Marietta, GA
Oregon Park Share
Uploaded By: AtlDuke Hole #6 (Taken 7/2011)
3 / 260ft.   3 / 345ft.   3 / 374ft.   4 / 459ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #6 Gold Tee

A Decent Course

1    3/12/2014   3/27/2014
Review By: moore1927
Pros: We liked Oregon Park. The entrance (first impression) is not too pretty, so I definitely started off feeling like, "oh man this course is going to be lame". But it turned out to be a fun course with a variety of holes. There were some long and some short holes, with some open and some tunneled fairways.
Cons: There are a couple of places where the course is unsightly. Not bad, just not very pleasing either. For a while I thought "Man where are we? This is weird", and then I turn a corner and I go "Oh wow, this is a nice park!" So it's kind of inconsistent in that sense. There are also a few of confusing spots, where we had to find out where we were going, which direction we were shooting etc. And some of the fairways crossed or were very close to each other.
Other Thoughts: There are a lot of people that just walk around in the park, and the disc golf course is smack in the middle of that. So we had to be mindful of people walking right through the fairways.

FOOOOOOOOOOORE!

5+    12/29/2011   12/30/2011
Review By: atl scott
Pros: Nice new baskets - The new innova discatcher pro baskets for the gold layout are great.

The re-design incorporates more land and tougher holes.

The tee signs are nice and are very clearly marked with distances to each pin, etc.

The few concrete pads that are installed are a little slick (no texturing) but are nice and large and level.

Lots of parking right at hole 1
Cons: Dangerous - I felt like I was possibly in danger of being hit by another shot on at least half of my shots.

Confusing - The lack of proper signage makes finding your way around this course a challenge at times. The different layouts only add to this.

Thorny - There are more thorns on this course than on all of Charlotte's courses combined (including in the direct vicinity of tees and baskets, as well as on fairways and walkways).

Mud pads - These are slick of course and mostly not leveled. There are tripper stumps on some of the pads.

Strange transitions - Some holes you only have to walk less than 50 feet to the next pad (conspicuously close to the previous basket/fairway) and some it seems like you walk a quarter mile. Sometimes you walk over/past/through more than one other hole/teepad/basket to get to the next tee. The lack of signage between holes 2-3, 5-6, and 17-18 are the most egregious. The course does not flow well overall and several hole locations seem forced.

Usually quite busy - This doesn't have to be a con for a course but it is here. There are often lots of new players and large groups, many of which do not know (or possibly care about) rules and etiquette. The multi-pad/pin layout makes it especially tough to manage your way around the course and all the other players.

Old baskets - The old baskets on the silver layout are in beat condition. It's great to have the option to play them and they seem to catch well enough but honestly they are just rough.
Other Thoughts: OP was my "home course" for most of my disc golf career until I recently moved away. It has always been a park with its own special set of issues but has always been a fun place to play.

I have played all the different layouts besides gold tee to silver basket more than once now and my first impression still sticks with me (although not as strongly as at first), that I miss the old course.

Silver to Silver layout seems fun and easy and I took my young cousins to play there over the holidays and had fun. Overall it is too short for me to play on a regular basis but several holes such as 4 and 7 stood out as holes I really enjoyed.

Silver to Gold layout is probably the layout with the most properly distanced hole designs. There are many holes in the 270-370' range which allow for decent scoring separation. There are still a few weird holes that seem like afterthoughts (with silver to silver and gold to gold taking preference to good design on silver to gold). Holes 6 and 7 come to mind as some of the best holes on this layout.

Gold to Gold has a lot of holes that are just unreachable in 1 but don't leave tough upshots so that a 3 is practically guaranteed and a 2 and a 4 seem like they would be rarities. It is fun to unleash some drives, but not so fun to par out over and over. Probably not much scoring separation here. Some of the most challenging and fun holes are 1, 3, and 8.

One of the things that most concerns me with the layout is the likelihood of people being hit by discs. Hole 2 is way too close to hole 1 (includes a hill so it's blind which only makes it worse). Hole 6's gold teepad is dangerously close to hole 5's fairway and is in a blind area from 5's gold pad. Hole 8's teepads are way too close to hole 7's baskets. Hole 13's gold tee is ridiculously close to hole 12's basket (it's a relatively short downhill hole and the tee is just past the basket - BRILLIANT!). Hole 17's gold layout is another short downhill hole and if you go 20 feet past the basket you are in the direct flight path of another tee that is 70 feet away.

In the 3 rounds I played this week at this park a disc from someone else's group landed or came within 30' of us at least 5 times and twice someone played through the hole we were playing on (on a different layout) without asking, one of which almost hit my 13 year old cousin and yelled FORE about 1 second before the disc hit a tree right above his head.

I'm glad the park got its chance at a re-design and hopefully things will continue to progress. It seems however that the work to install the course was done and not much (at least not enough) has been done since.

All things considered the fun factor on this course is low which is what garners the low rating. Improved pads, signage, and thorn removal would make this at least a 3-star course, and a redesign that incorporated the safety issues would increase it to a 3.5.

Waste of Resourse

1    12/10/2011   12/14/2011
Review By: New2Disc
Pros: Didn't really see any !!!
Cons: I'm a born again DG player, just restarted after a 30 years layoff !!! Being excited to play all the coarses in my area. I had been told about Oregan Park, by a friend. This has to be the biggest waste of perfect property in the game of DG !!! Now I must admit, I don't know what the designers had as far as rules to go by. But right off the bat, they use the old golf tee area, as a practice area, and use the old golf practice area as the first fairway. Which in turn made the first tee pad, right off the parking lot, ( I mean "right" off the parking lot ) when right behind the building is a perfectly beautiful tee area ??? Now I never saw the old 9 hole coarse, much less the old 18 hole coarse. But this design has no flow what's so ever !!! And really how hard is it to put up signs, or cover incorrect numbers on baskets, especially if you design it so it doesn't make a bit of sense ??? I never did find 18, and left without playing it, and a little aggravated to boot, which as we all know, is not the motive for playing in the first place.
Other Thoughts: If I were to be put in charge of redoing this coarse. I would pull most of the baskets, bust the concrete off of them, and start over !!! Use the entire property, and have 9 end up back at the building, and also, have 18 end up back on top of the tee area behind the building. And use the golf practice area along the road as a practice area !!! Oh, and put up signs !!!

5+    8/27/2011   8/27/2011
Review By: terryduthu
This review was updated on 9/17/2011
Pros: Very close to my folks, so easy to play when im in town for holidays.
Cons: Wish the new layout integrated more with the open space in the empty Golf Ball driving range. Very cluttered. Bad Signage. Confusing.
Other Thoughts: Fun course, but White Oak is just right around the corner, and is more fun.

Oregon Park

1    6/11/2011   6/13/2011
Review By: 3OrangeWhips
Pros:
Clean, safe multipurpose park with baseball, tennis, pavilions, etc.
Two separate tee pads and baskets on all 18 holes; lots of different ways to play.
Natural tee pads are very level and spacious.
Decent mix of lefty/righty shots.
The silver tees/baskets are excellent for beginners/kids.
Lengthy new holes #1 and #3 are a good way to stretch out your arm at the start of a round.
Great use of elevation on the new holes #1, #2, #3, #9 and #10.
Terrific mountain views from the new piece of land.
The wooden tee signs make it easy to locate the tee pads.
No conflicts with other park activities.
Cons:
Brand new course re-design that needs some kinks worked out.
Very disjointed layout; feels like you play a few baskets over here, then a few over there, then some more in this area, and so on.
Impossible to navigate without the map, and some holes are hard to navigate with the map.
Very easy to wander into adjacent fairways and harms way--be careful!
Long walks between #3 and #4, #4 and #5, and #15 and #16.
No way to get off the course after #18 without crossing the #4 fairway.
Really long walk back to the parking lot from #18.
The #3 silver basket is either missing or not installed yet.
The old Oregon Park, one of my favorites, is gone forever :(
Other Thoughts: I was sad to see the old Oregon Park layout and all of its charm go away. The new layout has lots of promise but needs some serious tweaks here and there. You can clearly see a lot of hard work has gone into this redesign and I have no doubt the new layout will soon be just as fantastic as the old one.