Mount Vernon, OH
MVNU DGC Share

Nice college course

1    4/21/2014   4/22/2014
Review By: thebuckeyeguy
Pros: There is a nice mix of shots here. Obstacles that you don't usually see come into play (a satellite disc), there is some elevation used, nice hazards (a decent-sized creek is used on holes 3 and 9 and I suppose could affect an errant drive on holes 2 and 8, and a corn field lines the 500+ foot fairway of hole 5. Also, hole 8 has some nice rough to the right that makes you stay left). The flow, once you know where to go, is actually pretty good. Looking back, they really didn't use that much land, and the fact that there was that much variation in that little space really added an extra .5 disc to my rating.
Cons: No real signage. I believe that 7 of the 9 holes had a post but no distance. No course map or welcome sign. No benches, trash cans, or practice basket (not that you can't just putt at any basket, but these things affect a rating IMO). Natural pads.
Other Thoughts: Not that it's THAT big of a deal, but hole 1 technically does start by the bridge, and that doesn't make sense; if I return I will start at hole 2 (by the gazebo) because then "hole 1's" tee and "hole 9's" basket would be near the parking lot. The way it is now you walk from the lot down 1's fairway to get to the tee, and finish at hole 9 a few hundred yards from the parking lot.
Since there is no map available (at time of this post) I'll try to help out as I got lost (I am starting at the technical hole 1 by the bridge, not my suggested hole 1 by the gazebo). Holes 1-3 are in the front main area, with hole 3 being one of the better holes I've played on a college campus. Cross the bridge for hole 4, and as the path turns to the right, walk up the hill on your right. There is no marker there, but you are essentially playing over a valley about 350 or so. After hole 4 proceed to the left of the cornfield, up the hill. Hole 5 plays 500+ between the cornfield and the satellite disc (I imagine that in July/August that cornfield is a nice little hazard). Hole 6's tee will be on the right and the basket is behind the last pine, 7 is a little anhyzer (RHBH), 8 is easy to spot, and 9 has no marker. A local told me to go along the tree line and look for the bird house (it is about 100 feet from 4's basket). From there it's a nice anhyzer over the creek and trees to the basket.
I saw a few students playing which was nice. I've played maybe 6 or 7 campus courses, and this is probably my second favorite. I believe that it was installed by some students so they did a really good job. It's a course that I won't go out of my way to play, but if I'm in the area I would most definitely stop back.

New to MVNU

1    11/8/2011   11/8/2011
Review By: munky
Pros: several holes were over 300' with one being 550'. #9 was one cool shot over a creek. #3 was nice also as it plays alongside a creek.
Cons: i suggest sing tape on the rim of the basket to show where the next tee is. personally i dislike baskets that only have one set of chains. the review by danhyzer covered all the other cons i have so i wont bother to list them.
Other Thoughts: a course overview sign would be nice.

Nice DGC to play

1    9/10/2011   9/11/2011
Review By: danhyzer
Pros: I personally loved hole # 9. It was over 400' long and the basket couldn't be seen from the teeing area. But once you knew where the basket was the hole got even better as you want to drive an anhyzer (RHBH player) past the quaking aspen tree (the tallest tree on the fairway) to the left and cross the creek. There's actually a ford that one can cross instead of walking all the way back and over the wooden bridge, But I'm warning ya right now that the ford is slippery when wet so be carefull when crossing.

good balance of lefty righty holes.

Cons: Hole # 1 sarts at the wooden bridge and not @ the gazebo as the main page says.

poor signage, yes there is a tee markers, but it doesn't show the layout of the hole, so on a couple of holes I had to walk up to see where the basket was before I threw.

Grass was kinda high on most of the course after you crossed the wooden bridge to the back portion of the DGc.

Looked like Lighting baskets, nothing wrong with Lighting baskets but I prefer DGA. a couple baskets where already leaning instead of being steadily planted into the ground.

Other Thoughts: I don't know how much room they have on the campus, but this DGC gives the students and the community of Mt. Vernon a good challenging DGC to play. If they have more room I would only hope that they have future expansion as this campus was very pretty and has potential for a really sweet DGC.