Crown Point, IN

< Prev 1 2 3

2-4    11/14/2015   11/17/2015
Review By: SneakyJedi
Pros: - Good variety throughout, plenty of interesting lines
- Good, if aging, baskets and great tee signs
- Part of a large, pay-to-play complex comprised of 4 courses and a clubhouse with pro-shop, concessions, and bathrooms
Cons: - Tee pads are a bit too short
- Fairways run close together in multiple locations
- Lacks some of the hazard variety present at other courses on site (water, dangerous greens/fairways due to elevation change)
Other Thoughts: Lemon Lake's Red Course continually vies with Silver/Gold for my favorite course of the complex. It lacks the distance and overall challenge of its big brother, but it brings almost as much shot variety, and its more manageable length results in a round that is fun for a wide variety of skill levels. Red is a mostly wooded course, but the fairways are generous enough to not beat you into the ground on an off day, and there are enough open and longer holes throughout to keep you from getting bored of technical golf. You will throw just about every shot and disc in your bag here, and the course never gets boring. With the exception of the fantastic, top-of-the-world type hole 14 there is little elevation here, but the smaller and sporadic rolling hills that are present are put to good use. Not every hole here is great, 3 and 7 tend to annoy me a bit, but I don't find them (especially 7) as objectionable as many others seem to.

On multiple occasions, fairways can run quite close to each other. Those preparing to throw on hole 3 are at risk of being hit by shots cutting in early from hole 2. Errant throws from Hole 14 can threaten people on holes 2, 3, and 15. There are a couple of other problematic locations, so keep an eye and ear out for stray discs, especially if the course is crowded. Navigation is generally fine, but the close placement of some holes can cause a little confusion, and I usually end up, at least at first, taking the long walk to hole 8 when I forget which way to turn from 7's basket.

Like all the other courses at Lemon Lake, the DISCatchers are getting older, but still catch fine, and it is a great touch that they are painted the same color as the course name. The tee signs for the red course are new since my last visit, and are among the best I have seen with a great, colorful picture of the hole geometry as well as the number and distance. I know Gold/Silver does not have these style signs yet, and was in a bit of a rush and did not see if White or Blue had been similarly upgraded. The tee pads are in good shape, but did not quite meet the needs of my tall friends and I. We found most of the pads to be a foot or so too short for our 6'+ frames to get in an adequate x-step or run-up. This issue was heightened by the fact that the ground behind and/or in front of the tee pads was frequently eroded away, preventing a comfortable run-up from starting behind the concrete pad.

The Red course is usually the first or second course I play every time I visit Lemon Lake. The fun factor is probably the highest of the course for me, and I wish I lived closer and could play all the courses on the complex more often. As it stands, my infrequent trips usually only allow me to play two, maybe three of the courses: Silver/Gold and Red usually being the two, as in my most recent visit. The clubhouse with discs and concessions adds great added value (when open), and helps make this a true disc golf destination. Do yourself a favor and take an entire day to play as much golf as you can at Lemon Lake, then drive over to Three Floyds brew pub for some great beer, and talk about all the awesome disc golf you just played with your buddies.

1    11/21/2011   11/21/2011
Review By: AdamE
Pros: The Lemon Lake Red course has a great shot variety with plenty of anhyzer shots for RHBH players, a wide variety of hole length ranging from 200 - 550ft. I especially like some of the longer wooded holes and the challenges they present. This course definitely forces you to hit your line go get birdies. This course is mostly wooded and shots lacking control and accuracy are usually punished leaving you struggling to get par. A few of the holes have good elevation changes that impact how you throw that hole.

While there aren't many elevation changes on the putting greens to make traditional challenging putting greens, a number of the baskets are well protected (but not unfairly) by trees which can make them tough.

The signage here is excellent making it very easy to navigate this course. The tee signs list the distance and have a good hole diagram which is very helpful, especially your first time here. The tees are a mix of concrete and grippy brick so I didn't have a problem with them.
Cons: The course seems a little crammed in some areas. In a couple places, my decent drive wandered very close to or on another fairway and I still had a long putt.

A couple holes have long and short baskets in the ground at the same time. I suppose this could be a pro or a con depending on your point of view. I didn't care for it because I threw at the first basket I saw when I'd rather play the longs if I'd known there was a choice, but local players probably know about it and like the choice.

When I was here the ground was very soft and muddy in places, but I understand it recently rained so I won't hold that against the course.

I wasn't a big fan of hole 7 which is a 300ft hole with a dogleg right. I like holes that make you shape shots and think about landing zones, unfortunately this hole is so short and tight it doesn't seem like golf shots to me. You pitch a putter 100-150ft off the tee so can turn 90 degrees right and throw it another 150ft. Because of the mando there's no risk/reward because it's basically impossible to go for it.
Other Thoughts: The Lemon Lake complex is most definitely worth going out of your way to spend a day or two playing here. While all courses here have nice variety on their own, as a whole the courses also compliment each other well. It's very cool that the baskets, posts for the tee signs and benches are color coded to match the course you're playing.

I see why this is the most popular course of the four here. The fun factor is huge and the challenge is definitely present.

Lemon Lake Red

1    7/3/2011   10/6/2011
Review By: ElementZ
Pros: This course is truly excellent, by every meaning of the word.

-The disc golf community surrounding this course is fantastic. It's very apparent that people care about this complex by the cleanliness, lots of signage, and the clubhouse on site.

-The course itself is expertly designed. It has everything required in terms of variety of shots and difficulty. It has huge bomber holes and excellent tight shots that really require pin point accuracy. I feel like the course is also very fair for right handed vs. left handed.

-The signage and the flow of the course was very readable and logical, which is pretty important to me.
Cons: -In the middle of summer the bugs can get pretty ridiculous because it's right by a swampy area.

-The signature hole on this course, #5 (Iron Leaf), isn't really that spectacular. The thing that makes it memorable is if you happen to shoot a 4 or less that you beat Climo. ;)
Other Thoughts: I played this course alone in the middle of July in 100 degrees. The bugs were terrible and after 9 or so holes, I had this crazy nosebleed and I was already out of water. But the course kept me really interested and addicted and I kept chugging along like a champ. I would absolutely recommend a trip to Lemon Lake to spend the day disc golfing here. It was definitely a memorable trip and if I'm ever back in the area, I will definitely play here again, especially since I didn't get a chance to play the Silver course!

Are you "red"-e for disc golf?

1    7/9/2011   7/16/2011
Review By: numbernine
Pros: First off, let me apologize for that TERRIBLE pun as the title of this review.
Anyway...Red. Redheads are notoriously temperamental. And you all know that there are two types of redheads; gorgeous, breathtakingly beautiful ones, and the soulless, freckly gingers who are so ugly that they scare their own shadows. This is the red course. Amazing layout with holes that will crush your spirit if you dare wander off of the known trail. It can kiss you gently on the forehead, or kick you in the taint with a steel toed boot. Red is awesome.

tee pads - all pads were concrete as far as I can remember. And at most pads, there was a place to sit down and/or put down your bag. this isn't something I normally score for or against, but I loved having a place to rest my weary bones as I struggled to tame the wild red beast.

baskets - like white, all of the baskets on the red course were color coordinated...except for the pink basket on one. not super sure what this was all about, but I did skip to the basket merrily after I threw my drive. I felt like the course was trying to set a mood, and who was I to deny Red? She is a needy mistress.

Layout - my god man. From super tight, wooded holes that will eat a disc like a fat kid in a donut factory, to wide open, downhill bomber holes that protects it's baskets with sentry like trees,Red has every thing except the kitchen sink (but you can go back to white for a bathtub). I think It's hole #3, pretty sure You tee off, and the trees literally form a path that curves to the right, with the basket sitting straight ahead, past the natural opening. I can't gush enough about how amazing this course layout is. Long....SUPER long, uphill shots...just great.

Cons: signage - as OK as the signs on white are, they just don't work well for red. the course is too long for the basic, simple signs they have over there. you have length, number and what equates to stickman drawings of the hole. it should be better for a course of this caliber. and that's it for cons.
Other Thoughts: I am in love with this course.
The biggest con is that this course is 3 hours away from me. I would love to live closer to Lemon Lake just so that I could go visit Red and hang out with more. I'd buy it a beer next time, but I don't know if she is old enough. Long, tall Red.

Red Most Popular at Lemon Lake

5+    10/10/2010   7/10/2011
Review By: #19325
Pros: The Red course is most popular course at Lemon Lake. The land has some nice rolling hills and scattered with trees.

The baskets are in solid condition. They are Innova Discatchers that have been painted red. The last time I played several holes had a 2nd pin (kingpin).

There is a wide variety of shots and lines on this course. #4 & #18 have a long tee pad and most holes have 2 pin positions.

Concrete tee pads.

Adequate tee signs.

With the use of the maps on this site navigation is not a problem.

Hole #14 is my favorite hole. Long downhill hole with a great basket placement.
Cons: Although the tee signs are adequate they are nothing special.

Although the tee pads are all some sort of concrete they are all a little different. Some were installed several years ago with brick and others are concrete. They are a little short and some are not flat to the ground and don't allow run ups from behind.

Some of the holes conflict with each other.

This course can get muddy in places after rain.

As the disc technology has changed this is a shorter course for the most part. If you throw mids and putters alot you'll love this course.

Hole #7 is my least favorite hole. Very short placement par 4 with a mando. Putter, Putter, try to get your 3.
Other Thoughts: This is a pay to play facility.

If you are not familar with poison ivy there is some at this facility. Educate yourself and take precautions if you are allergic.

The 2010 Pro Worlds did wonders for this facility. 4 courses with a ton of options. There are plans for a 5th course.

The Homie event every October is a must play midwest event. Great atmosphere and always a ton of people.

Here are the results of Pro Worlds. You can get an idea of how the best players in the world scored on this course.

Long Yet Compact

1    6/10/2011   6/16/2011
Review By: swatso
At the same location as four other courses. Extremely well-stocked pro shop.
A bit confusing at the start, as the most visible basket was pink - is it a practice basket, or is it basket-1? The second most visible basket, straight ahead, was actually number-14 long. After playing to the pink basket, we looked around the corner, and saw, hidden from view from the tee-1, a red basket with a "1" on it.
The course very smartly weaves its way back-n-forth along the gently-rising terrain, through thick patches of mid-sized trees and small, grassy glades. The walk from basket to next tee is never long, but the thickness of the trees and bushes makes you unaware of how close the surrounding holes actually are - very well designed.

With distances ranging from175' to 615', averaging ~350', and nearly half the holes requiring some type of right-turn from the tee, you'll likely find yourself using a wide variety of discs for your first shot at each hole. Although a few holes (1,8,18) are open for nearly the entirety, most of the holes fall into two categories - long, grassy, but somewhat-narrow fairways defined by the bordering mid-sized trees, with the odd tree or two in the midst of the fairway, just to keep things interesting; Or, tighter fairways, more like wide walking paths, but the shorter distances keep them from being oppressive.

To me, this course really nails the length-to-tightness ratio, i.e. tighter holes with sharp turns should be on the shorter, while the longer holes should be more open. Roughly 2/3rds of these holes fall nicely in-between - 250-350', with challenging-but-fair lines to hit, and errant shots typically costing you a stroke - no more, and no less.

With five courses located at a single site, supported by a fine pro shop, Lemon Lakes is a destination which should satisfy a wide spectrum of players for an entire day.

2-4    5/14/2011   5/30/2011
Review By: NKlassy
Pros: great challenging course with many difficult wooded shots. A good test of your ability.
Cons: cant really think of any cons, other than if you have a bad through then you maight be searching through some pretty thick brush to find your disc
Other Thoughts: With so many trees it seemed that with alot of holes your mid-range game came more into affect than your drives.

1    6/22/2010   11/17/2010
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: The Red course appeared to be the most mature of the 4 courses at Lemon Lake. There was a good mix of open, moderately wooded, and then tightly wooded holes with thick rough. Many holes were flat, but a couple holes do have elevation as a factor. There is good variation in the length of each hole ranging from 200' to 570'. The basket locations are a definite strength of the Red Course, providing challenge to a course that is not super long overall. Navigation was not a problem, but I do recommend printing a course map before you come. And of course the concrete tees and nice signs were in excellent shape.

The baskets are one of the coolest features in this complex as they match the color of the name of the course. This also helps you to locate the different courses better when you enter the park, and it helps to spot the correct basket as the courses border each other in many places. (Imagine if the park just had 100+ yellow baskets...!)

The courses were just used for 2010 Worlds so everything should still be in great shape.
Cons: There were some holes that had multiple baskets in place (long and short), and they used different basket models, both painted red, to differentiate (Machs and DisCatchers I believe.) Sometimes this system was a little confusing because I don't believe all the holes had multiple baskets and there were some alternates that you can't see from the tee. The first time through you may just end up playing to the first basket you can see.

There were a couple of spots where there were holes really close together and safety could be an issue if the course was really crowded. I also played after some heavy rains and the course was very muddy in places and so soggy that they were not able to mow the fairways. This is probably not the norm, but be advised if you play during the rainy season.
Other Thoughts: Obviously having 4+ courses in one spot is a huge bonus, especially when they are all good courses. (This course would be around a 3.5 if it was a stand alone, but gets a slight boost when you factor in the entire complex.) I like that each course has its own personality and degree of difficulty. (Ranking: easiest-White- Red-Blue-Silver/Gold-hardest) The Red Course for me was the one I enjoyed the most, probably because I played it the best, but it was also the most fun as it was challenging without being too difficult. Parking for the Red and Blue courses is the same- the first lot on the left.

There is a vehicle entrance fee, but the gatehouse was not always manned. Also, the park workers are extremely friendly and obviously take pride in their disc golf courses.

We had the chance to play these courses as they were making final preparations for the 2010 Worlds. I am sure the courses are in even better shape now since that event has past.

Super Fun, Moderately Difficult

5+    9/29/2010   10/5/2010
Review By: Jukeshoe
This review was updated on 2/23/2011
Pros: - Lemon Lake's Red has an alluring mix of styles and lengths that offers challenges for players of all skill levels. Hole length ranges from under 200 to 500+ ft. The course weaves in and out of light woodland, with clearly-defined, neatly-trimmed fairways throughout. A few open grassy stretches allow bigger arms to air it out a bit, while the shorter-to-moderate lengthed technical holes offer rewards to those with the best accuracy. Protected pin placements, 90 degree turns of the fairway, pinball tree formations, and plenty of line-shaping exercises provide the thrills and spills.
- Several ace runs. Nothing boring or cheap. Some of the shortest holes prove to be monsters if you miss your line as you try to escape from tree prison without pinballing your way to tilt.
- Outstanding amenities: teepads, baskets, signage, benches, trashcans, brooms, restrooms, pavilions, nature/walking trails, playground fortresses, etc. Everything is in new or near-to-new condition and of quality material. Teepads are mostly trapezoidal, level, brushed concrete and among the best I've played on. Good, solid brick tees in one or two places. Descriptive signage with accurate illustrations of each hole's layout and distance. Keeping in theme with the rest of the complex, Red's baskets, benches, etc. are painted in red so there's never doubt as to which course you're currently on.
Cons: - Unfortunately, not much risk/reward generated by means of the terrain (unless you count trees as "terrain.") Slight elevation changes throughout, but not much here to get excited about.
- Some chance of play spilling over from one fairway into another. In a few places, the chance of a disc passing the basket and nearing the next hole's tee area exists, but is somewhat mitigated by brush and/or trees.
Other Thoughts: - I found this course quite pleasurable. Aesthetically pleasing, naturally beautiful, and in outstanding shape, Lemon Lake has a wealth to offer disc golfers of all stripes. As an casual player of modest skill, I found the Red course to challenge me without becoming either frustrating or boring at any point. The Gold course on site crushes players of my skill level, while Red intices us to return with the promise of a bounty of quality discing.
- $7 non-resident, $4 resident parking fee upon entry. $50 buys a yearly pass, an exceptional deal for the quantity and quality of disc golf and other amenities and facilities located on-site.
- 1st tee located near the information kiosk at the first parking lot on the left after entering the park.

The Most Enjoyable Course at LL

1    9/14/2010   9/23/2010
Review By: ArcheType
Pros: -This course, like the rest of Lemon Lake, is beautifully upkept. The fairways are clean, and the course is garbage free.

-The teepads were laid excellently.

-The Alternate teepads and pin positions really change the feel of the holes. Some provide totally different looks all together.

-Some holes have set ups that really punish bad shots, the ditch on 9 in particular.

-The wooded holes were tight and shorter, while there were some longer and more open holes aswell. They were great compliments to each other.
Cons: -Aside from a few holes, this is a very flat course. The major exception being the large downhill hole, which is a nice break from how flat the course is.

-Some holes short tees are tough to find. #7 in particular, if you don't know its there, you'll already be playing the hole when you find it.
Other Thoughts: This was the most enjoyable course at Lemon Lake for me. It is the most well rounded, good distance and technicality, without being too over the top in either. If I were to play another full day at LL, I would play blue first to warm up my arm, then go get beat up by silver/gold, then regain my confidence on white, then play red to see what I learned and improved that day.

< Prev 1 2 3