Woodruff, WI
Brandy Lake DGC Share
Uploaded By: koogs Hole #13 (Taken 6/2011)

1 2 Next >
 Good Rrecreational Course

1    7/30/2011   7/31/2011
Review By: Geoffro
Pros: I was impressed by this young course's aesthetics, as well as its ease of use. Often times a new course will lack clear signage and look all that greats, as the developers are going to "get to that later;" as their priority is to get the course playable. Brandy Lake DGC looks great - nice tee pads (though some on the back nine are not yet installed as of this review), rock-lined fairways with moderate but not distracting landscaping. The course was installed in an already existing public park that offers a swimming beach, ball diamonds, picnicking, etc. Unlike many courses installed in existing parks, it does not interfere with other park activities - at no point along the course would you have to stop to wait for non-golfers to clear the fairway or risk driving a disc into a center fielder.
Cons: This course in limited in the number of types of challenges it can present to the player. As I moved from hole to hole, I started to get some deją vu e.g. "didn't I just play this hole?" This isn't to badmouth the course at all - they were limited in terms of what they could do with the space they had, lack of elevation change, etc. I got the feeling lots of holes were left-turning as well, but this would fit with making the course more fun for beginners (those who are not left-handed anyway). The lack of variety in types of challenges offered limited what I could honestly do with the rating.
Other Thoughts: In spite of some of the limitations of this course, I really had a pretty good time playing. I think some of this had to do with the feeling I always get playing a newly developed course, but more so to the amount of effort the developers put in to making the course great to look at as well as easy to navigate. While this course does not present the level of challenge experience players might enjoy more, it will almost certainly increase the number of disc golfers in the area. This is the kind of course that presents itself and the sport in general to the public through presence in a public park. Lots of people who have never played before will be introduced to the sport at this course, and our numbers will continue to grow because of it. Kudos to Brandy Lake - nice job.

Good beginner/intermediate course

1    6/25/2011   6/27/2011
Review By: koogs
Pros: 18 holes with concrete tee pads, 7 holes have a 2nd pin placement. Tee signs were nice with all the info you need. There is a "Next Tee" sign very visible near each basket. Navigation was easy except for hole 10. Going from basket 9 to tee 10, I passed basket 14, which made me wonder if I was going the right way. When I checked the map (from this website), I found out I was, but it seemed a little weird. Decent mixture of left/right/straight---10/6/2
Cons: Very short distances. 11 of the holes were under 200', and depending on pin placement, the longest was 301' As I was playing, it seemed that a lot of the holes were similar (curving left), but when I counted them, the ratio was 10--6, left to right, which is probably about average. Only mild elevation on this course. The tee signs didn't tell me which pin placement was in use, but with the short distances, I really just had to look down the fairway to tell.
Other Thoughts: If a family-friendly, beginner to intermediate course was what they were after, they did a very nice job. The course was being well used and most of the others out there were families, which was good to see. There is just enough challenge for that level of skill. More skilled players will find this course too easy. I had 11 birdies and I'm not that good. The course is in a city park, but is mostly separated from the other park users. Hole 17 has a walking path on the right and a driveway on the left and I did have to wait for a pedestrian and a car to clear before I threw and if you really overthrow one, you might reach the parking lot beyond the basket. Like I said, they did a nice job with what they put together, but the short distances and lack of elevation or water or anything unusual, I have to give this only a 3.

Great New Course

1    5/28/2011   6/6/2011
Review By: caimeg
Pros: Great Tee Boxes
Great Signage
Great Layout
Great Location
Cons: Final touches (this is a strech but had to write something)
Other Thoughts: Brand new course set up for all to play. Can play hard and can play easier. Must check it out.

1 2 Next >