Jacksonville, NC
Hole #2 Approach

NEC

5+    1/28/2013   1/29/2013
Review By: nadrumcapt
Pros: Nice mix of wooded and open holes.
White and Blue tees create two very different experiences. White layout is short but still technical and appropriate for all skill levels.
Blue layout is appropriate for advanced and pro level players.
Multiple shots available on most holes.
Next tee signs both on baskets and nice wood signs on trees.
Tee signs with maps on front nine and in the works for the back nine.
Concrete tees for all white tees and majority of blue tees. Also still in the works.
Cons: Wood privacy fence defining side of fairway for 2 and 13 prevents easy retrieval of discs thrown OB.
The recent redesign means that areas cut through the woods are still a little rough, but are being worn in over time.
Other Thoughts: This course was redesigned by the local club recently. A 2 time world champ recently praised the redesign as well designed and executed. Tee signs and concrete tee pads are being installed on a regular basis, but are not complete.

5+    10/14/2012   10/15/2012
Review By: chainbangers
This review was updated on 11/10/2012
Pros: -Challenging woods holes
-Open holes for a sort of "breather" where you can really let one rip
-Plenty of risk/reward shots
-Multiple Launch Pads
-Amenities
-Updated Signs at all tee pads and baskets directing you to next basket
Cons: -Challenging woods holes
-Areas where if your disc were to land there, you have no hope of getting it back.
-Locals at the course are not very considerate and will not let you play through, especially during weekend doubles.
Other Thoughts: My first course where I learned to play. Probably how all of my future courses will be graded on.

Disappointed

1    9/25/2012   9/26/2012
Review By: ABFutrell
Cons: I had the opportunity to play this course in 2008 while staying at Emerald Isle. I really enjoyed this course (back then). The course had several short holes adjacent to one another, but also had some long open holes to air the disc out. It reminded me of a Horizons course near the coast with some long bombers.

On my way back home this year from Emerald Isle I planned to come to this course again since I had a great experience the last time I visited. I was aware that the course had changed, but I was under the impression it utilized the layout from the Women's National Tournament a few years ago. Man was I wrong.

When I got to the course I could not find hole #1. There were no maps or signage to direct a non-local through the course (I have since found a map posted on this site). Had I known this in advance I would have printed a map, but I didn't need one before. Luckily a local saw me and knew I would be unable to navigate the course due to the lack of basic elements for any disc golf course.

Even with the local pointing me where to go it was difficult to know which basket to throw to as many of the baskets were turned so that I could not see the number on the band. From hole #5, had he not mentioned to cross the length of a parking lot on the other side of the road, I would have never found hole #6.

On hole #6 I was completely unaware of a creek to the left of basket. I threw a skip shot only to find myself down in the creek.

Many holes seemed to give big arm players an advantage ( I'm an intermediate level player throwing around 350'). Also, some holes seemed one-dimensional. Either you had the capable shot to birdie the hole or you half to settle for playing a conservative par.

I'm not complaining about the difficulty. I do like the challenge to improve my game; however, I am concerned for novice/recreational players. Four years ago I would have been in the Rec. category. I would have had no fun playing this course at that skill level. For those just starting/interested the difficulty of the current course can be a real turnoff.

My home course, Creekside Park, in Archdale, NC features both a 6-hole beginner loop and a championship 18-hole course. This allows for all age groups and skill levels to enjoy the game.

Albeit the original holes for NEC were packed like sardines, they were an integral part for newcomers to disc golf. No new disc golfer will want to play a course where they are constantly hunting for their disc or loosing discs every time they play.

I hate to be so critical with this review, but I feel the designers responsible for the course changes need to be aware of how they affected disc golfers passing by.
Other Thoughts: I would like to see the course configured in a manner that challenges advanced players, but also teaches beginners.

To improve flow it I would recommend removing holes 6 & 7, find places with the current layout to add two additional holes, and instead walk from hole #5's basket to the current location for hole #8. Maybe use 7's current basket for a longer hole #18?

Jville

2-4    6/6/2013   7/29/2012
Review By: jeditden
This review was updated on 6/9/2013
Pros: -Good variety of holes. Starts off with some short wooded holes. goes into some wide open holes, then into some larger wooded holes.
-Multiple tees on many holes, giving you a greater challenge when you're ready.
-Water fountains. I know it's minor, but most parks even with bathrooms neglect these.
Cons: -Slightly seedier part of town. (Let's be honest, most of J-ville is the seedier part of town.) We saw what we are sure was an escort having pictures taken for her website. Seriously short minikirt and high heels walking in the park, as well as different outfits in the car. C'mon now.
-The large power lines overhead on some of the holes emit a rather loud humming. Yikes.
-Confusing layout at first. Be sure to print out a course map.
Other Thoughts: Now that the course is pretty much done, it's in much better shape. Still using some of the original tee boxes, which aren't in the best shape. Especially when the new ones are so nice. Worth the drive every few months to play on something different.

Easy and Fun

1    5/22/2012   5/23/2012
Review By: kdianich
This review was updated on 5/25/2012
Pros: Clean and varied facilities: restrooms, trash cans, ball fields, playground, fishing.
Well maintained park: no trash, no criminal element noticed, landscape maintained.
Ample shade, scenic water, swamp and pretty tree and grass areas.
Excellent use of existing elevation and foliage.
Mostly smooth and level tee boxes were well marked for blue and white. The holes that had only one tee seem to be designated by having both a blue tee post and a white distance post.
Good risk/reward on many holes: deceptively punishing outside the fairway at times, even in seemingly open woods. Knowing your discs and keeping your line really pay off here.
Good mix of left and right holes.
Cons: Some missing distance markers need to be added or replaced.
A few too many open, similar holes, but still not automatic birdies, with the electric wires, breeze and some punishing shule.  If you want to air out some drives, you better still keep them a bit controlled to avoid problems with these.
Next tee signs pointing the way would be much appreciated, although I probably wouldn't need them after this first round. Just nice for visitors like myself.
Other Thoughts: I was visiting from Atlanta, and this course was somewhat reminiscent of one of my favorites and my home course, Rosewood-Dekalb (Redan Park), with its mostly flat, well broken-in terrain and shade.  The mix of tight wooded fairways, more open woods, and open sunny holes was another shared feature.

Overall it was an easy, fun, quick round from the white tees for this 780 rated woman.  Perfect while visiting the beach!  I was shooting mostly 3s, but one of the few times I got off the fairway, I got a 7!  A couple more times through would probably yield a birdie or two. Remember I was playing from the white tees, scoring a 63.

Pretty sure some advanced guys could play the whole course from the white tees with their Roc, since even the long holes require an accurate drive. All I brought was my midrange, an under stable, and a stable disc, since I was traveling, and I wasn't wanting for more discs.

Some well placed shrubbery, to draw attention from the electric wires on holes 13-15, would create some shade and aesthetic pleasure.

Returning later this week for a round from the blue tees did require a lot more skill.  With a lot of luck I scored a 68, so still a relatively easy, fun course. I will def visit this one again. There were some creative alternate routes when I didn't hit my lines, which gives an added fun factor! The blue tees raise my review to a nearly a 4.0, as a well rounded course with something fun for a variety of players.

1    5/20/2012   5/20/2012
Review By: jeffe9062
Pros: All the amenities close by bathrooms, pinic area plenty of parking.Lefts and Rights Open and Wooded nice mix.
Cons: Very difficult to find the next tee box.Could not even find #1 back nine had some wide open holes but if it got crowded I think it would be a mess disc everywhere.
Other Thoughts: Old tee boxes need to be removed to help the confusion factor. Signs pointing to next hole.

Newbie players review

2-4    11/15/2011   11/27/2011
Review By: Jonathan Apple
Pros: This park has everything bathrooms, water fountains, even some water front. The course has a little bit of everything. It has some challenging holes with dog legs, as well as a couple easier straighter shots that give a confidence boost in out game when needed. The rough isn't teribly ungroomed here so finding a disk isn't impolsible.
Cons: Needs more signage and tee pads I've read that this course is still under construction so I'm sure that will change
Other Thoughts: We've only played three courses this one was right in the middle of the three in turn making it my favorite. Castle Hayne was pretty hard on us and Richlands steed park was a little easier. This is my home town park and I truly love it!

A Work in Progress

2-4    9/19/2011   9/22/2011
Review By: DiscJunkie
Pros: Playable White and Blue tees give some variety. Much longer than the old course. More variety of shots, long and short, tight and wide open. Holes are laid out much better. Tees and baskets are spread out so that nobody is in danger. Spread out over the entire property, the holes don't have a claustrophobic feel to them. Several Par 4's from the Blue tees. Lefty and flick friendly. Clearly-defined lines and fairways, you'll still be challenged to hit your line and avoid the penalizing woods.
Cons: Flow and navigation have to be the two worst aspects of the course. Several tees are a hundred feet or more from the previous basket. Print out and carry a course map or arrange for a guide. You will not find your way around otherwise. Their is something to the complaint that some holes are repetitious, but I liked the holes that were repeated.
Other Thoughts: This is a new course and the layout is still a work in progress. I talked extensively to Mike and Kevin during the round and got some insight into the new layout. The tees are natural because they are still tweaking the layout. Once it is final, they will put in large concrete tees. Some of the hole repetition was a result of restrictions that the County put on the layout.
Overall, I liked it. I'd love to give it four discs, but I'll re-visit after the layout ids final. This course is a huge improvement over the previous layout.
Like I said, bring a course map when you come to play, you'll need it.

redesigned

5+    7/17/2011   7/17/2011
Review By: rkrenzien
Pros: -tight technical course that really tests your accuracy.
-you don't need a big arm to play this course well.
-lefty friendly
-long tees make for an entire new course for most of it.
- temporary signs are up until they get new ones.
Cons: -some holes are very similar.
-still needs a little work done to it.
Other Thoughts: very good course in general for it just being redesigned within the last few weeks. needs a little TLC but that will come in time.tee pads and signs are a little rough but as i said the course is newly redesigned. be sure to bring bug spray!