Course Extinct
St. Cloud, MN
St. Cloud VA Medical Center Share
Uploaded By: Bubbajoe Hole #2 (Taken 6/2011)
-- / --   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Interesting find

1    7/31/2011   8/2/2011
Review By: hornu007
This review was updated on 8/4/2011
Pros: -As mentioned, grounds are very well maintained and baskets were in brand new condition.
-Nice to have somewhere to practice power drives and not be punished by losing a disc.
Cons: -Difficult to find the tees for a couple holes, but with only nine holes, once through the course made it easy enough to remember the layout.
-Super long holes can be somewhat boring, especially if you don't have great driving distance.
-More variance among the holes would be nice; obstacles, elevation changes, etc.
Other Thoughts: -There was no one in sight when I went (though it was quite hot and humid that day).
-There is a ton of room in that area to add more holes. I think they missed a great opportunity next to tee seven at the course's only chance for even the slightest elevation change (plus some more trees).
-I was surprised this course was not listed on the St. Cloud Disc Golf Club website. A friend happened to see the baskets while driving by one day and this was the first I had heard of it.
- I added a map under the links/files section, hopefully it can help others enjoy this course.
- I was informed after I played that this is a PRIVATE course and typically golfers are kicked off. I may not have been noticed since it was a Sunday and there was limited staff on the grounds.

Probably The Unique Course You'll Play!

1    7/15/2011   7/15/2011
Pros: The course at the St. Cloud V.A. Hospital sits on the hospitals entrance grounds. It's a large flat expanse of land approximately 1/3 mile wide X 1/5 mile long. You could land a 747 here! It's beautiful mowed green, grass with some scattered trees. They come into play on a couple of holes. The baskets are brand new Discatchers with the red numbers on the tops. They look as if they were installed yesterday, in other words, brand new. The tee pads are a stick poking out of the ground. All of them had the hole number written on them with sharpie except one. Until yesterday that is, when I vandalized a disc golf course for the first time ever. I took out my sharpie and wrote a nice neat legible 4 on the # 4 stick underneath the pink #4 that was stapled on it. I figured the stapled version will come off eventually. As stated by Bubbajoe, this is the longest 9 hole course you've ever seen. # 3 is probably 800' across the open lawn and # 6 is at least 600'. # 4 and # 8 actually felt like disc golf holes. The signs are not real close to the baskets for some reason. Sometimes, they're like 25 yards away so you have to look for them.
Cons: An 800' open hole is borrrrrrrrring especially for an weiney arm like me. Great chance to practice your rollers though. The designer must have a big arm. I thought he missed a great chance to change things up a bit on # 7. I would have put the basket down in the small valley among the trees but instead he just has you throwing another long, open 400 footer across the grass.
Other Thoughts: There is enough room here to easily put in another 45 holes and have three 18 hole courses. Instead what you have is a great place to come and practice your drives and maybe your rollers. Order those two new drivers and this is the place to break em' in. I doubt anyone will get too excited about playing here all that often