Grand Rapids (Kentwood), MI
Uploaded By: Greg Layton Hole #4

Midrange/Putter Course

1    6/6/2010   6/8/2010
Review By: brandi8326
Pros: Nice baskets. At first when we drove up we thought the course was going to be pretty nice. If you are looking for a mid range or putting course it would make an awesome course. This would make an perfect beginners course.
Cons: Very short holes. Being a women and just starting not long ago these baskets are still not very challenging for me. I didn't feel challenged at all. I was able to drive it to the basket no problem and even overdrive it on some. Seriously I dont know why they have ladies tee pads at this course. Plus the baskets are right on top of one another so you have discs flying at your head the whole time. Could use some concrete tee pads.
Other Thoughts: If you are just starting this would make a great course to start at. It was a very busy course with people on top of you and discs flying at you the whole time. Other than that if you need to work on your short game this is a great course if its not busy.

Old Farm

5+    5/11/2010   5/14/2010
Review By: apdrvya
This review was updated on 8/8/2012
Pros: Great variety of holes from tunnel shots, to heavily wooded, to wide open, to Left and Right Mandos, to Water holes, to moderate elevation changes. very well maintained with bridges and pathways. Easy to follow course from left parking lot to right parking lot.
Cons: Clay pads. City of Kentwood needs to put in some cement pads. Very busy park, always have wait time for teeing off, and some large groups don't have the etiquette to let the two of us pass by. The retention pond is pretty gross if you lose a disc.
Other Thoughts: This is our favorite park so far. We are beginners and the variety of holes here is great. it's a nice short course in certain places and a long course in others. Gives us lots of practice and thats what we need!

Compact and creative.

2-4    4/10/2010   4/11/2010
Review By: volklgirl
This review was updated on 5/16/2010
Pros: This course sits in small park tucked into a slightly upscale neighborhood. It's an unlikely spot to find a course this fun!

The #1 tee is right at the parking lot, and the course layout loops around the small park, bringing you right back to your car. No real problem finding your way around here, just look for the head-high signs with the hole # and pin direction etched in in full color! In general, the layout does a fairly good job of avoiding most other users in the park.

The course design makes excellent use of every available terrain feature, elevation change, and vegetation variety in this park! Holes #1, #9-#11, and #15-18 are wide open, basically straight drives, with #15 and #17 flirting with the pond on the property. Holes #2-#3, #5, #7 and #12-#13 are fairly heavily wooded with #5 and #12 being the only right curving holes on the course. Hole #3, with it's mandatory hard left and #2 through the woods and over the creek were particularly interesting. #4, #6, #8, and #14 skirt around the outside of the wooded areas with baskets tucked into the woods or next to the river for added interest. The mandos on #3 and #6 help to keep the challenge factor high.

The majority of holes are under 300', keeping beginners throwing happily, while the longer holes and diverse layout will keep better players from being totally bored.

The dirt tee boxes, while not my favorite, are mostly level and offer solid footing when dry.

There's little chance of losing a disc here, unless you plunk it into the stream or the pond.
Cons: In a park this small, tee boxes close to other baskets and tight, parallel fairways are inevitable. There are several places where back-ups happen and the risk of getting hit with a disc on a busy day is high. Walking directly behind the #17 pin to get to the #16 tee is particularly disturbing, as is the placement of the #15 tee almost directly on the walking path.

The long, straight, parallel holes #9-#11 are both dangerous and monotonous.

Clay soil and low lying areas means the course stays pretty soggy after a rain or during the wet seasons. In addition, I'd guess that the tee boxes get slimey and slippery during a rain.

The tee signs lack any mention of footage or mandos and are currently covered with unsightly ace markings and other graffiti.
Other Thoughts: I was beyond surprised at how fun this course was! The hole layout kept me challenged and interested and the shorter lengths kept this noodle-arm from being totally frustrated. I will definitely be back!

Waste of baskets.

1    12/24/2009   12/24/2009
Review By: DangeRuss
Pros: I tried to think of one thing good and I can't. You might be able to get an ace?
Cons: Mostly everything. I played this course a couple months ago after leaving Earl Brewer park (go there if in the GR area). I asked one of the locals which is the best course in the area we could go to. He recommended Old Farm Park. First thing, this is the weirdest placement for a course because it is basically in a neighborhood where you'd never think there would be a disc golf course. It was pretty hard to find. Ok now the course. All of the holes are very short and and stupid. Most of the short holes are in the woods and have absolutely no line to the basket. I'm not talking about a direct line...im saying there is no way to throw a hyzer, anhyzer, thumber, sidearm, skip shot, or anything. You are going to throw it into a tree and probably get a deuce. That is not fun for me. There are a couple holes that are open but are stupid as well. Helen Keller could of designed a better course than this.

The signs for the holes looks like a toddler drew them. Two of the final holes had so much goose poop on the fairway that I would have rather thrown it into the water. When I was there I was stuck behind about 5 groups of 8 people (I was pissed about this but even if I had the course to myself I would have hated this course). I can't remember how the teepads were but they probably sucked too. The parking lot is about the size of my driveway which made parking a hassle.
Other Thoughts: I wish my first review was not something so hateful but I had to let the discgolf world know that if you have ANY other option...take it. I have played some pretty bad courses in my day but this one takes the cake by far. The only way I would ever play this course again would be if someone threatened my life if I didn't play it. Even then I would think about it.

A Halfway Decent Course

2-4    10/12/2009   10/12/2009
Review By: chad groen
This review was updated on 10/3/2012
Pros: I like the layouts for some of these holes, including the 14th and 15th. The trees make for some tough obstacles throughout this course, especially for the holes in the woods (about half the holes are in the woods). Those holes encourage you to focus more on accuracy with your drives, and the trees can sometimes set you up for some tricky putts and approach shots. The open holes are a little longer and have nice grassy fairways. There's a pond which comes into play on the 15th hole and kind of also the 17th hole. The 1st and 10th baskets are each located on top of a small mound, and there's a nice, scenic design for the area around the 10th and 18th baskets.
Cons: Having no cement tee pads is a big negative to me, and the signs for each hole aren't very helpful (to top it off, they're all covered in graffiti). I'm utterly baffled as to why there's no bridge for players to use to cross over that big muddy creek between holes 4 and 5. Most of the holes in the woods are extremely short and narrow, and some of them have almost no fairways for players to use. Two of them are so short that the baskets can be reached with a putter on your opening drive. Some of the wooded holes are real close to each other, so be on the lookout for flying discs on a busy day. Also, the ground on the wooded holes is mostly dirt with big roots sticking out. On the flip side, most of the holes outside the woods are too wide open and really lack obstacles. With all that said, I feel like this course is too "black and white" - the holes are either heavily wooded or really open. It's nice that it doesn't favor one side over the other, but the problem is that it doesn't blend the two together, with the exception of only a few holes. You basically go from one extreme to the other. Also, the 18th fairway is inconveniently located next to a shelter, so you need to be careful with your opening drive when people are using that shelter.
Other Thoughts: Overall, this park provides a nice environment for disc golf, and it's a halfway decent course for players who live in this area. There are some challenging holes that I like, but for the most part this seems more like a beginner-friendly course due to it's short length on the wooded holes and lack of obstacles on the holes outside the woods. Some of the wooded holes, however, can be frustrating to play because of how poorly they're set up.

Great little 18

5+    9/18/2009   9/19/2009
Review By: Terry C
This review was updated on 7/4/2010
Pros: -well placed doglegs
-good balance of holes going left and right.
-I like the mixture of woodsy holes to open fairway shot holes.
-good tee signs
-water in play on 2 holes
Cons: -pretty small park for 18 holes: not really a con for me but for some maybe
-dirt tee pads
-very little elevation
-gets very busy
-the center of the park is a playground usually overfilled with obnoxious unsupervised kids from the neighborhood.
-cops hang out in the parking lot sometimes which is a pro because of the stupid kids that hang out there but for me cops are irritating to my mello, thus the cop patrols fit in the con category.
Other Thoughts: I live very close to this park and it offers every challenge i need to enjoy myself there, I play there every couple days all summer long, its worth a short drive to play for sure, you wont be dissapointed unless you are expecting a tough, long, monster course which this definitely is not. You can play 18 holes here in 40 minutes if the park is empty and maybe 1 hour to an hour and a half if its busy. 1st ace ever on #16 ( 255 feet) 11/28/09 5:15 pm.

Good times

5+    8/21/2009   8/27/2009
Review By: setebos
Pros: Great use of land, really fun little course. Lots of short holes made more difficult by trees, water, and mandos.
Cons: No tee pads, somewhat cramped; some fairways are pretty close together.
Other Thoughts: Overall a great, quick little course.

Simultaneously fun and shoddy

2-4    7/17/2009   7/26/2009
Review By: rbrown87
Pros: Short, technical holes with a couple mandos are fun. Three longer holes offer some variety.

Generally good pin placement given the small amount of space.

Kids will get your disc out of the shallow water hazard (pond) for a small fee.

Well maintained, mowed, etc.

Wooded and open shots. Manageably technical; good intermediate course.

Flat, easy walk.
Cons: Crowded with players and park go-ers.

Some hole overlap can cause a wait or a disc in the ankle.

Course can be a bit confusing. You need to back track at least once.

Lay-out seems a tad uninspired.
Other Thoughts: A course worth playing if you're in the area. I wouldn't go out of my way for it, but it's a nice change of pace. The crowd is way more manageable during the daytime.

5+    6/4/2009   6/11/2009
Review By: Adaven
Pros: Old Farm is a beautiful park in the summer nice shade and a comfortable walk. The baskets on the course are in good condition and the mandos are perfectly placed on some of the short holes, which add some slight difficulty to otherwise easy holes. I would describe this course as technical (lots and lots of trees), although short, which may be good or bad depending on how you like to play (its a plus for me). The course, to be played well requires many different types of shots but can be played easily enough by someone who only throws one style.
Cons: As mentioned above, if you don't like technical courses or you want to test your distance, then this isn't a good course for you. setup of the 2nd and 3rd hole isn't very good, you usually have to wait at the 2nd for people on the 3rd to drive. Although i like the trees they can be a nuisance, especially on 7, 13, and 14. holes 9,10 and 11 are side by side so you have to be very careful you don't hit someone with an errant drive or get hit yourself. Finally, in the late afternoons (5:30 or so) this course can be extremely busy, and it gets pretty congested on the front nine.
Other Thoughts: Although this course has a lot of negatives it has become one of my favorites. If you stick with it the course can help you learn control, and requires you to develop many shots. I firmly believe playing this course has improved my game at many other parks. Also, I should mention the water, beware RHBH players the water is gross so if you throw it in you probably wont want to go in after it.

A very fun round of DG

1    6/1/2009   6/1/2009
Review By: Doktor John
Pros: Very unique use of limited space
Well thought out to provide maximum challange on short distances
Good use of Mando shots to create challenge
Intuitive flow--good signage
Opportunity to use various strategies and shots
Not much conflict with regular park users
Short enough for beginners to enjoy and not be frustrated
Cons: Natural tees--uneven footing at times
"Big Arm" players and non-technical players could get frustrated (basically a pitch and putt course)--oddly though, I think a beginner would enjoy it...just watch out for them throwing a hyzer into the "lake" on 15 :)
There could be an arguement made that it could have been kept to 9 or 12 holes...but I think the answer to that is try perfecting different throws, ie. playing the whole course just forehand (now that would be a HUGE challenge on this course for a righty--but it takes the weaknesses of this course and uses them to create a more versatile arsenal for playing various courses
Other Thoughts: I played on a Sunday morning and it was empty...there was a foursome about 5 holes ahead of me and that was it...
I think this course was a light, refreshing way to spend some time playing DG...
If you haven't played it based on the other reviews...I would go out there and play it--I don't think you'll regret it...
Next time I'm in GR, I'll probably go play it because it's pretty close to the hotel I stay at and I think it's unique enough to invest and hour or so to play