Silverdale, WA
Bud Pell @ Ross Farm Share
Uploaded By: Discette Hole #3 (Taken 12/2013)
3 / 342ft.   -- / --   5 / 1022ft.   5 / 1022ft. Par / Distance:

Super fun

1    8/2/2012   8/26/2012
Review By: powerplantthom
Pros: Just a super fun course. Lots of variety. I like a simple review that says yes play here or stay away. Im not a technical player and just enjoy the sport. I say you should play this course if you have the chance
Cons: None really
Other Thoughts: I have played a few hundred courses around the world in the past 15 years and this is on my top 20! List for fun

What a difference a month makes!

2-4    6/16/2012   6/20/2012
Review By: Calyub
Pros: - Very challenging! There is something really cool about playing holes that are par 5, over 1000 feet long and span 3 full fields.
- Good course variation. You will shoot over swamps, around paint ball players, near electric fences, adjacent to ponds. You won't shoot two holes in a row that feel the same.
- Very well marked! A month ago, this would have been a con as the signs were horrible. The course admins have done a fantastic job of fixing what was once a glaring issue. Each hole is now marked with little arrows to blue and red tees.
- Vegetation is a lot better! It looks like a lot of work has been made to give the course a cleaner look, that include clearing out some nettles, errant logs, wire fences, stumps and other obstacles.
Cons: - Red approaches need a lot of work! Blue tees are flat and maintained. The red tees seem more like an after-thought and several are little more than a dirt patch with a small log to mark their forward boundary.
- The lay-out of the course lends itself to groups shooting over one another and walking through each other's line of play. This is mainly an issue around hole 6, 12, 13, etc.
- Beware the paint-ballers! You may share time with the paint ball players who occupy the adjacent plot of land.
- Parking area is a tad small.
- Tall grass and swampy in early areas. I would suggest water proof boots and long pants for this course.
- No disk return box near the bulletin board.
Other Thoughts: The first time I went to BP I thought the course was absolutely horrible. The signs were almost non-existent and everything was grossly over-grown. Recent improvements have changed my view greatly! The first time (our group of 3) played here, it took us 3 1/2 hours to get through. We left angry, confused and mentally tired (exactly opposite of what I usually feel while playing disk golf). After going back with a different group of 3, with the marked fields and cleaner appearance, it took us just over 90 minutes to play the round. I would now feel comfortable recommending this course to everyone, especially to those who welcome a challenge and a good test of your skill.

Bud Pell at Ross Farm

5+    3/2/2012   3/3/2012
Review By: jedimasterbryan
This review was updated on 3/19/2012
Pros: -A nice little course guidelines board at the beginning of the course. UPDATE: A new bulletin board has been added complete with full size course map.
-Good signage throughout course, specifically i really liked that they have different color stakes placed to give you a rough idea of distance remaining to pin
-Great tees, they're all either concrete or gravel with support bars. First time i've seen this type of gravel tee and i really liked it.
-Wide variety of holes, you've got your typical pacific NW wooded holes and also some wide open holes where you can really rip it.
-Benches at each tee are nice for taking quick break or setting disc bags on.
-Some great pin placement. There's an elevated pin, a pin staked into a grouping of rocks etc.
Cons: -Parking lot is a tad small, i could see this being an issue in the busier spring/summer months
-Although the signage is good, the layout could confuse a first timer. Bring a tour guide of you can.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed this course. I was a little apprehensive to try it since i was warned of the difficulty level, although it plays harder than a course like NAD its a great place to come once you've gotten down your basic game to work on your skills. I loved the wide open holes where i could really let it rip and work on my power. It also gives a great opportunity to throw a bunch of extra discs and get a feel for whats in your bag. There are some super memorable holes on the course too, from #3's 1000ft trek to my personal favorite #18, which seems straight forward but allows you to take a multitude of approaches to. I think this may have surpassed Dalaiwood as my favorite course in the area.

Bring everything you've got

2-4    12/26/2011   12/27/2011
Review By: b-mart
Pros: This course will challenge any level of player. You have to use every shot and disc in your bag at some point, and will probably even have to try something you've never tried before at least once. There is no safe hole on this course. Even the shorter holes have something to throw you off, whether it's low ceilings, tight windows, or trees and bushes. Hole 2 is an experience in itself that I recommend to every disc golfer, no matter how long they've been playing. It might drive you to sell your discs and pursue a career as a professional putt putt golfer, but it's still an experience that everyone should have at least once in their life. Personally I wish I lived closer, because the few times I've played it just haven't been enough. The first time I was here we finished our round and then played 2 repeatedly (at least 4 times) until it was too dark to see.

The variation in holes is perfect on this course. There are the holes like 1, 2, 12, and 13 that really let you air it out. Then there are heavily wooded holes like 14, gigantic S-curves like 10 and 16, and plenty of elevation change.

The risk on this course is through the roof, but so is the reward. Being a player who approaches the game with a "why not try the hard way?" attitude, I love playing courses like this. You get so many opportunities to try that crazy shot through a window that's too small for any sane person to try. Granted, that attitude plus this course equals a brutal score only surpassed by SeaTac and occasionally Terrace Creek , but I'm just having too much fun to care.
Cons: I guess the tee pads can be called a con. I don't mind gravel really, but it can definitely hurt your run up if it's too worn in. Luckily they added concrete tiles to the pad for 2 for a more solid base.

Some of these holes just don't make sense to you the first time through. Hole 5 is a prime example:

A decent drive sets you up for a blind shot down a narrow alley with OB/electric fence/paintball on the right and a random collection of trees on the left. Two shots later, after you've been shocked and pelted with paint, you're back in the trees on the left and taking one of those crazy trick shots that probably won't work (but sometimes does) to set up for a difficult putt for bogey. I can speak from experience on the latter, but I've been lucky enough to avoid the former scenario. I just described a very challenging hole, but you'll see what I mean if you go actually look at the hole. As has been stated before on this site, it kind of feels like two holes spliced together, and not very gracefully. Holes 1, 13, and 16 don't make a lot of sense the first time either. I can't call them cons because they're some of my favorite holes on the course, but if you haven't played a monstrous course like this before you won't expect them to be quite so… Mean.

The flow in the middle of the course is a bit confusing. They did a great job of using every inch and slope of the meadow for 11, 12, and 13 without them encroaching on each other's fairways, but it still throws you off after you finish 10.

It has to be said even though I've played the course in both fall and winter and haven't had any issues with it myself: The marshy area for holes 1 and 2 can provide a serious damper (no pun intended) to the beginning of your round. Wear Gore Tex. You're playing in the Northwest. You should be wearing it anyway.
Other Thoughts: This course doesn't like you. It just doesn't. It's paid the trees to play solid zone defense and the wind to mug your drives. Luckily for you the wind and trees have minds of their own and sometimes give the course the finger and help you out instead. But of course Bud Pell is a bully and will still try to find a way to hurt you. It's like a puppy with an attitude problem though. It might ruin your day by eating your shoes, but it's impossible to stay mad at and keeps you coming back for more.