Plant City, FL
Edward Medard Park Share
Uploaded By: Osotogari Hole #7 (Taken 6/2011)

1 2 Next >
 My favorite course

5+    9/9/2012   9/10/2012
Review By: WAR813
Pros: + Awesome elevation changes

+ Inside of a great park with lots of other activities (Fishing, camping, picnics, trails, kayak/canoe rentals)

+ Cheap to play ( $2.00 per car per day )

+ Hole diversity ( the front nine are relatively open while the back nine are shaded under big oaks )

+ Engraved and informative wooden tees signs

+ Gateway baskets ( the best I've yet to play with )

+ Concrete tee pads ( Except for 13 where a run up really isn't necessary )
Cons: + Depending on the rain you can't play 2, 7, or 8 without getting your feet wet.
Other Thoughts: + Bring bug spray

Lots of potential

1    7/6/2012   7/20/2012
Review By: v0nn3gut
Pros: Back 9 is really cool, lots of elevation changes, cool trees set in eroding clay create some dramatic (for Florida) holes. Set in a really nice park that I'm happy to pay $2 to.
Cons: Mosquitos are on steroids and the front 9 was rather boring. Some drainage issues (mud, standing water). Undergrowth is super thick in spots, so much so that I lost my tie-died JLS (if you find it I'll drive out to you and give you $5 for it, that disc ruled).
Other Thoughts: I want to play it again in the winter. Honestly it's quite a hike to play this course (both on foot while you're there and by car to get there) and it's too damn hot in the summer.

Use spotters. Some holes you can't see where you're throwing to at all...

"Are you sure this is Florida?"

1    7/2/2012   7/4/2012
Review By: nitron2097
Pros: I'll admit, this course was a little above my skill level. That said, my friend and I had a total blast playing this course!

The layout was spacious on the front nine, with quite a few grip 'n rip opportunities (#1, #2, and #9 especially). Don't think you'll have it easy after #1 and #2; though...

Hole 5 is totally gnarly! You have to either tomahawk over the trees on the left to a totally blind basket (despite what the tee sign says, you can't drive long and double back) or drive short and wide right to set up your second, and the saw palmetto is thick. Fun hole.

All the baskets and tees are brand new and in perfect shape. These Titan baskets are the best I've thrown at.

Once you throw your drive on Hole 9... you leave Florida. The hills in this park were perfectly utilized on the back nine... uphill shots, wooded shots, poke 'n hope shots, downhill shots, and blind shots. I'd think even seasoned players might find the back nine rough.

The lines on some of the holes are very tricky and really present risk vs. reward opportunities. I say this is a pro because after playing some of these real tight, wooded holes, I learned a lot about decision making and playing it safe.

#10 through #15 might be the toughest stretch of holes in the Tampa Bay area. The sheer drops on these holes really make you stop and think. I would make sure you have a drop and stop putter for all of these holes.

The disc golf course is mostly segregated from the rest of the park, so the only pedestrians are occasional hikers.

Like other reviewers, I consider the $2 entry fee a plus for various reasons. This is a beautiful park and is extremely well maintained. I didn't see a single piece of trash in the entire park.

We went on a weekday and there was one other group on the entire course. Very nature-y and nice and quiet.

Large playground and very clean restrooms close to the first tee (but go before you throw, because a round here takes a while).
Cons: The only complaint I would have is that some of the lower lying areas of the park seem susceptible to flooding. The tee for #2 was very wet and the fairways for #7 and #8 were wet and muddy. This isn't really the parks fault and not a fault in the design, but it does stink when you can't play a hole due to course conditions.

The mosquitoes are an issue, especially on the back nine. Bring some strong Off with you.

Some of the underbrush on the back nine is also extremely thick, so long pants might not be a bad idea, despite the heat. There are also lots of spiders in the undergrowth, so be careful when retrieving discs.

One big issue I had on the back nine was hanging twigs and limbs. The ceilings are low on some shots and you just can't see every single little twig hanging down from up there. I got pwned on a couple of short shots by tiny little limbs. Not really a true con as it adds to the difficulty and I'm all about natural hazards.

The course doesn't come back to the parking lot at all until you finish. Not a problem for me, but others might find this quirky.
Other Thoughts: Spotters here are extremely helpful, especially on the back nine. If you have time and a friend with you, go out and spot each others throws. I'm sure my buddy and I would have lost discs if we didn't do this.

Bug spray, bug spray, bug spray... And a lot of water; a round here takes a while.

If you're not into climbing and hiking, this course may not be for you. I'm 26 and in great shape and this course really took it out of me.
--------------------------
Some hole notes:

#5 - Gnarly. Have a spotter go ahead on this one. Your tee shot is either short and right or totally blind over thick brush right at the basket.

#7, #8 - These fairways seem like they get mucky right after rain.

#9 - Your long drive contest hole. Nothing in the fairway - which is the size of a football field - at all.

#11 - Poke 'n hope. This is the thickest fairway I've ever thrown.

#13 - Do not... DO NOT... overshoot this hole. There's a thirty foot drop into a soggy ravine ten feet behind the basket.

#14 - Ed Medard's signature hole. The basket is on a high bank and there was water all along the left and a ravine down the right. The water was totally rank when we were there, and the mud on the bank is like ice. Be careful on this one.

The other holes are pretty straightforward.

I loved this course. Beginners might find it frustrating, but it will make you a better player. It's all about course management here. The $2 entry is totally worth it, and I'd rank this as the second best course in Tampa Bay behind Taylor (yeah, I'm biased... that's home base for me!). It's worth the drive from Pinellas and a great visit if you're in the area.

The hills are alive!

2-4    10/26/2012   4/17/2012
Review By: RussMB
This review was updated on 1/21/2013
Pros: -Concrete Tee's are now installed with nicely crafted wooden posts with distance with maps carved into the post and benches at some of the teepads. (I noticed them at most, but I don't remember how many tee's had benches) It gives the tee area a very nice woodsy look! Great work on the tee posts! Very Nice craftsmanship!
-Gateway Baskets, of which I'm really starting to be a fan of!
-Located in a State Park, ($2 entry fee. Cash only)
-You can get a map and scorecard at the pay station. Guy in the station said they are working on getting some nicer maps made.
-The hills and terrain give a healthy risk/reward
-Fairly easy navigation, though a map will come in handy on the back 9
-Back 9 is spectacular for the scenery. These tall hills have baskets on the edge of a tall drop off.
-Front 9 is mainly flat, but the back 9 is very rugged and hilly. (A nice surprise for Florida)
-The course is segregated from most of the activities.*
-It's 18 holes out and back to the parking lot.
-rubber mats appear to be laid out for alt teepad locations. *There isn't any distance for these, and some may have been moved.
-Front 9 is beginner friendly, but the back 9 could become frustrating even to a seasoned player.
-The water on 14 was dried up when I played here. (Didn't even know there was a water hole till after I played here. Florida is very dry right now)
-The baskets on the hills are all about placement. If you don't land flat, you risk an approach overshooting a hill, rolling down the hill, or trying to play an upshot from the side/bottom of a steep embankment. Placement is crucial.
FWIW
-The state park looks like it would be a great destination by itself
-Playground near, but separated from the course. If you have kids, then one spouse could take the kids to the playground while the other plays DG.
-Fishing and Camping on site.
Cons: -*The course is segregated from the rest of the park, but don't be surprised to run into someone taking in the beauty of the park itself, or just wandering around. There was a group hanging out near one of the baskets.
-Some baskets are hard to locate, and you'll have to look for them before you throw. Not a serious issue, and it only happened a two or three times for me.
-Mosquitos started in on me around hole 11, so bugs could be an issue.
-Busy weekends! I played here on a Saturday, and there was a party that took up the whole first fairway, a baseball and soccer games happening on hole 9.
-Really needs some "Watch out for flying discs" signs. When this place is busy, the back 9 can be full of People and kids running around. As much as I want to say "It's a disc golf course, watch out", It is a very cool area to explore.
Other Thoughts: I had an absolute blast here! The hilly area in- the woods was spectacular! You'll find a variety of different holes that you'll have to work different lines. Whether it's an open field, narrow woods, or trying to land square on top of a steep hill, you will find yourself using different shots for different holes. Medard is unique in that most of the courses in the area are flat. Playing these unique hills at Medard was a pleasant and fun surprise. I don't want to jump to conclusions, but given the location of the old rubber mat teepads, they may be considering adding some more teepad locations. (Pure speculation) I wouldn't be surprised if there is more work planned for the future at this course.

You will have to do some hill climbing, and you will be in the brush. So consider your footwear, but you may be alright with shorts. There are some thorny areas, and they can tear up your legs. It's about 10 miles off of 75, but not hard to find. There are nearby restaurants and a Race Track gas station near the Hopewell/Turkey Creek intersection.

The Icing on my cake!

1    3/28/2012   4/1/2012
Review By: numbernine
Pros: I love this course. Of the three courses that I played in my time in Tampa, this was my second favorite by THAT much. So close. It really is a neat course.

First, I love the elevation changes. The use of the park and the way that it rolls up and down is so ridiculous and different from every other park I played this week. Punishing, roll away greens that spank you hard if you miss a putt. Brutal, deep valleys full of thick brush, should you decide to throw a wayward drive. Holes that run from teepad to basket on a ridgeline that can''t be more than 10 foot wide, and has to be 15-20 drop off on each side. Brutal, Hard. and amazing! You won't get this type of disc golf in the surrounding area. Period.

Shot variety is also different here. There are a couple longer holes that I didn't see at the other courses. Lots of tech stuff, for sure, but some longer holes that still demand accuracy. Good anhyzers, hyzers, overhand shots and rollers available all over this course!

Let me say this, and I know it's not popular throughout the community, but I see the fact that it costs two dollars to get in to the park as a plus. It keeps out a lot of the usual undesirables and it feels like they are really keeping the maintenance up on the course and park with this money.

Navigation was super easy on this course and it flowed very well. I never got lost one time, and everything seemed to roll right into the next hole. Even if you got a little turned around, there are signs by the pads that are very easy to see.

The pads were nice. Long, wide enough pads made of concrete. I think that these are pretty new, but however old they are, they are great.

The signs are adequate. Not amazing, but good enough. Again, Taylor Park is the gold standard in signs, but if you have a rough map of the hole, distance and some other info; i works for me.

The park is super clean. I saw no trash. At all.

Most of the holes have benches by the tee pad. I don't remember if there were trash cans or not, but it occurs to me that there were.
Cons: I feel like I am nitpicking here, and I probably am. But there were a LOT of civilians in the way when I played. Especially when I got around to the back by the rest of the park. Loads of people darting in and out by the baskets and fairways.

Florida thorn bushes REALLY hurt!
Other Thoughts: I am rating this course a solid 4. I think that to get to 5 star status, this course needs multiple tee pads, and pin locations for every hole. I also think that the signs could be upgraded. Again, I know I am picking nits here...but that's my job as a reviewer right?

Oh, I also aced number 3 (288, straight away, low ceiling.) with an anode! but I was by myself. soooo...no count ace is no count. :(

Great course. So go play it!

ed medard

1    9/1/2011   1/8/2012
Review By: tedy4444
Pros: this course is built for the experienced player looking for a real challenge. pros would find some chalenge on this course. very fun!
Cons: there are a few holes with water that you cant see water until its too late.
Other Thoughts: there is a fee per car toget in but it is worth a few bucks for sure

New Year. New Course!

1    1/1/2012   1/7/2012
Review By: drewzer
Pros: This course is a nice change of pace from the other Bay Area DGC's. Mainly the elevation, albiet mild, on some of the holes. A good variety of shots are required on most holes. Really liked the back-9. Mostly woods. It was pretty tough first time around. 16 was brutal, one of the several elevated baskets, but also rewarding with some birdie ops @12,13,15, 17 & 18 . The front 9 is just as nice, but a spotter might be a wise choice on hole 5 (palmetto clusters). Had the luck of playing my 2 rounds with some locals. They were very informative. The course is relatively easy to follow, but without their course insight, I surely would of lost a disc or two. Thanks guys! Park is clean. Signage good. Restrooms nearby. Very low background noise. Almost serene-like the morning I played.
Cons: The tee-pads are rubber-type mats, and can be a little slippery w/the early morning dew.
The course is fairly new, so I'm not going to pick at things that will eventually be resolved over time. ie: Metto's, skewel, etc...
Other Thoughts: Overall I had fun at this course. It's both challenging and rewarding. I will surely be back. Thanks again, Dusty, Todd, and Jason.

Must Play Course in Tampa Area!

1    8/13/2011   8/13/2011
Review By: thrembo
This review was updated on 8/12/2014
Pros: + Restrooms, pavillions, picnic tables, and playground by hole 1.

+ Interesting and well designed, for the most part.

+ Very scenic, woods, hills, etc.

+ The Gateway baskets are spectacular.

+ Nice tee signs, and trail blazer signs.

+ Extremely clean park and course. There were an army of people out there picking up what little trash was in the park and on the course, while we were there.

+ Friendly and knowledgeable park staff, and very friendly locals.

+ Fun and challenging course with a lot of shot varieties.

+ Only $2.00 for a day pass. Well worth it for a course like this!

+ Plenty of room for expansion.
Cons: Not alot of cons for this course. The mosqitos can be brutal at certain times of the year.

Other Thoughts: This course has the potential to be one of the best Tampa area courses, perhaps even one of the best in Florida!

I would not recommend this course to beginners. It is one of the longer courses in the area, and a little rough around the edges.

Anyone of at least intermediate level of skill will have a blast here, and I would consider it a must play for the Tampa area.

It gets very hot/humid down here in the summer, so bring lots of fluids.

GREAT COURSE

5+    6/27/2011   7/1/2011
Review By: latitudeDG
Pros: Offers sum challanging holes that are great for left and right handed players. The new signs being put it are very nice... No water hazards to loose a disc but plenty of bush and trees.... 1 water hazard but not big will dry up if doesnt rain lol.... no mando on course but doesnt really need it, not to many ways to go for sum holes. sum short holes that are acually still challanging and sum holes longer that are just as challanging. Elevation in really awsome especially for a Central FL course, offers even more challanges
Cons: Concrete pads not down yet but they will be soon i found out level with ground and they will b like Cliff stevens pads 3ft wide and like 10ft long i believe..
Other Thoughts: not much to do to acually improve the course, they keep it maintained well and kepted up, great course to play if u in or out of the area, if visiting, FL u should deffinately try to make it..... you will b happy...

Good course, unique topography

1    6/5/2011   6/6/2011
Review By: denny ritner
This review was updated on 6/28/2011
Pros: The course provides a very solid blue-level challenge with a good variety of distances and shot shapes. I'd guess that an even par (54) round will be rated around 930-950. Some of the holes are quite unique in their shapes and several of the baskets are perched near drop-off's making for dynamic putting situations. The course combines a good balance of power and finesse.

About half the course has a nice tree canopy for sun relief and the hilly area has very pretty, unique terrain. The course is situated in a very nice, large county park with other amenities.

For a brand new course, the schule is pretty light and it won't take very long to get the course completely broken in. The course is not too difficult for beginners, yet still offers sufficient challenge for advanced players as well. The fun factor is high and the course should become quite popular.
Cons: The course does not loop back to the parking lot after the front nine.

Hole 5 provides a very unique required flight that's either a monster spike-hyzer or a high lefty turnover-stall shot. The downside is that the shot is thrown blind over tall trees and a large area of thick palmettos, making for difficulty finding discs.

Hole 11 is a quirky 350 footer with a 90 degree bend halfway down. The ideal tee shot is to dump a little hyzer that finishes close to hole 12's tee pad and then make the turn. I think a shift of that tee box, coupled with a minor bit of clearing could produce a more direct route that was less quirky and provided a better buffer on hole 12.

Hole 14's tee pad is a bit close to hole 13 and the hole is a major poke-n-pray.

Hole 16 requires a long shot straight down a park road that comes back in bounds around the 320 foot mark.
Other Thoughts: At present, there are no tee signs, benches, trash cans and the pads are slick rubber. I did not take points off for this as I believe that work is continuing and will be completed soon.

The course is easy to navigate IF you have a map. Make sure to ask for one at the park entrance.

Don't be a dirty discer, leave the course cleaner than the way you found it.

1 2 Next >