Canton, TX
Cherry Creek Park Share
Uploaded By: NateDogg Hole #11 (Taken 1/2012)
4 / 127ft.   4 / 274ft.   4 / 319ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:

2-4    7/23/2014   7/28/2014
Review By: Circusgary
Pros: Back 9 gonna keep you on your game. Can't wait to get back. Front nine clean and simple in the park.
Cons: A little confusing on tee placement. I have it now but took a couple times through. Don't write on the baskets!

surprisingly fun

2-4    3/1/2014   3/2/2014
Review By: jtmoney
Pros: Some real fun holes- the red is great for kids- The back nine is fun
Cons: A walking trail circles through the course and places some walkers in dangerous proximity of a disc- on one hole the walking trail cuts through the fairway.

Cherry Creek

2-4    1/15/2013   1/21/2013
Review By: denglish
Pros: This Course is a blast, The back nine is pretty crazy at some points. A LOT of fun shots. the course is VERY well maintained. Loved the fact that the blues are totally different from the whites. makes the course look entirely different. There are tee signs on each whole along with a huge course map at the start.
Cons: Watch out for the widow-maker trees you'll hear a snap often from the limbs. A few of the holes were luck shots the fun factor was still there though.
Other Thoughts: Normally not a big fan of natural tees, but on this course it really works out well. There seems to be a very active group of players for this course. the people who run/play the minis are very friendly and seem to have fun while playing.

I'm impressed

1    1/7/2012   1/7/2012
Review By: chalos13
This review was updated on 7/24/2013
Pros: This course is well planned. The front nine is inside a walking trail, mostly flat, with well placed baskets that get you good and warmed up. If you don't get par on most of these, it's your fault. Then you hit the back nine, which follows a creek through the woods. You've got several tunnels, several shots where the basket skirts the edge of the creek bringing a steep drop off into play with water, and several more that you need some precision and a lot of luck to get a good drive. As it says, every hole has 3 tees, all easily marked. The blue and white (we played white) are placed well and typically spaced apart, with the red being in some cases half the distance of blue. I can easily see this being perfect for wives or playing with your kids. Most of the reds are in Ace Race territory, so you could easily play a quick 9 from there after 18. The course isn't very long, but there are some hills on the back, so the walk is a decent workout. Signs are on every blue tee for distances and par. There's a nice bathroom as well.
Cons: This is a very nice park, so on a weekend you will have walkers and other players to deal with. The walking path does come into play in a few places, so be careful. The course was crowded for an East Texas course, but everyone was friendly. Several of the holes on the back 9 were not tunnel holes, but crazy luck holes. you might get a great drive, but then there are still 15 trees between you and the basket for your approach.
Other Thoughts: This course has had a lot of work go into it. The tees, signs, navigation and baskets are all great. You can tell on the back nine they've done a lot of clearing and burned the stumps in places. Someone has even gone through and painted orange some of the smaller stumps that you'd probably trip on. This course feels similar to UT Tyler's course, in that it's an simple, straightforward front 9 and a tough back nine. I can easily see this being the course to take your wife or girlfriend to, as the front nine is a great place for lower power throwers or people learning to play. I saw more women on this course playing than really any other course I've been to. There's a completely awesome playground at this park as well, that we had trouble staying off of because how awesome it is. Bring the kids, bring the wife, and have a really good day at Cherry Creek.
Update: a year and a half later played this one again. They've added a bunch of alternate tees that add a good challenge to many of the holes, but these are not marked on the tee signs. My niece played with us and the red tees are perfect for beginers or younger players, wish more courses had this.

The Improvements Are Working!

2-4    12/17/2011   12/18/2011
Review By: NateDogg
Pros: 1. Great for beginners and yet challenging enough for seasoned players. The 3 tee boxes on every hole (blue-white-red) also add to this beginner/seasoned abilities too!

2. Overall fun factor here is huge!

3. Front 9 is a great warmup and the back 9 is one heck of a challenge

4. Great amenities (especially the really nice bathrooms) and the double loop/figure 8 design of the course with those right in the middle of the loop make it very convienent.

5. The brush has really been cleared out lately making many off-the-fairway shots next to impossible now possible.

6. Great signage including a huge map for the front 9 right when you pull up and a full map on the restroom facilities of the whole course.

7. Enough shade on the front 9 and plenty on the back 9 for the hotter months.

8. Park is always very clean, and the locals we've run into are always very nice.

9. Bridges on the back 9 are great! The city built bridges to cross a couple of the major creek points on holes 16 and 17 which makes it really nice to get around these holes.

10. Pretty hard to lose a disc on this course, only a couple deeper creeks areas on 16 and 17, but elsewise retreivable everywhere else on this course.

Probably a lot more for me to list, but can't right now.
Cons: 1. Although the signage is great, it does seem that after finishing hole 2, it's a little confusing to newbs on this course as hole 6 (even though labeled) looks like it would be hole 3 tee boxes. Not really a huge deal by any means, nor really that big if of a "con" but worth noting if you are going to try this course for the first time.

2. Tee boxes - I love the 3 tee boxes setup with White being "regular", Blue as "advanced", and the Red being more "beginner" tees. My complaint though is they are all dirt, mostly sandy mix that is brought in for each which is nice and packs down a bit, but they are not level and your foot slides easily. I would really like to see concrete tee pads, but I know this is an expense the city will have to take on. The rubber test mat as mentioned in the previous review was "ok" but definitely lacking, I'll expound below.

3. Bring boots or hard shoes, you will stub your toe(s) everywhere on this course, especially the back 9. The clearing done for this course and especially the recent clearing (not a con) has left little stumps all about 2-3 inches sticking out of the ground. There are a few in the major walking areas spray painted orange, but it is a major pain in the butt.

4. I think this is hole 12 I'm referring too, those who have played it will know what I'm talking about. The tees are great and the basket at the top of the "ridge" makes it challenging as a layup for putts. My "con" is that after the recent rains, it seems that "bowl" in front of the ridge may become more of a small pond. Although this will definitely add to the challenge of this hole and be even more fun, I can also see the potentional based on throwing lanes for this to become a disc eater. For the most part Cherry Creek Park is a place that is hard to lose a disc at, and hole 12 may change that if we get the rain to fill up that bowl.
Other Thoughts: I love playing Cherry Creek Park! I look forward to it every time I get to make the trip from my house to go play it. Yesterday's play was amazing, we all played a round from the whites and then went back to play a "fun run" from the reds. After a tie between my brother and I on the fun run, we started playing the blue tees for a tie breaker and finished just before dark. This course is a must for anyone going east of DFW or living in the area. Easily enough of a course for beginners (especially the red tees) and challenging enough for expereinced players from the whites and definitely the blue tees. The fun factor here is HUGE and worth your time to make this a regular stop not far off of I-20. I highly recommend this course and when I can make the trip east I will every time!

For the previous reviewer, the rubber mat is a nice idea, but personally my vote is thumbs down. The mat itself is too short, not level, and in our Texas heat and summers I see it cracking and being replaced every few years. I would much rather see the city spend the money on concrete tee pads or perhaps host some tourneys or fundraisers to help offset the cost of the concrete pads. Just my $.02 :)

Course improvements

1    12/3/2011   12/3/2011
Review By: npsteve5
Pros: If you haven't been out to the course before 12-3-11 you need to check it out. So much brush has been removed and it is finally wet enough to burn away fallen trees. We love it. Its only a weeks worth of work.
Other Thoughts: The city of Canton and the CDGC is 100% commited to the improvement of this park. We are placing a test rubber tee-pad on hole 1 in the next two weeks. If the players like it we will move forward installing them on all the tee-boxes. Look for this course to have a serious amount of attention for the next 3 months. you can not miss seeing the improvements.

Awesome course!

1    11/19/2011   11/19/2011
Review By: cdadams1223
Pros: So many positives that I'm sure I'll miss some:
-Great basket arrangement/placement
-Excellent mix of easy to challenging shots
-Great signage and easy to navigate
-Love the fact that there's three tee pads to choose from
-Nice elevation changes throughout the course
-The back 9 is drastically different from the front and was more challenging, but very fun
-Love the bridges over the creek beds. No water there right now but when it's present it could make things more interesting. :)
-Good parking, nice bathrooms, etc.
Cons: Not many. As a matter of fact the only con I'd say right now is lack of concrete tee boxes. Currently it is a packed sand that is fairly loose. It could make for some unstable releases but I didn't find that to be the case today. It was well packed, probably from a previous rain.

Also, there's a significant amount of brush on hole 11 I think that somewhat interferes with one's shot, but my brother and I were able to circumvent it.
Other Thoughts: Like I said, this is a great new course that everyone should enjoy, beginners and pros alike. It offers easy to challenging holes w/ a variety of shots. The setting is absolutely beautiful with all the tall trees. There's a playground as well so you can bring your kiddos to play for a bit. It's not too far from the local Dairy Palace which I hear is good eatin'. :)

We'll be back for sure! Way to go guys at Life Disc Sports! You've built a darn good course!

What a BLAST!

1    8/27/2011   8/27/2011
Review By: eegor
Pros: Played the blue tees (three tees per hole) and needed every shot I know off of the tees. There are no boring holes on this course. Almost all of the tees are in the shade. Very technical! Elevation changes on the back nine. The course gets harder and harder. Very good signs.

Nice new restroom. Map of full course at the restroom. Awesome playground for the kids. Nice walking path around the front nine that really doesn't come into play. Very family friendly. Nice park in general.
Cons: Sand tees. I didn't really find them that bad, but concrete might be better.

Not close enough to my house. I might move.
Other Thoughts: It was worth the hour and ten minute drive from my house. I will be back. The fun factor is off the scale. There are enough trees to trip up even the best players. Close games can and will be back and forth in a game of inches on the back nine. Bring your friends, this course is too fun in competition to play alone.

Canton be Proud!!!

1    7/16/2011   7/16/2011
Review By: CTRobuck
Pros: First off this course has three sets of tees, and even with such a tough back nine, the 3rd set of tees makes it fair for even the newest disc thrower. The Front 9 is set within a walking track and has strategically placed tees and baskets to make it fun and technical. Thumbers, BH, FH even rollers are there and birdies can be made on the front. But, then the Back 9!! Very tough from the back tees. It is similar to Dogwood (Lindsey Gold/Tyler) or the Lakes Course in Nacogdoches. Very tight, tons of trees and even a small creek here and there. The Back 9 is definitely much tougher than the front.
Cons: Dirt Tees - I have terrible, I mean TERRIBLE knees and dirt tees make me nervous. I can't get the same rip on a BH on dirt as I do concrete and don't trust uneven surfaces, but I still play but with less power.

Back 9 - The Back 9 will be great once the trees get moved out that the storms uprooted. On a couple holes trees have fallen in the middle of fairways, but once they get moved out this con will definitely go away.

I believe hole 12 is the hole that has a huge tree down, it may not look like it but there is a line way right!!
Other Thoughts: This course is definitely worth the drive from Tyler for me. If you live within an hour or so I would definitely make the time to give this place a throw.

Hell Ya East TX

2-4    6/25/2011   6/25/2011
Review By: Roc1Time
Pros: Very sweet course with three tees for every hole. The different tees are set up well for the different level of players too. You will need every shot in your bag to score well. Get your birds on the front because you will need them on the back. The front isnt as open as the description states, and the back is very technical. Nothing boring here at all. There are multiple lines for every hole out here which makes it fun for all levels of players and favors nobody but the consistant player. The trees on the front are trimmed nice and there are no low hanging branches that hang or get in the way. Tees are clearly marked for every hole with painted wooden posts and 1 tee sign per hole. Nice natural sandy tees on the front make for a plus. Discatchers are new and nice as well. The yellow wedding band is a welcome sight in the woods. The park is well taken care of with restrooms, trashcans, and even a park for the non-golfers. There are very nice tee signs and maps right when you start to help with navigation.
Cons: Some of the back is still rough as it just went in the ground. Lots of underbrush still there and lots of hanging limbs/vines that havent been cleaned up yet. Some of the tees are rough as well but are in the process of getting taken care of. Rough can be rough if you are off the fairway. No bridges yet on a couple holes but you can see posts in the ground where they will be soon. The sidewalk/jogging trail comes close to a couple tee/baskets but not a big issue because the park isnt that busy.
Other Thoughts: Kind of in the middle of nowhere so not alot to do other then golf. No beer anywhere near here so plan accordingly. There is a huge park for the kiddos to play at while you golf. and of course, First Monday is available the first weekend of every month. Keep that in mind for spouses and that will be a very busy weekend in Canton. Very cool course with different level tees, you can play out here all day because of it. Enjoy, the City of Canton went above and beyond.