Hilton Head Island, SC
Hover Links Share
Uploaded By: sfeather Hole #3

< Prev 1 2 3
Tricky, plays like a mini golf course

2-4    7/20/2016   7/20/2016
Review By: Indy
Pros: +Empty... I've played it twice and while there is a church, daycare, and consignment (I think?) store dropoff all there, I've never once seen another disc golfer. Or anyone else wishing to use the park area
+Tricky... while the course is not long, it IS a bit tricky which makes it more challenging in a mini golf sort of way. I liked that aspect, and I'll elaborate more later
+It's the only "18 hole" course on the island although it is nine baskets. They are laid out in a fashion that doesn't make it seem like it is a 9 hole just doubled, each hole is a bit different if that makes sense.
+The baskets are in good condition
Cons: --If you are biking to the course, you have to cross 278 which is the main 4+ lane divided artery that runs through the island. While there is a light at the intersection, I've never seen it turn and there is no button to push. I will elaborate more below.
--Upkeep is prone to be a bit lax. The first few times I played this course, the grass was about a foot tall all throughout the baseball field which is what the course intersects over and over. However, I played it this morning (7/20/16) and it looked like it was mowed yesterday, making the course much easier to navigate
--The pavillion in the middle is plumbed but has no water
--It is confusing to find... the map is good, definitely download it, but even with the map, some tees are hard to find. It wasn't until my fourth round that I found tee 7 was across the parking lot from the park, and some tee boxes are buried so deep you'll never see them anymore.
--The baskets have lost a lot of their markings, so in many cases you aren't completely clear on which basket goes to which hole unless you are familiar with it beforehand.
Other Thoughts: Okay so I said it played like a mini golf course, and it does. I said that was a good thing because the course is kind of short. I'm new to this game but I can throw my midrange discs 200+ feet which means that on any given hole I can easily get within putting range in 1-2 shots. Thus, if the course were open, it wouldn't be fun at these distances. But the course isn't open. You'll have to repeatedly throw under low hanging live oak trees, around magnolias and palmettos, AROUND a backstop, possibly through a pavillion and/or a jungle gym. Oh, and there are a couple baskets parked precariously close to a creek, as in there's the basket, and a few feet behind it the dirt/mud slopes straight down into the murky creek where you probably don't want to go because it's slippery and well, gators. It definitely adds to the challenge. I'm still too new to the game to understand how a course gets the par ratings... hole 14 is a par 5?!? I am assuming it is just because you have to go around the backstop. I've almost eagled it every time and as a newbie that says something when I can consistently birdie that hole. That being said, if you throw it too straight (you're basically throwing from center field to right behind the backstop) you could possibly run into the backstop but even a seasoned beginner can get around that in one shot. The basket however is another one that is a bit close to the water's edge.
Because of the course's less-than-frequent mowing upkeep, if you play in the morning, consider that you might get waterlogged muddy shoes simply because of all of the dew retained in the foot high grasses and the sandy dirt you have to play through. Again, on my fourth time to the course, everything was finally mowed.

This course was named after Jack Hover, as states on a plaque at the #1 tee.
DEFINITELY download the map. If you are unfamiliar with how the course is laid out, you will need it. The course zigzags all over the place, and some of the teeboxes are buried in the dirt so you might just have to tee off from an approximate location, so I repeat, DEFINITELY DOWNLOAD THE MAP.

I enjoy this course. It's close to my hotel and when it's just me playing, I can hop on a bike and get out there, play and be back before the kids wake up. But I can't give it more than one and a half star because while I (a newbie) personally like it for what it is, I have to compare it against other courses and the overall reviews they are getting. For example, my home course has 40+ reviews and a rating of 2,92, it is in very nice condition, with clear markings and nice concrete pads. This course has maybe half of the tee boxes even findable, no directions on the course, and spotty condition. Thus I rank it as "passable" with 1.5 stars. Personally, I enjoy the challenge of throwing around backstops, under trees, and around jungle gyms, but the novelty will probably wear off soon enough. There are only a couple holes where I can pull out any disc with greater range than my shark on this course, and on those holes, the only reason I use a fairway driver is because I want to practice throwing it.
I kind of feel bad giving it such a "low" score, but I think for this website, it is fair.

Update: I played it again today and am very confused at how #14 is more than twice as long as #6, according to the map they should be almost identical in length, yet 14 is a 354 ft par 5 while 6 is a 162 ft par 3. On #6 you need to thread your drive between the pavillion and a jungle gym, and on 14 you come right back from center field to behind the backstop. No wonder I eagled 14 earlier today.
I also hopped into the creek to retrieve an errant cheetah I threw. I don't recommend this course of action. I finally found a way to get down to the creek (my disc was on the other side of it), and I walked toward a place where I thought I could ford the creek. I started sinking so I quickly hopped to the other side hoping that the landing would be solid. It wasn't. I sank ankle deep into the foul muck and when I took a step, my shoe stayed behind. As I went down to grab my shoe out of the muck, little crabs started scurrying around because my shoe had displaced their home. I finally got my disc and my shoe and returned to the course. So it CAN be done, but bleh.
Finally, I wanted to thank the Eagle Scout who built this course. It's fun and he did a good job on it. I plan to play it at least three more times before I go back home.

Don't. Come. Here.

1    6/28/2016   6/28/2016
Review By: MaxZero1496
Pros: It's on the main road, so you can pass by without playing and continue on your way.
Cons: No signs for half the holes.
No tee offs.
Most of the baskets are mere feet from a large, deep river infested with mosquitos.
Other Thoughts: Horrible experience. Don't waste your time.

Great "Beach" Course

5+    6/9/2016   6/9/2016
Review By: ojdash
This review was updated on 6/21/2016
Pros: Pros: Fun!
-Baskets are in good repair.
-As of Summer of 2016 there has been a lot of brush cleared and the course is in better repair than in the past.
-Good mix of long and short holes, especially considering the amount of land.
-decently challenging mix of woods and open with OB near many holes.
-very few people (I have played this course every morning on vacation the last 3 years...I have seen other disc golfers maybe twice and no one using the other facilities (backstop or picnic tables)
Cons: Cons: As others have said, impossible without a course map (although not a con for me, i just used the map here, or you can pick one up in the church).
- almost all signage is missing (so if 2 teepads are next each other, you may not know which is which)
-Have to use approximate teepads in some locations to get proper footing.
- teepads are sand or grass
- some overhanging branches (18 is a pretty low ceiling)
-no elevation change
-I have never had this issue, but this course would not be playable with other people using the baseball field (there are no plates just a backstop) and would be difficult to play other groups playing in the park.
-BRING BUG SPRAY, the skeeters are out in force!
Other Thoughts: There are now 2 courses on the island and the Sarge within 30-40 minutes. The Sarge is a 4.5* course and this course is just a fun rec course. I am an intermediate player and I can get quite a few birdies on this course, though few are easy. There are several holes around 350-400 when you go over the open field. There is a good mix between wooded and open holes. This course is a spider layout, think safari, but it is fun to play. I have to play on *approximate* teepads on a lot of holes to get good footing (usually next to or in front of the existing ones). I don't understand all the terrible reviews. Yeah the teepads aren't great and you need a map but the holes themselves either have a lane to hit, a weird gap or lot's of distance. There are a few easy hyzers, but not enough to make the course boring. My dad and cousin came with me and both shot in the upper 60's...they are beginners but had a great time. This course is fun. There is never anyone using it during the week (I have seen 2 groups in last 3 years playing it daily on week long vacations). It's a great course to go play in the morning for an hour-hour and a half and then hit the beach all day. A map is a must and it may take a bit more time your first day to find the teepads (3 4x4's buries to make a box ). This is a sandy course and has lots of OB (parking lot on one side, creek on the other) making the course a bit more challenging. Compared to the Hilton Head Golf Course which recently opened on the island this one wins for me on *fun factor* but not as well manicured (the new course has better baskets and the tees are much easier to find and an easier layout to follow).

Come for the (Ball) Golf

1    3/12/2015   3/12/2015
Review By: nevets4433
This review was updated on 4/1/2015
Pros: This is the only place available to play disc golf on Hilton Head Island, or within a roughly 45 minute drive radius, so it certainly serves a purpose. Unfortunately other than that, there aren't a ton of pros here.

Quick, easy stopover for people on vacation.

9 baskets in pretty good shape.

Good job squeezing a disc golf course into a park that was likely far too compact for it.

Somewhat beginner friendly.

Good attempt at tee signs
Cons: This course is the definitition of danger close! Take a look at the map. The hole paths look like a spider web meeting in the middle. When I played, there was one other group on the course. We interfered with each other on almost every hole. Part of the problem is that it is a 9 basket/18 hole course, and matching tees don't play to the same basket. This leaves a lot of chance for interference here. For example, hole 11 crosses 11 other holes, and meets a 12th hole that shares the basket! Multiple other fairways cross 9 or more holes. That seems a bit dangerous.

3 of the baskets are 2 paces from the parking lot. The basket for 5 was also blocked by multiple vans using the area for overflow parking. Tons of chances here for a stray disc to meet a car.

3 of the other baskets are within 2 paces of a deep creek from which I don't think a disc would be retrieved. A full third of the holes are basically mandatory deathputts. That's ok on a professional course I suppose, but on a course that clearly caters towards beginners, losing discs while putting is not likely to keep people coming back.

Course is also dangerous because of its location. You throw over a baseball diamond for much of it, and also through a playground and over/through a covered picnic area. This is a recipe for disaster. Unfortunately, I don't think there are many other places to put the baskets here. This parcel of land, with the facilities on it already, unfortunately just doesn't lead to a great course layout.

Navigation is a disaster. Many of the tee signs are missing or in a state of disrepair. This unfortunately means that finding the next hole is very difficult. Bringing a course map is almost mandatory.

It appears that a few of the teeboxes have been lost to time.
Other Thoughts: I very much support this as a great Eagle Scout project. I have tons of respect for that. I also am very appreciative of the church allowing the public onto their property for recreation. This course, however, has a ton of problems with it as above.

It is still a decent place to come stop by if you are in the area and need your disc golf fix, but Hilton Head is a ball golf island.

I would recommend, because of a lot of the problems, trying to play this one as a safari course. That might improve some of the problems.

Fun little course!

5+    1/1/2015   1/2/2015
Review By: garryj
Pros: -very quite, uncrowded
-good mixture of woods and grassy fairways (plays across a ball field)
-safari style course (the #1 basket is not the #10 basket, etc) makes the 9 baskets play like a true 18 holes
-3 scorecards posted (recreational, amateur, and pro) makes par achievable for all levels of play
Cons: -almost impossible to navigate without the course map, be sure to download and print it before playing
-several baskets are directly in front of a deep murky creek
-tee boxes missing on some holes and in bad repair on others
-if several groups are playing, the overlapping holes would be a problem
-this last time that I played the course I discovered that the numbers on the baskets do not match the numbers on the online course map
Other Thoughts: Most of the reviews on this course have been negative, and the reviewers made some very good points. However, I keep coming back for the simple reason that I like it. For me it's fun! It appears the course has been hit by vandals in recent months, and it definately needs a little tender love and care. I'm not sure of what to make of the discrepancy between the course map and the numbers on the baskets. It appears the map was recently changed, but no one changed the numbers on the baskets. One final thought, the folks at the church are super friendly. You can stop by the church office, thank them for providing the course, and pick up a map. The description on this web site states that the course is only open to the public on limited days, however the members that I talked to were unaware of this limitation. We visit Hilton Head three times a year and Hover Links is the first place I head to!

1    8/21/2014   8/31/2014
Review By: reposado
Pros: Eight baskets are placed on the perimeter of a mostly open area with a few scattered trees. (with one right in the center) The layout for the first nine holes is not terrible, as it covers most of the terrain with minimal overlap and even makes a few cool shots where the basket is behind a tree or something. Nice place to work shapes with the putters and mid-ranges.
I also liked the protected basket. It is very protected and fun to approach.
Cons: It's just not well suited for the only players that might enjoy it. First, for the players that would be on this course, having two baskets on the edge of the river is a bad idea. Second, with discers that don't have great control, playing so close to the parking lot is a worse idea. Third, those inexperienced players will likely have no idea how to navigate the course. I used the map from this site and was ok but without that, there is a lot of guess work. About a third of the tees have signs indicating the hole number but most are missing. And since any tee might go to any basket on the field, the mapless would throw their hands up and quit. Yes, the baskets have numbers on them, but you can't read them until you are already next to them.
The back nine is pretty much a terrible idea. Those who want to play safari always can. But essentially the back nine is constantly throwing across the entirety of the complex, given that eight of nine baskets are on the perimeter of the area. That means that you get bored just throwing across the same field over and over again, and if there were ever multiple groups, most fairways cross about six others.
And several holes throw directly at the pavilion, forcing most throws either over or through it.

Local Review - Not A Disc Golf Course

1    7/7/2014   7/7/2014
Review By: jeffboi
This review was updated on 7/8/2014
Pros: NA
Cons: This is not a disc golf course. At best it is a very nice practice facility. To be more specific - some baskets have been installed in a field behind a church. It is only open to the public a few days a week. If you are coming to Hilton Head, catch The Sarge at 278 and I95. Good course - Lowcountry style. *Note - This is 40 minutes drive from the middle of HHI - I recommend you play day of arrival or day of departure - suggestion for tourists :)
Other Thoughts: NA

A very failed noble effort as a Eagle project.

1    7/18/2013   7/21/2013
Review By: The Uncle
Pros: Its the only listed course that I know of on HHI. If played correctly with a map is actually challenging. If you can find the Tee Box signs, they are very will made w/ a lot of info and a hole map.
Cons: Replaced 2010 Tee box signs are either gone or only partials. Over half of the Tee boxes are unmarked. Very dangerous layout with the fairways crossing each other on many holes
Other Thoughts: Stick to making it a long 9 hole course with maybe a putting basket. Also not heavily wooded like it states.

Best course on Hilton Head Island

1    9/8/2012   9/8/2012
Review By: Rosswake
Pros: Pros- Having an open area that has disc golf baskets on Hilton Head Island is nice. The course was less than a mile from where I stayed (Westin Resort).

I appreciate that a group took the time to create the course so I had a chance to throw some discs while in the area.

On every tee box sign I saw, there was a bible verse on it. They didn't all have details about the hole, but i liked reading the inspirational verses while I thought about the throw.
Cons: Cons- without being too harsh, this isn't what you'd expect from a DG course. The layout can be described as an oval field with some trees covering about 1/3 of it. The tees and baskets are arranged along the outer edge of the field. I'd estimate it to be 2 acres total, which probably isn't even enough for 5-6 holes.

The biggest downside is that just outside of the circular course lies a stagnant looking creek, which isn't visible until you are right on top of it. It looked to be several feet deep, but thankfully I didn't have to test that theory. As I mentioned, the baskets are along the outer edge so this creek is within 5-10 feet of a few baskets.

I wasn't sure where all of the tee boxes were, so I threw from the ones I thought made for an interesting toss. I assume there were 18, but I saw 10-12.

I still had fun, but I'd recommend picking a few tee boxes and making up your own little course instead of playing every basket. Gives you a chance to be creative and practice some specific shots.
Other Thoughts: Overall, not worth playing unless you have an extra 30-40 minutes and want to throw a few discs. Don't plan to keep score because there aren't enough holes to even record a 9 hole course score. I'd rate this a last resort practice course, but like I said earlier, it's a place you can access from HH to throw some discs.

Solid place to practice approaches and putts.

Don't bother with this course

1    7/24/2012   7/25/2012
Review By: Hawth35
Pros: Being on church property gives you a feeling of safety.
Cons: It's to small and not marked well enough to figure out.
I spent more time trying to find the baskets and tees than i did throwing.
Other Thoughts: A basic map would make this course passable.
But the area is to small for it to ever be better than a 1.5 course.

< Prev 1 2 3