Geneva, IL
The Links at Wheeler Park Share
Uploaded By: notapro Hole #17 (Taken 8/2011)

Two Things I Would Do To Help This Course.

1    6/28/2016   6/30/2016
Pros: If I lived near this course, I would do my best to see that these two little projects get completed. First I would walk the course and either tape (bright colors only) or paint, a rung on the basket pointing to the next tee pad. This would have saved me quite a bit of time.
Secondly, I would work with the park's department to bring in some wood chips and wood chip a 15 foot circle around the baskets and put in a wood chip border around the tee pads. It would so improve the ambiance of the course. Some chips could also be put down in sections of the wooded part of the course.

The course starts near the street by the mini golf course. The pads are rubber mats and it sounds like players aren't real happy with them when they get wet. There is a course map and course sign at the beginning along with a picnic table. The simple tee signs show the basic information.

The large park has lots of mature trees and a little rolling elevation.

I liked # 7 with it's pretty golf course like fairway. 11 was a fun downhill toss through the tree window to a visible basket.

Nice on-line map. Navigation would have been frustratingly difficult without the map.

The course plays at a very, relaxing recreational level. Better players will want more challenge than this course can give them.
Cons: # 17 sign is missing.

Large dirt areas around pads and baskets is unpleasant to see.

Lacking challenge, dufficulty and length.

Other Thoughts: There's so much for me to like about this course. As many before me have stated, the course is relaxing. You don't need to worry about 5' high grass or ugly rough. There is no nasty swamp crossings to fret about.
I could enjoy plying this course on a regular basis but.......I would put next tee tape on the baskets and I work to get wood chips around the baskets and tee pads. It would improve the park's looks and help disc golf's image, too.

A Walk in the Park

5+    7/6/2014   7/31/2014
Review By: SneakyJedi
Pros: - Decent variety of looks off of the tee
- Nice park setting for a casual round
- Quality baskets and decent signage
Cons: - Rubber teepads can get quite slippery for a while after rain as they retain water mud and dirt for a good while.
- Not many particularly challenging holes or lines to hit
- Navigation can be difficult in a couple of spots your first time out
Other Thoughts: This is a nice course for a quick, casual round in a pleasant park. You can easily play this course in under an hour without rushing. There are very few chances to lose your plastic, and while not likely to be particularly challenging to intermediate and beyond players, it has enough variety to not be boring. A handful of holes, like 11 from the top of the hill, are quite fun and offer a bit more challenge.

The rubber teepads can result in less than ideal bordering on dangerous footing after a bit of precipitation. I have slipped multiple times on wet and muddy pads, and several areas of the park around the pads will remain muddy for a while after it has rained.

I spent a decent amount of time looking for the teepads for a few of the holes my first time out, so taking a picture or bringing along a copy of the course map for your first time out is advisable.

Overall, The Links at Wheeler is a fun course for a casual round.

3.2

1    4/17/2014   4/18/2014
Review By: Jashwa
Pros: Wheeler Park is a beginner friendly pitch and putt course that offers a variety of shots off the tee. I found myself using forehands and backhands, hyzers and anhyzers, which made for a well rounded 18 holes. The course provides good opportunities to try different shots without the risk of going into a nasty rough and ruining your score.

The course is located in a well maintained multi-use park. Rubber tee-pads are in good shape.

There is limited elevation on site, but the design makes the most of it with a fun shot off the top of a hill on hole 11 (I think).
Cons: The park that this course is located in was buzzing with activity on my visit. In addition to about 30 disc golfers, there are roller bladers, mini-golfers (yes there is a mini golf course here) and other park goers. It's a very busy park which brings up safety concerns in addition to ruining the scenic getaway that many disc golfers enjoy.

Though there is plenty of variety in shots demanded off the tee, the course is very easy. One of the middle holes is 160 ft with almost no obstacles. The only truly wooded hole on the course is less than 200 ft as well.

Even erroneous drives will have an open look at the basket on their second shot.

A lot of the distances on the tee-signs are over estimated, unless I can throw a comet 350 feet. On a related note, there is no chance for big arms to let loose here. Almost every hole requires only the use of a midrange.
Other Thoughts: I'd go here again if I'm in the area, as the round was really quite relaxing and enjoyable. The golf here is not going to blow your mind, but for a casual round it's great.

A suburban course done well

2-4    8/11/2013   8/12/2013
Review By: kirkmanbrandon
Pros: A nice little gem in the middle of the Chicago suburbs. It has a great mixture of terrain, wooded areas and elevation that keeps the course both interesting and challenging. I found myself really enjoying the challenges of holes 11, 12 and 14, especially since 14 is one of the longer holes you can just let loose on. A very well maintained park with nice markers and signs for all the holes.

Also conveniently by an excellent pro shop (Ace and Chains: Check them out if you got time before or after your game http://www.acesandchains.com / great selection and some fun rare finds!)
Cons: Sadly there are a few things holding it back from being a 3.5 or 4. The tees are rubber, which would be nice if they didn't retain so much water and dirt on them after it rains or storms. On top of this the layout of the course is very confusing if you don't look or take a picture of the hole layout before playing. You will spend a good amount of time trying to find hole 13 if you didn't pay attention earlier.

Also it'd be nice if they had a few longer holes. Not a big deal since most of them are very fun and well laid out but it'd be nice to have the chance to really let those drivers fly on some longer holes.
Other Thoughts: A very fun and entertaining course that is just a few adjustments away from being great. If you're looking for a bigger and better challenge, check out the Oswego course but if you're looking for some light and casual fun then this is a great stop.

The links @ Wheeler Park

2-4    9/8/2012   9/19/2012
Review By: LeddZepp8687
This review was updated on 1/1/2013
Pros: -Lots of trees (That dont like disc golfers) that play into each hole well. Not a whole lot of wide open shots here.
-Rubber pads that are in pretty good shape
-Good utilization of the terrain in regard to basket and teepad placement. Most holes have enough obstacles in and around the fairways to make things interesting.
-There is a pretty high demand for a wide variety of shots here. Lots of spots where a good straight shot will get you to the basket but there are also a lot of holes that require a good hyzer or anhyzer to get you to the basket.
Cons: -Navigation! The first time I played here I played the first two then found myself on hole 16, as time went on I found myself confused and wondering where to walk to next.
-Few spots where fairways or walkways are a little to close for my likings, Everytime I've been here there has been a group of wild-armed players in the group behind or in front me and I could see the potential for someone to get blasted by a wild flying disc
-Few too many holes packed into this relatively small property
-Alternate teepads, Or lack thereof. There are a few holes that I think could easily have an extra pad added onto it.
-Par ratings, I mean I could understand a par 4 on a massively long hole, But this course lacks just that.
Other Thoughts: I like this course, its a fun play as an alternative to my home course (kress creek farms) but I don't feel overly challenged when I play here. I really feel that if they were to omit a couple holes here, they could make this course into a really good 12 hole course.

If you live within 20 or so minutes away, it's worth the drive. I would say this is one of the better courses around as far as distance from my house is concerned.

1    7/28/2012   8/2/2012
Review By: DocHaole
Pros: Overall this is a solid 18 hole course set up in a well maintained city park. The course gives a good mix of open shots with protected pin placements and the added surprise of some elevation changes. Although it is not overly challenging the course offers a variety distances and obstacles that make it fun for begginners and still fun for more experienced players. . . I mean birdies are fun right?

I am assuming that the course has been recently re-designed because all the tees were marked with distances.

The course is clearly well maintained and well used by the local disc golfers. Although there were other park users in the area, for the most part they did not come into play.
Cons: As a new course with a lot of potential it seems like it is still a work in progress. I don't have any major complaints about the course other than it is relatively short. Experienced players may find this a bit easy, most holes you are looking at a birdie putt, or an easy drop in 3. Navigation might be tricky if you don't have a map the first time, but with the map it's pretty easy.
Other Thoughts: Thank you to folks that got this course up and running. The area needs a solid 18 course and I think this has the potential to be something special. The easiest fix in my mind is to start adding alternate pin placements. It seems like there is room in a few places to throw in 1 or 2 400 footers just to mix it up.

I haven't been in the Chicago area for a year and a half and I am so happy to see 2 new 18 hole courses near my old home. If I still lived here I would be spending most of my time at this course, I really want to give it a better rating, but it's just not there yet.

Homecourse love

5+    7/20/2012   7/21/2012
Review By: infinategem
This review was updated on 1/29/2013
Pros: Requires many throws. Beautiful park with good use of trees, yet plays open so novice players dont get crushed (there is room for arrency). Maps and facilities available.
Cons: Tricky layout, it could have been easier to navigate. Packed with novice players especially on weekends! lots of foot traffic like dog walkers and runners.
Other Thoughts: Small to medium course length. Lots of lines available to throw, but doesnt crush your score if you miss them. Worth a stop! And within thirty minutes you can reach five 18 holers,

Love this course

5+    1/11/2012   1/19/2012
Review By: tarzan0608
Pros: I love this course, if you disregard their pars and just play 54, this course offers many challenges. Varied distances, some open holes, some wooded. Also some fun elevation changes (see holes 12 and 16)Obstacles provide different options for a variety of different ways to attack each hole. i dont use rollers or anything, just RHFH and RHBH on everything, and ive shot 2 on every hole here at some point. They changed 5 and 6 around, i guess there was a problem with discs flying into the street, but i like the new layout.
Cons: Tee boxes, tee boxes, tee boxes. I cant stress this enough. its usually better in the summer, but they really need to go concrete, it would really solve a lot. It can be busy at times, with families in large groups (sometimes 8-9, WITH STOLLERS!) who dont understand etiquette. But most people are very cool if you make them aware. It is also a park, so sometimes you have to watch for the usual stray kids, joggers, dog walkers, etc.
Other Thoughts: Overall, i love this course. Great challenge for experienced players, but still a very fun course for beginners. Check this place out

Beautiful park, course with potential, fix the tee pads

5+    12/24/2011   12/24/2011
Review By: Gill
Pros: This course is located in a fantastic park that offers a wealth of possibilities. With a few changes, it could get to a near championship level with a rating of 3.5-4.5 from me. As it is, the course offers a variety fun shots (low ceilinged shots, rollers, thumbers, forehand rips, touch putter shots, skip shots, spike hyzers, etc).
The course has a lot of open space, is lightly wooded, and has some small rolling hills. I like most of the holes, although there are a few too many deuce-or-die shots. A delightfully tight and scenic ending hole 18 (which I've yet to play as well as I should) wraps up this course and makes you look forward to the next round. I did have some issues with this course but as a change from the majority of my hometown North Carolina courses, this one was a delight.
Cons: My biggest con with this, aside from the oft-mentioned terribly rutted tee pads, is the par rating. I can't stand increasing a par in order to make newer players feel like they're doing well. This game is hard damn it, and you should have to work at it to get a par or birdie. No hole out there is a par 4. There are some long holes and some very difficult holes with tough lines to hit (see hole 13), but with decent technique and power every basket can be reached with a drive.
Other Thoughts: New courses always have some growing pains. In the southeast, we have to beat down some scraggly foliage because we're inundated with a sea of woods. In somewhat open courses such as this, baskets or pads may need to be moved for the course to achieve its potential. This course really has the stuff for some awesome holes, and maybe even legitimate par 4s. More space along and in the wood line behind hole 12 could be used to pull apart some of the earlier holes and stretch out the course. Some super fun safari holes are possible out here (original #5, hole 12 to 9s basket, 8-16, 1-2, 7-13!! etc). In short, this is a solid 2.99 rated course with room for growth. Get some real tee pads and it's immediately bumped to a 3+ course in my book.

Improved

2-4    6/1/2013   7/13/2011
Review By: #19325
This review was updated on 6/4/2013
Pros: **UPDATE ALERT 06/01/13**
Several holes have been redesigned and some clearing has been done. The course is quite a bit better than the last time I was here.

Wheeler Park is very well kept. Most of the park is very flat with scattered trees. A few holes play on the side of a hill with some heavy trees and rough. A couple of holes have minor rolling terrain. The grass is well maintained and cut. Hole #1 tee pad is located on the east side of the miniature golf course. Restroom facilities are located on the west side of the miniature golf course.

Brand new Discraft Chainstar baskets. The baskets have yellow tape on 1 rung to point you in the direction of the next tee.

Nice tee signs.

This course will force you to throw creative shots. I threw rollers on hole 1, 3, 4, 8, 13, & 17. Hole #11 I threw a thumber skip shot. There are a ton low ceiling shots and difficult angles.
Cons: This course should be worthy of 3 stars but i'm knocking off a half disc for the 2 following reasons.

1. It is unacceptable of a park like this to have framed crushed limestone tees. This is a very nice park and wealthy community. Everything in the park is top notch and pristine. The tees are already starting to rut and will continue to get worse as time goes on.

2. I'm not sure who designed this course. If Midwest Disc Golf designed this course they should give the money back to the park district. There is a reason Chicagoland disc golf does not get respect. This is due to the poor design of so many courses. In the day of modern disc golf and the number of resources avaliable it's unexcusable to design a course like this. This land offered potential for a very solid 3.0 to 3.5 disc course. Possibly a 4.0 disc course.The current product does not meet the potential the land offered.

3. I've learned the park district has already made changes due to poor design on a BRAND NEW course.

Navigation can be difficult in a few areas.

There are a few classic walk back holes. The best example is #6. You play down the fairway to #6. You walk the entire fairway back to get to #7 tee pad. This park was a clean slate. There is no way this should happen.

Several tee pads and baskets conflict. An example of this is #2's basket and #3's tee. You throw right next to the basket of #2 to get to #3.

#13 is one of the dumbest holes i've ever seen on a disc golf course. When you play it you will know what I mean. One guy was walking around ahead of us looking for the basket for 10 minutes. The tee handcuffs you where it's placed. The basket is placed on the other side of the grouping of rough and trees. The best option is to throw the disc as hard as you can and hopefully penetrate thru the rough. It really is one of the dumbest holes i've ever played.

When it comes down to it this this course is not that fun. You rarely get to throw the disc and hit a line and watch it fly. There are low ceilings and bad angles for disc flight. After I completed playing all 18 holes there really isn't 1 hole that I say "that is a good/great hole".
Other Thoughts: Campton Hills 9 holer in St. Charles is only a few miles away. It's very short but has some unique elevation. It's worth the play if you are in the area.