Hilton Head Island, SC

Local Review - Not A Disc Golf Course

1    7/7/2014   7/7/2014
Review By: jeffboi
This review was updated on 7/8/2014
Pros: NA
Cons: This is not a disc golf course. At best it is a very nice practice facility. To be more specific - some baskets have been installed in a field behind a church. It is only open to the public a few days a week. If you are coming to Hilton Head, catch The Sarge at 278 and I95. Good course - Lowcountry style. *Note - This is 40 minutes drive from the middle of HHI - I recommend you play day of arrival or day of departure - suggestion for tourists :)
Other Thoughts: NA

A very failed noble effort as a Eagle project.

1    7/18/2013   7/21/2013
Review By: The Uncle
Pros: Its the only listed course that I know of on HHI. If played correctly with a map is actually challenging. If you can find the Tee Box signs, they are very will made w/ a lot of info and a hole map.
Cons: Replaced 2010 Tee box signs are either gone or only partials. Over half of the Tee boxes are unmarked. Very dangerous layout with the fairways crossing each other on many holes
Other Thoughts: Stick to making it a long 9 hole course with maybe a putting basket. Also not heavily wooded like it states.

Best course on Hilton Head Island

1    9/8/2012   9/8/2012
Review By: Rosswake
Pros: Pros- Having an open area that has disc golf baskets on Hilton Head Island is nice. The course was less than a mile from where I stayed (Westin Resort).

I appreciate that a group took the time to create the course so I had a chance to throw some discs while in the area.

On every tee box sign I saw, there was a bible verse on it. They didn't all have details about the hole, but i liked reading the inspirational verses while I thought about the throw.
Cons: Cons- without being too harsh, this isn't what you'd expect from a DG course. The layout can be described as an oval field with some trees covering about 1/3 of it. The tees and baskets are arranged along the outer edge of the field. I'd estimate it to be 2 acres total, which probably isn't even enough for 5-6 holes.

The biggest downside is that just outside of the circular course lies a stagnant looking creek, which isn't visible until you are right on top of it. It looked to be several feet deep, but thankfully I didn't have to test that theory. As I mentioned, the baskets are along the outer edge so this creek is within 5-10 feet of a few baskets.

I wasn't sure where all of the tee boxes were, so I threw from the ones I thought made for an interesting toss. I assume there were 18, but I saw 10-12.

I still had fun, but I'd recommend picking a few tee boxes and making up your own little course instead of playing every basket. Gives you a chance to be creative and practice some specific shots.
Other Thoughts: Overall, not worth playing unless you have an extra 30-40 minutes and want to throw a few discs. Don't plan to keep score because there aren't enough holes to even record a 9 hole course score. I'd rate this a last resort practice course, but like I said earlier, it's a place you can access from HH to throw some discs.

Solid place to practice approaches and putts.

1    5/29/2012   6/19/2012
Review By: SemperFly
Pros: Place to play on vacation, close to parking - navigate hole to hole in short walks and return to car. You can see the whole course from anywhere on the course.
Cons: Signage was obsolete. Having the doubled up holes really requires signage to keep u going to the right t-pads. I'm not reall sure I played it right. I failed to read the reviews befor going but still would have gone just to play another course.
Other Thoughts: I took my 10 year old son and my 61 yr old father(whom only played his 2nd round) We were the only ones out there til another new comer showed as were leaving. All in all, it was fun for us to make up our own safari course since we had no idea what was right. That made it fun.

It is what it is

1    9/10/2011   9/19/2011
Review By: WaterLogged
This review was updated on 2/12/2012
Pros: Its small if you dont want to walk very far.....
Cons: Its very small and when i went none of the holes had maps. With there being so many chains in a small area it was a little confusing.
Other Thoughts: I think it would tremendously help just to have the hole maps.

Tiny and unsafe

1    4/16/2011   4/17/2011
Review By: tick
Pros: Nice Mach 5 baskets. A place to throw at Hilton Head. There have been some recent efforts at renovation. The tee signs are dated as 2010.
Cons: This course uses a flat semi-circular area of only about 3-4 acres. There are 9 Mach 5 baskets and 18 tees marked by timbers in the ground arranged around the edges of the area, except for 1 goal and two tees near the middle. The holes all criss-cross through the central open area which is also used as a ball field, and has a picnic shelter and a playground area which all get played through.
Either the recent work is not complete, or it has been undone, as several tee signs were out of the ground. I could not find a map anywhere - not in the map box, not online, not posted. The #1 tee sign did show some tee and goal numbering for about half the course. The rest of the tee signs showed a tee number, but no distance or hole configuration. Many of those that are in are placed too close to the tee, and present a danger to arm motion. Each basket is used twice, and all but one had two numbers on the goal. So I had to figure out the holes by matching up tee numbers and basket numbers. Since this is such a small area it didn't really take too
long! While there are no mandatories ot OB marked there certainly should be. Playing through playground equipment is never OK.
There are a couple benches near the backstop and playground but no other amenities like
restrooms, drinking water, etc.
Other Thoughts: Don't make a drive to play this course, just play The Sarge at Hardeeville. If I lived nearby, it would be great to have a place with a number of baskets and shots to play with.
If you are the only one there it is fine. But if anyone else is using the park, it could be
extremely unsafe. If you are staying at Hilton Head, why not check it out - it's the only game in town.

Short course

1    8/9/2004   12/9/2008
Review By: Jonny_Dread
Pros: It was the only course with in two hours of its location for a while. Now we have two nice 18 hole courses so I haven't played this one in a while. Baskets are solid. Great start for kids getting into the sport. You can go to church on sunday and play a round after in their back yard. Good putting practice.
Cons: Short and cluttered. 9 baskets for 18 holes. Hard to navigate. watch out for cars and kids.
Other Thoughts: I like that places like this are building courses to get the younger people playing but I would not make a trip here if you are passed the intermediate level. Putter and midrange is all you will need

This course needs help

7/13/2008   7/15/2008
Review By: cbrunner
Pros: It's the only course on Hilton Head.
Cons: Poorly laid out, badly marked, not maintained. Three tee marker signs were down, making a difficult job of finding the next hole impossible. Tractors and trailers were parked on the course. There were eight of us playing at the same time and we were wandering all over the course trying to find the baskets and tees.
Other Thoughts: My 14-year-old son, who loves the sport, turned to me after we finished and said, "I really hated that." It wouldn't take too much work to make this course decent. Put all the signs up. Paint the hole numbers on both sides. Instead of putting "next tee" indicators on the tee signs, put them on the baskets. Keep in mind, this being Hilton Head, a large number of players will be first-timers for the course. As it is, they will be last-timers.