Marietta, GA
Oregon Park Share
Uploaded By: AtlDuke Hole #13 (Taken 7/2011)
3 / 234ft.   3 / 284ft.   3 / 264ft.   3 / 323ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #13 Gold Tee

Nice course but get ready to hunt for the Tees

1    11/16/2013   11/18/2013
Review By: shadykiller8
Pros: great course that will make you utilize every kind of shot you can think of ....
Cons: signage and course flow is boarder line horrible. spent 20 minutes looking for hole 1 and another 10 looking for hole14 gold tee which was about 100 feet back in the woods.
Other Thoughts: great course.. but it could really go for some new signs and arrows to guide visitors. love the fact that you can play silver and gold tees, but I ended up playing the gold Tees only strictly because they were the only ones that had concrete pads...

Good for locals, bad for visitors

1    7/6/2013   7/8/2013
Review By: tampabay
Pros: -Variety. This course covers most of the shots you can think of. Uphill, downhill, dogleg and left, short, long, it does it all. Whatever kind of hole you like, you will find one for you!
-Challenge. This course is difficult but rewards staying on the fairways. There are a couple longer holes (I believe 3-7, all marked as par 4) but you still have to hit your gaps or you will struggle.
-Distance. I think this has a good variety of distance. I kind of wish all the par 4's weren't lumped together but that's preference.
-Multiple Difficulties. There are four different ways to play this course. Really helpful for different skill level players.
-Baskets/Tees. All of the baskets and tees seemed to be in great condition, however the gold baskets (pro) are clearly better than the amateur baskets.
Cons: -Layout. If you are traveling through and you are only going to play this course once, don't play it. The layout is extremely frustrating and there are many opportunities to get hit by an errant disc. Some of the fairways play through each other and on one hole I could see four different baskets at once. Some of the locals also played the alternate tees/baskets even when I was on that hole. Luckily, I turned around in time to dodge the disc flying at my head, which came from a group of 4 trying to play through me by myself.
-Navigation. I'm listing layout and navigation as two different problems, because aside from the danger of the layout, it is also very difficult to find the next tee. I believe 14 was across an open field and behind some tennis courts.
-Filler Holes. I think this is a problem with a lot of courses but I would say that it is here as well. There are a few holes that it feels like just got thrown in because they couldn't think of anything to do. If they cleaned up the two or three holes that seem bland then I think they would have a great job of variety.
Other Thoughts: I am aware that I had a bad experience so this review is biased, but I also think that my experience is somewhat evidence of the climate of this course. It seems like the locals all love it, which often means that visitors don't.
This was my least favorite course that I have ever played.

5+    4/7/2013   4/15/2013
Review By: zjones9
Pros: The fact that this is 4 full courses in one is awesome! The design/layout really makes good use of the available land.
Cons: Lacks any major elevation changes, big water holes, or fun/interesting mandos, though the holes are very fun by themselves.

Will Play Again

2-4    3/9/2013   3/19/2013
Review By: JSurmann
Pros: Course flows in and out of wooded, hilly and open areas. A great mix of terrain in one course.

Two sets of tees (concrete for gold/long, mostly dirt some concrete for silver/short) and 2 sets of backers per hole ensures that everyone can enjoy this course. Course navigation is quite easy, if you look at the map first. 18's pin puts you within sight of 1's tee pad. Gold pins (long) are newer Innova Discatchers and Silver (shorts) are Chainstars that are in decent shape but show their age from when the old course was redesigned into this new course.

Concrete tees are average size, and are in good repair. Many of the holes have a nice wooden bench that are in good shape as well. Trash cans were also abundant and well used.

Holes are well laid out to keep cross traffic and interference with others in the park to a minimum and include straight, left and right shots. I would say that a lefty has the same advantage as a righty does on this course. Brush was cleared back when I was there, grass mowed short and it was very clean. A few blind holes were exciting (3,5,13 & 15). A few elevated tee pads were nice and started off on hole 1.
Cons: Signs were laminated pieces or paper stapled to posts at each hole. I'm sure the course is saving money to get new ones though. Not a big deal but worth mentioning.

A few holes I felt were unfair, namely 15 gold-gold. Had to throw through a cluster of trees, up a hill towards a blind basket. It could use one more tree cleaned out.

Note that neither of these issues will deter me from coming back. I throughly enjoyed myself.
Other Thoughts: Signature hole: It's tough to chose a signature hole none of them really stand out and make you go, "I want to unload my bag". I suppose 14 would be a good candidate. Throw downhill, from the woods, into a clearing, into the woods to find a nice nestled basket 400'+ from the tee.

When moving from hole 2 to 3 get to the top of the ridge by 2's basket and look towards the other basket at the top of the ridge. That is 18's basket. Walk towards that and past is into the woods. When you are on the other side of the woods, look left for #3. Most likely you will end up near #14, just keep going.

Solid Course

2-4    3/15/2013   3/18/2013
Review By: Discjunkie89
Pros: Gold to Gold is a lot of fun for doubles. Also the course is a great mixture of open and trees. I drove 2 hours to play it and can't wait to go back for 3 more rounds! You can play silver to silver, silver to gold, gold to silver, or gold to gold.
Cons: The silver baskets are really old and spit out discs quite a bit. They are the old discraft baskets and some of them don't have the inner chains. Also some have the innova bottom baskets on them (I saw one I can remember) and the a few of the others are pretty beat up. Also the silver pads are dirt pads most of the time.
Other Thoughts: It was a lot of fun but like a said a few baskets can be a pain with the spit outs on shots that hit dead center of chains because the baskets are so old.

Challenging, yet Confusing

5+    4/21/2012   4/21/2012
Review By: S.Cann
Pros: This course combines the things I liked about the original Oregon Park course and the second course that was in place on the old Bullard Stockton Property. So, good mix of open and wooded holes.

-Great Signs! Each hole had a nice wooden sign with a map of the hole which had both teepads and baskets labeled along with relevant landmarks.

-Nice variety in Lefty vs. Right Holes.

-Multiple layouts offer a variety of hole shapes and challenges.

-"Gold" Baskets are excellent.
Cons: -Navigation is a big issue. I know that there are several "Next tee" signs in place, but it's just not enough. I have played the old courses extensively, yet had a difficult time on some transitions (Hole 2 to Hole 3 is a bad one). More signage is necessary for better course flow.

-I like some of the newer holes, but find myself nostalgic for some of the original holes that are not a part of the new design.

-There are a lot of natural teepads on this course with roots and divots that can make a run up treacherous. This can easily be corrected with concrete or rubber teepads.

-Some fairways overlap or baskets play close to Tees.

-There are no places for drinking water on this course. A fountain at the "swing time" building would be awesome.

-A lot of the "Silver" baskets are in need of repair or, in some cases, need to be replaced.

-A lot of "One Discers" come out to this course on a regular basis. This is great for the growth of the sport, but makes things slow down a bit.
Other Thoughts: I understand the frustration from DGers who regularly play this course and had high expectations for the redesign, but overall I felt that the land was well utilized and was happy with the new course. Once you get navigation down and figure out which Teepads/Baskets correspond to which holes, this is a fun and challenging course for any level disc golfer.

5+    12/29/2011   12/30/2011
Review By: atl scott
Pros: Nice new baskets - The new innova discatcher pro baskets for the gold layout are great.

The re-design incorporates more land and tougher holes.

The tee signs are nice and are very clearly marked with distances to each pin, etc.

The few concrete pads that are installed are a little slick (no texturing) but are nice and large and level.

Lots of parking right at hole 1
Cons: Dangerous - I felt like I was possibly in danger of being hit by another shot on at least half of my shots.

Confusing - The lack of proper signage makes finding your way around this course a challenge at times. The different layouts only add to this.

Thorny - There are more thorns on this course than on all of Charlotte's courses combined (including in the direct vicinity of tees and baskets, as well as on fairways and walkways).

Mud pads - These are slick of course and mostly not leveled. There are tripper stumps on some of the pads.

Strange transitions - Some holes you only have to walk less than 50 feet to the next pad (conspicuously close to the previous basket/fairway) and some it seems like you walk a quarter mile. Sometimes you walk over/past/through more than one other hole/teepad/basket to get to the next tee. The lack of signage between holes 2-3, 5-6, and 17-18 are the most egregious. The course does not flow well overall and several hole locations seem forced.

Usually quite busy - This doesn't have to be a con for a course but it is here. There are often lots of new players and large groups, many of which do not know (or possibly care about) rules and etiquette. The multi-pad/pin layout makes it especially tough to manage your way around the course and all the other players.

Old baskets - The old baskets on the silver layout are in beat condition. It's great to have the option to play them and they seem to catch well enough but honestly they are just rough.
Other Thoughts: OP was my "home course" for most of my disc golf career until I recently moved away. It has always been a park with its own special set of issues but has always been a fun place to play.

I have played all the different layouts besides gold tee to silver basket more than once now and my first impression still sticks with me (although not as strongly as at first), that I miss the old course.

Silver to Silver layout seems fun and easy and I took my young cousins to play there over the holidays and had fun. Overall it is too short for me to play on a regular basis but several holes such as 4 and 7 stood out as holes I really enjoyed.

Silver to Gold layout is probably the layout with the most properly distanced hole designs. There are many holes in the 270-370' range which allow for decent scoring separation. There are still a few weird holes that seem like afterthoughts (with silver to silver and gold to gold taking preference to good design on silver to gold). Holes 6 and 7 come to mind as some of the best holes on this layout.

Gold to Gold has a lot of holes that are just unreachable in 1 but don't leave tough upshots so that a 3 is practically guaranteed and a 2 and a 4 seem like they would be rarities. It is fun to unleash some drives, but not so fun to par out over and over. Probably not much scoring separation here. Some of the most challenging and fun holes are 1, 3, and 8.

One of the things that most concerns me with the layout is the likelihood of people being hit by discs. Hole 2 is way too close to hole 1 (includes a hill so it's blind which only makes it worse). Hole 6's gold teepad is dangerously close to hole 5's fairway and is in a blind area from 5's gold pad. Hole 8's teepads are way too close to hole 7's baskets. Hole 13's gold tee is ridiculously close to hole 12's basket (it's a relatively short downhill hole and the tee is just past the basket - BRILLIANT!). Hole 17's gold layout is another short downhill hole and if you go 20 feet past the basket you are in the direct flight path of another tee that is 70 feet away.

In the 3 rounds I played this week at this park a disc from someone else's group landed or came within 30' of us at least 5 times and twice someone played through the hole we were playing on (on a different layout) without asking, one of which almost hit my 13 year old cousin and yelled FORE about 1 second before the disc hit a tree right above his head.

I'm glad the park got its chance at a re-design and hopefully things will continue to progress. It seems however that the work to install the course was done and not much (at least not enough) has been done since.

All things considered the fun factor on this course is low which is what garners the low rating. Improved pads, signage, and thorn removal would make this at least a 3-star course, and a redesign that incorporated the safety issues would increase it to a 3.5.

Waste of Resourse

1    12/10/2011   12/14/2011
Review By: New2Disc
Pros: Didn't really see any !!!
Cons: I'm a born again DG player, just restarted after a 30 years layoff !!! Being excited to play all the coarses in my area. I had been told about Oregan Park, by a friend. This has to be the biggest waste of perfect property in the game of DG !!! Now I must admit, I don't know what the designers had as far as rules to go by. But right off the bat, they use the old golf tee area, as a practice area, and use the old golf practice area as the first fairway. Which in turn made the first tee pad, right off the parking lot, ( I mean "right" off the parking lot ) when right behind the building is a perfectly beautiful tee area ??? Now I never saw the old 9 hole coarse, much less the old 18 hole coarse. But this design has no flow what's so ever !!! And really how hard is it to put up signs, or cover incorrect numbers on baskets, especially if you design it so it doesn't make a bit of sense ??? I never did find 18, and left without playing it, and a little aggravated to boot, which as we all know, is not the motive for playing in the first place.
Other Thoughts: If I were to be put in charge of redoing this coarse. I would pull most of the baskets, bust the concrete off of them, and start over !!! Use the entire property, and have 9 end up back at the building, and also, have 18 end up back on top of the tee area behind the building. And use the golf practice area along the road as a practice area !!! Oh, and put up signs !!!

36 Baskets, 4 courses

5+    9/16/2011   9/26/2011
Review By: sasscers7
Pros: Now that the new layout has settled down a bit, it provides a great set of courses for any level of player. I have played every combination of Ts and baskets several times and they all have their unique challenges that require a variety of shots and combination of distance and accuracy.

There are enough trees to be challenging and scenic, but rarely does anyone loss a disc on this course.
Cons: Will be an even better course when the Tboxes get concreted in and the signage becomes more permanent.

I miss the four holes that used to be along the creek.
Other Thoughts: This is my "home" course. I travel regularly and have played many courses all over the US. OP is still my favorite. The only course that might be better is the one in Lawrenceville, GA.

Great re-design

2-4    9/6/2011   9/6/2011
Review By: jdawg24
Pros: Oregon, one of ATL's oldest and most played courses, was completely re-designed in 2011 into a dual teepad, dual basket 18-hole configuration. The new setup offers great variety of distances with silver-silver designed for beginner level players and gold-gold designed for gold level players. I played the gold-gold layout and enjoyed ALL of the holes -- every single hole has an interesting and valid flight path and the distances were well suited to the intended player level. Excellent variety of shots with ample risk/reward. This is a very fun, challenging track set in a very nice, safe park.
Cons: The construction from the redesign is ongoing, so signage isn't complete and the course flow is confusing in spots. Most of the holes have teesigns but several are missing. Dirt pads as money is still being raised to fund the concrete and the design is still being fine tuned. It's a pitch and putt style with only a couple of par 4's -- that said, its a difficult pitch and putt (at least from the gold-gold) and you will work for your pars.
Other Thoughts: I played the gold-gold layout, which is the longest, twice this weekend. If there were a 4.25 rating I'd give it that now and it goes to 4.5 with improved signage, teepads and fine tuning.

Disregard the reviews that slam the re-design, keep in mind that people don't like change. These harsh reviews are probably from the same people that have defaced the tee signs in sharpie with the same comments.

This should be a must play if you're on this side of town -- I'd visit here over most any other area course. Only big negative (for me) is lack of multi-shot holes, but there simply isn't more land available.

Tons of people playing here so its easy to hook up with locals. The Thursday doubles action gets 30+ people weekly.