Marietta, GA
Oregon Park Share
Uploaded By: AtlDuke Hole #3 (Taken 7/2011)
3 / 314ft.   3 / 324ft.   4 / 594ft.   4 / 605ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #3 Silver Tee

< Prev 1 2 3
Well balanced

5+    7/1/2014   8/4/2014
Review By: iLessThan3DiscGolf
Pros: ~Concrete pads on every tee for both layouts
~Balanced mix of open and wooded holes
~Two 18-hole courses on-site share same fairways, allowing for 4 different layouts to play
~Can change up the layout to create different challenges
~Silver layout is a fantastic beginner's course
~Practice basket w/ putting maker/locations
~Includes a driving range
~Any water in play is easily retrievable
Cons: ~No on-site facilities other than a port-a-john
~Maintenance has been unreliable; grass can be waist-high at times in summer
~Areas of the course do not drain well, resulting in flooded/muddy tee-pads
~Mixed-use park means kids & runners will be in the way; is infrequent though
~One or two blind-shots require a spotter if course is busy
~Course can be very crowded on the weekends
~Signs are deteriorating & need updated
~Getting around can be somewhat confusing for new visitors
Other Thoughts: Oregon Park is overall a fantastic place to spend the day playing disc golf. With two courses sharing the same layout, it leaving the possibility for 72 different holes! On-site practice facility is a great touch, and a good place to warm up or practice your game.

Park is close to Kennesaw State University and sees a lot of the college crowd fill up the course on the weekends. The KSU disc golf team, however, is a cool bunch and is very welcoming to new golfers.

Park does need some on-site amenities, including a water fountain and bathrooms within reach. Currently, you have to stop mid-round and hike up to the baseball fields if you require a porcelain throne for your business.

If you are a newcomer, or want to introduce friends to the game, the Silver layout is a great place to start.

The local club has put a tremendous amount of work into the course and it shows.

**Important Notes**
~~When driving to the park, the directions send you to the wrong entrance. Skip the large Oregon Park sign, and drive to the top of the hill to what looks like an old driving range. This is the disc golf command center.
~~When navigating from hole 2, to hole 3, walk parallel to the pavilion towards the tree-line. Continue past the first pad you see (hole 14) and hole 3 will be at the edge of the woods. Throw uphill along the trees

~~As of July, 2014 Silver 10's basket was stolen and is still missing.

A Decent Course

1    3/12/2014   3/27/2014
Review By: moore1927
Pros: We liked Oregon Park. The entrance (first impression) is not too pretty, so I definitely started off feeling like, "oh man this course is going to be lame". But it turned out to be a fun course with a variety of holes. There were some long and some short holes, with some open and some tunneled fairways.
Cons: There are a couple of places where the course is unsightly. Not bad, just not very pleasing either. For a while I thought "Man where are we? This is weird", and then I turn a corner and I go "Oh wow, this is a nice park!" So it's kind of inconsistent in that sense. There are also a few of confusing spots, where we had to find out where we were going, which direction we were shooting etc. And some of the fairways crossed or were very close to each other.
Other Thoughts: There are a lot of people that just walk around in the park, and the disc golf course is smack in the middle of that. So we had to be mindful of people walking right through the fairways.

Home sweet home

5+    6/20/2014   2/6/2014
Review By: Moose33
This review was updated on 9/7/2014
Pros: I've decided to totally re-write my review of my home course, as the old one didn't quite do it justice.

Oregon park is a large multi use park, with baseball fields, tennis courts, playgrounds and a quality disc golf course.

As you drive up there is ample parking by the old swing time driving range building. It's the best course in the immediate area and stays pretty busy but you rarely struggle for parking.

By the first tee there is a great little warmup area with a practice basket and yellow bricks marking diverse lies in the circle.

Every hole has two too tees(all very nice concrete pads) and too baskets per hole.

You have the choice to play either the longer(gold) tees, the shorter(Silver) tees, or some combination of the two. I actually think throwing from the gold pads to the silver tees is the most challenging layout.

You start out with a couple of fairly open holes that give you some room for error on the old driving range field, but hole number three quickly challenges you, especially from the golf tees.

You throw through a tree tunnel up a hill and down to the basket, it's probably the most challenging hole one the grounds.

Four and five are open drives, but give has a fairly gaurded approach.

Six is a fun hole, you have to throw over some dogwood trees and then face a substantial right dogleg.

7-10 are shorter technical holes that will test you a little bit, and you might pull some shots out of your bag you might not otherwise use.

It opens up on 11-14, but there are some great tree lines and mandos that make those holes a hit harder.

The creek comes into play on 11(and if you shank 12) to add to the challenge.

15 is a tricky blind upshot that can be a big risk/ reward hole.

16/17 are the two most legit ace runs on the course, thy are both under 350 and easily reachable.

18 is a little tricky since throwing from the gold tees there is a telephone pole right where the ideal line would be, but it's pretty open after that.

The mix between woods/open, and the very nice elevation changes make it a fun place to play.
Cons: The layout is mostly good, and not too hard to follow, but the walk to 3 is a little perplexing and you could easily inconvenience someone on the 14th tee, as you have to cross right in front if their teepad to get to your destination.

This happens again on your way to 18 you pass right in front of the 14th tee again on a rather long walk to 18. There are signs there so it's not so bad.

A few spots, most notably the tee pads for 13 and 15 can get really wet and the area aroun them muddy, even when it hasn't rained much.

One thing that bugs me just a little is there is 200-300 yards of beautiful open field on the old driving range grounds that could make an epic bomb hole.

If you had made that number 3 and moved the number 14 golf teepad to where the number 3 gold is now it would make the flow much better.

Yes you lose a fun and challenging hole, but you gain a huge signature type hole and eliminate the worst bottleneck on the course at 3.

Some fairways could use mowing more thn they get it, but really it's a nice place.
Other Thoughts: My home course and a great place to play a round. One of the best in the North ATL metro, and it's improved a lot I'm the past year. Defiantly worth a round if your close.

Going, Going, Oregon

1    1/1/2014   1/12/2014
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Oregon Park is a nice course that will give you 18 holes with multiple looks on each. It has two tees and two baskets on every hole, and I liked the ratio of scattered trees to open space, as well as the subtle elevation changes. In terms of difficulty the course is average. Not too long, and not much water. Fun, but still beginner friendly. I thought the holes were well placed, so far as getting the most out of the land that is there to use. Good balance of left/right. The park is kept nicely, and there are plenty of benches and trash cans. I think I saw a vending machine and a port-o-potty near the parking lot. The local players are active on a regular basis, and really helped me negotiate my way around the confusing layout in places.
Cons: The park is nice, and the course is very functional, but the layout is a little crazy. More guidance between holes would be nice for visitors. It crosses over itself after holes 2 and 17. There are multiple tees, but the secondary set is not usually concrete. There are also two sets of baskets, and the secondary set have some pretty shoddy chains. All of this extra apparatus is cool for variety, but can be crowded close together in places. Be on the lookout for others throughout.

This was the first new course of the year for me, and I happened to arrive during a New Years Day bag tag event. The course was packed! I would have realized this right away if I parked in the right place. If you are visiting the first time, drive past the first park entrance and park near the building. Hole 1 is right there. Pace was very slow, but the locals did help by leading me to the next tee when I lost the way.
Other Thoughts: Oregon Park was fully complete, and well kept, but still missing any big time wows. All holes had several options, but none blew me away. I'm basing the 3.5 rating more on the solid 18 holes with lots of options. There is not a big fun factor and some layout flaws that cost points. I wish I had better timing for this visit. With a group on almost every hole, you really see where the fairways come near other holes tees or baskets. The amount of people on the course slowed my progress, but probably reduced the amount of time I would have spent looking for tees. I like the course, and would recommend it to others. Layout is not totally intuitive, so arrange for a guide, or at least print a map. Not the best in the area, but still quite good.

Solid Course

5+    12/2/2013   12/10/2013
Review By: AD23
Pros: This Course is one of the best in the area!! There is 4 possible ways to play this course Gold to Gold, Silver to Silver, Gold to Silver and Silver to Gold. That's 72 holes in one park!

There seems to be an active maintenance crew at the park because it's always well maintained, grass is cut, pads are clear, and fairways are clear.

There is a good combination of short and long holes as well as backhand and forehead holes assuming your right handed.

Course seems to be pretty active, which I enjoy, must mean something good is going on at the course if it's being played so much.

I also enjoy the different types of elevation in the course there is a wide range of uphill and downhill shots.

Also, local action with the Cobb County Disc Gold club every Tuesday and Thursdays.

Cons: Not too many cons with this course, however, I must say some of the signs are missing. Also, some of the silver baskets don't catch t0o well, Hole 3's silver basket is missing inner chains, hole 2 and 11 have gaps in the basket where a disc can actually fit through the a hole (happened to me twice). Not too big of an issue unless you're playing in a tournament there.
Other Thoughts: Overall, This is my favorite course in the Atlanta area. I like the 4 different layouts you can play. I also like that way this course is heading since it's re-design in 2011. Every time I play there is a new addition to the course!

Also, If you're looking for a challenge they have weekly action on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Tuesdays is singles and is free entry, $10 all in. Thursdays is doubles, $5 to play, with an additional $10 of side action or $15 all in. There is usually a good showing in the spring, summer, and early fall with about 15 to 25 people per night.

Nice course but get ready to hunt for the Tees

1    11/16/2013   11/18/2013
Review By: shadykiller8
Pros: great course that will make you utilize every kind of shot you can think of ....
Cons: signage and course flow is boarder line horrible. spent 20 minutes looking for hole 1 and another 10 looking for hole14 gold tee which was about 100 feet back in the woods.
Other Thoughts: great course.. but it could really go for some new signs and arrows to guide visitors. love the fact that you can play silver and gold tees, but I ended up playing the gold Tees only strictly because they were the only ones that had concrete pads...

Good for locals, bad for visitors

1    7/6/2013   7/8/2013
Review By: tampabay
Pros: -Variety. This course covers most of the shots you can think of. Uphill, downhill, dogleg and left, short, long, it does it all. Whatever kind of hole you like, you will find one for you!
-Challenge. This course is difficult but rewards staying on the fairways. There are a couple longer holes (I believe 3-7, all marked as par 4) but you still have to hit your gaps or you will struggle.
-Distance. I think this has a good variety of distance. I kind of wish all the par 4's weren't lumped together but that's preference.
-Multiple Difficulties. There are four different ways to play this course. Really helpful for different skill level players.
-Baskets/Tees. All of the baskets and tees seemed to be in great condition, however the gold baskets (pro) are clearly better than the amateur baskets.
Cons: -Layout. If you are traveling through and you are only going to play this course once, don't play it. The layout is extremely frustrating and there are many opportunities to get hit by an errant disc. Some of the fairways play through each other and on one hole I could see four different baskets at once. Some of the locals also played the alternate tees/baskets even when I was on that hole. Luckily, I turned around in time to dodge the disc flying at my head, which came from a group of 4 trying to play through me by myself.
-Navigation. I'm listing layout and navigation as two different problems, because aside from the danger of the layout, it is also very difficult to find the next tee. I believe 14 was across an open field and behind some tennis courts.
-Filler Holes. I think this is a problem with a lot of courses but I would say that it is here as well. There are a few holes that it feels like just got thrown in because they couldn't think of anything to do. If they cleaned up the two or three holes that seem bland then I think they would have a great job of variety.
Other Thoughts: I am aware that I had a bad experience so this review is biased, but I also think that my experience is somewhat evidence of the climate of this course. It seems like the locals all love it, which often means that visitors don't.
This was my least favorite course that I have ever played.

5+    4/7/2013   4/15/2013
Review By: zjones9
Pros: The fact that this is 4 full courses in one is awesome! The design/layout really makes good use of the available land.
Cons: Lacks any major elevation changes, big water holes, or fun/interesting mandos, though the holes are very fun by themselves.

Will Play Again

2-4    3/9/2013   3/19/2013
Review By: JSurmann
Pros: Course flows in and out of wooded, hilly and open areas. A great mix of terrain in one course.

Two sets of tees (concrete for gold/long, mostly dirt some concrete for silver/short) and 2 sets of backers per hole ensures that everyone can enjoy this course. Course navigation is quite easy, if you look at the map first. 18's pin puts you within sight of 1's tee pad. Gold pins (long) are newer Innova Discatchers and Silver (shorts) are Chainstars that are in decent shape but show their age from when the old course was redesigned into this new course.

Concrete tees are average size, and are in good repair. Many of the holes have a nice wooden bench that are in good shape as well. Trash cans were also abundant and well used.

Holes are well laid out to keep cross traffic and interference with others in the park to a minimum and include straight, left and right shots. I would say that a lefty has the same advantage as a righty does on this course. Brush was cleared back when I was there, grass mowed short and it was very clean. A few blind holes were exciting (3,5,13 & 15). A few elevated tee pads were nice and started off on hole 1.
Cons: Signs were laminated pieces or paper stapled to posts at each hole. I'm sure the course is saving money to get new ones though. Not a big deal but worth mentioning.

A few holes I felt were unfair, namely 15 gold-gold. Had to throw through a cluster of trees, up a hill towards a blind basket. It could use one more tree cleaned out.

Note that neither of these issues will deter me from coming back. I throughly enjoyed myself.
Other Thoughts: Signature hole: It's tough to chose a signature hole none of them really stand out and make you go, "I want to unload my bag". I suppose 14 would be a good candidate. Throw downhill, from the woods, into a clearing, into the woods to find a nice nestled basket 400'+ from the tee.

When moving from hole 2 to 3 get to the top of the ridge by 2's basket and look towards the other basket at the top of the ridge. That is 18's basket. Walk towards that and past is into the woods. When you are on the other side of the woods, look left for #3. Most likely you will end up near #14, just keep going.

Solid Course

2-4    3/15/2013   3/18/2013
Review By: Discjunkie89
Pros: Gold to Gold is a lot of fun for doubles. Also the course is a great mixture of open and trees. I drove 2 hours to play it and can't wait to go back for 3 more rounds! You can play silver to silver, silver to gold, gold to silver, or gold to gold.
Cons: The silver baskets are really old and spit out discs quite a bit. They are the old discraft baskets and some of them don't have the inner chains. Also some have the innova bottom baskets on them (I saw one I can remember) and the a few of the others are pretty beat up. Also the silver pads are dirt pads most of the time.
Other Thoughts: It was a lot of fun but like a said a few baskets can be a pain with the spit outs on shots that hit dead center of chains because the baskets are so old.

< Prev 1 2 3