Charlotte, NC
Robert L. Smith Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #9 (Taken 1/2015)

The Cure for Disc Golf Blues

1    12/30/2012   1/2/2013
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: The Robert L. Smith course in Charlotte is a great course and instant favorite of mine. Offering challenging, and very shapely fairways featuring elements of extreme elevation changes, a few long distance holes, some water, and moderate to heavy woods almost all the way around. Each hole has its own merits, with several stunners. I particularly remember the proximity to the water on holes 4 and 7, the candy cane hairpin fairway on 9, and a fantastic finishing hole on 18. I think hole 13 had the only V shaped tee pad I have ever seen, giving options to drive the split fairways. I saw a number of interesting trees and liked the surroundings of this course. I would like to see it in the summer with leaf canopy on the trees.

Like most of the course I have played in Charlotte, the course is well designed, and the tee pads, baskets and signage are all high quality and complete. I really thought the benches, stairs, and bridges were great as well. There are restrooms at the beginning of the course and a few garbage cans around the course. A police officer was keeping an eye on the park entrance from his cruiser the entire time we were there.
Cons: The planes arriving at and departing the nearby airport were my biggest distraction, but nothing can be done about that. Some footing issues for me due to leafy debris and some wet ground, not that bad considering the rain in the days prior to my visit. The signs and pads were quality through the course, but there were not as many benches on the back 9, maybe more are in the works. My only real reason to complain was the poor play from me all day. Such a great course, and I really stunk it up. A few good throws, but couldn't really even get out of the box most of the day.
Other Thoughts: I have not given a 5 to any course yet, and rarely 4.5 ratings. I feel Robert L. Smith disc golf course deserves the phenomenal status, for the terrific blend of scenic beauty, fun, challenge, great layout, and quality equipment. I realize there is not the versatility of extra boxes or pin positions, and maybe some might find this course too difficult, but it is as close to perfection as few other courses I have played. If I had played better, or hit an ace I might have rewarded my first 5. Reminds me of Golden Hills DGC in Blacksburg, VA.

1    10/20/2012   10/22/2012
Review By: CHAINSEEKER66
Pros: Played this course for the first time over the weekend..and I love it!!,This course is NOT for a beginners. Great variety and ELEVATION changes. Be ready for a work out. I will definitely be coming back for this one.
Cons: It would be nice if hole 9 were closer to the parking lot so you could get refreshments but I just packed more water on my second round.
Other Thoughts: I have to say the CDGC keeps our area courses in tip top shape and this course is no exception. When we started our second round there was a couple of guys on hole two weed eating the hill. These guys deserve a big pat on the back as does all the CDGC.

One of the most interesting courses ever

5+    10/3/2012   10/15/2012
Review By: Nlicare18
Pros: Excellent variety. A little cit of everything. Elevation- OB- Water- right turns- left turns- did i mention elevation??
The moment you walk onto this course you can tell that it is something special and that a ton of work has gone into making this place incredible. I feel the course designers did a terrific job with the land provided. It is a beast to walk and play- but very fun and enjoyable. There are hand built benches and a huge deck right off of a teepad. I would highly recommend playing this course if you are nearby!
Cons: My score- nah just kidding. You have to be able to throw several different types of shots to score well. Challenging and rewarding. I dont really have anything negative to say about this course!!
Other Thoughts: Thank you to all of the volunteers for all of your hard work building and maintaining this gem!

Great Course

2-4    7/15/2012   10/10/2012
Review By: steven2361
This review was updated on 10/14/2012
Pros: The elevation here and design is very well done. There are terrific concrete tees. Hole 2 plays straight uphill and is very unique in that it goes way right and uphill. I've never seen another hole like it. There are some great par 4s here and plenty of unique shot shaping required in the woods. Some of my favorite holes include hole 5, a tough right dog leg to a treacherous sloped island green. Oh, and there is ob the entire right side of the fairway. Hole 10 is a great par 3 that requires an uphill, long, straight shot. 18 is a fun downhill straight shot with ob directly behind the basket.
Cons: Some holes are weaker than the rest of the course like hole 3. It is a short downhill hole. I dislike how hole 7 is a tweener hole. It cannot be 2d unless you hit a big uphill putt. Hole 12 is a very short uphill hole but it has an awesome green. The back nine is considerably shorter than the front nine. There is a long walk back to the parking lot and hole 1 after the last hole.
Other Thoughts: I love Charlotte golf. Good work gentlemen.

Must Play

1    10/4/2012   10/4/2012
Review By: the_ox
Pros: -Course is very easy to navigate
-Fairways are designed well and are very fair
-Elevation and water are used wonderfully through out the course
-Nice use of rock formations for basket positions
-Benches on most holes which are greatly appreciated
-Most courses only have one signature hole, this has at least 3
Cons: -Not beginner friendly. You basically have to be able to throw over 250 or you're looking at lost plastic. This isn't a con in my book as I prefer non-casual courses

-A lot of comments about hiking. There is a ton of hiking to be done. After many of the hikes you are rewarded by fantastic hole design and interesting variety of shots. There really are no connector holes on this course which is greatly appreciated.
Other Thoughts: Played this on a disc golf trip to Charlotte. It was the 8th course we played on our trip. We played it after a morning round at Plantation Ruins and Renaissance Gold. Even though the group had played over 14,000 feet of golf, all of us were excited to keep playing as we discovered the holes. Instant classic and moved into my top 3 along with Renaissance Gold and Hawk Hollow.

Many thanks to the builders (Wit & CTP) of the course, who we met after playing. A lot of time and effort was put into this and it shows. Can't wait to play the next course they think up!

My Favorite Course in Charlotte

5+    8/16/2012   9/1/2012
Review By: PhatPatW
This review was updated on 8/16/2013
Pros: This course has everything to offer. Large elevation changes with big drops and upshots. Water does come into play on a few holes but shouldn't be a problem for more skilled players. This course is mostly in the wood and is very well maintained. There are also wide open soccer fields which are always good for some driver practice before you play.
Cons: Once you start there are not many opportunities to leave the course especially between 8-15.

Seeing the Evolution

5+    8/18/2012   8/21/2012
Review By: Toro71
This review was updated on 8/24/2012
Pros: Elevation: Really, nowhere else to get the variety of elevation change in Charlotte, except of course for Stumpy. I've been playing this course since the baskets went in, and though it's still a tough hump, the work done on little bridges, stairs, etc, have done so much to ease the walk. Amazing job on the navigation, CDGC.

Challenge: At my intermediate skill level, I like the level of challenget this course presents. OK, you're going to have a Nevin flashback or two here, but it's not impossible from start to finish. There are "pitfall" holes that can ruin your day. But smart play at the right times, and this course can be had.

T-pads: Obviously, this course improved once the natural pads were history, and I can speak from experience that the back nine was not an easy pour.

Layout: there was a real danger to be repetitive here, but the holes around the rock formation break up the round nicely. It's not like the Web, with one 325 ft tunnel shot after another. Some people have beefs with risky basket locations...welcome to Charlotte, where we don't like flat turf circles with 10m radii.
Again, the amenities have made this course jump a full "disc" in rating for me. The deck on 12 needs a grill!

18 is a truly great finishing hole. Tough climb, but a bench to rest your weary feet, great view down to the basket, and out into the park, not TOO much of a chance to he a tree 100 ft off the ground and watch your Buzz go native.
Cons: I just don't like #2. I have no problem with "top-o-the-world" or "bottom-pf-the-world" shots, etc. But 2 is just a buzzkill to play. The entire fairway is a 45 degree incline, with some rough, so ANY shot requires climbing around on the cliff. "Belay On!"

I'd just like to see this hole reworked some, so it doesn't feel like such an obligation. Like "I'd love to play Smith today, but then I 'have" to play 2. Overexaggeration for effect, but you get me. I think the hole can be reworked to incorporate the slope, etc, without it being so zzzzzzzzzz.
Other Thoughts: --Like the little lounge area by 4 basket/5/7 tee.

--hole 2's really my main beef. Otherwise, as teh finishing touches go in here, this thing could make it to 4-5.

Its Cool, its cool, its flukey

5+    7/20/2012   8/15/2012
Review By: Steelo
This review was updated on 8/26/2012
Pros: Great scenery, great use of elevation. Signature holes like #18. I also really like holes 2 and 3 with the significant elevation changes. Baskets placed near the large rocks on 9 and 12 just makes me smile because it is so original and creative.
Course directors and volunteers have done awesome work to make the course asthetically pleasing. The benches are the best!
Cons: Alot of roll aways near the baskets. In particular hole 7. It would be very helpful to have an area near the basket that is flat that could be aimed at during an approach shot to the green. I have seen so many bad roll aways on this hole that end up in the creek even though the shot orginally landed 5 feet from the pole. I understand disc golf can be flukey but R.L really exploits bad rolls and even more punishment from OB. (maybe just a part of hilly courses)
Other Thoughts: This course will wear you out from the tricky terrain. In tournament play their are some long back ups at holes 4, 5, and 7.
Its a great course to practice and a must see for out of towners

In Charlotte? Play this course!

5+    7/18/2012   8/15/2012
Review By: Script
This review was updated on 1/28/2013
Pros: Note: This is a biased review, but an attempt at being objective.

This course has a little bit of everything. Some really tough holes, balanced with some refreshingly short holes.

The course starts off with a nice new practice basket installed just for worlds. Little touches of hard work show up at the very beginning where one of many cedar benches is located, with some nicely installed steps that lead you to the tee of hole 1.

As the course progresses, you throw down the woods, up the woods, around the woods and between the woods (as you can tell, Avery Jenkins won't like this course). What's great about this course is that every fairway is fair. If you don't have the shot to shape the hole, it's your fault, not the courses.

As everyone has mentioned, hole 12 is the BEST easy hole in Charlotte. A simple 170 foot hole with beautiful scenery with a great place to take a picture break.
Cons: It's not perfect. Not even close. This course demands tons of work by nature and will be in continual development. Lot's of areas are still treacherous to walk.

Also, unfortunately, there are 2 sewage vents located in the middle of great holes. It's kinda too bad, but really there is nothing you can do about it.

There is a mando on 9 that I feel is a little ridiculous. If the mando wasn't there, you can get a 3 often with a bad shot. The mando forces the turn, but the design flaw is that from the tee, often you won't know if you made it or not. In my opinion, this is the worst hole on the course. I think it needs to be either longer with no mando, or shorter.

There isn't a variety of tee pads or basket. So far the decision to play RL is a one course decision.
Other Thoughts: This course shined it Worlds, and will continue to. The people behind this course are insanely dedicated to it's success.

Rumors are that in the future, this course will add 9 more holes. I really look forward to that day!

If you're in Charlotte, please do yourself a favor and play this course!

(EDIT) Ever since reviewing this course, it's just gotten better. How cool! It wouldn't take much to be a 5 star course. A couple extra stairs here and there could be helpful after a rainy day.

Phenomenal Evolution

5+    8/12/2012   8/12/2012
Review By: tom12003
Pros: Played the first ever round at RL (after installing the baskets) with the designers and worker bees on May 30, 2011; we all lifted too many celebratory toasts after each pin installation. The course was extremely raw with no amenities; what a metamorphosis in its evolution from then to being ready for the 2012 Worlds. It easily jumped from a 3+ to a solid 4 course during the past 14 months. Congrats to the designers and a few other hard workers.

All you have to do is view the "patio" area behind #12's tee to appreciate whats been done. The stairs and goat paths on the course's difficult slopes are all part of June's efforts to get the course ready for the World's; as are many of the bridges and benches.

Many other reviewers have described the course's attributes and as I agree with most of them, particularly Bennybennybenny's review, I'll not be redundant.
Cons: The course is a real hike, so be ready with ample water and good footwear. Only restroom facilities are near the beginning and after the round.

It is not beginner friendly. 880+ players should find it a challenge with some satisfying shots and keep them coming back to try to improve. As a player only a few years from Legends, I am very satisfied with an 8-10 over round.
Other Thoughts: Some reviewers questioned the marking of OB lines (many 20-40' from the water hazards); trust me, I've seen the water exceed the OB markers during 2-3 days of heavy rains.

This is a must play Charlotte course! West side of town--start at RL Smith in the morning, then 10 minutes to Renny (a 4.5 course), and then another 10 minutes for a "relaxing" round at the Plantation Ruins (a 3.5+ course). Great 3 course day! Then get some good suds and BBQ.