Geneva, IL
The Links at Wheeler Park Share
Uploaded By: geognerd   (Taken 7/2012)
Practice Basket

< Prev 1 2 3
Very Fun Course

5+    9/27/2014   10/7/2014
Review By: RDHan
Pros: This is my favorite course in the area to play. Granted, that may not be saying a real lot but to get to real good courses one has to travel to Rockford or Joliet (or perhaps Round Lake but I haven't got to the course there yet).

The course is a very nice park. The park is heavily used but I rarely have much trouble with others getting in the way. The course can be played relatively quickly. My wife and I often play 18 holes, have a sack lunch in the park, and then go back for another 18.

I am an average golfer who can throw only max about 320 feet. So the distances here mean that I can have a shot at getting a two on many holes with a good drive. But they do require a good drive. The good thing is there is good variety in the holes so they require different shots. There are only a few places where an errant drive may put you in the woods with a hard second shot. It would be hard to lose a disc here and an errant drive can often be corrected. What this means is the course is not as challenging as really good courses, but it makes for a good relaxing round. So for the casual disc golfer like me, you can go here and aim to shoot under par. Really good golfers will be well under par.
Cons: As others mention, the tee pads can get slippery. Not just after the rain. Sometimes dry dirt can build up on them and make them just as slippery. I will sometimes tee off next to them when I feel the pad might be dangerous. I will say, however, that I do find the rubber mats better than just having rocks or dirt so I am glad they have been added.

First timers will have a hard time finding their way. Try to follow others or even better print the course map on this site before you go.
Other Thoughts: To summarize. The Links is just a very fun course with needing lots of different kinds of shot to make an enjoyable day of disc golf. But if you are a better player looking to be really challenged with obstacles and distance then you may have to travel a bit. (The one exception may be the 18 hole course in Streamwood which requires much longer drives. But I still prefer the Links.)

A Walk in the Park

5+    7/6/2014   7/31/2014
Review By: SneakyJedi
Pros: - Decent variety of looks off of the tee
- Nice park setting for a casual round
- Quality baskets and decent signage
Cons: - Rubber teepads can get quite slippery for a while after rain as they retain water mud and dirt for a good while.
- Not many particularly challenging holes or lines to hit
- Navigation can be difficult in a couple of spots your first time out
Other Thoughts: This is a nice course for a quick, casual round in a pleasant park. You can easily play this course in under an hour without rushing. There are very few chances to lose your plastic, and while not likely to be particularly challenging to intermediate and beyond players, it has enough variety to not be boring. A handful of holes, like 11 from the top of the hill, are quite fun and offer a bit more challenge.

The rubber teepads can result in less than ideal bordering on dangerous footing after a bit of precipitation. I have slipped multiple times on wet and muddy pads, and several areas of the park around the pads will remain muddy for a while after it has rained.

I spent a decent amount of time looking for the teepads for a few of the holes my first time out, so taking a picture or bringing along a copy of the course map for your first time out is advisable.

Overall, The Links at Wheeler is a fun course for a casual round.

3.2

1    4/17/2014   4/18/2014
Review By: Jashwa
Pros: Wheeler Park is a beginner friendly pitch and putt course that offers a variety of shots off the tee. I found myself using forehands and backhands, hyzers and anhyzers, which made for a well rounded 18 holes. The course provides good opportunities to try different shots without the risk of going into a nasty rough and ruining your score.

The course is located in a well maintained multi-use park. Rubber tee-pads are in good shape.

There is limited elevation on site, but the design makes the most of it with a fun shot off the top of a hill on hole 11 (I think).
Cons: The park that this course is located in was buzzing with activity on my visit. In addition to about 30 disc golfers, there are roller bladers, mini-golfers (yes there is a mini golf course here) and other park goers. It's a very busy park which brings up safety concerns in addition to ruining the scenic getaway that many disc golfers enjoy.

Though there is plenty of variety in shots demanded off the tee, the course is very easy. One of the middle holes is 160 ft with almost no obstacles. The only truly wooded hole on the course is less than 200 ft as well.

Even erroneous drives will have an open look at the basket on their second shot.

A lot of the distances on the tee-signs are over estimated, unless I can throw a comet 350 feet. On a related note, there is no chance for big arms to let loose here. Almost every hole requires only the use of a midrange.
Other Thoughts: I'd go here again if I'm in the area, as the round was really quite relaxing and enjoyable. The golf here is not going to blow your mind, but for a casual round it's great.

Great Play!

5+    11/6/2013   11/9/2013
Review By: MarkG
Pros: Wheeler park is great. The fact that you get that wooded mixture is fantastic. For the most part, a beginner course.. but still very fun to play. Park always stays in good condition for the most part. In the summer they have scorecards you can get up front at the mini-golf stand. But for the most part this course defiantly goes down in my books for being one of my favorites. At least my favorite locally for me.
Cons: The one thing I don't enjoy about wheeler is that after it rains things can get a little weird on hole 11. There's a humongous hill in which if it has rained prior to the day playing, you will slide right down. Not fun.. But other than that the teeboxes are great and it's just overall a great course.

A suburban course done well

2-4    8/11/2013   8/12/2013
Review By: kirkmanbrandon
Pros: A nice little gem in the middle of the Chicago suburbs. It has a great mixture of terrain, wooded areas and elevation that keeps the course both interesting and challenging. I found myself really enjoying the challenges of holes 11, 12 and 14, especially since 14 is one of the longer holes you can just let loose on. A very well maintained park with nice markers and signs for all the holes.

Also conveniently by an excellent pro shop (Ace and Chains: Check them out if you got time before or after your game http://www.acesandchains.com / great selection and some fun rare finds!)
Cons: Sadly there are a few things holding it back from being a 3.5 or 4. The tees are rubber, which would be nice if they didn't retain so much water and dirt on them after it rains or storms. On top of this the layout of the course is very confusing if you don't look or take a picture of the hole layout before playing. You will spend a good amount of time trying to find hole 13 if you didn't pay attention earlier.

Also it'd be nice if they had a few longer holes. Not a big deal since most of them are very fun and well laid out but it'd be nice to have the chance to really let those drivers fly on some longer holes.
Other Thoughts: A very fun and entertaining course that is just a few adjustments away from being great. If you're looking for a bigger and better challenge, check out the Oswego course but if you're looking for some light and casual fun then this is a great stop.

About the House Score Cards

5+    5/18/2013   5/18/2013
Review By: egerdes
Pros: They offer free score cards at an entrance booth.
Cons: It would be nice if the scorecards had the course design printed on them because the course keeps changing its layout. The score cards (unless they've been corrected in the interim) show hole 16 as a 3 and the course as par 66. The hole is actually a 4 (and is marked so at the hole), and the course is a par 67. Also, because the course design keeps changing, it is too easy to go to the wrong hole, especially when it used to be the right one. Clearer marking would be helpful.
Other Thoughts: This is a very nice course, overall. If I were in charge, I'd space the holes farther apart on the front nine so they don't crisscross so much, and then I'd put in some permanent tees, preferably concrete or rubber tire compound.

Geneva

5+    11/11/2012   11/12/2012
Review By: kevdiv48
This review was updated on 12/3/2012
Pros: Variety of shot types- you can easily throw hyzers, annys, rollers, thumbers and tomahawks all in a single round here.
Nice baskets, very new and catch well
Pretty good signage, the posts have number, distance and a basic map of the hole
Little chance of losing a disc
Nice setting
Beginner and family friendly
Practice basket
Many holes are short enough for ace runs
Cons: Lack of concrete teepads
Counter intuitive walks between holes
No hole over 355'
Can interfere with other park activities
Lack of pro/alternate teepads
Other Thoughts: Geneva is your type suburban DGC in a nice public park. There have actually been a handful of changes since the course was first installed in July of 2011. The initial gravel/limestone teepads now have rubbers mats on tops, which have actually stood up well and work well as long as the weather is mostly dry. Some landscaping has been done, especially on 12 where there initially was a super thick patch of bushes you were expected to throw through. A few holes have been lengthened to make them more challenging. The course seems somewhat subpar considering what a nice plot of land it is. A few tweaks here and there would really improve this course. All negatives considered, this is a course I can play time and time again and still enjoy it.

the links

5+    9/28/2012   10/3/2012
Review By: booradly
Pros: -course is in a very nice park
- course maps and score cards are available at the mini golf concession stand
- has many chances for making a challenging shot
-a few good mature trees that make you plan your shots out bit not so many that you get frustrated
-has one or two good chances to ace
-has several holes that you can let your arm lose
-almost no chance of losing a disc
-solid signs around the course that make it easy to know where the baskets are and tape on the baskets that point you to the next tee pad
Cons: - im not a fan of the rubber tee pads they have here a few are sunken down on the right side from getting so much use
- the park can get crowded some times both on the course and people using the walking paths
the far east side of the course is very close to a busy road
Other Thoughts: -i hate hole 11 so much you tee off from the top of a hill and basically have to throw straight down in order to avoid the tree on both sides and is very unforgiving
- i was there one afternoon a few weeks ago and right around hole 9 or so high school track practice started and i almost took out groups of runners who did not seem to know there was a disc golf course there
- this is one of my favorite courses in the area its a solid play for how close it is to my house

The links @ Wheeler Park

2-4    9/8/2012   9/19/2012
Review By: LeddZepp8687
This review was updated on 1/1/2013
Pros: -Lots of trees (That dont like disc golfers) that play into each hole well. Not a whole lot of wide open shots here.
-Rubber pads that are in pretty good shape
-Good utilization of the terrain in regard to basket and teepad placement. Most holes have enough obstacles in and around the fairways to make things interesting.
-There is a pretty high demand for a wide variety of shots here. Lots of spots where a good straight shot will get you to the basket but there are also a lot of holes that require a good hyzer or anhyzer to get you to the basket.
Cons: -Navigation! The first time I played here I played the first two then found myself on hole 16, as time went on I found myself confused and wondering where to walk to next.
-Few spots where fairways or walkways are a little to close for my likings, Everytime I've been here there has been a group of wild-armed players in the group behind or in front me and I could see the potential for someone to get blasted by a wild flying disc
-Few too many holes packed into this relatively small property
-Alternate teepads, Or lack thereof. There are a few holes that I think could easily have an extra pad added onto it.
-Par ratings, I mean I could understand a par 4 on a massively long hole, But this course lacks just that.
Other Thoughts: I like this course, its a fun play as an alternative to my home course (kress creek farms) but I don't feel overly challenged when I play here. I really feel that if they were to omit a couple holes here, they could make this course into a really good 12 hole course.

If you live within 20 or so minutes away, it's worth the drive. I would say this is one of the better courses around as far as distance from my house is concerned.

Nice Park and 18 Holes

1    7/8/2012   9/18/2012
Review By: 4_Of_Spades
Pros: Located in a nice old park among other activities.

Had some nice holes, I really liked the steep downhill shot on hole 12.

Moderately wooded throughout with a mix of moderately long holes (~300') to short ace runs (~125').

Baskets were good and I think signs were being added. Tees were okay.
Cons: Course was pretty short. Was able to drive and putt on every hole.

Not much punishment for bad drives.

Holes can be close together and some are near other park users.

Navigation was an issue. I think we parked in the wrong parking lot and started at 15 or something. We were fortunate to follow and see where other groups went so we found all the holes.
Other Thoughts: This was a nice course to play and is beginner friendly. I would recommend a play through at least once as it offers a decent 18 hole course in the area. Improvements can be made to this course though.

< Prev 1 2 3