St. Joseph, MN
Saint John's University Share

Mostly midrange

2-4    11/21/2012   12/3/2012
Review By: Guurn
Pros: This is a tidy little 9 hole course near a University campus playing in a hilly circle. Oak trees are the primary obstacle and long grass is used to define fairways. A course map on granite is near hole one. Hole markers are flat to the ground and granite. DGA baskets were in good shape and caught fine. In general it is well kept up.

I would say this is targeted to the Intermediate players with a nod to Advanced working on midranges. The holes are surprisingly well designed and most are not gimmes. Since the hole length is in the 230' to 300' area for all but 2 holes and one of those two is 158' you don't need a driver. The 502' hole isn't something many people could deuce so it falls in the fairway driver/mid-range doable category also.

The walk from pin to tee box is generally short but not always obvious. Like a previous review mentioned taking a picture of the course map is a good idea.
Cons: Teeboxes are natural and eventually this will mean wear. There were no garbage cans when I was out there and I did pick up a beer can while I played. It is a college campus. I hope this doesn't bode ill. No benches..

It isn't a design that will do well if the course is busy. On some holes the pins are too close to the next tee box.
Other Thoughts: Finding this course wasn't easy for me. I should have written down the directions. I just looked for baskets and walked to find hole 1. All in all I think this is a reasonable course but there are better options nearby.

1    11/18/2012   11/19/2012
Review By: jacobsladder
Pros: Nice Signage, slabs placed into the ground, with hole design, distance and par.
Beautiful views of a lake.
Ran into many college girls while walking to the course who informed me that no one ever plays disc golf on this here.
A trail has been mowed that guides you to the next hole.
Cons: Granite markers will sink into the ground and become grown over in time. They also are hard to find if you looking up as you walk
A lot of thorn bushes and holes to step into.
You will have a hard time finding disks even in late fall.

Monktastic

1    9/20/2011   9/20/2011
Review By: ElectricBoogaloo
Pros: --Some of the nicest signage I've seen. High class granite slabs with hole information engraved. Make sure you take a photo of the sign at the beginning as you may need directions later.

--The baskets are in really good shape.

--Really good mix of shots. Open, tightly wooded, uphill, downhill, hyzers, straight and annys are all used in just 9 holes.

--7 has a really fun "shortcut" line through the trees to the hole.

--The bookends, 1 and 9 are very enjoyable holes. 1 is a downhill shot guarded by trees and 9 is a long uphill hole. Nine looks like you should stick to the "fairway", but there is a large mowed circular spot just over the crest of the first hill.

--Very secluded. I was here on a beautiful Saturday and had the course to myself.

--They have plenty of elevation to use in this spot, and they utilize it well on almost every hole.
Cons: --Tight fairways. The fairways are a simple walking path maybe 20' wide. Really easy to stray into the rough.

--No Tees to speak of. You have to keep your eyes on the ground to find the granite slab marking the next hole. After doing that, pick the grassy area nearby that looks the most level.

--The signs "maps" of the hole aren't always spot on. Make sure you scout ahead first and use spotters when needed.

--Private. I'm college age and tried to blend in, but somehow their security was waiting by my car to escort me off campus when I was finished playing. Oops.
Other Thoughts: For a nine-holer, it's hard to argue with the quality of this course. The monks do a great job of maintaining the land, and with a little more work on the tees, this course could be a highly enjoyable quick round.

Par is quite generous. There's nothing like shooting -10 in the span of 9 holes.

Stop in if you're in the area, but try to be extra sneaky. If I went to school here, I'm not sure I would get much done when the weather is nice.

1    7/18/2011   8/7/2011
Review By: Vetiver1978
Pros: new course in St. Cloud area
Cons: very narrow fairways bordered by tall / thick weeds
didnt see any signage or discernible t-box locations (threw from pin to pin)
over all a very rough looking course in its early stages of developement
Other Thoughts: I'm thinking that this course is still a work in process. I can't see them leaving it as is....