Silverdale, WA
Bud Pell @ Ross Farm Share
Uploaded By: Discette Hole #18 (Taken 12/2013)
3 / 265ft.   -- / --   3 / 265ft.   3 / 265ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #18 Blue/Red Tee

1 2 Next >
 Bud Pell @ Ross Farm

1    7/23/2011   8/3/2011
Review By: JR Stengele
Pros:
*Bud Pell @ Ross Farm in Silverdale, WA is a massive 18 hole disc golf course and incorporates a wide variety of terrain (woods, meadow, farm land) with rolling elevation. Installed in 2011, this course is another fine addition to the collection of courses maintained by the West Sound Disc Golf Association.
*Holes vary in both length and design, requiring a balanced attack with plenty of risk versus reward. Distance for the course totals 7,253 ft, with one Par 5, seven Par 4's, and 13 Par 3's, making Par for the course 63. Holes range from 185'-1022 ft, and often require power and precision.
*Course navigation is made easier w/ use of online map, but the tee signs and the next hole indicators were a nice addition. Chainstar baskets were all in great condition and easy to spot for the most part from the fairway.
*Other ameneities include paintballing, mini golf, and a golf driving range.

Favorite Hole/s:
Hole #3 - 462 ft Par 4 through a tightly wooded, but well defined fairway moving from left to right.
Hole # 16 - 528 ft Par 4 throwing a huge RH hyzer downward over a meadow and in to the woods with a heavly guarded pin.
Cons:
*Bud Pell @ Ross Farm suffers a bit due to its ability to retain water, especially on a lot of the front nine, which makes playing this course more difficult during certain times of the year . I played the day after it rained in July and my boots and socks were soaked after playing the first two holes.
*With the tall grass on a lot of the meadow holes, time spent searching for a disc can add up so use a spotter wisely and bright colored discs if you have them. Many of the wooded fairways, especially on some of the Par 4's, could still open up. I found it difficult sometimes to differentiate between the fairway and the rough as they were distinct. Again, this will improve over time and will eventually improve.
*The largest issue and most easily fixable however is the need for cement tee pads. With this course being so long, it is a must! Funds are being put together through the work of the local club through fundraisers and weeklies however.

Least Favorite Hole/s:
Hole # 5 - 564 Par 4 with great potential but still very undeveloped. Felt like two holes put together rather than one continuous beast. Excited to come back to see what this one looks like after more foot traffic.
**The West Sound has become a destination area for disc golfers in the state of Washington. With six courses within 15 minutes of one another (including NAD, Dalaiwood, Fairgrounds, Van Zee, Fredericksen, and now Bud Pell), it will appease everyone while challenging even the best. The WSDGA has continued to raise the bar with their dedication and determination. Thank you.

Another Nice Choice For Kitsap County Golfers!

1    6/24/2011   6/24/2011
Pros: Excellent variety between long (some really long) bomber holes and shorter, technical throws through beautiful Pacific Northwest forests. The course builders did a wonderful job of designing this masterpiece to keep you guessing? What kind of a hole will I come up against next? A 250 ft. ACE run? Or a 550 ft. uphill tunnel shot requiring two or even three precise shots? The baskets are brand new chainstar models. I completely agree with my esteemed fellow reviewer, Mr. sillybiz, that the baskets could really use a number plate on them. If not a number plate, I would be happy with a bright piece of tape with the basket number written on it with a sharpie. That would have seriously helped us a couple of times today with our navigation. The signs are great, informative ones, mounted on rustic wood branches, so very fitting for this course in the forest. There are rustic wooden benches at each hole also. There is one legitimate par 5, and seven par 4's. When you factor in some extreme length such as the 1022 ft. # 2, super tight/narrow/low ceiling on some of the shorter holes and uphill cranks on a couple of others, I believe these pars to be earned and legit. I found the enjoyment factor to be off the charts on many of these holes and really appreciated the mulitple routes available on # 14 and # 17. Both of these are possible ACE runs giving the right handed player the option of throwing a traditional hyser or a forehand or back handed annnie shot.
Cons: Two major cons jump out at you. The first is the pads. Currently, with the course in it's infancy, some of the pads are uneven, slick, muddy, dirt and too short. A few are better. As soon as I read about improved teepads here, I will bump my rating up to a 4.

The second problem is also major and not so easily solved. The first two holes play across marshy wetlands. They are going to be pretty much unplayable for much of our Northwest winter and spring here. They were awfully wet today in late June. Other than some kind of a redesign with a winter course, I don't have a great answer. It's a crying shame because these are two of the (many) signature holes on this course.
Another con that we found that can be corrected easily enough concerns navigation. We totally played to the wrong basket on # 5. # 5 is the one down the little road to the right. Here is when a number plate or a taped # on the basket could have saved us quite a lot of time. There were no laminated maps in the little box near the # 1 teebox and I couldn't get the on-line version to print. A map would have saved us some time navigating. My next time here, it will be a breeze.
Other Thoughts: All in all, this is a wonderfully designed, enjoyable, challenging course. My pro partner shot even and wants to come back and shot under. I shot 14 over and enjoyed myself immensely. I, however, have no chance in hell of ever shooting under par on this course. I love the fact that players of all skill levels can come here and compete and enjoy themselves without being totally overwhelmed by it's distance or it's challenge. It does have that Horning's Hideout/Shelton Springs Vibe. Good comparison, sillibiz! The Kitsap peninsula has become quite a disc golf mecca.

Strange name - good course

1    6/23/2011   6/24/2011
Review By: sillybizz
Pros: The Bud Pell course has some interesting design and a couple of really fun holes. I really like how the par four holes were broken up with some shorter holes in between them with the exception of the first three holes, kind of a brutal way to start a course. The combination of open/long wooded/long wooded/short works really well in this golfers mind and were put to excellent use. I feel like the designer(s) did an amazing job using the wonderful piece of property here and did not waste any of it. This place has a couple of different looks to it and many times I was reminded of courses like Shelton Springs, Horning's Hideout (there were even peacocks!) and a couple of courses on the East Coast that I have played.

I thought hole two was very thought out, I was a bit skeptical as so few par fives in disc golf are ever super good, IMO. This hole is open for the drive but you have to pick a good landing zone on the top of the hill to be able to have a good position on the next shot. The next throw is going through some thick trees on a tight line back into the open field to your third shot (if you're lucky) which will be about a 200 foot wide open approach. It would be nice if this third approach had some sort of obstacle or out of bounds or something challenging your third shot. This is an excellent par five for mortals but my belief is that it will be a tweener for elite professional players.
Cons: One of my biggest issues for this course is that fairways are not defined enough. You're not sure where to throw to and sometimes you can land in the middle of stinging nettles and be in the fairway. Obviously this course is new but some brush clearing on the ground would go a long ways to help shape the fairways and aid in navigation as well. Speaking of navigation...

The Chainstar baskets are great baskets but they need to have number plates because you're not sure which is the right basket even with the printed map just having the numbers on the baskets would make it so much easier, I suppose this is where DISCatchers have an advantage. The tee signs help greatly and so does the map but there are still some very confusing sections here and a couple of strange walkouts, going to hole 14 rings a bell.

The grass in the field is mowed slightly in places I'm guessing to try and show the fairway but it is not enough at all. Still there is a ton of looking for discs in this grass and you are throwing in an open field. Also a couple of limbs here and there to clear out somewhat of a ceiling like on hole 18 where there is a very narrow route but they you need the disc to go to the left with a very low ceiling. I would have to play this hole a couple more times but as of now I can't see getting to this hole in one throw unless you are lucky cutting through some branches and bushes. A couple of limbs here and there on this hole and a couple others would go along way.

Teepads!!! This course needs tee pads more than any other course I have ever seen. How am I supposed to throw a 1000 foot hole with a 3 foot long tee pad made out of slippery dirt/mud? If not concrete or fly pads then carpet would work very well. I've seen carpet work in plenty of places and I have no complaints about it.
Other Thoughts: I feel bad about this review because I feel the potential is there. There are some spectacular holes here already that I feel rivals some of the best courses I have seen but there are enough cons right now and more specifically fun eating cons that I can't rate it any higher now. In the future when I come back and play it in the months and years to come I can only see raising my rating for this course.

This is an interesting place that even has a Golf driving range, Mini Golf, and Paintball to go along with the Disc Golf.

2-4    6/21/2011   6/21/2011
Review By: Barthanatos
This review was updated on 6/22/2011
Pros: -Quality baskets, informative tee signs present on every hole, good layout that plays sensibly.
-Not crowded (yet).
-A variety of short, long (#2 is 1022 ft par 5), open, wooded holes. Elevation comes into play on maybe five holes, most significantly on number one.
-There are a lot of benches at the tee boxes. -Pleasant scenery (typical of courses in the area).
-Good parking.
-There is a practice basket.
-The adjacent paintball park has stated that they will be carrying some discs for sale; I didn't go by there to check, and the paintball field was not open on the Monday afternoon I played.
-The local association is very active.
-Underbrush is not bad on the majority of holes (although I did lose a disc when a bad bounce sent me OB into the wilderness).
Cons: -Concrete tee pads not installed yet, although the boxes are well-defined.
-A regular stroller would not be able to navigate the course; a jogging stroller *might* work.
-The baskets are not numbered.
-Kiosk did not have any maps.
-I didn't spot anything in the way of facilities (water/bathrooms/trash cans) on the course itself.
Other Thoughts: I ran into Mr. Ross as I was leaving and was very impressed with his friendliness and good nature.

Be sure to close any gates that you go through.

My first play-through took about 3 hours and involved some backtracking to figure out where to go. It is a demanding course compared to NAD, for example.

The drive from tee #2 actually goes dead straight (parallel to the fence on your right); the tee sign makes it look like you should go left a bit.

When on #5, and trying to decide which path to take into the woods from the landing zone, stick all the way to the right, along the fence.

When walking from #16 to the tee box on #17, cross the dirt road heading towards the ball golf driving range, and you'll see the practice basket and #17's basket near to it. The tee is to your left (North), up the hill.

Super long course in Kitsap county

2-4    6/3/2011   6/10/2011
Review By: MisoHorny57
Pros: this course is super long. having you play over 2000ft in the first 3 holes, can we say ridiculous. This course has the open holes for those with cannons, tight fairways for precision, and tons of elevation change. If i had to compare to other nearby courses, I would say this course is a cross between Shelton springs openness (if thats a word) and Fairgrounds DGC woods. I am extremely pleased with this courses, especially since its the longest one from what i hear in Washington state. Theres 4 other courses all within 10 minutes of here and 1 thats about 25 minutes away. From my understanding, theres 2 Par 5's and 6 Par 4's shoulda kept the course map, sorry. But there are laminated maps for those that dont know there way around, just be sure to return them to the kiosk.Theres a hole to test any kind of shot you have in your arsenal. Overall great course.
Cons: Like the description says no cement teepads, and when I played it there were only 8 temp baskets that Mr. Paul Wright left out, the rest were poles in the ground marking where the baskets were going. None of these are real cons, just things being worked on obviously since this course just got completed.
Other Thoughts: Cant wait till its completely done. I know the Organiztion is holding some work parties to clear up the fairways and to install baskets when they come in, in about a week. Lovely long holes, which is what we needed in Kitsap. Since the other courses all play par 54. Definately a little tough for beginners, they can play it but be ready for a very long round. With skilled players your loking at 2.5 to 3 hours for a round. Good luck and enjoy.

1 2 Next >