Peru, IN
Maconaquah Park Share
Uploaded By: kingjames1014 Hole #10 (Taken 6/2012)
3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

1 2 Next >
 Old faithful

5+    6/3/2006   11/19/2009
Review By: sportsheros90
This review was updated on 11/30/2009
Pros: Lots of elevation change, tight fairways and is very very pretty in the summertime. Easy to find all the holes, a pavilion for events. Water holes are very cool.
Cons: Only a couple spots to turn it loose and rip it. A couple holes are just kinda weird.
Other Thoughts: I lived about 2 miles south of the park on SR 19. It is a good solid course, not overly long but yet a little challenge. I wish I could get down to play it again soon.

1    9/27/2009   9/27/2009
Review By: BloatedLlama
Pros: Very tight technical course for the most part, their are however a couple of holes that you can really let loose on. The baskets are moved periodically between two different locations. Very good use of elevation change in the park. Plenty of benches to rest at also if you need to.
Cons: The creek that comes into play on several of the holes is not a con, but the lack of any way over it on most of the holes other than going through it is.
Other Thoughts: This is by far the best of the four courses that I have played in the area. If you have problems with lots of elevation changes, you might want to consider playing a different course. I love the fact that most of the holes play though the woods, forcing you to think about your shot and play smart.

Best Course in Peru

1    6/12/2008   8/12/2009
Review By: Anger Monsoon
Pros: This has the best landscape, variety of shots, and challenge in the Peru area by a ways in my opinion. It has elevation changes, good basket placements (long pins are apparently extremely difficult, though I've only played the shorts, which are entertaining and nasty), use of water (great river on three holes, another one on hole 1 that comes into play), and requires a variety of shotmaking and intelligence in order to play this course well.

Awesome risk/reward on this course. There's plenty of technical holes, trees everywhere, and big drop-offs if you miss the fairway or blow by baskets. There's lots of ace possibilities, too. Many holes are reachable in the short position for birdie by recreational players if you throw the shot you're trying to execute. However, some (18 comes to mind, on an island green, effectively, which plays (in the short) a solid 300 to the green with water surrounding it, though you can lay up and play for par; I hear the long is even nastier!) have lots of challenge for more serious players. A couple good open holes on the back 9 for a change. Really the elevation and bitchy fairways here make for risk/reward and precision play, which the other courses in Peru, while very solid, cannot give you; it's one of my favorite disc golf courses in Indiana, if not in the midwest. If I lived here, I'd play the hell out of this course.

Note that the water on most of the course is navigable to get discs back, but I dunno if I'd go into the water on 18 if I couldn't see my disc.
Cons: The baskets are old and rough-looking. This course in general could use better maintenance and could be a really great course if taken care of better and trimmed back a bit. Don't leave valuable stuff in your truck bed or unlocked car (somebody stole a cooler of tasty Michigan beer from me while playing, which really pissed me off, since then not only was I beerless, I was angry; though that one's probably my fault for leaving it out there; still, you think disc golfers would have a little more respect). As others have noted, the signage could use a little bit of work.
Other Thoughts: The course is a little wild, and as such it's not for recreational players that don't want to be forced to improve. There's some crazy people around (and be careful of hitting them while playing). It's Peru, after all. If you're used to playing open courses or flat courses or courses that don't have a little weird edge to them, this is a must play. You can definitely injure yourself on this course if you're not careful. But then where else do you get to try to figure out how to throw 150' down a blind crevice to a basket at the base of it without blowing by into the river behind. There are lots of shots like this that you won't find at other midwest (if any) courses.

Probably it's a must play anyhow on your trip to this strange disc golf mecca of central Indiana. I'd give it a 4.5 if it was cleaned up and better groomed. The 3/5 review that it currently has makes me sad. I can see why people gave it that rating, because the course and equipment need some TLC, definitely, but I'd rather play a little beat up weirdo course like this that offers such awesome variety and elevation and water than play some perfectly-groomed flat, open, short-ass course any day.

Purely Peru

5+    2/13/2009   2/17/2009
Review By: discflinger
Pros: This course is in the heart of Peru and is free to anyone who enjoys a day in the woods. Features tee signs and trash can at every hole. Concrete tees and a practice basket near the parking lot. There is also a nice shelter that the league uses. Well wooded with alternate hole placements for different looks though I know not who or how they are decided. Good use of elevation. Creek runs through almost entire course. Mostly tight wooded shots with a couple chances to air it out. Recomend to any level player.
Cons: Look out for the natural spring walking to your drive on 18; stepping into that is purely disgusting.

Great for being a public park

1    1/9/2009   1/10/2009
Review By: zud00
Pros: Variety of holes-long/short, wooded/open, flat/elevation changes. Pavilion with picnic tables, creeks make some holes challenging, good signage giving distance and visual maps. Alternate pin locations. benches at every tee, nice tee pads.
Cons: Lack of bridges/crossways over creeks or ravines. Older baskets. A few holes were difficult to find. Long walk from parking lot to first tee.
Other Thoughts: This course was actually a lot of fun to play for my first time. I enjoyed the difficulty of the elevation changes. The creek(s) that run through the course are well integrated into the course design and come into play on many holes. As larry mentioned, there were several holes throwing from an elevated tee or throwing to an elevated basket.

I'd say that 2/3 of the holes were in the woods and the other 1/3 in the more open areas allowing you to let off a bomb on a few holes. Fairways were open allowing you to find a clear path to the basket.

There were a few holes that crossed the creek or a steep ravine that did not have a bridge where I thought one should have been. There were several very steep and tall ridges. I had my disc bounce off of a tree and land on a ~70 degree slope and threw from there; it made for a most interesting shot.

Overall, I'd sum this course up as a must play when in Peru. It is just on the south side of town seperating Honeybear Hollow from Mississiniwa and Peiradise. If you have time, I'd suggest playing this course, but bring your hiking boots and repelling gear.

My Experience

5+    10/11/2008   10/12/2008
Review By: Greck
Pros: Very nice elevation changes and some really cool shots. e.g. tee box down to basket 50ft drop. Tee box to basket 50ft incline. Lots of trees on the front 9. Back 9 opens up a bit with some picturesque shots.
Cons: Baskets are very old and were not very well maintained. Fairways were not well keeped, lots of brush and poison oak and ivy as well as thorn bushes. Overall it seems to be lacking in care from both the club and park mgt.
Other Thoughts: I have played this course years ago and at that time it appeared to be slipping in they way of TLC, it has great potential some wonderful shots with lots of variety. Would love to see it upgraded. We drove 2 hours to play and was an ok experience. Used to be one of the great courses in my eyes back in the early 90's.

1 2 Next >