Seattle, WA
Lakewood King County Park Share
Uploaded By: Nic_Farley83 Hole #10 (Taken 7/2011)

a great park for disc golf!

2-4    7/13/2012   7/20/2012
Review By: chainedwraith
Pros: - Good hole design and terrain utilization.
- Nice teepads & baskets. I liked the natural stone shaping of the teepads. They were plenty big enough and grippy.
- Good mix of open and wooded/technical holes.
- Solid diversity of left / straight / right / uphill / downhill shaped holes. It has it all.
- Nice pro-shop / vending near restrooms.
- Friendly locals who call you on lost discs and turn them in to the shop.
Cons: - long walk from 18 back to parking lot.
- the walk to hole 9's basket (across water) forces you to cross right in front of hole 10's basket where people might be throwing. Just be careful there. The holes themselves are good and there is no other way to get over there so not much can be done about this.
- While not jaw-dropping perfect, I can't really pick out too many other flaws.. The course had to be re-designed due to construction and development on the back of the property. A local showed me the terrain and fence-line back there and it looks like the course lost some really nice space.. bummer. But I applaud those who did the re-design.. Still an excellent course by all means!
Other Thoughts: I had a blast at this course. The Deaf Disc Golf Championships were going on and we had to wait for them to finish (enjoyed watching them for a little while), but the fact that the Chainbangerz club stepped up and hosted such a tournament is nothing short of awesome!
I also lost a disc, got a call back the next day and Dana from the shop actually opened it up afterhours JUST to give me my disc back since I was on my way to the airport to fly home. Very cool of her! Keep doing what you guys are doing out there! I can't wait to come back again someday.

proper disc golf for sure

1    6/20/2012   6/22/2012
Review By: northwestblazinfire
Pros: Awesome tee pads with rock benches at seemingly every hole
Beautifully maintained course with roller ready green
Nice challenging anny or sidearm holes for a righty
18 is the typical great huge ender for the round. The epic downhill looong look.
Variety or terrain with different playing surfaces to consider (dirt,bark,grass,gravel,cement,trees lol)
Well placed baskets with OBs being cement paths add a perfect degreee of difficulty
Sweet practice baskets and really cool good viben people I seen a lot of smiles and heard a lot of hearty laughter :D
Very rewarding course with a lot for everyone
Cons: For me the drive that's it
Other Thoughts: My home course has much work to be done but it is inspiring to see what a course can become as I am young in my discgolf experience this is as good as it gets for me. I had a good round at +2 but missed many of bird and ate only two bogies.

Decent Course

2-4    4/17/2012   4/17/2012
Review By: ferret_1986
Pros: Variety of shots required; terrain, water, sidearm. Not too long of a course but still has some holes that require distance and a handful that are ace-able.
Cons: Has an odd layout due to construction. Seems to be a popular place for the high schoolers to go to after school.

A city Oasis

1    10/9/2011   10/9/2011
Review By: djlofton
Pros: -This course has something for everyone. elevation changes were just enough to make your distance judgement a good degree of difficulty.
-Even though some holes have been changed to facilitate the construction, evident by the temporary tee pads on some holes, it didn't disrupt the round and the flow of the course was awesome.
-There are a lot of great turnover shots for a right hander, and for a lefty, it was a blast just to let loose.
-Althought the hours aren't posted, the plastic shop is pretty well maintained, and anyone can see that the chainbangers really love and care for this course and all it's components.
Cons: -a nice technical shot over a baseball field could be trouble-some if a game is being played.
- although the lake is small, it didn't really feel like a threat at all during play.
-no one could tell me when the shop opened.
Other Thoughts: over all, a nice distraction. Close enough to the airport, that I could get in a round after dropping off a person at the airport. The only issue I had was that I am a mediocre player at best, and I was able to shoot a -4 on my first trip around. I am used to heavily wooded area though, so maybe the wide open spaces were really just what the doctor ordered. Thank you Chainbangers for your awesome effort.

A good time. And friendly folks

2-4    8/25/2011   8/28/2011
Review By: steezejenkins
Pros: -Excellent use of the park
-Super cool tee pad benches!
-Both water shots?
-Pro shop and consession!
-Just a great place to enjoy a round
Cons: -Upper parking lot should not be recommended
-Driving through White Center to get to the course, Scary ghetto for an Oregon native
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed this course. For what they had to work with the course was diverse. Once my buddy and I found the lower parking lot we were stoked to get out and play. The chainbanger guys were really cool and even helped out my buddy with some info about a nonprofit that can help with his school disc golf project. Go play this course. Certain you won't be shrugging as if you played seatac!

Easy for Pro's, fun for everyone else

1    8/21/2011   8/22/2011
Review By: s.z.hoyt
Pros: -Great park, well maintained
-holes have great elevation changes
-Water holes are easy, but mental game
-Great use of the park.
Cons: -Some old pads from previous layout can confuse first timers
-Signage is lacking at each pad, hit and miss
-Goose Poo...eww
-Some holes are tight courters
Other Thoughts: Fun park for beginner to intermediate. Pros will be bored as there is no real long range shots or hard obstacles. Went super early in the morning and no one was there.

Had a good time and will be back

A True Disc Golf Course

2-4    8/20/2011   8/21/2011
Review By: Clempson13
Pros: This course is exactly what all courses should strive to be like. The course is located in a well maintained park with several ponds surrounded by rolling hills and some wooded areas. All of the fairways are well maintained and kept clear of debris. Many of the holes have large elevation changes which really make you think about your drive placement in regards to your next throw. Did I mention that there is a pro shop located on the course? Which sells discs, has a disc lost and found, as well as food and drink? Awesome.

Several holes play over water, but none of the throws are difficult to make, unless there is a large headwind on Hole 9.
Cons: There seemed to be a lot of extra space which wasn't being used which could have been added to some of the fairways to make some of the holes a little longer. Also the course starts and ends at completely different areas of the park, so think about that when you park (there is a parking lot both by Hole 1 and Hole 18).
Other Thoughts: This course was amazing and they even had maps of the course at the pro shop for people who are new to the course. It was mentioned that the course was still a work in progress, so I look forward to seeing how it improves in the future and hope to have the opportunity to play it then.

Work in progress

2-4    8/5/2011   8/5/2011
Review By: Robinhood
Pros: Chainbangerz has done some great work out here to update and change up the course. The new Tee Pads and rock-like benches are amazing. super grippy Tee Pads and well thought out benches with enough room for 4 or more. Chainbangerz has plans to improve the course further which will only make this course better. Holes 1 and 9 now offer more challenge with the water hazards and possibilities for discs to go swimming.
Cons: The course no longer flows like the previous layout did. you end on 18 some distance from the 1st hole, I have been parking at the old lot so the return to the car is a little shorter. The Lack of a Path from the end of 1st hole to the 2ns could use some work, or a sign. the "goat" path from the 2nd hole to 3rd needs some work to be more sustainable, as it is now I can see there being issues with mud when it starts raining. On hole 12 the preferred flight path come very close to the basket on 11, I was almost hit putting in on 11 from a player teeing off on 12 and the person on 12 had a good shot. I would like to see some more trash cans at a few of the tee pads, there is a bit of trash left behind at many of the tee pads. The overall lack of signage is an issue if you are unfamiliar with the new layout.
Other Thoughts: clearly Lakewood is a work in progress, with new baskets around the first holes the layout is soon to change for the better. Thanks Chainbangerz for all the hard work and dedication to making this a great course to play.

Getting Better All The Time! Now 20 Holes!

5+    6/22/2011   7/6/2011
Review By: forehandfranz
This review was updated on 12/10/2014
Pros: Lakewood is a real gem of a course. My home digs are a testament of love, sweat, tears and I hope I don't sound too biased in my review as a result! The land that Lakewood sits on is gorgeous rolling grassy hills and a mix of Madrona and fir that shapes the fairways. The fairways play mostly open but require a mix of power and finesse, as there are many OB perils such as fences, roads, lakes and sidewalks that will penalize a poor shot. Scoring can sway both ways depending on how much game you bring. You can bring your longer drivers here, but also bring your accurate short range game as some pin placements can be testy on sloped ground.

Though many of the new holes are shorter, I find them to be a lot of fun. Holes 1-3 (in short position) are now a string of birdie runs. But don't get distracted - hole #2 was a playoff hole in the recent Battle of Seattle tournment and this hole was won (and lost) by an Open player who failed to sink his 28' birdie putt, slightly around a guarding madrona tree!

The tee pads and benches are unlike anything I've ever seen before. The Chainbangerz disc golf club finally raised the necessary funds to create these marvelous gems during the (ongoing) remodel. The benches look like large worn stones and the teepads are long, grippy, and are bordered by a curved edge that adds a more natural look. The bench on #13 is called the amphitheater as it resembles old Roman stadium seating.

There's now a small pro shop (Chainbangerz) near hole #1 that you can replenish you thirst and lust for plastic - hooray!
Cons: FLOW - When you finish #13, you must walk back along hole #11 and turn right at their tee pad to get to #14.

As it stands, hole numbers and distances are yet to be carved into the tee pads, so it's your best guess as to which hole you may be playing and how long. I suggest you print a map or obtain one at the disc shop by hole #1 and 6. They do now have "Next Tee" signs on the holes, but I only hope that vandals do not remove them.
Other Thoughts: The course, as others have noted is a notch easier than the original layout, but I think many of the replacement holes (2 that go over the water), are really a lot of fun, and require accuracy more than strength.

By the way - for those who are weary to throw over the pond on Hole #1 - there is a drop zone on the edge of the parking area (it's a concrete pad in the shape of Washington about 40 ft. from the short pin). If you wish, you may take a penalty stroke and tee from this position instead - and it's possible to par the short pin from there!

As many improvements are corrected, my rating will go up. I was fortunate to be part of the first re-design crew and feel that we were able to preserve much of the old while bringing in some new flavors.

Lakewood Remodel-A Little Shorter-No Less Fun!

1    6/21/2011   6/21/2011
Pros: Forced to reconfigure the course slightly due to the loss of some of the upper parking lot area, I think Keith Lionetti and the Chainbangerz Disc Golf Club created a fairly seemless transistion here. Granted, there are a couple of longer walkouts here but they're not ridiculous by any means. I feel the course still maintains a pretty good flow pattern. The first thing that springs to my mind here was the parking situation. Instead of parking in the upper lot, you now park in the lower lot near the bathrooms. I was unaware that this lot existed. There is not one but three brand new practice baskets here. I would have thought that one would have been adequate. I would have spent these extra funds on signage. The next item that jumps out at you are the wonderful extra long, grippy teepads and the great sprayed concrete benches at every hole. Nice touches both of these are for sure. The course redesign kept 13 of the orginal 18 including both of my personal favorites, the current # 18, a 400 ft. drive to a basket down in a lovely little valley and # 13, a short, maybe 150 ft. touch ACE run to a basket barely visible over the hill just before the ballfield. They've added two holes with short throws across the goose poo infested pond waters, # 1 and # 8. # 1 is probably less than 200 ft. with a couple of troublesome trees and bushes in the way. # 8 is a little longer, maybe 240 ft. slight hyser throw with a window to throw through. Even if you miss the window, it's fairly simple to just sail your disc into the trees/bushes here and avoid the pond water and it's plethora of hidden parasitic germs and microbes.
Cons: The current (summer 2011) lack of signs and I know that they are coming. Because the course is probably a few hundred feet shorter than before, it seems like more of a rec course to me now. I'm not sure if the advanced and higher player would find the challenge here. Aren't three brand new paractice baskets a touch overkill?

I'm not real keen on # 3. Many beginner/Rec type players are going to hyser their tee offs into the ugly thicket here. Maybe it will eventually get stomped down and won't be quite the problem.
Other Thoughts: Lakewood was one of the first courses I entered into my favorites and I'll leave it there after the new reconfiguration. I reckon that's probably the highest praise I can bestow upon both the design team and the course itself. I think this park is just one of the premier pieces of course land in the state with it's lovely rolling hills, green grass and mature trees. And the course continues to utilize those features to the maximum with it's over the water holes, ACE runs, tight wooded holes and the big air throws. There's something for most disc golfers here. This is one of the most versatile courses in the state and I have always enjoy it's challenges.