Ypsilanti, MI
Hole #12 Short Tee

< Prev 1 2 3 4

1    4/15/2016   4/16/2016
Review By: torihanus
Pros: 1.) Course is located in the middle of a county park in the metro Detroit area. One can play a round or two of disc golf, go mountain biking, go to the park's water park, etc. I particularly like this, because I can do more than one of my favorite outdoor activities in one setting.

2.) An extremely well-maintained course! I have only been playing for a year, but this is by far the most well-maintained course I have played. Trash cans at almost every hole, brooms at every tee pad to dust off any dirt, grass cut, stumps/benches to sit at while you wait, etc.

3.) Elevation varies throughout the course. Course varies from uphills, downhills, dogleg lefts and rights. Each hole presented itself with a new challenge, but not too difficult where it would deter players from coming back.

4.) Course was easy to navigate, especially since it was my boyfriend's and my first time there. "Next Tee" signs were at every hole. We didn't have to use a map.

5.) Tee pads were concrete, and there were pro tee pads at a majority of the holes.

6.) Baskets were double-chained. Always a bonus in my book!

7.) Designers used the land given extremely well and to its advantage, especially when trees came into play. This is my own opinion, but I also liked how if I shanked a disc into the woods, it was relatively easy to find my disc, and I was able to get out of the brush with some ease. Another thing I liked about the design was that you were able to see or at least know when the hole was open for you to play at most of them (if this makes any sense).

8.) A putting basket was placed before you entered the course.
Cons: 1.) Signage only had hole number, an arrow pointing to what direction the basket was, and how many feet away you are. Although the course was so well-maintained that you could guess where the basket was, it would have been nice to have a simple guide so you knew where you were throwing. In addition, I would have also liked to know the par number for my own reference. This was the only thing that stopped it from getting a five in my book.

2.) Terrain was about the same throughout the entire course. Course description says that half the holes were open and half were wooded. I would have to disagree with that. I think that the entire course was wooded in some form or another. I don't think there were really any "open" holes. This isn't necessarily a con in my book; I do enjoy wooded holes. However, I was given the impression that half were actually open.

Awesome course!

2-4    4/8/2016   4/8/2016
Review By: the1discChallenge
Pros: -Dual pads on most holes.
-BIG variety of shots. Forehands, hyzers, dead straight, flex, rollers, overhands. Definitely will appeal to all play styles and test your shot selection.
-Lots of elevation to make for some really interesting holes. A couple are just either straight up or straight down, but there are a lot of slanted fairways to really make you think about shot selection.
-Easy to navigate, no problems getting around the course
-brooms available to sweep off the tee pads on every hole. It wasn't a huge problem today, but in the summer when it gets dusty, that is a huge plus
-very well kept. The tees were in good shape, not a lot of garbage around, nicely mowed grass. Rolling Hills is an awesome park to begin with.
Cons: -maybe just a con for me, but there aren't any bomb holes. On longs, there are longer shots, but not any more open "let-it-rip" kind of shots
-All of the holes are par 3 drive and putt kind of shots. I would love to see more placement shots, but I think this comes with a longer course
Other Thoughts: The park itself is really great, with multiple running paths, a water park, and other really great activities. I live in about a 20-30min ring of many amazing courses, and this is one of my favorites. If you're in the area, you definitely have to play this course!

Fun and easy going

1    4/2/2016   4/8/2016
Review By: Stardoggy
Pros: 18 hole course that winds through the wooded area of Rolling Hills park. The park also has many other activities, including a dog park and water park.

Nice big concrete tee pads. Most holes had two sets. Very nice and grippy. Really no complaints here, from a guy that doesn't have the longest runup. I played the long tees, which were pretty fun for an Int player. Looking at the short tees, I'd imagine they'd be enjoyable for more beginning players.

Nice Chainstar baskets, all in good repair and caught well. No problems here.

Excellent hilly terrain in play for most of the round. You'll throw a LOT of your shots up or down a hill. There is also hardly a wide open shot on the course. Only a few are extremely tight, but you'll be punished if you're too far off line.

Decent mix of distances, although there's certainly nothing here that you would consider a bomber hole. It's pretty much technical golf all the way. Lots of deuce opportunities if you're throwing 'em straight that day.

Basic tee signs, but they gave the info you needed. Navigation was relatively easy, with plenty of well worn paths and next tee signs.
Cons: This place seemed like a busy spot, and for good reason.

While there was a lot of fun holes, it did feel like the course was VERY lefty-centric. I know it wasn't the case, but it felt like nearly every hole was some sort of lefty or RHFH shot, or dead straight. Don't get me wrong, I like throwing straight shots, but a touch more variety would go a long way here.

One pin position per hole was kind of a bummer. At least a few holes would greatly benefit in the replay factor department by some extra positions, and there seemed to be plenty of room to do it.
Other Thoughts: This is just a plain out fun spin, especially as a traveling player. If I lived in the area, I don't know that I'd play it a ton with some of the other options nearby. With that said, this is a course that should be accessible to a large variety of skill levels.

Definitely worth a spin if you're in Ypsilanti!

Yipsi Entertaining Course

1    7/5/2015   7/5/2015
Review By: gtshaw5
Pros: Tricky hook shots going up and down large hills. You definitely earn your birdies on this course from the long tees.
Cons: Lots of grassy areas make it hard to find discs. Very busy on weekends.
Other Thoughts: Plenty of litter for a pay to play course.

This place is a freakin' blast!!

1    3/31/2014   3/31/2014
Review By: apdrvya
Aesthetic-- course plays through a portion of a large "metro-type" park. Many other amenities dot the landscape. a bike riding/access trail winds through the course so be on the look out. you do not throw over the trail (IIRC) but it's close to in play.

Teepads-- Excellent. large, level and in phenomenal repair. As has been said in other review, there are huge drop offs after the teepad that could really ruin your follow through.

Routing/nav-- super easy. we never ever felt like we could possibly get lost. plenty of next tee signs made it super easy.

Baskets-- Discraft in excellent repair with orange reflective tape on the necks.

Multiple teepads-- huge plus here. there are so many unique looks here that the multiple teepads help to accentuate.

elevation!!!!-- huge use of elevation here. huge plus in every single manner. It is rediculously refreshing to have this much elevation change on a course in this area.

Course amenities-- plenty of places to sit and rest between holes. it's a bit funny, you can tell which tee people throw from as they are the ones with the seats near them :)
Teesigns-- accurate length description and an arrow pointing you where the fairway is but a map of the hole would be most excellent. a lot of scouting is needed on this course to find the pins.

Variety/Challenge-- it seems that a lot of the SE Michigan courses are left hand/forehand friendly with right fades... this is no exception. the holes (even the longs) are not that challenging. I think I ended +1 on my first round through.
Other Thoughts: Overall this course was a blast. Very refreshing. I totally should have played this course by now.

Really Nice

1    8/11/2013   1/21/2014
Review By: timbur3
Pros: - Had multiple tee pads
- Pretty easy to navigate
- Had a lot of elevation change
- Lots of technical drives through woods and small fairways
- Need a lot of different shots to be successful
- Not always one clear way to play the hole
Cons: - One or two spots you might get lost
- Some blind shots
- Not always two tee pads
Other Thoughts: You have to pay to get into the park per car. Just ask at the desk where it is in the park. It gets a decent amount of traffic on it. Very nice overall and would play again if in the area.

Challenging But Fun

1    7/20/2012   1/20/2014
Review By: EricAvery
Pros: Lots of up and downs so amazing variety. Some blind throws which drives me crazy and I love it. I have never played a course like this before it was tough!
Cons: Found it tough to navigate. Not from this area so I got lost.
Other Thoughts: Glad of all the courses I had to choose from that you folks have in east Michigan that I chose Rolling Hills. Ha only a short time available to play and I chose this one based on the rating it received and the positive comments. Did not disappoint. I did not mind the gate fee - it was worth it.

Got to play here for the first time.

1    9/2/2013   9/10/2013
Review By: Trizzor
Pros: Fantastic use of Uphill and Downhill landscapes
Very well maintained
Rough/Brush is very tolerable
You get a good workout from the hiking
Trash / benches / brooms at most holes
Cons: $9 a car for non-resisdents, make sure you car pool!
Wish it had 3 tee pads like Independence.
No dogs here!
No holes to bomb a disc.
Other Thoughts: My first trip to Rolling Hills made me wish I had stopped by sooner, what a great course!

This is the best place to practice uphill and downhill shots, and even then it has great variety.

Rolling Hills

1    3/28/2013   3/28/2013
Review By: Jacobie2125
Pros: Was easy to find each hole and was relatively clean. It has a variety of shots, some up hills, some down hills, some short windows for different lines, some long, and some short holes. The wildlife adds a great amount of character to this wonderful course.
Cons: It was muddy and some of the holes had very steep hills.
Other Thoughts: I would definitely recommend playing this course to anyone in the area.

Great course

5+    7/12/2012   11/12/2012
Review By: Redmones12
Pros: Just great course lots of work put in here just awesome the work they did to make this course top notch, great elevations great all around honestly one of my favorites around
Cons: Pricey park entrance fee $9 to get in outside of that favors side arm a bit

< Prev 1 2 3 4