Denison, TX
Munson Park Share
Uploaded By: HB553 Hole #12 (Taken 12/2011)

What Every Public Course Should Be!

1    9/5/2015   9/8/2015
Review By: CloudKoF
Pros: +Clean/Well maintained Park. Nice scenic views and terrain w a cool estate nearby is nice eye candy on early holes.
+Concrete tee boxes and hole information top notch.
+Course layout is really good. Flows well.
+Fun elevation, obstacles, and lines to throw throughout entire course.
+Challenges you to be versatile player. Power, skill, accuracy, and creativity are put to the test.
+I really enjoyed the verticality and versatility of this course
+ # 3 with it downhill, #5 & #7 with it's OB line and up/down, #8 with the stone hill, #12 with the stone hill/obstacles/road view, were the most memorable.
Cons: -Main information board is very helpful, but with my memory I couldn't remember where the tee boxes for #10 & #11 were. They are a little out of way compared to others. I pulled up the map from the phone and the hole #'s are illegible. I eventually figured it out, but would have been nice to see it on the phone. Note:The tee box info may have said the direction of the next tee box, but i didn't notice.
-Scorecard holder was gone.
Other Thoughts: +By far one of the top courses I've played. Just not a whole lot of negatives to say about it. Great course and highly recommend a drive up.
+Met a friendly local/regular as I was finishing. Said most people play after 9 am.

Challenging Course

1    4/19/2014   4/19/2014
Review By: Carter
Pros: This course is in a good looking and well maintained park. It is also clean. The use of elevation makes for a fun round. Excellent chains and teepads. The layout of the holes flows well. Roads serve as OB on many holes adding some difficulty to a forgiving course. Most trees are spread out enough to make for clean lines to the basket.
Cons: The main downside in my opinion is that there is a lack of distinct "golf" lines from many of the tees, sometimes requiring accurate drives to landing zones in order to set up for an up and down to the basket. Generally, this isn't a bad quality, but it gets redundant and makes you feel handcuffed a little. There are some dead trees that are slated for removal that have drooped into the ceilings of the fairways closing off lines a bit.
Other Thoughts: Pars can be easy to come by even playing all holes as 3's rather than what is marked on the signs, but there are very few birdie opportunities, so bogies are hard to come back from.

Overall, this is a challenging course that is laid out very well. The low ceilings mixed with elevation make for tough drives and a unique course. The closest comparison would be Turner Park in Grand Prairie.

1    9/6/2013   9/6/2013
Review By: kbeardo
Pros: Excellent use of terrain.
concrete platforms are a plus.
Cons: could use some benches and trash cans.
their is space to have multiple platforms and holes.
Other Thoughts: the date isn't right when I played, fyi.
I really like this the course.
I go here a lot.

1    5/10/2013   5/11/2013
Review By: gnduke
Pros: Good use of terrain, Good variety of drive directions in relation to the wind. Good variety of optimal shot types, Fairly tight windows on most holes for the "perfect" line.
Cons: could use benches somewhere. Old guys need to rest after some of those climbs.
could use small retaining walls around many of the nice concrete tee pads to level off the approach and follow through a bit.
Other Thoughts: A very demanding course that rewards good shots without overly penalizing the ones that miss by a few inches. Well worth a day trip from DFW.

could be better

5+    2/23/2013   2/26/2013
Review By: donut777
Pros: Great Tee Boxes, not to short not to long. Big baskets for less exp. players :) 5 blocks from home :)
Other Thoughts: dont know why it is so highly rated.. must be an inside job.would be a top notch course if the had alt. basket placement and tee pads. There is enough room to make an entire 18 hole course just north on the same property. and could have had some water hazards added in there.. just saying pour planing H.B.clark.......

Top of my list!

1    8/9/2012   8/12/2012
Review By: Jbot49506
Pros: The course is quite new, the equipment is in great condition. There is great elevation change on the course! There are also some very long holes that really allow you to air it out! The holes were very well laid out too.
Cons: If you play when it is warm out you must bring lots of water! It was 102 out when I showed up, I am from Michigan so this was a bit of a shock to my system. I do not know if I would really say this is a negative though. If you are not in good condition the hills here along with warmer temperatures might be a bit too much.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed this course, its the longest course I have played to date. Even though I am just learning, I felt like the course was challenging yet l made birdies and got par on almost every hole unless I had a wild shot into some tree branches. I was also starting to play right as a local was starting to play right as I was. He was quick to introduce himself and ask me if I wanted to join him. I was able to play with a couple of other locals on the back 9 that were happy to help me out with a few tips on my technique and with shot placement. I really recommend playing this course!

1    4/26/2012   4/28/2012
Review By: StuMagoo
Pros: What an awesome course! The elevation here is like nothing else I've encountered in the DFW. Be prepared for a workout! A great mix of shot variety, you will need every shot in your bag to score well. Not only do you need to throw long, but you must hit your line. The basket locations are expertly set to really make you think about shot placement, and give a great risk/reward factor. The park is set on beautifully maintained land. Large trees provide ample shade and the healthy grass throughout the park makes for a nice fresh feel. Concrete tee boxes and high quality signs are present on every hole, they look brand new. The Innova disc catchers are in great shape and catch very well. I just love seeing the bright yellow bands from the tee box. There is also a nice course map sign in the parking lot, and you can grab a scorecard out of the little box attatched. I'd imagine this course never gets really busy due to it's location, so you shouldn't have any problems with it being crowded. I think I saw 2 other groups there during my 2 1/2 hour round. The locals I ran into were extremely friendly, and made me feel very welcome. I really enjoyed my visit to Munson Park. The fun factor here is off the charts, and it is WELL worth the drive from the metroplex.
Cons: Lack of nearby trash cans. There are pavilions and picnic tables scattered throughout the park that have trash cans but when I needed a trash can there wasn't one nearby. Not a huge deal though. I would have also liked to see a little more water hazard. I remember seeing one small creek/drainage ditch one hole 11, but it was mostly dry. Also I wasn't really paying attention but I did not notice any available restrooms in the park, I could be wrong here. Plenty of places to sneak off into the woods though (sorry ladies I know this isn't always your thing).
Other Thoughts: Wear good shoes with ankle support. The terrain is very hilly and it could be very easy to roll an ankle. Bring lots of water in the summer, this course is very long and physically taxing. Not a good course to bring small children and/or strollers along. I learned this the hard way. There are several playgrounds in the park though, so if the little ones do need to come they will have something to keep themselves occupied if trekking the hilly course isn't their thing.

Great Course

2-4    2/4/2012   2/4/2012
Review By: leeshelton
This review was updated on 2/24/2012
Pros: Played after a semi rainy weekend and it doesn't flood like the flatter courses. This is one of the harder courses I've played. Very technical fairways and pretty long fairways. It's a par 62 course. It's pretty hilly, so you'll be getting a good workout in. Great combination of up hill and downhill holes. They are adding concrete tee pads. That will bring my rating up even higher. I'm glad there is one great course in my area with no real water hazards.
Cons: The con would be a couple holes are right on the parking lot. Amateurs will find themselves there a couple times.
Other Thoughts: Great course that is worth a drive.

Well Done

2-4    1/21/2012   1/21/2012
Review By: mike_james
Pros: Beautifully set up. Nice change from all the flat courses around dfw. Big elevation changes all over the course. Pretty technical for a long course, if that's possible. Not just 450 ft bombs, you'd better hit your line too. The cemetery across the street and the big house or whatever it is, add a really cool vibe to the place. Really clean and seemed to be well maintained .
Cons: Took 2 of us quite a while to play a round it seemed like. Sherriff seemed to be pretty interested in us for no apparent reason. All day. Some of the boxes weren't done yet, but that appeared to be really close to done.
Other Thoughts: Definitely worth the drive from dfw, kind of surprised I hadn't heard more about this course. It's a boring drive that seems to take forever, but it's really only about an hour or so from The Colony. I suppose the heavy sherriff presence is a good thing, but if you are that concerned about me come talk to me and look through my bag. I'll definitely be back though.

The ReaL DeaL

2-4    4/6/2012   11/28/2011
Review By: JeffThroW
This review was updated on 1/8/2013
Pros: The course designer favored having very decent technical fairways instead of boring shorter hole designs Hooray! Only hole one was shorter and it can be lengthened by simply moving back a little farther! No longer just nine holesSweetness! For Texas which lacks nice views mostly this course does have a picturesque view around you toward the north and west! The course is built on a hill but I would only call it major elevation change on hole 3 which was very fun to play(Sweet an Low).Creative hole design at this course force you to have to think about lines to take and aren't just easily walked up to and thrown. Hole 4 was a fun uphill roller shot for me.Hole 6 was a fun downhill roller line i took as well(very fun!).Trees abundant enuff to take away simple lines,(Nice job!)This course was placed in a park that holds very beautiful nicely manicured grasses, you almost feel like not walking on it(not possible) if you've played in the flatter eroded fairways of the Dallas area.Playing in such grass becomes quite a delight.Thought out hole design makes this course worth stopping by.
Cons: Recently alot of nicely placed trees that helped to make the course harder were cut.It looks like they (the City) chose to say they were dead and cut them.3 holes here now are definately easier because of it.The course would turn into a major mudslide on 2-3 holes during rainy seasons.Hole 2.Like I said earlier the course is set in a very very nice grassy hilly area an degredation of these grasses will eventually occur.Luckily,the course is in Denison,TX so the foot traffic will never be as high as another area the course could have been set in where hundreds of people would walk it seasonally.Hole 3(my favorite) says its 533 away but with its downward elevation change it felt more like 450 or less.I two'd.Not a course for beginners with one or two discs.They'd be havin sum trouble.
Other Thoughts: This course is inviting to anyone traveling toward or from the Dallas-Okla Highway 75 corridor,the exit is just north of the last beer store before the okla line(Cheetah on the Run)only a couple miles off 75.The directions tell you to come in off 75 from the north of town definately the fastest way there.