Hilton Head Island, SC
Hover Links Share
Uploaded By: sfeather Hole #6

Tricky, plays like a mini golf course

2-4    7/20/2016   7/20/2016
Review By: Indy
Pros: +Empty... I've played it twice and while there is a church, daycare, and consignment (I think?) store dropoff all there, I've never once seen another disc golfer. Or anyone else wishing to use the park area
+Tricky... while the course is not long, it IS a bit tricky which makes it more challenging in a mini golf sort of way. I liked that aspect, and I'll elaborate more later
+It's the only "18 hole" course on the island although it is nine baskets. They are laid out in a fashion that doesn't make it seem like it is a 9 hole just doubled, each hole is a bit different if that makes sense.
+The baskets are in good condition
Cons: --If you are biking to the course, you have to cross 278 which is the main 4+ lane divided artery that runs through the island. While there is a light at the intersection, I've never seen it turn and there is no button to push. I will elaborate more below.
--Upkeep is prone to be a bit lax. The first few times I played this course, the grass was about a foot tall all throughout the baseball field which is what the course intersects over and over. However, I played it this morning (7/20/16) and it looked like it was mowed yesterday, making the course much easier to navigate
--The pavillion in the middle is plumbed but has no water
--It is confusing to find... the map is good, definitely download it, but even with the map, some tees are hard to find. It wasn't until my fourth round that I found tee 7 was across the parking lot from the park, and some tee boxes are buried so deep you'll never see them anymore.
--The baskets have lost a lot of their markings, so in many cases you aren't completely clear on which basket goes to which hole unless you are familiar with it beforehand.
Other Thoughts: Okay so I said it played like a mini golf course, and it does. I said that was a good thing because the course is kind of short. I'm new to this game but I can throw my midrange discs 200+ feet which means that on any given hole I can easily get within putting range in 1-2 shots. Thus, if the course were open, it wouldn't be fun at these distances. But the course isn't open. You'll have to repeatedly throw under low hanging live oak trees, around magnolias and palmettos, AROUND a backstop, possibly through a pavillion and/or a jungle gym. Oh, and there are a couple baskets parked precariously close to a creek, as in there's the basket, and a few feet behind it the dirt/mud slopes straight down into the murky creek where you probably don't want to go because it's slippery and well, gators. It definitely adds to the challenge. I'm still too new to the game to understand how a course gets the par ratings... hole 14 is a par 5?!? I am assuming it is just because you have to go around the backstop. I've almost eagled it every time and as a newbie that says something when I can consistently birdie that hole. That being said, if you throw it too straight (you're basically throwing from center field to right behind the backstop) you could possibly run into the backstop but even a seasoned beginner can get around that in one shot. The basket however is another one that is a bit close to the water's edge.
Because of the course's less-than-frequent mowing upkeep, if you play in the morning, consider that you might get waterlogged muddy shoes simply because of all of the dew retained in the foot high grasses and the sandy dirt you have to play through. Again, on my fourth time to the course, everything was finally mowed.

This course was named after Jack Hover, as states on a plaque at the #1 tee.
DEFINITELY download the map. If you are unfamiliar with how the course is laid out, you will need it. The course zigzags all over the place, and some of the teeboxes are buried in the dirt so you might just have to tee off from an approximate location, so I repeat, DEFINITELY DOWNLOAD THE MAP.

I enjoy this course. It's close to my hotel and when it's just me playing, I can hop on a bike and get out there, play and be back before the kids wake up. But I can't give it more than one and a half star because while I (a newbie) personally like it for what it is, I have to compare it against other courses and the overall reviews they are getting. For example, my home course has 40+ reviews and a rating of 2,92, it is in very nice condition, with clear markings and nice concrete pads. This course has maybe half of the tee boxes even findable, no directions on the course, and spotty condition. Thus I rank it as "passable" with 1.5 stars. Personally, I enjoy the challenge of throwing around backstops, under trees, and around jungle gyms, but the novelty will probably wear off soon enough. There are only a couple holes where I can pull out any disc with greater range than my shark on this course, and on those holes, the only reason I use a fairway driver is because I want to practice throwing it.
I kind of feel bad giving it such a "low" score, but I think for this website, it is fair.

Update: I played it again today and am very confused at how #14 is more than twice as long as #6, according to the map they should be almost identical in length, yet 14 is a 354 ft par 5 while 6 is a 162 ft par 3. On #6 you need to thread your drive between the pavillion and a jungle gym, and on 14 you come right back from center field to behind the backstop. No wonder I eagled 14 earlier today.
I also hopped into the creek to retrieve an errant cheetah I threw. I don't recommend this course of action. I finally found a way to get down to the creek (my disc was on the other side of it), and I walked toward a place where I thought I could ford the creek. I started sinking so I quickly hopped to the other side hoping that the landing would be solid. It wasn't. I sank ankle deep into the foul muck and when I took a step, my shoe stayed behind. As I went down to grab my shoe out of the muck, little crabs started scurrying around because my shoe had displaced their home. I finally got my disc and my shoe and returned to the course. So it CAN be done, but bleh.
Finally, I wanted to thank the Eagle Scout who built this course. It's fun and he did a good job on it. I plan to play it at least three more times before I go back home.

Course Guide?

1    8/5/2010   8/5/2010
Review By: aggreen
This review was updated on 4/27/2011
Pros: The baskets are in good condition. Grounds are actually well manicured. Given the amount of space for the course, it is well utilized.
A pro for me: I had my girls with me, so while they played on the playground for about 30 minutes, I was able to shoot 18 and have them in sight the entire time.
Cons: Any guidance would be helpful. There were orange marking flags set up, so I assumed these were the tee pads. I never found the #2 basket, so played a safari hole, which I figured was the same distance.
Be careful when shooting for the baskets along the back of the property - by the thirdbase line of the ball field, which you throw over often. There is a creek in the back and very thick brush - looks like you can easily lose a disc. The aforementioned parking lot can be an issue, since the longer holes parallel this.
Other Thoughts: Given that it is on church property, I give them many kudos for the effort.
The prior review mentioned baskets not being up, but they are up now (as of 8/10).
There are some unique shots - through/around a shelter, around a backstop, putting over a fence, #9/18 is surrounded by power line poles and trees.
Barely any shade and it gets hot, so bring sunblock.
I was talking with a parishioner afterward and he didn't know much, other than there were more planned improvements. Is this going to rival Idlewild? No. It's a small course, that is really a 9-hole course, nestled on private property that the church is graciously allowing the public to use. If you are in town with family and want a quick getaway to get your disc golf fix, then this course fits the bill.

Is it gone?

1    2/4/2009   2/4/2009
Review By: Marc B.
Pros: Hey,at least there is a course in the golf mecca that is Hilton Head Island. 2 sets of tees for the 9 holes. Short, technical, plays through a church parking lot and small park. Some tee's are in and around parking lot on center islands.
Cons: Difficult to navigate. Can't tell which baskets represent the 2nd set of 9 from the dual tee's. Too short. Rumor has it that baskets are being pulled out soon.
Other Thoughts: Get another one Hilton Head! I aced a hole here but it turned out to be a black one. When I approached the basket I was aiming for it had the wrong # on the basket. Damn!

7/25/2007   8/3/2008
Review By: volleyballnick
Pros: It's the only place to play within 20 miles.
Cons: Nearly impossible to find some holes, unseen water comes into play on some holes with a slight overthrow, holes cross over each other constantly making it a nightmare if anyone else is playing (highly unlikely).
Other Thoughts: Most of the holes are pretty short and pretty open if you are looking for somewhere to get warmed up before attempting somewhere harder. You're best off just making up your own holes if you can't find the signs quickly