Hilton Head Island, SC

Come for the (Ball) Golf

1    3/12/2015   3/12/2015
Review By: nevets4433
This review was updated on 4/1/2015
Pros: This is the only place available to play disc golf on Hilton Head Island, or within a roughly 45 minute drive radius, so it certainly serves a purpose. Unfortunately other than that, there aren't a ton of pros here.

Quick, easy stopover for people on vacation.

9 baskets in pretty good shape.

Good job squeezing a disc golf course into a park that was likely far too compact for it.

Somewhat beginner friendly.

Good attempt at tee signs
Cons: This course is the definitition of danger close! Take a look at the map. The hole paths look like a spider web meeting in the middle. When I played, there was one other group on the course. We interfered with each other on almost every hole. Part of the problem is that it is a 9 basket/18 hole course, and matching tees don't play to the same basket. This leaves a lot of chance for interference here. For example, hole 11 crosses 11 other holes, and meets a 12th hole that shares the basket! Multiple other fairways cross 9 or more holes. That seems a bit dangerous.

3 of the baskets are 2 paces from the parking lot. The basket for 5 was also blocked by multiple vans using the area for overflow parking. Tons of chances here for a stray disc to meet a car.

3 of the other baskets are within 2 paces of a deep creek from which I don't think a disc would be retrieved. A full third of the holes are basically mandatory deathputts. That's ok on a professional course I suppose, but on a course that clearly caters towards beginners, losing discs while putting is not likely to keep people coming back.

Course is also dangerous because of its location. You throw over a baseball diamond for much of it, and also through a playground and over/through a covered picnic area. This is a recipe for disaster. Unfortunately, I don't think there are many other places to put the baskets here. This parcel of land, with the facilities on it already, unfortunately just doesn't lead to a great course layout.

Navigation is a disaster. Many of the tee signs are missing or in a state of disrepair. This unfortunately means that finding the next hole is very difficult. Bringing a course map is almost mandatory.

It appears that a few of the teeboxes have been lost to time.
Other Thoughts: I very much support this as a great Eagle Scout project. I have tons of respect for that. I also am very appreciative of the church allowing the public onto their property for recreation. This course, however, has a ton of problems with it as above.

It is still a decent place to come stop by if you are in the area and need your disc golf fix, but Hilton Head is a ball golf island.

I would recommend, because of a lot of the problems, trying to play this one as a safari course. That might improve some of the problems.

Fun little course!

5+    1/1/2015   1/2/2015
Review By: garryj
Pros: -very quite, uncrowded
-good mixture of woods and grassy fairways (plays across a ball field)
-safari style course (the #1 basket is not the #10 basket, etc) makes the 9 baskets play like a true 18 holes
-3 scorecards posted (recreational, amateur, and pro) makes par achievable for all levels of play
Cons: -almost impossible to navigate without the course map, be sure to download and print it before playing
-several baskets are directly in front of a deep murky creek
-tee boxes missing on some holes and in bad repair on others
-if several groups are playing, the overlapping holes would be a problem
-this last time that I played the course I discovered that the numbers on the baskets do not match the numbers on the online course map
Other Thoughts: Most of the reviews on this course have been negative, and the reviewers made some very good points. However, I keep coming back for the simple reason that I like it. For me it's fun! It appears the course has been hit by vandals in recent months, and it definately needs a little tender love and care. I'm not sure of what to make of the discrepancy between the course map and the numbers on the baskets. It appears the map was recently changed, but no one changed the numbers on the baskets. One final thought, the folks at the church are super friendly. You can stop by the church office, thank them for providing the course, and pick up a map. The description on this web site states that the course is only open to the public on limited days, however the members that I talked to were unaware of this limitation. We visit Hilton Head three times a year and Hover Links is the first place I head to!

1    8/21/2014   8/31/2014
Review By: reposado
Pros: Eight baskets are placed on the perimeter of a mostly open area with a few scattered trees. (with one right in the center) The layout for the first nine holes is not terrible, as it covers most of the terrain with minimal overlap and even makes a few cool shots where the basket is behind a tree or something. Nice place to work shapes with the putters and mid-ranges.
I also liked the protected basket. It is very protected and fun to approach.
Cons: It's just not well suited for the only players that might enjoy it. First, for the players that would be on this course, having two baskets on the edge of the river is a bad idea. Second, with discers that don't have great control, playing so close to the parking lot is a worse idea. Third, those inexperienced players will likely have no idea how to navigate the course. I used the map from this site and was ok but without that, there is a lot of guess work. About a third of the tees have signs indicating the hole number but most are missing. And since any tee might go to any basket on the field, the mapless would throw their hands up and quit. Yes, the baskets have numbers on them, but you can't read them until you are already next to them.
The back nine is pretty much a terrible idea. Those who want to play safari always can. But essentially the back nine is constantly throwing across the entirety of the complex, given that eight of nine baskets are on the perimeter of the area. That means that you get bored just throwing across the same field over and over again, and if there were ever multiple groups, most fairways cross about six others.
And several holes throw directly at the pavilion, forcing most throws either over or through it.

Local Review - Not A Disc Golf Course

1    7/7/2014   7/7/2014
Review By: jeffboi
This review was updated on 7/8/2014
Pros: NA
Cons: This is not a disc golf course. At best it is a very nice practice facility. To be more specific - some baskets have been installed in a field behind a church. It is only open to the public a few days a week. If you are coming to Hilton Head, catch The Sarge at 278 and I95. Good course - Lowcountry style. *Note - This is 40 minutes drive from the middle of HHI - I recommend you play day of arrival or day of departure - suggestion for tourists :)
Other Thoughts: NA

A very failed noble effort as a Eagle project.

1    7/18/2013   7/21/2013
Review By: The Uncle
Pros: Its the only listed course that I know of on HHI. If played correctly with a map is actually challenging. If you can find the Tee Box signs, they are very will made w/ a lot of info and a hole map.
Cons: Replaced 2010 Tee box signs are either gone or only partials. Over half of the Tee boxes are unmarked. Very dangerous layout with the fairways crossing each other on many holes
Other Thoughts: Stick to making it a long 9 hole course with maybe a putting basket. Also not heavily wooded like it states.

Best course on Hilton Head Island

1    9/8/2012   9/8/2012
Review By: Rosswake
Pros: Pros- Having an open area that has disc golf baskets on Hilton Head Island is nice. The course was less than a mile from where I stayed (Westin Resort).

I appreciate that a group took the time to create the course so I had a chance to throw some discs while in the area.

On every tee box sign I saw, there was a bible verse on it. They didn't all have details about the hole, but i liked reading the inspirational verses while I thought about the throw.
Cons: Cons- without being too harsh, this isn't what you'd expect from a DG course. The layout can be described as an oval field with some trees covering about 1/3 of it. The tees and baskets are arranged along the outer edge of the field. I'd estimate it to be 2 acres total, which probably isn't even enough for 5-6 holes.

The biggest downside is that just outside of the circular course lies a stagnant looking creek, which isn't visible until you are right on top of it. It looked to be several feet deep, but thankfully I didn't have to test that theory. As I mentioned, the baskets are along the outer edge so this creek is within 5-10 feet of a few baskets.

I wasn't sure where all of the tee boxes were, so I threw from the ones I thought made for an interesting toss. I assume there were 18, but I saw 10-12.

I still had fun, but I'd recommend picking a few tee boxes and making up your own little course instead of playing every basket. Gives you a chance to be creative and practice some specific shots.
Other Thoughts: Overall, not worth playing unless you have an extra 30-40 minutes and want to throw a few discs. Don't plan to keep score because there aren't enough holes to even record a 9 hole course score. I'd rate this a last resort practice course, but like I said earlier, it's a place you can access from HH to throw some discs.

Solid place to practice approaches and putts.

Don't bother with this course

1    7/24/2012   7/25/2012
Review By: Hawth35
Pros: Being on church property gives you a feeling of safety.
Cons: It's to small and not marked well enough to figure out.
I spent more time trying to find the baskets and tees than i did throwing.
Other Thoughts: A basic map would make this course passable.
But the area is to small for it to ever be better than a 1.5 course.

1    5/29/2012   6/19/2012
Review By: SemperFly
Pros: Place to play on vacation, close to parking - navigate hole to hole in short walks and return to car. You can see the whole course from anywhere on the course.
Cons: Signage was obsolete. Having the doubled up holes really requires signage to keep u going to the right t-pads. I'm not reall sure I played it right. I failed to read the reviews befor going but still would have gone just to play another course.
Other Thoughts: I took my 10 year old son and my 61 yr old father(whom only played his 2nd round) We were the only ones out there til another new comer showed as were leaving. All in all, it was fun for us to make up our own safari course since we had no idea what was right. That made it fun.

Needs alot of work

1    8/3/2012   4/22/2012
Review By: Billy K2
This review was updated on 9/11/2014
Pros: Um... Baskets.?
Cons: Where do I begin?
No sinage, just made up holes
.Very small park
1 basket equals 2 holes
Creek impossable to retrieve discs from
Playground,pavillion, and ball field in play
Some tee signs missing or damaged
Muddy when wet
Trees down
Crossing fairways on almost every hole
Terrible design
Lost disc
Other Thoughts: I spent more time looking for tees and baskets than playing. If the course isn't redesigned than the baskets should be put to better use. Sorry boy scouts but this course was a waste of my time

Landscape: 0/5
Use of available land: 4/5
Overall Grade: 0.5/5

1    1/14/2012   1/14/2012
Review By: kalpic30
Pros: Majority of course is wide open, so you can let it rib
Cons: -A lot of the signs are either on the ground or missing completely. Seems to be vandalized.

-Tee boxes are difficult to find due to vegetation.

-Only maps are drawn by a dedicated local. He did a good job, but kind of difficult to read. If he wasn't out there playing as well, there would have been NO way that I could've played the correct holes...
Other Thoughts: The course was both created and updated for two scouts' eagle projects. It could be a fun course if kept up.

< Prev 1 2 3