Mount Vernon, OH
MVNU DGC Share
Uploaded By: m1shootr Hole #9 (Taken 10/2014)

Pretty campus fun nine

2-4    6/28/2016   6/30/2016
Review By: sisyphus
Pros: You will enjoy the pretty park scenery and creek views playing this nine hole course on the campus of MVNU, especially if you have a little extra distance in your arm. With holes ranging from a little over 230 to 595 feet, the course is marked by 4x4 posts and deep baskets, just south of the campus proper. After parking near the ninth basket and the gazebo, walk around the structure for the open, level hole 1, then turn to the left and see that the majestic pines have grown since the course was installed, forcing a shaped shot, left to right, if you want to avoid the creek (and you do).

Then go to the bridge (where you'll find a small map of the course), crossing over and uphill to the right for the third hole, then going deeper to the southeast to the next open field for holes 4 (the longest, past the satellite dish, to the corner of the cornfield), 5 with its basket just past the row of monster pines (do not get under them: they're a maze of branches), a nifty, true left to right shaped shot 6th, and an ace run 7th hole. You'll go back northwest (passing the 3rd basket), and throw from the top of the slope down to a landing zone by the pathside lamp for the gap across the creek and the right-turning 8th, before going back to the foot of the bridge to finish on the open hole 9.

The 8th hole is definitely the most memorable here, but overall, it's going to be a fun, fairly quick round for a recreational to intermediate level player.
Cons: The course suffers a little from only having natural tees, a lack of elevation (striking on all but two holes: 3 & 8), the baskets boasting only a single ring of chains, and in that there are tee signs missing (or at least very difficult to find) on 3 & 8. I got the impression that the course was put in when these pines were much smaller, because the flight lines on 2 & 5 really seem to have tightened up. The signature hole 8 is interesting if played with a mando as intended, but I guarantee that big arm youths throw overhand directly at the basket, risking throwing blindly to the street beyond. Amd after 8, you have to backtrack a bit along that same, blind fairway. Finally, it's very odd not to NOT find a map until you get to the bridge, and that the course is really kind of broken up into three regions.
Other Thoughts: This is the more fun, and better established course of the two in Mt Vernon, the other being Thayer Ridge.

Reviewer Background as of this writing: played 270 courses and written 253 reviews, with skills hovering around a 900 rating, I started playing at 50 and am now 55. I don't throw far (300 footers feel like success), but am addicted to DG, and have played with folks ranging from age 7 to 87, so I try to write reviews helpful to all.

Decent College Layout Lacking Frills

5+    7/15/2014   7/15/2014
Review By: Sid67
Pros: - Located in a park-like, very pretty part of the campus that is out of the way of normal campus foot-traffic.
- Pretty good layout, with some variety of shots and good use of the trees, obstacles, and creek.
- Well-mowed and maintained.
- Several benches.
- Decent baskets.
- Not busy at all, although you might see picnic'ers or people walking on the walking path. The people I've seen walking were friendly.
- Lots of shade.
- Very clean, despite a lack of trashcans.
- Beginner friendly. Not too long or hard, but still enough variety to be interesting for a round or two for a more experienced player. My GF and I just started playing this year, and find it to be a good challenge.
Cons: - No signage or course map posted.
- No tee pads. Tees are marked by wooden posts. Just tee off beside the post. A few holes do have kick-rails to mark the front of the tee.
- Some of the tees are not visible from the previous basket. Navigating the course will be tricky for the first-time player. I uploaded a rough course map which you should print out or have available on a mobile device, or you probably wont find all the holes.
- Since this is a Christian campus, alcohol is prohibited and even smoking is frowned upon. Some might consider this a negative, but it is also a positive in that I haven't see a single cigarette butt littering the course in several outings.
- Probably too easy to really challenge advanced players, although I think the variety and beauty of the area would make it worthwhile for anyone to play at least once.

Other Thoughts: This is my home course, as I live in Mt. Vernon. While it lacks many amenities, I prefer it to the other course in the area (Thayer Ridge), mostly because it is a more interesting layout, with a winding creek, lots of mature trees, and some wood-lined and field-lined holes. I get to use several discs and shot-types. It is not long, but it's not a pitch-and-putt either - there are opportunities for driver. Some of the holes are open, but others force you to shape shots around or through trees, and some of the baskets are guarded.

Unfortunately the lack of signage and proper teepads makes the course feel unfinished - like the university gave up on it or ran out of money. Which is a shame, because with a little more attention to amenities, such as proper tee-pads, tee signs, and a course map, this could be quite a good 9-holer, and would probably warrant 3.5 stars (instead of the 2.5 stars I gave it).

NOTE: Other reviewers have said that the course technically starts by the bridge. As there is no course map posted and no signage, I don't play it that way, and neither do the other locals I've talked to and played with. The course flows much better if you start at the gazebo, and that is the way I drew the course map that I uploaded here. I recommend you play it that way, especially if you are arriving by car and parking in the parking lot.

Nice college course

1    4/21/2014   4/22/2014
Review By: thebuckeyeguy
Pros: There is a nice mix of shots here. Obstacles that you don't usually see come into play (a satellite disc), there is some elevation used, nice hazards (a decent-sized creek is used on holes 3 and 9 and I suppose could affect an errant drive on holes 2 and 8, and a corn field lines the 500+ foot fairway of hole 5. Also, hole 8 has some nice rough to the right that makes you stay left). The flow, once you know where to go, is actually pretty good. Looking back, they really didn't use that much land, and the fact that there was that much variation in that little space really added an extra .5 disc to my rating.
Cons: No real signage. I believe that 7 of the 9 holes had a post but no distance. No course map or welcome sign. No benches, trash cans, or practice basket (not that you can't just putt at any basket, but these things affect a rating IMO). Natural pads.
Other Thoughts: Not that it's THAT big of a deal, but hole 1 technically does start by the bridge, and that doesn't make sense; if I return I will start at hole 2 (by the gazebo) because then "hole 1's" tee and "hole 9's" basket would be near the parking lot. The way it is now you walk from the lot down 1's fairway to get to the tee, and finish at hole 9 a few hundred yards from the parking lot.
Since there is no map available (at time of this post) I'll try to help out as I got lost (I am starting at the technical hole 1 by the bridge, not my suggested hole 1 by the gazebo). Holes 1-3 are in the front main area, with hole 3 being one of the better holes I've played on a college campus. Cross the bridge for hole 4, and as the path turns to the right, walk up the hill on your right. There is no marker there, but you are essentially playing over a valley about 350 or so. After hole 4 proceed to the left of the cornfield, up the hill. Hole 5 plays 500+ between the cornfield and the satellite disc (I imagine that in July/August that cornfield is a nice little hazard). Hole 6's tee will be on the right and the basket is behind the last pine, 7 is a little anhyzer (RHBH), 8 is easy to spot, and 9 has no marker. A local told me to go along the tree line and look for the bird house (it is about 100 feet from 4's basket). From there it's a nice anhyzer over the creek and trees to the basket.
I saw a few students playing which was nice. I've played maybe 6 or 7 campus courses, and this is probably my second favorite. I believe that it was installed by some students so they did a really good job. It's a course that I won't go out of my way to play, but if I'm in the area I would most definitely stop back.

New to MVNU

1    11/8/2011   11/8/2011
Review By: munky
Pros: several holes were over 300' with one being 550'. #9 was one cool shot over a creek. #3 was nice also as it plays alongside a creek.
Cons: i suggest sing tape on the rim of the basket to show where the next tee is. personally i dislike baskets that only have one set of chains. the review by danhyzer covered all the other cons i have so i wont bother to list them.
Other Thoughts: a course overview sign would be nice.

Nice DGC to play

1    9/10/2011   9/11/2011
Review By: danhyzer
Pros: I personally loved hole # 9. It was over 400' long and the basket couldn't be seen from the teeing area. But once you knew where the basket was the hole got even better as you want to drive an anhyzer (RHBH player) past the quaking aspen tree (the tallest tree on the fairway) to the left and cross the creek. There's actually a ford that one can cross instead of walking all the way back and over the wooden bridge, But I'm warning ya right now that the ford is slippery when wet so be carefull when crossing.

good balance of lefty righty holes.

Cons: Hole # 1 sarts at the wooden bridge and not @ the gazebo as the main page says.

poor signage, yes there is a tee markers, but it doesn't show the layout of the hole, so on a couple of holes I had to walk up to see where the basket was before I threw.

Grass was kinda high on most of the course after you crossed the wooden bridge to the back portion of the DGc.

Looked like Lighting baskets, nothing wrong with Lighting baskets but I prefer DGA. a couple baskets where already leaning instead of being steadily planted into the ground.

Other Thoughts: I don't know how much room they have on the campus, but this DGC gives the students and the community of Mt. Vernon a good challenging DGC to play. If they have more room I would only hope that they have future expansion as this campus was very pretty and has potential for a really sweet DGC.