Shelby, MI
Flip City Disc Golf Park Share
Uploaded By: deBebbler Hole #2A (Taken 5/2010)
Hole #2A Mid-Fairway

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 20 21
Over rated but great!

2-4    8/26/2015   8/26/2015
Review By: Journeyman
Pros: Elevation elevation elevation!

This course uses the land as good as any I have played. Cool downhill runs, blind throws over hills and the toughest "greens" I have ever played make this fun and interesting.

Private- no non disc golfers to worry about.

Scenic! Beautiful.

Basically a par 3, with a couple of par 4's. Hard to get into too much trouble, unless you catch a roll of a "green".

Well maintained fairways. Fairways were really nice, roller options if you want.

Benches at most holes.

"Huts" are great!
Cons: Too straight. Most of the holes are straight. I found myself using my Impact on most holes. I played 3 rounds and I think I used my drivers about 10 times total.

Pads are getting beat up, some are pretty badly spalled, makes for iffy footing.

Benches need new seats, they are getting bendy.

Not sure the hole lengths on the cards are accurate.

Other Thoughts: I may get blasted for this, but IMHO this course is WAY over rated on this site. Don't get me wrong, it is a destination course (along with the Ludington courses) and you should make an effort to get here. But, it is no way better than Idlewild or some of the courses in Minneapolis. Is is a solid 4, no higher.

Too many of the holes are straight. While they offer different elevations and trees, they are still straight. Not enough shot selection available.

Again, you want to come here, just don't expect it to be better then Idlewild or Lincoln Ridge. It may belong in the top ten, but not #2.

Be prepared for some high risk/reward putts. The greens are steep and nasty. Makes for some great amusement for your competition and frustration for you. Pile some rocks, it is fun.

Hole 2A is stunning! Top rated.

(leave the speakers and music at home, please, this is a beautiful natural environment, if you want music, bring your ear buds)

Simply Amazing

2-4    8/8/2015   8/17/2015
Review By: TywinL
Pros: Bill has done yeoman work creating an absolutely amazing course on his property, and even more breathtaking is the fact that he only charges a dollar to play his masterpiece. Concrete teepads, creative use of the wonderful variety of terrain and just a unique laid-back feel made for the best day of disc golf I've had in a while.
Cons: Ok, let's pick some nits:

There isn't a creek/river, etc running through Bill's property, so there are no natural water carries. If you feel that's really worth marking the course down over, that's certainly your choice. If there were water on site, and it weren't used I'd agree, but I won't mark a course down for what isn't there naturally.

A couple of the tees could be in better shape, but again I won't mark the course down for that. I've played on courses that cost way more money to play that don't even have concrete tees.

Hole 1 is pretty meh, but it leads to the Magic Kingdom, so I'll forgive it...

Other Thoughts: This course and Mason Co. Beast completely reversed my opinion of Michigan disc golf. After playing two of the worst courses I've ever seen anywhere (including the flatlands of Iowa) I was ready to skip the disc golf portions of the camping trip my cousin and I had planned. Holes 1 and 2 only made things worse. I was really in a foul mood and not ready to love this course at all. I was having trouble envisioning how a course in some guy's front yard got the love it does on this site. By hole 7 my attitude had done a complete 180. At then end of our round I immediately wanted to play the course again. By the end of round 2 I never wanted to leave (well, not quite that, I love Colorado too much to leave. But I definitely wanted to scoop Flip up whole and bring it back out west with me!)

I usually don't review courses unless I disagree with many of the reviewers, but I wanted to thank Bill for what he's created. Honestly, I'm blown away and humbled that someone has done so much work and shares it with the world for next to nothing. If you only leave Bill $1 you're cheating yourself. It seems like every dollar from the course goes back into the course (along with many more). Thank you so much for what you created Bill, and to anyone else who helps you keep up this unique gem of a course.

Worth the Pilgrimage

5+    7/11/2015   7/13/2015
Review By: SneakyJedi
Pros: - Fun and exciting golf for all skill levels
- Fantastic use of elevation throughout at both fairways and greens
- Good variety of holes that both require different shots, and allow for different routes
- Excellent atmosphere unlike any other disc golf course
- Baskets catch well, benches by tee pads, and a couple shelters spaced throughout
- Camping available on site
Cons: - Concrete tee pads are on the small side, and some have minor to moderate spalls, with others frequently covered in sand
- No real tee signs with distance or other descriptive information
- No water hazards, though I never miss this fact during a round
- Only one set of pads/pins
Other Thoughts: After my third pilgrimage to Flip City, and having played many more courses in more states than my first visit 3 years ago, I decided to finally add my review of this amazing course. While my course totals and nation wide coverage are not up to the impressive levels many users of this site can claim, I feel like I have played enough courses throughout this country (including many currently top rated courses) to say that Flip City has an atmosphere and energy unlike any other disc golf course.

My level of excitement while driving down the gravel roads through rural Michigan to this destination course has increased with every trip. Once you park and drop your paltry $3 into the box by hole 1, Flip starts you off relatively easily, but by the time you reach holes 4 and 5, things have really started to ramp up and your adventure up and down the secluded hills of Flip City begins in earnest.

I really don't think there is a bad hole on the course, and the majority of holes could be the signature hole on a lot of courses. A good balance is struck between allowing you to play your, while still requiring sot shaping and variety. The course does play a bit more open, and favors a RHBH approach off the pad more often than not.

The hills and elevation change really are the stars of the show at Flip. Throwing up, down, and across hills, and towards baskets placed in various degrees of precariousness is incredibly fun and encourages thoughtful risk/reward play. I never missed the lack of water hazards during a round at Flip, but it is a design feature not available here.

The level of challenge at Flip is such that even beginner players can enjoy a round without feeling punished by the course, but more advanced players can hunt for the many birdie opportunities and not be bored. Multiple tee and pin positions would be a welcome feature that is becoming increasingly common at new courses, but the quality of golf from the existing layout is strong enough that this lack isn't much of a problem. I have played with people covering a large

The Mach V's are in good repair and catch well, and the benches, shelters, and port-a-potties are all welcome amenities throughout the course. Descriptive tee signs for each hole would be nice, especially since this is a destination course with many people traveling significant distances to play. While the "foul line" at the end of the tee pads are nice, in my opinion the pads are too short for it to be practical. At just over 6' my X-step approach was using the entire concrete pad. Several of the pads also had areas of spalled concrete and/or a significant amount of sandy dirt on them. I slipped 2 or 3 times during my last trip, and while I think I remember seeing brooms to clear off pads on previous visits, I didn't this time.

Every round I've played at Flip City has been immensely fun, there really aren't enough superlatives to describe the experience, you just need to do it for yourself. Even the brand new, played-5-times-before-now player in my group this past weekend appreciated what a great place Flip is, and had a great time. The course isn't without its flaws, but they are so minor compared to the overall quality of the course. Flip City really is among the "Best of the Best", so do yourself a favor and get out there if you can. Make a weekend of it and play some of the other fantastic courses in the area as well.

For those traveling, I have camped at both Flip City and the Mason County Campground near Ludington. Nothing beats being able to get up with the sun, roll out of your tent and play a morning round at Flip City, but for those who want a few more creature comforts, Mason County Campground has real bathrooms, showers, and places to plug in your electronics, as well as being 2 minutes from Beauty, Beast, and Goliath.

Amazing is an understatement!!!!!!

1    5/2/2014   2/26/2015
Review By: jaimem26
Pros: - Great Elevation
- Great mixture of open and wooded holes
- Very clean, well maintained
- Lots of sitting areas (and areas to break for lunch)
- Excellent high risk / high reward opportunities
- Challenging
- Quiet and great scenery
Cons: None that i can think of. Some may say it is too far away from nearest town where you can get food, gas, etc. but i think that adds to the charm of this place. There is something to be said about being out in the middle of nowhere where you dont hear any car traffic and the only noise you hear is the beautiful sound of chains and cheers.
Other Thoughts: Stepping onto this course for the first time I was very excited and was worried that I had set my expectations too high. Boy was i wrong!!! This course surpassed my expectations which were already very high. The scenery is breathtaking and just kept getting better and better as we walked through the course.

Flippin Awesome!

5+    10/27/2014   10/27/2014
Review By: Steven Hultquist
Pros: This course as well as beautiful is very challenging. It has every shot choice imaginable barring water hazards. I would recommend this course to anyone.
Cons: The only con I can think of it is remote and food amenities are somewhat far away. However, knowing that, I would gladly pack a lunch getting the opportunity to play here.

FLIP! The Living Legend

2-4    10/13/2014   10/14/2014
Review By: mrclc
Pros: Flip City Disc Golf Park is a living legend, and it cements its elite status with hole after hole of fun and rewarding golf. The design intelligently incorporates elevation change throughout the 24-hole layout, forcing the player to carefully consider disc selection and shot placement from tee to basket. As a slightly less skilled player, I appreciate that even if your mark isn't hit exactly, there are ample opportunities for creative recovery. The holes are designed in such a way as to give two players of similar skill levels radically different upshots to the basket, but give both players excellent opportunity for birdie or par. Hole 12 comes to mind especially with it's leftward curving, deep pitch fairway. Land far right and enjoy a level, if dangerous, birdie putt. Land in the center and just hope your approach sticks close enough for a par save.

The other hallmarks of Flip design are the fast, rollaway greens. I find it much more frustrating to watch a putt or approach roll for an additional 50 feet than to disappear over a sheer ledge. These greens are one of the biggest risk/reward factors on the course, and a big part of score separation in a round.

You'll find a great variety of lengths here as well. Just when you think you've thrown two similar distance holes in a row, the third one comes along to mix it up.

Flip's natural beauty is something to behold, especially in autumn when I played. Vibrant colors, stunning vistas, and the omnipresent rock cairns are, if you'll excuse the pun, par for the course. There's always something to look at, and often many things. A trip around Bill's property would be an excellent nature walk, disc golf notwithstanding.

If you like your courses chock-full of amenities, you won't be disappointed here. Three covered areas (including the one before Hole 1) on the course mean there's a chance to stop and rest and get out of any kind of weather. Benches and other seating areas can be found on nearly every hole. Two port-a-potties sit at the end of the course and the middle of the A holes.

Concrete tees have been provided, and feature a curved semicircle runoff area at the end to keep feet dry.

The course is squeaky clean, and it's easy to dispose of your own trash in one of the many on-course receptacles.

Baskets are Mach V's in excellent repair.

As many others have mentioned, $1/round is getting away with highway robbery here. Throw in a little more if you're able, as you'll see every dollar of it out on the course. Thanks Bill!
Cons: Tee signs only list the hole number with no diagram or distance information. This can be a bit of a hindrance for the many tourists and first-timers that come to play, but taking a map and a scorecard from the mailbox at the start of the round easily solves that problem. Most pins are visible from the tee, so you shouldn't be too stuck even without these aids.

Flip succeeds on the rich creativity of its design, and not necessarily through harsh punishment of off-target shots. It's possible to gamble and lose yet recover well enough to make par. Players equating a 5-disc rating with masochistic difficulty will likely leave underwhelmed.
Other Thoughts: Flip may not be perfect, but it definitely qualifies as the best of the best. In my mind, design and beauty are the two most important elements of a good course, and Flip excels in both areas. Everything else (concrete pads, benches, more intangibles than a blue-chip point guard) is just gravy. The fact that Bill has singlehandedly created this wonder and graciously opened it up for the disc golfing public to enjoy is nothing short of amazing. It's easy to get caught up in nitpicking elite courses, so instead I'm purposing to recognize Flip City for what it is - a secluded gem that earns its ranking among the best in the world.

1    9/19/2014   9/25/2014
Review By: waterhyzerd
Pros: Not crowded
Adequate teepads
Length AND ace runs
Challenging off-camber basket placements
Nice fairways
Rock sculptures
Cons: Somewhat remote location, but I think that is also a good thing as it cuts down on player traffic.
Other Thoughts: We were able to mob golf (I know, cardinal sin of DG) with a group of eight players on a late Friday afternoon and only had to let two normal sized groups pass. There was really nobody else on the course; mind you we were fully prepared to split up the group if it was necessary.
After about hole four or so, it felt like we were playing on a fairy tale landscape that reminded us of the Lord of the Rings. Very few flat fairways and the greens around the basket were very sloped and fast.
I kept comparing Flip to Kensington Toboggan. I still think the Toboggan is more epic in terms of elevation and the shots required throughout. However, Flip holds its own with the elevation and intensity while providing better overall experience in terms of landscaping, fun factor, playability, and charm.

the Mecca

5+    7/20/2014   9/24/2014
Review By: cltindall2010
Pros: Great elevation changes, challenging fairways, multiple rest areas, and even bathrooms. Consistently well kept and clean. Weekly league night on Wednesday. Camping sites available as well.
Cons: A little far away from the highway, and no night golf.
Other Thoughts: Excellent course every time, look forward to it every year while I am on vacation. If you can only play one course for the rest of your life this is the one.

1    8/11/2014   9/21/2014
Review By: dreadlock86
This review was updated on 9/30/2014
Pros: -makes great use of the land and elevation
-lots of fun holes, ace runs, deuce opportunities
-well sized concrete tee pads
-easy navigation
-benches, trash cans, periodic shelters from the sun or rain
-aesthetically excellent: rolling hills, rock art, woods
-pay to play, only a dollar! it's a steal
-great atmosphere, cool vibes, rustic charm
Cons: -no water
-tee signs are only small numbered signs, but the baskets are mostly visible from the tee and distances are on the scorecards, but...
-sometimes the scorecards are unavailable
-mostly straight shots, few forced lines other than low ceilings, only 1 right-turning hole
-mostly shorter holes, only a few chances to really open up on drives, only 2 real multi-drive holes (2A and 16) out of 24
Other Thoughts: There is literally nothing to say about Flip City that hasn't been said already. The property is magical and the course is tons of fun, one of the most fun I've played anywhere. The scenic beauty and cool atmosphere of this place sets a great tone for your round. Even playing in the rain at 6:00am, I was excited the whole time.

The course makes really effective use of the hills and elevation. There are tee shots going downhill (6, 8, 1A, 13, 18), across the valley (7, 11, 12), and uphill (5, 10, 17). The holes range from relatively open with some trees in play to fairly wooded. Tree lines define the fairways and frequently frame the tee, basket, or both. The course plays fairly short excepting holes 2, 2A, 15, and 16. Most pins can be reached from the tee and only 2A and 16 are legitimate 2-drive holes. Most tee shots are straight with room to play BH or FH, with few forced lines, and only one right-turning hole.

The short holes are fun but for me they made the course feel almost one-dimensional. This combined with the slow start to the course (the first 3 or 4 are typical) made me feel underwhelmed overall with what is one of the most talked about courses and a long time #1 rated course. Of course, I'm also splitting hairs here because as I said before, I had a blast playing my entire round in the rain. And the small touches all over the property from the rock piles to the shelters and benches to the cool spots like the meadow of green 5A and the view from tees 1A/12 all add to the great experience of Flip City.

Probably the best par 3 course you will play. A true destination course that should be on every disc golfer's bucket list. Amazing that it is all the vision and hard work of one man, thanks Bill!

**Like this review? Hate it? Message me and let me know why! I want to make them better!**

Mecca for Disc Golfers

2-4    9/9/2014   9/11/2014
Review By: lildragon
Pros: - Concrete pads on the long tees (extra large pads plus foul line and run off)
- Both short (dirt) and long (concrete) tee positions
- Extremely well thought out design
- Easy to navigate from hole to hole
- Excellent use of given terrain, with lots of use of elevation where possible
- Good mix of risk/reward
- Trash cans every few holes
- Benches and pavilions are plenty so you can take a break when needed
- No gimmicky holes
- Multiple lines to each basket
- 30 acres of land for 24 holes!!! (At times I would forget I'm in someone's back yard.)
- Port-a-potties on site (multiples even)
- Camping available
- Rough isn't very thick and there are paths mowed in the rough to help locate errant discs
- Lots of great little aesthetic touches that add character (rock sculptures, the basket design in the grass, the quartz rock with the metal tracks wrapped around it, etc...)
- Scorecards are provided
- It's only $1/round! (The course is worth more if you asked me)
- Good mix of long and short holes (plenty of long holes for big arms, and lots of ace run opportunities)
- Gorgeous setting with all the types of trees, hills, valleys, grasslands, and glacial rock deposits.
Cons: - Not a single one!
Other Thoughts: Bill has created THE destination course for Disc Golfers IMHO. Most courses I have played might have a single signature hole, or a couple if you're lucky. At Flip City EVERY hole is signature, and I don't think that's an exaggeration. We played 3 rounds over 2 days, and I never dreaded playing a single hole. Bill has shared his passion for disc golf with the public, so let's please treat his land and this course with the respect that it deserves! It is criminally under-priced at $1/round IMHO.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 20 21