Knoxville, TN
Tommy Schumpert Park Share
Uploaded By: sisyphus Hole #9 (Taken 4/2013)
3 / 420ft.   -- / --   4 / 666ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #9 Blue Tee Sign

Trees and Heavy Brush

1    4/6/2012   4/6/2012
Review By: maynes35
Pros: -Really nice baskets in great shape on each hole. They don't have the second set of baskets in the long positions but it's not a big deal.
-Nice paver concrete tee pads, two sets on each hole. The baskets and pads are really great.
Cons: I'm not a fan of Tommy Shumpert and probably won't be back for a while. I think the course was intended to be "technical" and some holes are, but it's not technical when the fairway is 15 feet wide and littered with random trees. I'd say half the holes are more luck than skill.
- no signage at all
- no indication of where the next tee is
- there was a lot of wet areas and running water, so it was really wet but it wasn't actual creeks, just mush, and hadn't rained that day
- no real idea on how far a tee shot was (I guess that's back to no signage)
- Best of luck if you catch a tree and go off the "fairway" because it is the thickest brush around with lots of briars. I've done a lot of maneuvering on disc golf courses to locate discs and some of this was impassable.
Other Thoughts: I'm a fairly good player, not a pro, but pretty decent. I shoot around par on Victor Ashe, Groves and other surrounding courses so hopefully that gives you an idea of how to take my review.
If you are going out to play it, head toward the dog park and look left. There's an open field. #1 is on the left hand side tree line, best of luck from there. Also another huge note on #9 down around 300 feet along the trees there is a marshy swampy area that you'll want to avoid. Keep that in mind on your tee off because you can't see it from the long tee box. If playing as a group, I'd suggest a spotter on tee shots. That'll save a lot of time. I think my reviews are very fair, and I think this is a fair review. Maybe with a lot more work and some time to get worn in, this course will be more fun and better to play. If you are a beginner please don't play this or your career will probably be short. I'd suggest anyone looking for a course in the area find your way to Victor Ashe, Morningside, out to Groves, or probably even Admiral.