Woodruff, WI
Brandy Lake DGC Share
Uploaded By: koogs Hole #3 (Taken 6/2011)
3 / 262ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Beautiful ace run course

1    7/3/2013   7/3/2013
Review By: wolfhaley
Pros: This is one of the best looking courses I've played. They definitely took some notes from the fantastic sandy point resort and disc golf ranch about 20 minutes away. Theres a large board with any disc golf related info posted on it near hole 1. Theres a donation box on this as well as a box for scorecards. There were no scorecards when we played. There are huge, level tee pads on every hole. Very nice teepads! The signs were also top notch. They had the basic hole layout, distance and showed the different pin locations on each. Like I just mentioned there are a number of pin locations on most if not all holes. Although I don't care for disc catchers much, these were all in great shape and caught well. They also had hole numbers on them which actually faced the tee pads which seems rare. Theres a good mix of left, right and straight shots on this course as well. They have awesome benches on almost every hole but I believe only 3 trash cans. This course doesn't take long to play so 3 trash cans is plenty here. There are a number of tightly wooded holes with only a few open holes. There is a fair lane to the basket on all the holes. The course is set up so that it doesn't affect other park activities unless you really throw the wrong way. They have next tee signs all over the place which is nice in that there are 2 longer walks between holes.
Cons: The main con anyone would have here is the distances. They are EXTREMELY short. This is the only con I can come up with here, however it is a pretty big con which keeps me from rating it any higher than I did.
Other Thoughts: Not a course to go out of your way to play but if you are in the area it's totally worth a round or two. Like I said this is one of, if not THE prettiest free course I've ever played. A good course to work on your short game and just throw a putter if you wanted.

Nice fun short wooded course

1    11/3/2012   11/15/2012
Pros: 1) Nice signs with Hole #, Par, Distance, and a map.
2) A few garbage cans and some 5 gallon buckets at many tees for the trash.
3) Directionals are used to effectively help you find your way on your first round here.
4) Benches are found in some places which is always a nice touch to be able to sit during tourneys or behind slow groups.
5) Nice large concrete tees are always appreciated because they are consistent.
6) There is some really nice landscaping done on this course. The boulders on hole #1 and #2 add a nice touch.
7) The pine straw covers the ground and actually does a good job to keep the mud down, but it is also very padding to avoid compaction and erosion. Overtime they build up and create a softer surface to work on.
8) Cigarette buckets with sand on the tee posts. While it is not the most attractive thing, it is better than having butts all over the ground.
9) Nice Discatchers on this course. The yellow band is appreciated on a few holes making it much easier to see the baskets.
10) Brooms are located near many of the tees. Some of them are broken but you can still use them to keep the teepads free of sand and other debris
11) Very nice variety of shots to be thrown here. Some anhyzers, some hyzers, some straight shots.
12) Beginner friendly course. I enjoy a challenge, but we do still need beginner friendly courses.
13) This course can be played in a relatively short amount of time making it ideal for lunch breaks and quick rounds after work.
Cons: 1) Tight and dangerous in a few spots. I know there were a couple tees in danger and a few of the fairways ran very close to others creating the potential for a bad kick to send you into another fairway.
2) Fairly repetitive distance. They are mostly 150-225 with just a couple outliers on the course.
3) Almost all of the brooms were broken . . . who breaks the only tool on the course to keep the tees clean?
4) There was a little bit of garbage around the course but it was just an occasional can or bottle.
5) A little monotonous in terms of the variety of hole. The foliage is just about all the same, it is just about the same density, and there are only a couple with turf on the holes. While this is a negative from a design standpoint, I can still appreciate all wooded courses. I simply do not enjoy grassed courses near as much as I do wooded courses.
6) Really goofy setup where you walk along an entire hole and around the tee to turn towards your next tee. You can cross the fairwaya nd shave off some distance but be sure noone is throwing. This is also one of the dangerous spots for sure.
Other Thoughts: Not a bad little course. It was another heavily wooded course in the awesome Northwoods. The holes are fairly short but fun to throw. I had a bunch of birdies and one bad bogey. It is always a lot of fun to get a bunch of birdies on a course like this because you had to execute some goods shots to get the disc close.
There is an awesome bar and grill just around the corner called Saloon's. I stopped in after my round for a sandwich. It was a great Turkey Rachel with a pile of fries. I finished, asked if they took Discover and they said we do not take credit. They have an ATM but my ATM card hasn't worked in over a year . . . I guess I should have taken care of that!! I had $9 in my wallet and my bill was $16.50 for my sandwich and a drink. The bartender understood the predicament of me being 300 miles from hole and having no access to cash. The problem was I had made 3 donations at courses on my way up in the amount of $15 so I was getting really low on cash. I had more in my hotel room, but that was 40 miles away and he didn't expect me to drive back up and I didn't want to miss out on any courses because of this. He offered to cover me and said that would be his good deed. I got his address and said I will take care of this, and I appreciated his gesture. SO when I got home, I sent him $15 (on top of the $9 I had already given him) and a Disc Golf Experience mini in thanks. I told him to show the letter of thanks to his boss and gave him the url for my blog so he could check out my experience. I hope my gesture was enough thanks for his gesture of trust and compassion.

Brandy Lake DGC

2-4    9/2/2012   9/14/2012
Review By: SleekrBeekr
Pros: 18 hole layout.
High quality signs on every tee.
Multiple pin locations.
Very nicely groomed.
Attractive landscaping.
Relatively fast paced course.
Fairly easy, but offers enough challenge to be fun.
A park, baseball fields, tennis courts, picnic areas, and lake access offer plenty of activities.
Cons: A few of the maps are a little off on pin locations.
Pretty short for 18 holes.
Gets a little repetitive in the woods, with most holes being fairly short and winding through the thick, but well trimmed, trees.
Other Thoughts: This is a fun, quick playing 18 hole course. It plays mostly through the woods with a few open holes. There are a few O.B. roads, sidewalks, and fences, but they offer a nice challenge. Most of the holes are pretty short, but they require an accurate shot due to the thick forests. There are multiple pin locations on most holes and can offer a nice bit of variety to the course. Some of the maps are a bit off on where the pin locations are. This is mostly because the map will show more exaggerated hyzers or anhyzers then the hole actually plays.
The course is very well maintained, and the landscaping is beautiful. Most tee-pads are surrounded with nice stone work or wood chips and the trees on most holes are well trimmed. The course looks very nice and compliments the area. There are multiple things to do in the surrounding park offering a nice variety of activities and adding the overall replay value of this course. Additionally, the relative ease of the layout is nice for bigger groups and casual/beginning players.
This course is in a small town in a tourist area, so there is plenty to do on a little vacation. There is also a very high quality course about 20 minutes from this one, Sandy Point Resort. These two courses and all the local attractions offer more than enough for the traveling disc golfer, or anyone fortunate enough to spend time in the area.

1    8/2/2011   8/6/2011
Review By: deafdgolfer
Pros: I had spend my week vacation at Woodruff area, and it is my 5th straight year outing with my In Laws. Nice and quick escape to play a round. I have the chance to play 5 rounds there before I m albe to confirm its rating.
Nice tee signs/ sponsors
Well-maintained course
Family friendly gathering place (my son just completed his very first 18 hole round)
Friendly League night (missed my Lustig Disc Golf League night, however went out there instead)
Cons: Lot of short holes!
Not all have concrete tees (10-15)
Mostly are flat
Other Thoughts: I have played several short 18 holes around in Wisconsin and am pleased with Brady Lake course. There is lot of mixed shots to work on. If you are one of those seasoned players, I would recommend you to bring putters, overstable and beaten mids. I was able to work on my Wizards and Rocs.

I would have score it 3.0 but My 7 year old son had a blast time playing out there than other courses that he had gone before, which it bumped an additonal .5 pts

If you happen to be in the area, and in the mood to work on your approach shots, it is the place to work on!