plays thru a mixture of swamps and mounds, which is a disc golf terrain I've never seen before. Missing your shot on these holes can easily end up water OB and likely also a lost disk. Be wary of hole 13, this temping 150 foot ace run of a basket is on a ridge and has water on 3 sides, right, front and back.
- CHARACTER - There is seating and adequate hole signage throughout the course. Most of the tees are shaded well and there are two tees for pros and ams at several the holes. There's a good amount of trash cans and a few bag holders. There is a practice basket and picnic table by #1 as well.
- TEE PADS - Adequately sized concrete tee pads that are in good shape. There should be no footing issues on a typical day, except 13, which appears to be a temporary tee.
- SPACING - Pretty good, There's really no shot of ending up in another fairway. Tees are generally separated well from the prior baskets but not annoyingly far, except for the journey between 12 to 13 which backtracks a bit.
- NATURAL BEAUTY - The raw beauty was well above average. Most courses I've played it's just an afterthought... not here. Several of holes run thru a part of the park called the before mentioned Sacred Hills, which is quite an enchanting backdrop I must say.
Cons: Just one moderate issue about Medard and a few ticky tack things.
- LOST DISC OPPS - If you're the type of player that likes to keep their discs (I fall in this category) you're going to be sweating bullets on holes 12-15. Some of nastiest swamp water calls its home here on these holes. A player will have to be pro like accurate to avoid the trees on 14. A shot that misses an 8' wide lane 200 feet down fairway could very likely smack a tree, and then its 50/50 whether it falls on dry land or into swamp water.
- OVERGROWTH - In addition to the swamp water, the overgrowth is quite extensive through-out. Although I didn't lose a disc in the overgrowth, I did however spend significant time searching.
- TIME PLAY - Course is not a quick play for a par 54. Plan to be here 2 1/2 hours or more for a group of 4 to complete 18 holes.
- SKILL LEVEL FRIENDLY - This is not a beginners course. The odds of losing a disc here is exceedingly higher than normal. Beginners best to stick to holes 1-9 or plan to go home empty handed.
- PAY TO PLAY - $2 for your vehicle to enter. I however, would gladly pay this numerous times if I lived nearby.
Other Thoughts: Having played just about all the courses in the Tampa Bay region, I can say that this is definitely one of the better ones. Although not my personal favorite, it is tops for several friends of mine. For out area players, you should definitely consider playing this course. Its right up there with the other big 4 courses (Taylor, Picnic, Cliff and Cypress)

Superb

1    1/8/2016   1/8/2016
Review By: adamsm
Pros: Simply beautifully. Nice mix between open big throws and narrow tunnel shots. Very cool setting and some really challenging basket placements.
Cons: It is a little bit hard to get to, I guess depending on where you start.
Good chance you lose a disc.
Other Thoughts: This was a fantastic course that was very challenging.

Home Course

5+    5/3/2015   5/18/2015
Review By: JillianME
Pros: I learned Disc Golf on this course and we call it "Home Course" because it's the closest to Lakeland FL. It's a challenging course and you're sure to get a work out! I am usually over par quite a bit on this course where as I'm closer to par on other courses.
Cons: Prepare for Florida swamp land at its finest! The front 9 have an open fairway plan whereas the back 9 are swampy and wet. Bring bug spray! Bring floaters! If the area has had a good rain recently, prepare for at least 3 holes to be underwater (2, 7, 8)
Other Thoughts: This is one of the hardest courses I have ever played if you are up for the elements and a good challenging course. . .this is the one for you!

hello standing water

1    3/5/2015   3/12/2015
Review By: blazerico
Pros: don't let the hole length fool you, this place is challenging. (or should i say it is challenging when there is water all over the place). the hills and the land in general are put to good use and require a variety of shots to score well.
Cons: the water...the nasty, swampy, steal-your-disc water may not be all that deep but it sure has a way of holding on to your plastic and not letting it go without extensive search and rescue. I was there mid-week, so i didn't have to deal with any non-disc traffic.
Other Thoughts: 12-15 can be scary if you value the discs you are throwing, so you can a) bring discs you don't care about b) search for your plastic or c) make the shots! I made some and had others roll into the water and spent 1/2 hour looking for one on #11 in 6 inches of water. If it were dry when I played there, I'd probably only give it a three because it wouldn't have been as intense

Awesome Except....

2-4    3/1/2015   3/1/2015
Review By: freddysez
This review was updated on 3/2/2015
Pros: The course has great flow utilizing placement, strategic basket positioning, and plenty of trees to navigate thru while blending in the perfect balance of length and smart planning on your approaches. To me the signature holes are 5 which is a nasty dog leg left in some thick brush (grab a spotter), and 9 and 16 which both have elevated tee baskets that can be punishing.
Cons: Hole 14 sucks the life out of the course and is just plain stupid and unenjoyable. Even the proest of pros should admit the hole is a joke.
Other Thoughts: Just be careful as the park is busy with people not paying attention or have a clue what disc golf is and the course hosts shotgun tourneys on Sundays.

Not a Fan

1    1/16/2015   1/16/2015
Review By: sasquach
Pros: Enjoyed the elevated basket positions on 9, 12, and 16. You don't see alot of that around here. Hole 5 was intresting and fun placement shot hole.
Cons: Let's be honest. For the vast majority of players 13, 14, and 15 are not golf holes. They are throw your disc into the water and slime filled mining pit holes. 7, and 8 were totally flooded and unplayable when I was there.
Other Thoughts: This course is not cart friendly. Leave them at home and bring your bag.
I could not bring myself to play a second round, and that is the first time that has happened on a road trip.

WOW

1    7/18/2014   8/8/2014
Review By: boursin
Pros: fantastic course with elevation (yes I said it elevation) open shots and tight shots, hyzers and anhyzers. This course is for people who know how to throw, but beginners do not be alarmed.Beginners may want to bring a couple of extra discs because you can easily lose a few. the back nine tests your placement skills and course management.Front nine is fairly open and easy with a good variety of shots. Number 5 is very interesting.
Cons: very few to speak of I believe it is number 14 that you throw onto a path and if not you will wind up in the muck and mire and you will not find your disc.
Other Thoughts: Great course and a ton of fun to play. When you get to nine this is a hole that you throw through an open field to an elevated pin.If you do not make a good second upshot you can be in a bunch of trouble when we played there were about 15 young ladies practicing yoga OMG what a site :) this is a fantastic course the $2 is well worth it. When we played the park closed at 7pm and the man at the entrance siad 7pm sharp and if you are not gone you will get locked in. I am not sure how true this is but beware.

From good to bad.

1    10/13/2013   10/13/2013
Review By: Charbachuk
Pros: - Course is located inside of Edward Medard Park; a very large park in central Florida.
- Brand new, concrete Tee-Pads.
- Tee-signs are very nice, hand carved wooden posts with a hole profile and distance.
- Front 9 is one of the nicest, and most challenging 9 holes in Florida.
- Park offers an entire outdoor Florida type experience.
- Course utilizes the space about as well as it could.
Cons: - The entire back 9; two things to note on the back 9. 1.) There are very little fairways, most of the holes are jammed into a small section of woods and play either from tee-pad to basket or down a glorified pathway. 2.) John E. McCray is a crazy man. The entire course is extremely difficult, and could only be created by one of the greatest players in disc golf history.
- The bugs on this course are insane; I had a mosquito the size of my thumb bite me through my shirt.
- No true signature hole, and definitely no true signature finishing hole.
Other Thoughts: - This is a nice course for the space that it is built on; really good use of space.
- Definitely one of the harder courses in the area, each hole is a totally new experience and challenge.

- If you enjoy a challenge then this is a destination course for sure, if not, then don't take a day trip for this one.

I Almost Loved It

1    9/6/2013   9/9/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: This course got me at the tee signs. A wooden pole. A map of the hole carved and painted onto it. Very accurately, I might add. I've seen more informative signs but I prefer these to any others that I've encountered.

Going forward, I loved the course through twelve or so holes. I was thinking in my head, "this is a four star course." The holes were occasionally close to other parts of the park, but they were constructed so as not to be an issue.

For the most part the holes were both challenging and fair and I would love to have another shot a bunch of them. It starts out with a few open holes, that require some distance. Then it goes into the woods. Now those are some fun holes, with danger and high rewards. Especially five. The U shaped hole. I could see a bunch of different ways to play that. I also loved nine. You exit the woods to bomb one across a field, trying to place your shot to give access to the nook, where the basket lies on a steep hill. The best part: from the tee, there are two nooks which could possibly hold the basket. I don't even want to spoil because it was fun to play it unsure.

The flow is also fantastic. One hole transitions seamlessly to the next. Into the woods. Out of the woods. Under a tree. Around a sharp and short dogleg to the right. Even when you do have to backtrack from eleven to twelve, there is a nice trail carved outside of the fairway. Going on the last few holes, I was as happy as could be.
Cons: However, at around thirteen, the course design takes a turn for the worse. Some of the holes just seem arbitrary. I think its fourteen that offers no real path to the basket that doesn't mean you have a good shot of a tree knocking you into brackish water. (Although it did allow me to successfully try out my new retriever)

Sixteen uses the same trick that I liked on nine, with the open shot leading to the basket tucked on a ledge but to a far lesser effect.

And then it fizzles on seventeen and eighteen, two of the blandest holes on the course. There is something to said for finishing strong. That doesn't happen here, which is sad because of the expectations the first 2/3 of the course had built up in my mind.

To be fair, a couple of those holes might play better when the waters lower, but that doesn't fix the end problem. Finish with one more hole of the caliber of 5-8 and Medard is a gem.

If only it were a dedicated park!

5+    5/5/2013   7/10/2013
Review By: tampabay
Pros: -Hills! This is the only Florida course I've played that actually has "hills", by that I do mean Florida hills. It adds a lot of fun to a very flat state.
-Balance. It has left finishing (1,2,5,10,15,16), right finishing (6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 18) and straight (3,4,12,13,14,17) finishing shots, 14 and 17 both finish a little right but have a long straight fairway. Such a good balance of shots.
-Distance. This course has hard distance, not long distance. By that I mean most of the distance shots have a catch, except for hole 9 and 16 which are both a blast over an open field, yet the basket it still tucked under a tree at the end.
-Variety. This course has open shots, wooded shots, blind shots, water shots, it has it all.
-Challenge. This course is a monster. I would say its one of the 5 most difficult courses in Florida, especially if you don't know the "local shots", meaning the high % routes that might not be obvious.
-Teepads/Signs. Very good shape. Most of the holes have benches and trashcans as well.
Cons: -Other park traffic. This seems to be the curse of Florida. If you come on a Saturday there is usually a game of cricket happening in the fairway of hole 9 and someone grilling or playing catch next to the baskets of 1 and 2. This is a serious problem. This park also contains "florida hills", so kids will often be sprinting through the fairways and climbing on the baskets of the back 9. This is the only reason I knocked this course down from a 4, but I think that having a non-dedicated disc golf course is a serious detriment to a course's rating. I have had to go politely ask many kid's parents for my disc back.
-Climate. During the summer time the course floods really badly and the mosquitoes are brutal, even for Florida. The water hazards are made up of some of the most foul liquid you will ever experience (hole 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 all play by water) and it is often downhill from the basket, meaning a roll-a-way could mean the end of your disc. The reason I listed the water as a con is because I feel that it adds difficulty, but not in a skillful manner. The water is more frustrating than it is challenging, it is almost exclusively a result of a bad bounce.
-Fairways. Some of the holes don't have clearly defined fairways. Hole 11 is the prime offender, but 14 isn't much better either. You may say this isn't a con, but some of the holes make me feel like I'm just hucking it into the woods and hoping for the best, and I don't like that.
Other Thoughts: -$2 to get in!

I wish I could give this course a higher rating, but like many Florida courses, the other park traffic keeps this course from being a top tier course. I also wish they would do a better job of cleaning up some fairways and making them more clearly defined. I love this course but I just can't give it a four. I would highly recommend trying to go early in the morning on a weekday if you want to play. I'd also discourage you from going around holiday or celebration times, meaning end of the semester or any major holidays.

< Prev 1 2 3