Starkville, MS
Lakeside Landing DGC Share
Uploaded By: Amorybulldog Hole #1 (Taken 8/2011)
3 / 240ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Cut The Grass!!!

5+    7/28/2012   7/29/2012
Review By: jtblount2
Pros: Good Tees
Good Signage
18 holes - as opposed to the other 9 hole courses in Starkville
Concrete tee pads
Short holes- fairly easy course
Cons: Rough, Rough, Rough.
Too short
Briars
Other Thoughts: First of all I would like to say if they would bush hog the grass, or at least try to maintain the roughs I would rate it at least a 3.

I have played this course many times since my girlfriend lives in the apartments right beside the course. Earlier in the year the rough was bearable but still annoying. I played today and it obviously has not been cut in who knows how long. On most holes it was impossible to stay out of rough, and I came very close to losing my discs. I spent at least 30 minutes looking for a disc on 2 different occasions, and my legs look like I got attacked.

Fun course

5+    5/9/2012   7/11/2012
Review By: Efan08
Pros: It's a nice addition to the 2 more difficult courses in Starkville. Good for when you want to practice all kinds of different short shots or if you want to go for ace runs. You can make some really interesting safari holes. The course has really nice baskets and tee pads.
Cons: The "rough" is really rough. I hate having to fight my way through some of that tall grass. Course is a little too easy and has a lot of the same shots, would've been nice to have a little better mixture.
Other Thoughts: You really only need a driver on a few holes. An advanced player could shoot under par with just a putter. The course is really awesome in the winter time when all of the tall grass is dead.

Lakeside Landing

1    8/31/2011   9/1/2011
Review By: Amorybulldog
Pros: Another course in Starkville is always good. Mowed fairways, good tee pads, decent signage. Fairly easy to navigate.
Cons: The roughs. I like the idea of roughs but once you have to venture into them a few times it really changes the game. I played with a once a year disc golfer and he stayed in the rough. Since he was older(65+)I volunteered to fetch his errant throws. The rough includes Johnson grass(aka razor grass to those in shorts), MS blackberry, and "Jesus" trees with up to 4 inch thorns. The thought of going back into the rough really wreaked havoc on my game. Had I worn pants it would have been no big deal.
Other Thoughts: Great little course. I would like to see them incorporate the lake a little more. It is short. One thing the folks that play this course aren't telling you is that it is a private course for the Lakeside residents and guests only. They don't seem to care right now but if the traffic picks up on this course they will. I'd say play it while you have the chance.

Had 4 bogies and still shot -5 so the course is pretty easy.

2-4    7/21/2011   7/22/2011
Review By: Jacob Edwards
Pros: Short course to shoot under par on and Boost your Confidence.
Good Mix of Shots.(Hyzers and Anhyzers)
Nice Baskets.
Nice change of pace from the 2 - 9 Hole courses on campus.

Cons: Short Course and Short Holes, Didn't need my whole bag. I took a Roc, Putter, and Fairway Driver.
About 3 holes are over 300 feet.
Hard to find Discs that don't land in the fairway. Thick brush with briars and thorn trees have have some pretty wicked thorns on them. Be careful going into the brush.
Other Thoughts: Although the course is short there are a couple of challenging gaps to hit from the tee box, which makes this course really fun to play.

So, you wanna shoot under par?

5+    6/15/2011   6/16/2011
Review By: MSUdiscgolf
Pros: -It's a disc golf course located in Starkville.
-Nice baskets.
-Located next to a pool for a quick cool down afterplay.
-Concrete teepads.
-Nice tee signs for each hole.
-Well manicured fairways and greens.
-Short course, good for sneaking in a quick round when time is of the essence. (I can play a full round in about 45-50 min)
-Nice mixture of backhands and forehands (or anhyzers, depending on how you do things).
-Good course to introduce new players, and to keep newer players coming back.
Cons: -Almost too easy, a few challenging holes (ADV player and my first 4 rounds were -8, -9, -1, & -11)
-Fairly easy to lose a disc(s) if you miss the fairways, the rough consists of waist high brush infested with briars and some pretty nasty anthills.
-Haven't seen any yet, but being by a lake and all the tall brush seems like a good spot for snakes.
Other Thoughts: Overall, the guys did a good job with what they had to work with. I understand that the front 9 (all pretty much open holes) will eventually be moved at a later date. The cut fairways and extreme rough look nice, but I promise you don't want to be in the briars, even with that said, an errant shot still leaves you with a fairly easy par (only 3 bogeys in 4 rounds for me). No real signature hole comes to mind when reviewing this course. Several blind shots throughout the course, including hole 15 that brings a little water into play if you go long. I'll continue to play this course for some variation, and encourage others in the area to play it as well, however wouldn't travel a long distance with playing this course my sole purpose. Once again, this course may change in the future, therefore, my review may need to be updated.

MSU Disc Golf- 2009 National Champions