Charlotte, NC
Robert L. Smith Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #10 (Taken 1/2015)

A must play in Charlotte

1    1/17/2013   1/23/2013
Review By: Hearin Chains
Pros: This is my first review, and my experience at RL smith was so phenomenal I created an account just to write this.

From the tee pad on hole one its easy to see that this course is going to offer a different experience from other courses in Charlotte. Off the Tee Box you follow your drive down a goat path into the woods and really have to work to come away with par.

Making great use of the land you'll play up and down this same hill on the next two holes, what a warm up!

Next its into the woods, where your going to spend the next 15 holes. I imagine this is going to be a welcome reprieve from the carolina sun come summer.
Despite being all wooded holes, the holes verried enough to not feel repetitive. Using a creek as a OB provides beauty and also a challenge. Also featured is a large rock formation.

For such a new course , the amount of work put in is amazing. Awesome ceder benches are frequently well appreciated.

I loved playing this the first time, and felt like a kid in the candy store. Really transports you from the hustle and bustle of the city to a nice walk in the woods.
Cons: Its a little hard to find the first teebox, but really not that big of a deal.
Other Thoughts: I really considered a 4.5 rating, but went with a 5 because its displaced my previous two favorite courses. ( Renny and Hudson Mills )

This course deserves to be recognized as one of the best, if not the best, of the Charlotte metros courses.

Great Disc Golf!!

5+    9/10/2012   1/23/2013
Review By: TOURNEYPLAYER
Pros: What a well designed course! This course was one of the most enjoyable rounds of true Disc golf I have played in a very long time. It has a mix of everything and as a Lefty, I loved that all the punishement for errant or early releases was not on the right side. Hole 4 has to be my favorite. It is an extremely tough par 3. Water and OB all along the right, and a basket that is surrounded. a well placed drive will most likely earn a par. going for the bird is as risky as it gets, and will prob get you 2 strokes on a lot of people. The use of the property was perfect, you feel completely separated from the rest of the park and that is my favorite kind of DG. It almost has the private course feel. I really could go on and on about this course. Holes 17 and 18 are also amazing. Again, as a lefty I love 17, I can rip my drive and usually get up over the creek. 18 is just gorgeous. I want to empty my bag everytime I get on that teebox.
Cons: None really. you are isolated, so make sure to bring anything you want to have with you. Water,backup discs, towels, maybe a banana for the leg cramps. this course is a workout.
Other Thoughts: I am always down to play a round at R.L. the little extras that the club put in really make it special. Some of the coolest benches and teeboxes I have seen. the gallery area on the back 9, for the short uphill drive to the boulder is EPIC! If you are going to Charlotte, Do not miss the opportunity to play this course.

I have a new favorite... Beg/Interm. Review

1    1/19/2013   1/19/2013
Review By: apparition
This review was updated on 1/23/2013
Pros: + Baskets always seemed to be placed just out of range, in a corner, next to treacherous water, on top of some rocks, around a dogleg - just fantastic placement
+ Very challenging hole layouts almost always with elevation change
+ Lots of elevation makes for good exercise and fun between-hole hikes; not overly hilly, but definitely worth noting that good shoes are a must
+ ROCKS! Boulders, rocky streams, and rocks on the greens made some holes seem hardcore.
+ Woodwork! Come on, who doesn't love seeing hard work and great care being put into the layout of a disc golf course? Tons of bridges, stairs, and very nice benches
+ WATER! Streams everywhere, which made shaping safe, but long lines even more crucial.
+ Awesome paths to follow, but not so worn down like Reedy
+ Fantastic maps at each hole really helped
+ Great tees
+ Great baskets
+ Restrooms
+ Practice basket
+ Big fields to practice distance drives
Cons: - Some rough areas were very rough
- Water can be great fun, but it SUCKS when your disc drops down and it's murky in some spots, so is your disc in there or not? Only one way to really find out...
Other Thoughts: Overall, I had an amazing time here. I had a pretty great round, too. Getting that perfectly shaped line lead to some very very satisfying birdies (#2, 6, and 18). The water kept me on my toes. It was never too deep where I felt I couldn't hop in if it was necessary (and it wasn't necessary even for beginners), but it seriously made me think about each individual throw more so than any other course I've ever played (no hole was out of my intermediate skill range). It was just a gorgeous forest, too. The course designers deserve awards for this one. A lot of care must have been taken when designing and building it to preserve the integrity of the streams, trees, roots, and rock structures. And the woodwork! Great benches, very solid bridges (and lots and lots of them!), and some very nicely crafted stairs. Thank you. If Charlotte DGC has any hand in keeping it in such great shape, I also have to say thank you. Also, thank you for the maps. This course has two great maps on DGCR.

In the past two days in Charlotte I've played four really good courses; not Nest, Renny, or Nevin yet, but this has been my favorite so far. I actually think this is my favorite course I've ever played. It truly deserves 5/5 discs.

**Update** After playing Nevin, Nest, and Renny I have to say that this was definitely my favorite course. The elevation changes, streams, and woodwork stick out most in my mind, but I also liked its location and level of difficulty. It wasn't as difficult as those popular challenging courses, but to throw well I needed to consider my discs and shape some very fun long and short lines. More advanced players won't feel challenged to the max, but I still think the location and layout make it a must play course in Charlotte for any skill level.

The Cure for Disc Golf Blues

1    12/30/2012   1/2/2013
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: The Robert L. Smith course in Charlotte is a great course and instant favorite of mine. Offering challenging, and very shapely fairways featuring elements of extreme elevation changes, a few long distance holes, some water, and moderate to heavy woods almost all the way around. Each hole has its own merits, with several stunners. I particularly remember the proximity to the water on holes 4 and 7, the candy cane hairpin fairway on 9, and a fantastic finishing hole on 18. I think hole 13 had the only V shaped tee pad I have ever seen, giving options to drive the split fairways. I saw a number of interesting trees and liked the surroundings of this course. I would like to see it in the summer with leaf canopy on the trees.

Like most of the course I have played in Charlotte, the course is well designed, and the tee pads, baskets and signage are all high quality and complete. I really thought the benches, stairs, and bridges were great as well. There are restrooms at the beginning of the course and a few garbage cans around the course. A police officer was keeping an eye on the park entrance from his cruiser the entire time we were there.
Cons: The planes arriving at and departing the nearby airport were my biggest distraction, but nothing can be done about that. Some footing issues for me due to leafy debris and some wet ground, not that bad considering the rain in the days prior to my visit. The signs and pads were quality through the course, but there were not as many benches on the back 9, maybe more are in the works. My only real reason to complain was the poor play from me all day. Such a great course, and I really stunk it up. A few good throws, but couldn't really even get out of the box most of the day.
Other Thoughts: I have not given a 5 to any course yet, and rarely 4.5 ratings. I feel Robert L. Smith disc golf course deserves the phenomenal status, for the terrific blend of scenic beauty, fun, challenge, great layout, and quality equipment. I realize there is not the versatility of extra boxes or pin positions, and maybe some might find this course too difficult, but it is as close to perfection as few other courses I have played. If I had played better, or hit an ace I might have rewarded my first 5. Reminds me of Golden Hills DGC in Blacksburg, VA.

1    10/20/2012   10/22/2012
Review By: CHAINSEEKER66
Pros: Played this course for the first time over the weekend..and I love it!!,This course is NOT for a beginners. Great variety and ELEVATION changes. Be ready for a work out. I will definitely be coming back for this one.
Cons: It would be nice if hole 9 were closer to the parking lot so you could get refreshments but I just packed more water on my second round.
Other Thoughts: I have to say the CDGC keeps our area courses in tip top shape and this course is no exception. When we started our second round there was a couple of guys on hole two weed eating the hill. These guys deserve a big pat on the back as does all the CDGC.

One of the most interesting courses ever

5+    10/3/2012   10/15/2012
Review By: Nlicare18
Pros: Excellent variety. A little cit of everything. Elevation- OB- Water- right turns- left turns- did i mention elevation??
The moment you walk onto this course you can tell that it is something special and that a ton of work has gone into making this place incredible. I feel the course designers did a terrific job with the land provided. It is a beast to walk and play- but very fun and enjoyable. There are hand built benches and a huge deck right off of a teepad. I would highly recommend playing this course if you are nearby!
Cons: My score- nah just kidding. You have to be able to throw several different types of shots to score well. Challenging and rewarding. I dont really have anything negative to say about this course!!
Other Thoughts: Thank you to all of the volunteers for all of your hard work building and maintaining this gem!

Great Course

2-4    7/15/2012   10/10/2012
Review By: steven2361
This review was updated on 10/14/2012
Pros: The elevation here and design is very well done. There are terrific concrete tees. Hole 2 plays straight uphill and is very unique in that it goes way right and uphill. I've never seen another hole like it. There are some great par 4s here and plenty of unique shot shaping required in the woods. Some of my favorite holes include hole 5, a tough right dog leg to a treacherous sloped island green. Oh, and there is ob the entire right side of the fairway. Hole 10 is a great par 3 that requires an uphill, long, straight shot. 18 is a fun downhill straight shot with ob directly behind the basket.
Cons: Some holes are weaker than the rest of the course like hole 3. It is a short downhill hole. I dislike how hole 7 is a tweener hole. It cannot be 2d unless you hit a big uphill putt. Hole 12 is a very short uphill hole but it has an awesome green. The back nine is considerably shorter than the front nine. There is a long walk back to the parking lot and hole 1 after the last hole.
Other Thoughts: I love Charlotte golf. Good work gentlemen.

Must Play

1    10/4/2012   10/4/2012
Review By: the_ox
Pros: -Course is very easy to navigate
-Fairways are designed well and are very fair
-Elevation and water are used wonderfully through out the course
-Nice use of rock formations for basket positions
-Benches on most holes which are greatly appreciated
-Most courses only have one signature hole, this has at least 3
Cons: -Not beginner friendly. You basically have to be able to throw over 250 or you're looking at lost plastic. This isn't a con in my book as I prefer non-casual courses

-A lot of comments about hiking. There is a ton of hiking to be done. After many of the hikes you are rewarded by fantastic hole design and interesting variety of shots. There really are no connector holes on this course which is greatly appreciated.
Other Thoughts: Played this on a disc golf trip to Charlotte. It was the 8th course we played on our trip. We played it after a morning round at Plantation Ruins and Renaissance Gold. Even though the group had played over 14,000 feet of golf, all of us were excited to keep playing as we discovered the holes. Instant classic and moved into my top 3 along with Renaissance Gold and Hawk Hollow.

Many thanks to the builders (Wit & CTP) of the course, who we met after playing. A lot of time and effort was put into this and it shows. Can't wait to play the next course they think up!

My Favorite Course in Charlotte

5+    8/16/2012   9/1/2012
Review By: PhatPatW
This review was updated on 8/16/2013
Pros: This course has everything to offer. Large elevation changes with big drops and upshots. Water does come into play on a few holes but shouldn't be a problem for more skilled players. This course is mostly in the wood and is very well maintained. There are also wide open soccer fields which are always good for some driver practice before you play.
Cons: Once you start there are not many opportunities to leave the course especially between 8-15.

Seeing the Evolution

5+    8/18/2012   8/21/2012
Review By: Toro71
This review was updated on 8/24/2012
Pros: Elevation: Really, nowhere else to get the variety of elevation change in Charlotte, except of course for Stumpy. I've been playing this course since the baskets went in, and though it's still a tough hump, the work done on little bridges, stairs, etc, have done so much to ease the walk. Amazing job on the navigation, CDGC.

Challenge: At my intermediate skill level, I like the level of challenget this course presents. OK, you're going to have a Nevin flashback or two here, but it's not impossible from start to finish. There are "pitfall" holes that can ruin your day. But smart play at the right times, and this course can be had.

T-pads: Obviously, this course improved once the natural pads were history, and I can speak from experience that the back nine was not an easy pour.

Layout: there was a real danger to be repetitive here, but the holes around the rock formation break up the round nicely. It's not like the Web, with one 325 ft tunnel shot after another. Some people have beefs with risky basket locations...welcome to Charlotte, where we don't like flat turf circles with 10m radii.
Again, the amenities have made this course jump a full "disc" in rating for me. The deck on 12 needs a grill!

18 is a truly great finishing hole. Tough climb, but a bench to rest your weary feet, great view down to the basket, and out into the park, not TOO much of a chance to he a tree 100 ft off the ground and watch your Buzz go native.
Cons: I just don't like #2. I have no problem with "top-o-the-world" or "bottom-pf-the-world" shots, etc. But 2 is just a buzzkill to play. The entire fairway is a 45 degree incline, with some rough, so ANY shot requires climbing around on the cliff. "Belay On!"

I'd just like to see this hole reworked some, so it doesn't feel like such an obligation. Like "I'd love to play Smith today, but then I 'have" to play 2. Overexaggeration for effect, but you get me. I think the hole can be reworked to incorporate the slope, etc, without it being so zzzzzzzzzz.
Other Thoughts: --Like the little lounge area by 4 basket/5/7 tee.

--hole 2's really my main beef. Otherwise, as teh finishing touches go in here, this thing could make it to 4-5.