Plant City, FL
Edward Medard Park Share
Uploaded By: Osotogari Hole #14 (Taken 6/2011)
Hole #14 Mid-Fairway

< Prev 1 2 3
 Home Course

5+    5/3/2015   5/18/2015
Review By: JillianME
Pros: I learned Disc Golf on this course and we call it "Home Course" because it's the closest to Lakeland FL. It's a challenging course and you're sure to get a work out! I am usually over par quite a bit on this course where as I'm closer to par on other courses.
Cons: Prepare for Florida swamp land at its finest! The front 9 have an open fairway plan whereas the back 9 are swampy and wet. Bring bug spray! Bring floaters! If the area has had a good rain recently, prepare for at least 3 holes to be underwater (2, 7, 8)
Other Thoughts: This is one of the hardest courses I have ever played if you are up for the elements and a good challenging course. . .this is the one for you!

hello standing water

1    3/5/2015   3/12/2015
Review By: blazerico
Pros: don't let the hole length fool you, this place is challenging. (or should i say it is challenging when there is water all over the place). the hills and the land in general are put to good use and require a variety of shots to score well.
Cons: the water...the nasty, swampy, steal-your-disc water may not be all that deep but it sure has a way of holding on to your plastic and not letting it go without extensive search and rescue. I was there mid-week, so i didn't have to deal with any non-disc traffic.
Other Thoughts: 12-15 can be scary if you value the discs you are throwing, so you can a) bring discs you don't care about b) search for your plastic or c) make the shots! I made some and had others roll into the water and spent 1/2 hour looking for one on #11 in 6 inches of water. If it were dry when I played there, I'd probably only give it a three because it wouldn't have been as intense

Awesome Except....

2-4    3/1/2015   3/1/2015
Review By: freddysez
This review was updated on 3/2/2015
Pros: The course has great flow utilizing placement, strategic basket positioning, and plenty of trees to navigate thru while blending in the perfect balance of length and smart planning on your approaches. To me the signature holes are 5 which is a nasty dog leg left in some thick brush (grab a spotter), and 9 and 16 which both have elevated tee baskets that can be punishing.
Cons: Hole 14 sucks the life out of the course and is just plain stupid and unenjoyable. Even the proest of pros should admit the hole is a joke.
Other Thoughts: Just be careful as the park is busy with people not paying attention or have a clue what disc golf is and the course hosts shotgun tourneys on Sundays.

Not a Fan

1    1/16/2015   1/16/2015
Review By: sasquach
Pros: Enjoyed the elevated basket positions on 9, 12, and 16. You don't see alot of that around here. Hole 5 was intresting and fun placement shot hole.
Cons: Let's be honest. For the vast majority of players 13, 14, and 15 are not golf holes. They are throw your disc into the water and slime filled mining pit holes. 7, and 8 were totally flooded and unplayable when I was there.
Other Thoughts: This course is not cart friendly. Leave them at home and bring your bag.
I could not bring myself to play a second round, and that is the first time that has happened on a road trip.

1    7/18/2014   8/8/2014
Review By: boursin
Pros: fantastic course with elevation (yes I said it elevation) open shots and tight shots, hyzers and anhyzers. This course is for people who know how to throw, but beginners do not be alarmed.Beginners may want to bring a couple of extra discs because you can easily lose a few. the back nine tests your placement skills and course management.Front nine is fairly open and easy with a good variety of shots. Number 5 is very interesting.
Cons: very few to speak of I believe it is number 14 that you throw onto a path and if not you will wind up in the muck and mire and you will not find your disc.
Other Thoughts: Great course and a ton of fun to play. When you get to nine this is a hole that you throw through an open field to an elevated pin.If you do not make a good second upshot you can be in a bunch of trouble when we played there were about 15 young ladies practicing yoga OMG what a site :) this is a fantastic course the $2 is well worth it. When we played the park closed at 7pm and the man at the entrance siad 7pm sharp and if you are not gone you will get locked in. I am not sure how true this is but beware.

From good to bad.

1    10/13/2013   10/13/2013
Review By: Charbachuk
Pros: - Course is located inside of Edward Medard Park; a very large park in central Florida.
- Brand new, concrete Tee-Pads.
- Tee-signs are very nice, hand carved wooden posts with a hole profile and distance.
- Front 9 is one of the nicest, and most challenging 9 holes in Florida.
- Park offers an entire outdoor Florida type experience.
- Course utilizes the space about as well as it could.
Cons: - The entire back 9; two things to note on the back 9. 1.) There are very little fairways, most of the holes are jammed into a small section of woods and play either from tee-pad to basket or down a glorified pathway. 2.) John E. McCray is a crazy man. The entire course is extremely difficult, and could only be created by one of the greatest players in disc golf history.
- The bugs on this course are insane; I had a mosquito the size of my thumb bite me through my shirt.
- No true signature hole, and definitely no true signature finishing hole.
Other Thoughts: - This is a nice course for the space that it is built on; really good use of space.
- Definitely one of the harder courses in the area, each hole is a totally new experience and challenge.

- If you enjoy a challenge then this is a destination course for sure, if not, then don't take a day trip for this one.

I Almost Loved It

1    9/6/2013   9/9/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: This course got me at the tee signs. A wooden pole. A map of the hole carved and painted onto it. Very accurately, I might add. I've seen more informative signs but I prefer these to any others that I've encountered.

Going forward, I loved the course through twelve or so holes. I was thinking in my head, "this is a four star course." The holes were occasionally close to other parts of the park, but they were constructed so as not to be an issue.

For the most part the holes were both challenging and fair and I would love to have another shot a bunch of them. It starts out with a few open holes, that require some distance. Then it goes into the woods. Now those are some fun holes, with danger and high rewards. Especially five. The U shaped hole. I could see a bunch of different ways to play that. I also loved nine. You exit the woods to bomb one across a field, trying to place your shot to give access to the nook, where the basket lies on a steep hill. The best part: from the tee, there are two nooks which could possibly hold the basket. I don't even want to spoil because it was fun to play it unsure.

The flow is also fantastic. One hole transitions seamlessly to the next. Into the woods. Out of the woods. Under a tree. Around a sharp and short dogleg to the right. Even when you do have to backtrack from eleven to twelve, there is a nice trail carved outside of the fairway. Going on the last few holes, I was as happy as could be.
Cons: However, at around thirteen, the course design takes a turn for the worse. Some of the holes just seem arbitrary. I think its fourteen that offers no real path to the basket that doesn't mean you have a good shot of a tree knocking you into brackish water. (Although it did allow me to successfully try out my new retriever)

Sixteen uses the same trick that I liked on nine, with the open shot leading to the basket tucked on a ledge but to a far lesser effect.

And then it fizzles on seventeen and eighteen, two of the blandest holes on the course. There is something to said for finishing strong. That doesn't happen here, which is sad because of the expectations the first 2/3 of the course had built up in my mind.

To be fair, a couple of those holes might play better when the waters lower, but that doesn't fix the end problem. Finish with one more hole of the caliber of 5-8 and Medard is a gem.

If only it were a dedicated park!

5+    5/5/2013   7/10/2013
Review By: tampabay
Pros: -Hills! This is the only Florida course I've played that actually has "hills", by that I do mean Florida hills. It adds a lot of fun to a very flat state.
-Balance. It has left finishing (1,2,5,10,15,16), right finishing (6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 18) and straight (3,4,12,13,14,17) finishing shots, 14 and 17 both finish a little right but have a long straight fairway. Such a good balance of shots.
-Distance. This course has hard distance, not long distance. By that I mean most of the distance shots have a catch, except for hole 9 and 16 which are both a blast over an open field, yet the basket it still tucked under a tree at the end.
-Variety. This course has open shots, wooded shots, blind shots, water shots, it has it all.
-Challenge. This course is a monster. I would say its one of the 5 most difficult courses in Florida, especially if you don't know the "local shots", meaning the high % routes that might not be obvious.
-Teepads/Signs. Very good shape. Most of the holes have benches and trashcans as well.
Cons: -Other park traffic. This seems to be the curse of Florida. If you come on a Saturday there is usually a game of cricket happening in the fairway of hole 9 and someone grilling or playing catch next to the baskets of 1 and 2. This is a serious problem. This park also contains "florida hills", so kids will often be sprinting through the fairways and climbing on the baskets of the back 9. This is the only reason I knocked this course down from a 4, but I think that having a non-dedicated disc golf course is a serious detriment to a course's rating. I have had to go politely ask many kid's parents for my disc back.
-Climate. During the summer time the course floods really badly and the mosquitoes are brutal, even for Florida. The water hazards are made up of some of the most foul liquid you will ever experience (hole 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 all play by water) and it is often downhill from the basket, meaning a roll-a-way could mean the end of your disc. The reason I listed the water as a con is because I feel that it adds difficulty, but not in a skillful manner. The water is more frustrating than it is challenging, it is almost exclusively a result of a bad bounce.
-Fairways. Some of the holes don't have clearly defined fairways. Hole 11 is the prime offender, but 14 isn't much better either. You may say this isn't a con, but some of the holes make me feel like I'm just hucking it into the woods and hoping for the best, and I don't like that.
Other Thoughts: -$2 to get in!

I wish I could give this course a higher rating, but like many Florida courses, the other park traffic keeps this course from being a top tier course. I also wish they would do a better job of cleaning up some fairways and making them more clearly defined. I love this course but I just can't give it a four. I would highly recommend trying to go early in the morning on a weekday if you want to play. I'd also discourage you from going around holiday or celebration times, meaning end of the semester or any major holidays.

Hills and Bogs and Doglegs, Oh My!

1    5/24/2013   5/31/2013
Review By: jaymon1
Pros: Teepads, signage, overall design, landscape
Other Thoughts: Edward Medard offers an excellent Central Florida disc golf experience amidst a large, rural park set not too far from both Tampa and Orlando. Like most other courses in the area, the amenities on the course are nice, with good signs, one set of nice long concrete tee pads on almost every hole, and way finding aids where needed. What really sets this course apart from others in the region, however, is the landscape on the back nine - a run of very interesting holes playing up to, among, and out of a set of short but steep hills with (perhaps seasonal) water challenges in the low spots of these holes. The amenities, interesting landscape, and solid hole-by-hole variety add up to an excellent disc golf outing that is worth a road trip.

Edward Medard has a bit of a split personality. For the first eight holes it presents a typically interesting Florida outing; overall, each features a perfect tee pad, is mostly par 3 but on the longish side, is a good mix of open and more wooded, and has enough bend in the fairways to reward both long arms and touch games. Get off the fairway and the palmetto and salt bush will punish you. So a pretty cool course, on the higher end of those in the region. Then #9 plays across an open field, but the basket is set atop a 15-foot or so steep hill, back behind a sprawling live oak. Suddenly, there's a lot more pressure on the approach shot. Then the next eight holes play among these hills, mostly: Come out of the trees back downhill and back into the open; fully wooded holes, playing among the many live oaks; and shots from one hill, across water, to a basket on another hill. Among these holes are some of the most interesting and challenging basket placements I've seen this side of Chavez Ridge in LA. Take a run at the basket for par, miss by a little, and you could be rolling downhill into the water or the thicket and looking at a double, at best. I'd be interested to know if there is a single more steeply elevated basket in all of Florida than #16 at this course. The course finishes with a flat woods hole for #18, however, bringing you back to Florida reality.

I'm very glad I made the trip to Edward Medard Park and really look forward to returning. This is definitely the sort of course that will play better the better you get to know it. Tampa and Orlando disc golfers now have a great excuse to get out of the sprawl and into the country for a top-notch outing. Overall, I rate this course as Excellent, and well worth the effort of a road trip or going out of your way to play.

1    5/16/2013   5/23/2013
Review By: sneakytiki
Pros: Well maintained and signed. Very unique landscape in the woods with the tree roots and such. Fun to play, good balance of left/right open/wooded. Park is nice and would lend well to bringing the family out, grill up some food and enjoy a nice day.
Cons: I understand its more a geographical thing than something that can be controlled, but the course in late may had bugs everywhere. I was constantly swatting flies, mosquitoes, brushing spiders and webs off myself. In the back 9 there were some holes that had huge green ooze pits of some sort, some littered with trash. I skipped over a few holes for fear of loosing discs in the ooze pits. Those pits are probably dried up in other parts of the year.
Other Thoughts: While the wood carved posts showing the hole layout is a very nice touch and looks great, they are worse than most at depicting the scale of everything. I think early on taking them too seriously really confused me. I started walking the entirety of almost every hole before starting (luckily I was the only one)

< Prev 1 2 3